$79 Base Ticket

SirGoofy

I don't care what people have to say about "Disney is a business, blah, blah, blah."

This looks greedy in the current economic climate, that's all there is to say about it.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
oh em gee - $80/day to get into the parks....eeeesh I really need to go CT again

Anyone know what the price of an AP will go up to?

Monsterfan99

The kid's ticket price is what blows me away. I know it is Disney and that is their draw but $68 for a kid ages 3-9!!! Even more stunning is the fact the child's price went up a dollar more on a cheaper ticket. Simply amazing it is only $11 more for an adult to get in over a 3 year old.

Wilt Dasney

I wonder how many one-day, one-park tickets are actually sold anymore. I actually started a thread looking at the inflation of the 1D1P over the years, so I'm not immune to the "wow, this is friggin' expensive" mindset, but really — the idea of driving to the TTC to go to Magic Kingdom or Epcot for the day just sounds archaic the more you think of it.

I'm guessing a big part of Disney's real aim with these increases is to make the multi-day deals/APs look that much better in comparison, not to actually make more money on 1D1P's.

Animaniac93-98

I'm guessing a big part of Disney's real aim with these increases is to make the multi-day deals/APs look that much better in comparison, not to actually make more money on 1D1P's.

That is basically the strategy of Magic Your Way.

FYI, my Season Pass to Canada's Wonderland cost $70 CND. 100 some odd days of admission vs. $79 US for 1 day 1 park at WDW.

Value has nothing to do with it, Disney just hates the idea of you going for 1 day.

Lucky

An increase of over 5% when inflation is basically 0% and during a recession, with rising unemployment. Really stupid public relations and stupid business, when you consider they already rely so heavily on discounting rooms and food to keep attendance up.

Tom

Beta Return
Value has nothing to do with it, Disney just hates the idea of you going for 1 day.

Exactly. If you're only there for a day, you don't have an opportunity to shop at DtD, or eat at more than 2 restaurants, or play mini-golf, or rent boats, or go golfing, or, or, or.....

Costs of goods are still going up, even though employment is going down. Inflation happens whether or not we're unemployed, broke or are able to buy an American car.

It costs Disney more to run the parks each year, just as it costs any other business more to do business each year.

These "price hikes" are in no way out of line, in my opinion. I expected something, and these increases are actually pretty small in the big picture.

Look at King's Island in Ohio. Their general admission tickets are $32.99 right now. They have one park, and it's a pretty average amusement park with a bunch of coasters and carnival games. A 1-day ticket to any one of Disney's 4 Theme Parks (with access to their transportation system, and the privilege of being on their 47 square miles of maintained property costs a little more than twice. Go for a week and you're paying the same as you would at an "average" amusement park like Kings Island, Cedar Point or 6 Flags.

I guess I just see the value in what Disney still offers compared to the rest of the entertainment giants.

Maerj

most likely because of this
Walt Disney Co. has a 26 percent profit loss

Yes, but last year the Walt Disney Co. made over 35 BILLION dollars! 26% loss? Boohoo!

Also, under 4 years old used to be free, it looks like they are going to make 3 year olds pay to get in now? Sheesh!

I tell people at work how much it costs and their jaws drop, this was for what it cost last year. I love WDW, I love going there but they really need to stop. Gouging their guests for every cent they can get out of them is the least magical thing that they can do. I know it costs a lot of money to run and maintain the parks. I don't mind paying to get in, believe me. Every trip I've taken there has been worth every penny. But each year it just gets more and more expensive and you get less for it. If they keep this up their profits will drop even more.

MissM

$80 per person for ONE day, non-parking hopping is why it's like 10 years between visits for my mom. People like her enjoy Disney; they think it's fun. But they don't think it's worth anywhere near that much for one day's entertainment.

Maybe they don't need the casual fan market. Maybe they feel they get by well enough on families coming in for a week or tour groups or whatever. But I think they're missing a pretty big segment.

Not everyone wants an AP. Or three or four day deal. Yes, Florida residents get deals on multi-day passes and our Seasonal AP for example is amazingly cheap per day if you go a lot. But some people just want to go once a year. Or a couple times a year. And it's a hard sell to tell someone it'll cost them near $200 for one day. (It's an even harder sell to say that even though the price-per-day is cheaper, that they should spend $130 a person on a Play 3 Day pass. Suddenly, you're pushing almost three hundred dollars for two people.) In this day and age and in the economy the way it is...it's a hard sell.

I don't think the increases are any big deal for someone already coming here for a week on vacation. It's pennies compared to the overall cost of the vacation. But to the common, causal visitor, it's a real turn off. And personally, I think it really widens the gap between the fans and the non-fans. $80 a day per person really isn't worth it for the vast majority of people.

Just my two cents though.

wolf359

I don't think anyone in the entertainment industry is paying very close attention to the rate of inflation, but the fact Disney is only a couple percent higher is pretty surprising to me.

Big-name concert tickets and Broadway musicals already have average ticket prices around $150, and have seen something around 40% inflation over the last few years. So I'm sure Disney feels pretty confident that you're getting something of a bargain when you're paying $80 for over twelve hours of theme park entertainment vs. two hours in a concert or musical.

And when you factor in that $80 is the most you'd possibly spend for a one day ticket, while the strong majority opt for multi-day passes that significantly drop the per-day cost, or are taking advantage of specials like free dining, or are locals that aren't paying full price either and you see a very different picture.

But knowing that the average member at a place like WDWMagic already knows all of this, a lot of the expected knee-jerk howling and moaning over how awful it is for Disney to raise prices just seems silly.

Tinkyroo

I already booked our package so I am locked into the old price, right?

So, does this mean I get $79 for my birthday versus the $75?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom