Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

LittleBuford

For those who saw the film, what did you think of Jodi’s cameo? Such a fun and uplifting moment for me!

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

WDWmissionMovies.jpg

Jedijax719

Here are the %'s of global box office that came from overseas for the other live action remakes:
Alice In Wonderland: 67%
Maleficent: 68%
Cinderella: 63%
Jungle Book: 62%
BatB: 60%
Aladdin: 66%
TLK: 67%

And now TLM is hoping for 40-45% of its total to be from foreign markets? How is that not REALLY strange and how could that EVER possibly have been predicted ahead of time? Unless they miscalculated something that was not really seen as being much of a problem and should not have.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

We are getting to the point of critical mass on Rotten Tomatoes' Top Critics rating, currently sitting at a Rotten 48%. Note that Strange World's Top Critics rating was 73% and Lightyear's was 61% for recent comps.
36% for The Lion King and 41% for Aladdin. No-one expected the critics to love this remake.

Oh wait, that would mean that the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, NPR, Associated Press, Hollywood Reporter, etc. are "review bombing" racists. Never mind.
It’s only review bombing when people who haven’t actually seen the film rail against it for personal and/or ideological reasons. (See this thread for examples of such a mindset.)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wouldn’t use the critics tomato-meter as anything definitive…

We’ve seen a lot of critic scores too negative and as many too positive for sure.

Metacritic seems more reliable to ascertain if people actually “like” it as a movie just to see with no preconceptions.

Sharon&Susan

But it was the fifth highest grossing Memorial Day weekend film* and a woman on Facebook really liked it! Doesn’t that count for something?

*domestic only
All this talk about it it being the "fifth highest grossing Memorial Day weekend film" reminds me of how Cleopatra (owned by Disney now lol) was the #1 highest grossing film of 1963... but was so much of a financial disaster that it nearly caused Fox to shut down.
I posted a spoiler-free review here, as did others. Perhaps this thread should be renamed “Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid—for those who don’t actually plan to watch it” if discussion of the film itself is somehow off-topic!
Isn't mentioning that there's a
Jodi Benson cameo
a spoiler?

erasure fan1

By my standards (which appear to be different from yours), The Little Mermaid is not a failure. If I felt the opposite, I would readily say so.
I guess it gets frustrating because, again, I never said it was a failure. But yet you say your opinion is different than mine. Here's what I said again.
As far as the box office goes, it is/was pretty well assumed by most that the movie would make between 600/700mil plus. Will that be a success or failure? Depends on your definition. If the movie makes money, I'd say it was successful. If it falls short of making a profit, that's a fail in my eyes.
In no way did I call the film a failure. It seems that only the negative part of what's being said is looked at, not the whole statement. If the movie doesn't profit, than I'd say it's a failure. I see nothing wrong with that as an opinion. I love Transformers. I might love rise of the beasts, and because of the not so great way the franchise has been handled, it might not profit. If it doesn't, I'd say that's a failure. just like I said prince of Persia is a failure. And I loved the film.

Some seem to take opinions like mine as an attack on their liking of the film. I know personally that if I want more of a certain franchise, it needs to make money. That's why I say if a film doesn't profit, it's a fail. That doesn't mean, well it didn't make money, so I guess I can't like it.

LittleBuford

I guess it gets frustrating because, again, I never said it was a failure. But yet you say your opinion is different than mine. Here's what I said again.
Because my opinion is different from yours. You wrote, “If it falls short of making a profit, that's a fail in my eyes.” In my eyes, that isn’t a fail, which is why I said we have different standards.

And to be clear, I never said there’s anything wrong with your opinion. I just happen not to share it.

doctornick

I posted a spoiler-free review here, as did others. Perhaps this thread should be renamed “Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid—for those who don’t actually plan to watch it” if discussion of the film itself is somehow off-topic!
I feel like the stuff you mentioned could only really be discussed if someone had seen the film. And i kind of thought that’s the purpose of the spoiler thread - to discuss all the aspects of the film amongst those who’ve seen it.

This thread seems to me to be more appropriate to talk about stuff related to the film like the box office or critic/audience scores or release dates, etc. stuff that aren’t dependent on having seen the film. but that’s just how I view the difference. Sometimes I don’t get to see a film for a few weeks after it’s been out and I avoid the spoiler thread but wouldn’t not look at a thread like this.

LittleBuford

I feel like the stuff you mentioned could only really be discussed if someone had seen the film. And i kind of thought that’s the purpose of the spoiler thread - to discuss all the aspects of the film amongst those who’ve seen it.

This thread seems to me to be more appropriate to talk about stuff related to the film like the box office or critic/audience scores or release dates, etc. stuff that aren’t dependent on having seen the film. but that’s just how I view the difference. Sometimes I don’t get to see a film for a few weeks after it’s been out and I avoid the spoiler thread but wouldn’t not look at a thread like this.
I’m not sure how to respond to this. Clearly my notion of what constitutes a spoiler is very different from yours.

I’ll repost my review in the other thread and stick to posting there. It’s not like many here are interested in discussing the film anyway.

MickeyLuv'r

Well if that's the case, why do you keep arguing with people over whether this damn film can already be declared a flop!
Because isn't that what everyone around here is doing? I have no strong opinion one way or the other on the topic of this thread, but, IMO, there is a good deal of all around bickering in this thread. It is tiresome.

These days, I don't go to theaters all that often. I've simply come to appreciate being able to start a movie whenever I want, pause it whenever I wish, rewatch sections if I choose, and not pay an arm and a leg for crummy popcorn. Visiting a theater has to have a compelling reason.

I recently saw GoG. In that case, one driver was that Ilike the ride, and I was eager to see what new music they added to the movie. They may well add the new music to the ride and I wanted to see the movie ahead of WDW adding any new songs to the ride. GoG has added new life to some great songs. It is compelling to me to see relatively young people enjoy them.

Disney and Pixar should make compelling movies.

I came to this thread to find a reason to see TLM. Instead, it is just lots of bickering. You'd think if someone enjoyed a film, they would want to convey the joy they felt. They would want to actually express happiness. This thread is not conveying happy.

Where's the happy?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I posted a spoiler-free review here, as did others. Perhaps this thread should be renamed “Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid—for those who don’t actually plan to watch it” if discussion of the film itself is somehow how-topic!
Your twisting more than a wounded rattler on this…

The discussion - at least today - has been about it’s BO performance and how to judge why it is or is not doing well. The Controversy stuff does apply…but not nearly to the level it’s being made out to be.

When we know…and you went from “don’t judge” to making definitive, blanket judgements of what OTHERS are saying without saying it…then the actual performance and management success or failure will become pretty clear.

That’s a bridge on the river Kwai too far as well

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom