$79 Base Ticket

Cmdr_Crimson

I already booked our package so I am locked into the old price, right?

So, does this mean I get $79 for my birthday versus the $75?

You should be..I've finalized my booking a few weeks ago and good thing too..

And since it's a Ticket on you birthday which means if it's after Aug 3rd..an extra Fin from Good old Uncle Walt will be a waiting for you!:D

Tinkyroo

I just booked my package this week though. So far I have only given them the deposit money. I don't have to pay it off until October. Would my rate still be lock in even if the balance is not paid yet? :confused:

I do think it is cool that I will get a bit more from Mickey for my b-day gift! :cool:

Tom

Beta Return
I just booked my package this week though. So far I have only given them the deposit money. I don't have to pay it off until October. Would my rate still be lock in even if the balance is not paid yet? :confused:

I do think it is cool that I will get a bit more from Mickey for my b-day gift! :cool:

You're locked in based on the time you made your deposit, as long as you don't change your booking (ADRs don't count as a change).

Tom

Beta Return
I don't think anyone in the entertainment industry is paying very close attention to the rate of inflation, but the fact Disney is only a couple percent higher is pretty surprising to me.

Big-name concert tickets and Broadway musicals already have average ticket prices around $150, and have seen something around 40% inflation over the last few years. So I'm sure Disney feels pretty confident that you're getting something of a bargain when you're paying $80 for over twelve hours of theme park entertainment vs. two hours in a concert or musical.

I never even thought of this when making my argument above! Same goes for almost any pro sporting event, touring musicals, symphony nights, and so on.

WDW1974

It's a price increase across the board (everything from APs to any other multi-day admission media), but folks tend to focus on the one day ... plenty of folks still buy one day tix because that's all the time they have or they only want to visit one park.

Is $79 anymore absurd than $75? I can argue easily that at $79 a day WDW (any park) provides a tremendous value to guests ... and please remember I am a Disney hater!

But I also think this is just dumb, stupid and ignorant considering the timing ... we are in a depression, after all. Instead of raising prices for everything from Dole Whips to Mickey tees to nights at Port Orleans, and then tossing out massive discounting, maybe it would be smarter to just keep prices steady or even drop them a bit on anything/everything ... not that it will happen ... just talking off the top of my head here.

But for those who look at $79 a day as pricey, just realize what a bargain it will sound like in 5-10 years when it'll set you back $99 a day to visit Mickey!

Wilt Dasney

Instead of raising prices for everything from Dole Whips to Mickey tees to nights at Port Orleans, and then tossing out massive discounting, maybe it would be smarter to just keep prices steady or even drop them a bit on anything/everything
But would it attract people as effectively? If people can get deep discounts on overpriced goodies, it might make them feel like they're "getting one over" on Disney, and serve as a more effective carrot than if things just weren't so overpriced to begin with.

Not to mention that if Disney just moderately lowered prices across the board (admission, food, merch, hotels) instead of concentrating heavy discounts in one area like free dining, people might not "feel" like they were saving as much even if it came out about the same.

(Note that Wilt Dasney is not particularly justifying the evident greed here, just playing devil's advocate by imagining how a Disney marketing exec might try to manipulate guest psychology.)

JimboJones123

Why is it that nobody gets this. Each year it is the same.

WDW does not want you to come for one day.

They will penalize you for it.

This is not a new story.

Next year, they will again rais prices over the cost of inflation.

More people will see the value of a 5+ day pass.

WDW wins.

I feel more sorry for the people that cannot bridge the gap that a 10 day ticket is still about 1/3 the cost per entry of a 1 day ticket.

Anger about it does not change the fact that more peope are satisfied with the lower cost per entry.

The only problem is if Universal and Sea World wise up and slash their prices to cut into a chunk of Disney's business.

I have not paid for entry into Sea World in two decades. I have not paid for entry to Universal in a decade and a half.

I would if they were closer to the $30 per day I pay for my park hopper.

TestTrack

Yes, but last year the Walt Disney Co. made over 35 BILLION dollars! 26% loss? Boohoo!

Also, under 4 years old used to be free, it looks like they are going to make 3 year olds pay to get in now? Sheesh!

I tell people at work how much it costs and their jaws drop, this was for what it cost last year. I love WDW, I love going there but they really need to stop. Gouging their guests for every cent they can get out of them is the least magical thing that they can do. I know it costs a lot of money to run and maintain the parks. I don't mind paying to get in, believe me. Every trip I've taken there has been worth every penny. But each year it just gets more and more expensive and you get less for it. If they keep this up their profits will drop even more.

They did not make 35 billion, they made 4.5 billion. The important thing to remember is that this is a 7% return on their investments which is by no means a ridiculous gain. They are doing a good job and deserve the profits they are getting.

jakeman

But would it attract people as effectively? If people can get deep discounts on overpriced goodies, it might make them feel like they're "getting one over" on Disney, and serve as a more effective carrot than if things just weren't so overpriced to begin with.

Not to mention that if Disney just moderately lowered prices across the board (admission, food, merch, hotels) instead of concentrating heavy discounts in one area like free dining, people might not "feel" like they were saving as much even if it came out about the same.

(Note that Wilt Dasney is not particularly justifying the evident greed here, just playing devil's advocate by imagining how a Disney marketing exec might try to manipulate guest psychology.)
This was mentioned in the earnings report that they are looking into this perception and will be conducting research on how discounts affect guest perception.

I post in the other thread and will post it here, that I wonder if we will see a perpetual cycle of discounts that you don't have to look "too" hard to find (kind of like your grocery store discount card). Basically we would end up with three tiers of prices: 1) Rack rate, 2) Advertised Discounts, 3)Discounts that folks here dig up.

Simple fact is people today are looking for a value, and perception is a big part of that.

WDW1974

WDW has been perpetually discounting since the late 1990s.

And people are becoming conditioned to them. Mousesavers.com wouldn't exist if not for Disney's new constant discounting model.

lazyboy97o

This was mentioned in the earnings report that they are looking into this perception and will be conducting research on how discounts affect guest perception.

I post in the other thread and will post it here, that I wonder if we will see a perpetual cycle of discounts that you don't have to look "too" hard to find (kind of like your grocery store discount card). Basically we would end up with three tiers of prices: 1) Rack rate, 2) Advertised Discounts, 3)Discounts that folks here dig up.

Simple fact is people today are looking for a value, and perception is a big part of that.
Perception of value also plays into how people view a product that is always being heavily discounted and places that are always offering sales. That is not the perception that equate world class destination resort.

Wilt Dasney

Perception of value also plays into how people view a product that is always being heavily discounted and places that are always offering sales. That is not the perception that equate world class destination resort.
Is the suggestion here that people might view Disney parks as a "bargain bin" of theme parks, like Wal-Mart, and lose respect for the brand?

If so, I'd note a big difference. Stores like Wal-Mart constantly discount their merchandise and sell it for pretty cheap. Even after all the discounts, a Disney vacation is still pretty damn pricey. I can't imagine people starting to think of Disney as a scuzzy, "cheap" option just because they offer a lot of discounts.

jakeman

So they shouldn't discount?

I know it is anecdotial but one of the things I consistently hear about WDW is how expensive it is. That perception I don't think would change if Disney were to suddenly normalize their prices.

Just like folks have been conditioned to discounts, they've also been condition to a certain amount of gouging by the mouse.

I'm not sure if the current mindset of your average tourist is, "Disney is affordable with these discounts so it must be a steaming pile of poo now." Correct me if I'm wrong but that is what you seem to be implying.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Lost in numbers like $35 billion in revenue is the fact that while profit is up, revenue is down. *That* is something you won't hear any stock trader or TV mouthpiece talk about, they only care about the per share profit. It's also more concerning to me. I care about the per share return, I care about revenue more. Cutting jobs and corners means higher profit, and that potentially impacts guest experience. People like Ed Grier, Jay Rasulo, and Jim Lewis, to me, personify the Disney way of doing anything and everything they can on the cheap, especially in Florida. The typical guest at WDW isn't the returning guest, it's the first timer - they don't know or care about what used to be, they only care about now.

While I despise it, Disney is simply selling to the American psyche - Discounts, discounts, discounts. If there's not a discount or sale, we don't (typically) buy.

Orange Bird

If so, I'd note a big difference. Stores like Wal-Mart constantly discount their merchandise and sell it for pretty cheap. Even after all the discounts, a Disney vacation is still pretty damn pricey. I can't imagine people starting to think of Disney as a scuzzy, "cheap" option just because they offer a lot of discounts.

No, but I can imagine people starting to think that it isn't worth the money.

And to all of you that argue that a day at Disney is less expensive than a broadway show:

If Disney limited itself only to the audience that shelled out $100+ for a broadway show, they would be out of business. A lot more people in this country have been to a Disney theme park than a broadway show. Disney theme parks are successful because they have broad appeal. Broadway still appeals to a very narrow audience by comparison.

This price increase is a stupid and greedy move.

wickedsoccer22

I dont think its that bad. Universal is $75 a day for ONE park, and $95 a day for BOTH parks.

Now if I were to guess that if people were only at Disney for one day, they'd go to the Magic Kingdom. The Magic Kingdom has somewhere between 35-40 attractions.

Now if you went to Universal for a day and spent $95 for both parks, you're only getting around 36 attractions.

Basically the number of attractions is the same but you're paying about $15 more for a day at both parks at Universal than a day at the Magic Kingdom.

So honestly, Disney is still the cheeper choice if people are having a deciding factor to spend either a day at Universal or a day at Disney. Now obviously it changes if you go to a different Disney park but you get the point I'm making.

I don't think raising the prices will hurt people going to Disney, especially when comparing them to their biggest competitor.

So honestly its a win-win for Disney. People aren't going to want to pay higher prices for only a day, so they'll stay longer. And if they do the math and decide between Universal and Disney to spend only one day at, they'll learn that Disney is the cheaper route. *Again if they chose to spend their one day at the Magic Kingdom, which I believe the majority would.

Orange Bird

So they shouldn't discount?

I know it is anecdotial but one of the things I consistently hear about WDW is how expensive it is. That perception I don't think would change if Disney were to suddenly normalize their prices.

Just like folks have been conditioned to discounts, they've also been condition to a certain amount of gouging by the mouse.

I'm not sure if the current mindset of your average tourist is, "Disney is affordable with these discounts so it must be a steaming pile of poo now." Correct me if I'm wrong but that is what you seem to be implying.

That is not what he said at all. Disney was seen as a premium experience and did not offer big discounts from 1971 until 1998. It was a bit on the expensive side but still affordable to the middle class. Now it is viewed as very expensive and the exclusive domain of the upper-middle class and the upper class. Now, when the economy goes bad Disney needs to offer discounts to attract more people. Those people are learning that "DIsney offers deals." They now know to wait for the deals, and many wont go to Disney unless a deal is available. Many other amusement parks, restaurants, and retail stores have fallen into this trap. It's an act of desperation when times are bad, and may hurt the company in the long run.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This price increase is a stupid and greedy move.

That same comment has been made about every price increase... no matter what the situation.

That is not what he said at all. Disney was seen as a premium experience and did not offer big discounts from 1971 until 1998. It was a bit on the expensive side but still affordable to the middle class. Now it is viewed as very expensive and the exclusive domain of the upper-middle class and the upper class

Traveling to WDW was always a premium experience. Lets not forget in your postulation... Disney didn't even have any moderate or value resorts most of those years. 'Value' meant Fort Wilderness.

And I can definitely say 'upper-middle' and 'upper class' are not the types you typically see flooding the parks. It's still the families saving up to goto Disney.

In fact, most would agree that Disney's attraction to the 'upper class' is long diminished. It's resort features are now weak to the competition, it's level of service is well under what you are paying for, there is little to no premium services available in the parks that offer exclusivity or 'space', etc. Disney has always had a premium price - that does not mean it's catering to a more exclusive audience.

An upper class family can goto Vegas and spend Disney-level money and be treated like kings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom