6/25/13 - The Day Spectro Died... Sorry guys..

Figments Friend

If all that is true and I have no reason to not believe you it is pretty obvious that they never intended to ever have it see the light of day (or night, in this case) again. I think that the phrase for that is "planned obsolescence".

Perhaps....but my bets are going more towards 'too much money needed to repair/refurb'.

The units hit by the termites were a mess and would have needed a lot of love...

Goofyernmost

Perhaps....but my bets are going more towards 'too much money needed to repair/refurb'.

The units hit by the termites were a mess and would have needed a lot of love...
Sure, but one would have to come up with a real story to convince me that they didn't already know what leaving them out in that particular environment was going to do to them. So they get the best of both worlds, positive thoughts because they said they were going to bring them back and then sympathy that bugs run the world and gosh darn it the bugs ruined all our plans. Man, it's tough to be a bug! Maybe they should do something with that phrase. Oh, wait...never mind.;)

Goofnut1980

Yeah, while Im not sure we can really blame him or not for this, probably not for the most part, but I havent been too impressed thus far.

True, but it just seems funny... It sat there for 3 years and he comes along and it is gone. Sounds like someone is cleaning up. Plus if it was in bad shape, it cleaned up a hazard that someone could get hurt by.

The Duck

I know that this has been brought up many times but does anyone know who was responsible for Spectro sitting in a tent for nearly 4 years? If a culprit (scapegoat) was singled out, are they still employed with TWDC?

TarzanRocked99-

It probably does seem silly to you and I will admit that I painted that with a very broad brush. Certainly, not everyone feels that way. But, I don't see it as that much different. The parades are as much an attraction as anything else is at WDW. I don't know what their reason was for bringing MSEP back, but, as I was pointing out earlier, I am a product of my first experience being MSEP. I don't know how long it was there before that but I know it was there in 2001, because that was when I first saw it. Spectro, to my knowledge was only there from sometime after that until whenever MSEP returned. I didn't really hate Spectro but I thought it a poor replacement for MSEP, just as you see MSEP as a poor replacement for Spectro. I never have understood those creepy white face masks, either what they represented or how it fit in with the theme of the parade. To stupid to figure it out, I guess. Spectro music was OK, though, in my opinion, it didn't hold a candle to the Baroque Hoedown. Again what we were individually accustomed and first exposed too. I felt the same way about changing the theme song at CoP from the one I first experienced, (Now is the time) back to Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow. I can't tell you how many times I have heard "but it is the original theme song". I understand that I just liked the other one better, that is the one that held the strongest nostalgic bind for me. But, I did learn to like GBBT and appreciate it, even though my favorite was never to be again.

If you have been backstage (I don't know if you have been or not), but, the storage area for any and all parade floats are undercover and if I remember correctly, basically closed in. If environment controlled means hot and humid as the rest of Florida, then I agree but that is where all the floats have been stored, all were subject to the same climate which is why I am having a little difficulty in accepting the rotted away excuse. That should have happened to all of them, not just Spectro.:)
Spectro was being stored in an tent way back beside Central Shops and Dry Dock, it was fenced in but the tent flaps were open. They left it out there and nature took its toll, everyone involved in that decision should be held accountable.

Goofyernmost

Spectro was being stored in an tent way back beside Central Shops and Dry Dock, it was fenced in but the tent flaps were open. They left it out there and nature took its toll, everyone involved in that decision should be held accountable.
Accountable to whom? If anyone would have cared or had a reason to care it would have been taken care of. As I have said before...I don't think they ever had any intention of saving it. It was on the way out and all they were going to do was cannibalize it for the other floats. There is no accountability unless they wanted it to be saved. Disney employees are not accountable to the public only their bosses. From what is being said, I sure that the blessing came all the way from the top and even if the very top wasn't aware of it, I totally doubt that they cared at all. Sooner or later everything in a theme park has an end of life. This was Spectro's swan song.

Seriously, we are supposedly all adults, we don't have to say goodbye to a parade like we are two years old. Anytime anyone wants to see it again...You Tube will be happy to accommodate. I'm not attempting to put people down for their emotional attachment to an inanimate object, but there is a limit.

I am getting sick and tired of losing original WDW park elements without receiving improved replacements. I am not one to dwell on the negative, but it seems that bit by bit we are losing show quality here and the company doesn't seem to care. It is becoming insulting. They provide less yet continue to charge more and expect people to keep crawling back. I can't wait to see the limited edition pins come out with Spectro Magic "dust" in them as if that nod to nostalgia makes up for the fact that one more piece of original WDW entertainment has been removed with no sign of a new offering on the horizon. I hope the D23 convention brings new quality park announcements, I really do, because it gets harder and harder each year to swallow the company line when it often proves to be 'much ado about nothing'.

Kman101

Haven't posted on here in FOREVER haha so I'll come out of hiding and post again. So many feelings towards WDW and it's insane management after reading these boards for so long. Siiigh.

I liked Spectro. However, many would argue the same nostalgia feelings towards MSEP.

It's all about what matters to you personally. Personally, I loved MSEP, it was the parade I remember from going to the parks as a kid. I was thrilled when I went to DCA in 2008 and it was running on one of the nights I was there.

It's apples and oranges. Fact of the matter, both parades are old, tired and it's time for something new. Considering this is WDW management ... their mishandling of things is beyond horrific.

I also think the problem most have, aside from just plain old nostalgia is that WDW more or less put the parade on hiatus but everyone here more or less figured it wasn't coming back. It's their handling of things that is probably THE upsetting factor. How can a company like them run things SO badly?

I liked Spectro, aside from the creepy characters LOL.

Now to move over to the FP+ thread ...

Tomorrowsphere

Wow! that is sad. I saw it twice, it will be missed. got my cd soundtrack. I feel so out of the loop, the newer version of MSEP is still there? The firework show I last saw was Wishes it was ok. Would be interesting to dream up something new... please just don't put clips of Disney films on giant led screens and parade them down Main St.

Kman101

I am getting sick and tired of losing original WDW park elements without receiving improved replacements. I am not one to dwell on the negative, but it seems that bit by bit we are losing show quality here and the company doesn't seem to care. It is becoming insulting. They provide less yet continue to charge more and expect people to keep crawling back. I can't wait to see the limited edition pins come out with Spectro Magic "dust" in them as if that nod to nostalgia makes up for the fact that one more piece of original WDW entertainment has been removed with no sign of a new offering on the horizon. I hope the D23 convention brings new quality park announcements, I really do, because it gets harder and harder each year to swallow the company line when it often proves to be 'much ado about nothing'.

This. I feel the same.

I feel bad for everyone who did love the parade. It didn't get a proper goodbye, WDW lied saying it was going on hiatus when in reality they had no plans to bring it back. It's about numbers. That's all that matters. The better their company numbers look ... that's probably what matters.

But the fact is, people do go back and rarely, from what I've read on here, don't complain about changes like they should. Which is why they keep doing what they are doing.

Not that they'd listen anyway I imagine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom