7DMT is currently on fire (11/1/14)

Phil12

No they don't.
Actually they will eliminate pyrotechnics in a few years. Common law in the USA specifically imposes strict liability for inherently dangerous products. Disney has a duty under law to protect guests from falling debris, faulty fireworks and to properly distance guests from fireworks ignition areas. They must also warn guests of the hazards associated with faulty fireworks and falling debris.
They'll err on the side of safety and reduce, then eliminate pyrotechnics in favor of light shows over the next several years.

WDWFantasmicFan

Actually they will eliminate pyrotechnics in a few years. Common law in the USA specifically imposes strict liability for inherently dangerous products. Disney has a duty under law to protect guests from falling debris, faulty fireworks and to properly distance guests from fireworks ignition areas. They must also warn guests of the hazards associated with faulty fireworks and falling debris.
They'll err on the side of safety and reduce, then eliminate pyrotechnics in favor of light shows over the next several years.
Please don't give Disney ideas to make more money out of us! But, by the sounds of it - they will soon have drone projections of fireworks.

AEfx

It's apples and oranges. WDW has operated for decades with this.. what has changed is what they've put into the fallout zone vs the types of structures they've had there for so long.

Yeah, that's the key here.

There is also a reason they used to wet down the tops of the buildings and even close off portions of that area for fireworks some evenings (I never saw it that consistent, so I assumed the amount of stuff they did for each show was dependent on weather, how much wind, etc).

I do have to make the obligatory, "They spent a half a decade building that little mountain and didn't account for this?" Once can be a fluke. Twice like this in the first year of operation? That's potentially an issue.

I have no expertise in this, but I assume it's the rock work that keeps catching - one would think there are coatings/materials that can help alleviate the concern of stray bits like this. I'll be curious to see what more we hear about it - if it just wasn't enough - or if they didn't worry about it at all - etc. I am willing to venture a guess that there are folks internally who knew this would happen but were ignored - because it seems pretty obvious to me that it would be an issue if not addressed.

Phil12

Please don't give Disney ideas to make more money out of us! But, by the sounds of it - they will soon have drone projections of fireworks.
I take it you've already heard about the possibility of using drones to create "floating pixel" or "flixel" displays that may indeed replace fireworks. They've also experimented with "floating screens" that can be dragged through the sky by drones. The technology is fascinating.

AEfx

No they don't.

Do you think they just need to shore up that area in terms of fire resistance, or that they should be moved?

I'm fine with them being moved. I get the whole romantic notion of them being right up on the castle, and the classic imagery, but with only a minority of guests actually ever seeing them perfectly that way to begin with (only so many folks can be dead center on Main Street at a given time), I feel like reworking them further back would be an acceptable solution. That means more would land in the wooded areas, but at least it's not guest areas - and can be monitored - heck, they could even have sprinklers out there to wet it down.

But as I said previously, I have no expertise in this type of thing at all - just seems like the logical solution with my non-existent knowledge of the specifics, LOL.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
By this definition all guns will be banned in the future too...and for that matter cell phones:confused:. Texting and driving is more inherently dangerous than getting hit with falling debris from fireworks.

The only way Disney eliminates fireworks completely is if they have a significantly cheaper way to provide the same level of entertainment.

WDWFantasmicFan

How was that an idea to make more money out of us? The projection equipment they would use is very expensive to maintain.
That is true - but can't be any more expensive in the long run than the fireworks are??

I take it you've already heard about the possibility of using drones to create "floating pixel" or "flixel" displays that may indeed replace fireworks. They've also experimented with "floating screens" that can be dragged through the sky by drones. The technology is fascinating.
Yes I have heard about this - I think the tech is great - but will it ever be a replacement for fireworks - I doubt it. There is definitely a lot of potential with this tech within Disney World.

Do you think they just need to shore up that area in terms of fire resistance, or that they should be moved?

I'm fine with them being moved. I get the whole romantic notion of them being right up on the castle, and the classic imagery, but with only a minority of guests actually ever seeing them perfectly that way to begin with (only so many folks can be dead center on Main Street at a given time), I feel like reworking them further back would be an acceptable solution. That means more would land in the wooded areas, but at least it's not guest areas - and can be monitored - heck, they could even have sprinklers out there to wet it down.

But as I said previously, I have no expertise in this type of thing at all - just seems like the logical solution with my non-existent knowledge of the specifics, LOL.

Or as I mentioned previously, they should have a 'wind show' similar to Fantasmic's 'rain show' which operates fewer shells which won't land in guest areas. Moving launch locations will be an expensive thing to do, and a fire in wooded area would be even worse, especially if it isn't noticed.

Dubman

The ride has been closed for a few hours apparently.. Just says Temporarily Closed on the MDE app.. Wonder if it is related to the damage.. Hmmmmm

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
These were some of my favorite pic's of last night from twitter.

B1ZzuGWIAAA0ZwM.jpg:large

Grace bees
B1Z4jEpCcAAykLS.jpg:large

themeparkreview
B1aZp8jCAAAqYCS.jpg

Todd Henage

and the fire truck driving on the walking paths with guests

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom