Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

LittleBuford

Your twisting more than a wounded rattler on this…

The discussion - at least today - has been about it’s BO performance and how to judge why it is or is not doing well. The Controversy stuff does apply…but not nearly to the level it’s being made out to be.

When we know…and you went from “don’t judge” to making definitive, blanket judgements of what OTHERS are saying without saying it.

That’s a bridge on the river Kwai too far as well
This is word salad to me.

You’ll find me in the other thread actually discussing the film.

erasure fan1

Because my opinion is different from yours. You wrote, “If it falls short of making a profit, that's a fail in my eyes.” In my eyes, that isn’t a fail, which is why I said we have different standards.

And to be clear, I never said there’s anything wrong with your opinion. I just happen not to share it.
That's fine, you don't have to share my opinion.
"By my standards (which appear to be different from yours), The Little Mermaid is not a failure."
The reason I said frustrating, is this statement is in the now. I don't think it's a failure in the now either. What you said in the quote box, I get, and that's fine. By you saying your opinion is different because the little mermaid is not a failure, implies I think it is. And that's not the case Hopefully that makes sense as to why I said it's frustrating.

LittleBuford

That's fine, you don't have to share my opinion.
"By my standards (which appear to be different from yours), The Little Mermaid is not a failure."
The reason I said frustrating, is this statement is in the now. I don't think it's a failure in the now either. What you said in the quote box, I get, and that's fine. By you saying your opinion is different because the little mermaid is not a failure, implies I think it is. And that's not the case Hopefully that makes sense as to why I said it's frustrating.
I apologise if I mischaracterised your position (it certainly wasn’t my intent) and would ask that we move on.

EPCOT-O.G.

Meanwhile, the new Spider-Man film, which had 1/3 the production budget of TLM (2023), is set to make $115M in the US this weekend ($20M more than TLM’s three day total)

DKampy

I’m not sure how to respond to this. Clearly my notion of what constitutes a spoiler is very different from yours.

I’ll repost my review in the other thread and stick to posting there. It’s not like many here are interested in discussing the film anyway.
I don’t really consider the cameo a spoiler…it does not relate to the plot or story at all…just an Easter egg for fans

Chi84

Premium Member
You could say that about Dumbo, Pan, etc. They’re all “fantasy.” The white/black/brown racial politics of this Mermaid cast make little sense and will likely be ridiculed and critiqued by some of the same people who are so ardently defending it now.
They are all fantasy, and the racial politics don’t make sense to me either. Who cares about the race of people cast to play fantasy creatures? It’s the filmmakers’ decision. Are there no longer any real problems in this world?

BuddyThomas

When I came home from seeing this last Thursday, I decided to watch the original on Disney +.

I was as surprised at how many shots were replicated directly from the original, but I was also surprised at some of the animation. I had not seen the original in maybe ten years and I remember loving every minute of it. However, a lot of the animation seems a bit wonky today - on the level of Saturday morning cartoons of that period, including “zany” background music every time a character does a pratfall. It is not how I remembered it and in my opinion, this new film is an improvement in terms of character development and many other areas as well, including the song Wild Uncharted Waters, which is absolutely gorgeous. The old one is still great, but I can see why it got an update.

Many are here to just trash a film they have not even seen. I get it. They want to crap all over things that others enjoy just to make them feel good about themselves and their beliefs that nothing should EVER change, EVER, for any reason. It’s getting tired. How many times do we have to go through this with you supposed Disney fans????

Trauma

Projections of a 61% drop this weekend.

37M weekend.

If projections are correct it’s another financial L for the Dis.

Looks like the Mermaid is going to bellyflop.

Disstevefan1

The movie is a success.

As for the money, the true cost (to make + to market) is all over the place.

One reviewer said they only need to make $235m more to break even. I think that can be done easily.

erasure fan1

One reviewer said they only need to make $235m more to break even. I think that can be done easily.
At the lower end it probably needs around another 400mil if the current 209mil total is accurate. It's hard to pin down as I've seen reported marketing budgets from 80 to 150mil. If you say 100mil marketing, it needs about 600mil to hit the break even point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom