5th gate

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You're joking about land right?

I just put this very rough map together real quick and highlighted just a few spots you can easily fit a HS size park. If you look at the scale of the parks on the map you will note all 4 parks could easily be built again somewhere.

Also the roads that breakup land is all owned by Disney. So they can move any rode in the way of a 5th gate.

ImageShack.us

For a better view of available land take at the RCID Comprehensive Plan. There aren't as many large parcels of developable land as you might think.

ChrisM

Why not? It has to have been at least 48 hours since the last referendum on my worth.:ROFLOL:

Grating? I look at it more as giving much needed humour and tough love. You'd be shocked (or not) at how many people I 'turn' (and not to the Dark Side) ... how many PMs and notes I get that start with something like 'I used to think you hated Disney and just wanted to cause trouble, but the more I read ...'

FWIW, my personality here is pretty much what it is in real life (except I am much more huggable -- ask most any woman or fanboi!:king:) I don't hide behind a personality here that is false. I don't suffer fools well and I don't like hearing excuses of why things are bad instead of people telling me how they're going to fix things. Again, that's how I am in the Spirited real world, so why create something fake here?

As to my clique, it isn't little. I honestly can't go to any Disney park on the planet without having folks wanting to meet up and hang out and talk. I even feel guilty when I don't have time for many. Not ego. Fact.

Oh, and what am I supposed to be gracious about?

Not a great post.

This is exactly the type of thing that turns off so many. People aren't particularly fond of a narcissist checking items off of their grocery list:

Multiple replies to a single post? Check.
Internal examination self-reinforcing one's own perceived greatness? Check.
Positioning anti-social behavior as a personal strength? Check.
Needless self-aggrandizement? Check.

Good grief, man.

As a reasonably intelligent person, I'm certain you must be at least somewhat aware of how your behavior is perceived. That you persist in it despite that knowledge is insulting.

As for the concept of graciousness, you traffic in a currency that is highly valued here: you are privy to information the vast majority of those who frequent these fora are not. To lord that over those not so fortunate, in fact, to treat them with outright disdain, is the very definition of gauche.

At any rate, I'm quite certain this will all fall on deaf ears anyway or you will insist that my observations are tragically wrong. And so it goes.

ADP2

Do theme park related companies even want to spend a HUGE sum of money on a new theme park today? Building a new park with infrastructure, attractions, buildings, etc would be such a huge risk today I'm not sure anyone wants to think about building a new park. (Let's exclude Legoland since a chunk of the park is built with Legos and is smaller than most theme parks).

Let's look at the most recent new theme parks in the Orlando area (Animal Kingdom and IOA). Both of these parks were half day parks for so long because both Disney and NBC/GE/Blackstone didn't want to make a HUGE capital investiment up front. They built these theme parks with the philosophy they'd be expanded later on. We probably won't see a new theme park built with a full day experience waiting for guests on day one. We'll probably always be left with a new theme park that is half complete unless there's some drastic model change to theme parks in general. Basically, theme parks open as a skeleton of themselves until later on in its existence and then eventually expanded when the park has generated enough capital to pay for its own expansion. Just my 2 cents.

WDW1974

Not a great post.

This is exactly the type of thing that turns off so many. People aren't particularly fond of a narcissist checking items off of their grocery list:

Multiple replies to a single post? Check.
Internal examination self-reinforcing one's own perceived greatness? Check.
Positioning anti-social behavior as a personal strength? Check.
Needless self-aggrandizement? Check.

Good grief, man.

As a reasonably intelligent person, I'm certain you must be at least somewhat aware of how your behavior is perceived. That you persist in it despite that knowledge is insulting.

As for the concept of graciousness, you traffic in a currency that is highly valued here: you are privy to information the vast majority of those who frequent these fora are not. To lord that over those not so fortunate, in fact, to treat them with outright disdain, is the very definition of gauche.

At any rate, I'm quite certain this will all fall on deaf ears anyway or you will insist that my observations are tragically wrong. And so it goes.

Thanks for your opinion.

You are entitled to it (unless Mom sez otherwise). I have no desire to go back and forth about me, so that's all I am saying right now.

Do you wanna discuss the upcoming MAGICal fifth gate or what a poopy-head you think I am.:ROFLOL::eek::drevil:

~GFC~

ChrisM

Thanks for your opinion.

You are entitled to it (unless Mom sez otherwise). I have no desire to go back and forth about me, so that's all I am saying right now.

Do you wanna discuss the upcoming MAGICal fifth gate or what a poopy-head you think I am.:ROFLOL::eek::drevil:

I've said my peace.

As for the illusory fifth gate, wasn't it conventional wisdom that Parks and Resorts were overleveraged even before the Avatar announcement?

The worldwide development cash outlays appear substantial, but I'm nowhere near Disney's books. How stretched out are they with what's currently known to be in the pipe?

Why would anyone want a "5th gate" anyway. I would much rather disney just expand the current parks. Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom should be made into "more than a 1 day park" like Epcot and Magic Kingdom

TP2000

Not anymore...

That is so bizarre that TDO canned an upgraded Disneyland-style Fantasmic!, especially after Disneyland already did all the leg work in '08-'10 for WDW and has the fresher product up and running nightly.

I wish Disney wasn't so secretive and there would be a really good business book written about the trials and travails of how decisions like that are made by the likes of TDO, while simultaneously TDA on the other side of the country makes what appear to be opposite decisions. It would make a fascinating read!

But thank you for keeping us updated here, as well. :wave:

majortom1981

hmm

They have the land. The land use plan that was linked to states something about 2,000 acres of usable "suitable" land that can be used. This is not including empty land inside the parks.

I just do not see a new park yet because there are soo many closed and dying rides inside the current 4 parks that need to be repalced or filled. Just in epcot you have a resteraunt that sits closed most of the time, and a whole pavilion that sits closed and unused.

Disney can build a lot of new rides in the current parks without needing a new park.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They have the land. The land use plan that was linked to states something about 2,000 acres of usable "suitable" land that can be used. This is not including empty land inside the parks.

I just do not see a new park yet because there are soo many closed and dying rides inside the current 4 parks that need to be repalced or filled. Just in epcot you have a resteraunt that sits closed most of the time, and a whole pavilion that sits closed and unused.

Disney can build a lot of new rides in the current parks without needing a new park.
Are you referring to that former restaurant and pavilion that makes Disney dump truck loads of cash by being utilized year round for special events and private functions?

Disaddict

Sorry but I had to weigh in here. I have you ignored but annoyingly enough I can still see your posts when others quote you. :(

Why not? It has to have been at least 48 hours since the last referendum on my worth.

It's usually a lot less than 2 days. ;)

I look at it more as giving much needed humour and tough love. You'd be shocked (or not) at how many people I 'turn' (and not to the Dark Side) ... how many PMs and notes I get that start with something like 'I used to think you hated Disney and just wanted to cause trouble, but the more I read ...'

Sure. :rolleyes: And tough love? That's a good one.

FWIW, my personality here is pretty much what it is in real life (except I am much more huggable -- ask most any woman or fanboi!:king:) I don't hide behind a personality here that is false.

Wow. I always thought people like that attracted one another.

I don't suffer fools well...

Suffer fools? Do you actually use that term often? How arrogant can you get?

As to my clique, it isn't little. I honestly can't go to any Disney park on the planet without having folks wanting to meet up and hang out and talk. I even feel guilty when I don't have time for many. Not ego. Fact.

Oh, nevermind. Now I see how arrogant you can be. Wow. So you have people with puppy love in their eyes just following you around with adoration do you? :rolleyes:

You're actually pretty ridiculous. I know there are people here, like Lee, that know what they are talking about when it comes to Disney. I know there are people here, like Lee, that are respected. You seem to be neither. I swear to God, all I ever see in any post of yours is (I'm going to paraphrase here...) "I am the smartest person on the planet. All you others are mere fools. And Disney sucks!" Do you even realize you come off sounding like that? I truly hope you have no idea that you do otherwise you are worse than we thought.

Now please, come back with something witty... Oh wait. I can't see it unless it is quoted anyway. ;)

Lee

Adventurer
You're actually pretty ridiculous. I know there are people here, like Lee, that know what they are talking about when it comes to Disney. I know there are people here, like Lee, that are respected. You seem to be neither. I swear to God, all I ever see in any post of yours is (I'm going to paraphrase here...) "I am the smartest person on the planet. All you others are mere fools. And Disney sucks!" Do you even realize you come off sounding like that? I truly hope you have no idea that you do otherwise you are worse than we thought.
I appreciate the kind words. I only wish the ones directed at my friend '74 were as kind.

Here is the thing. It's as simple as this.
When reading a discussion forum like this one, the smart move is to pretty much completely disregard how someone says something, and focus on what they are saying. Who cares about someone's posting style or if they seem arrogant? Complaining about such things is a complete waste of time, especially when there are more important things to discuss.

Whatever you think of '74's style (which is good enough for some major media outlets...) you should all be aware that his information is top-notch, his sources impeccable and his analysis is spot-on. You can disagree with his methods, but anyone who looks at the substance of his posts, and is being objective, can see that he is telling the absolute truth.

That truth may not always be pretty, but such is life...:shrug:

WDW1974

I am trying to be nice with you Disaddicted because you are new here. For all I know you are a 15-year-old. But since posts concerning me are obviously OK with the mods here, I am not gonna simply ignore or allow shots at me without dishing it back out.

Suffer fools? Do you actually use that term often? How arrogant can you get?

Yes, I do. I'm even an intellectual. With mutiple degrees on my walls and involved in media my entire life. There's nothing arrogant about that statement. I am not calling anyone in particular a fool, but if the label fits ...

I am a thinking Spirit and I enjoy conversing/arguing/debating others whether we are likeminded or not.

I wouldn't call anyone who can debate me logically and rationally a fool. I probably wouldn't even think it.

Oh, nevermind. Now I see how arrogant you can be. Wow. So you have people with puppy love in their eyes just following you around with adoration do you? :rolleyes:

Surprisingly, yes. People really do like me. I haven't figured it out either.:ROFLOL::drevil::king: ... But maybe they just are intelligent enough to appreciate my history, experience and perspective on Disney and major media.

Lee?!??! Respected.??!?! He is one of my dearest friends and I am not sure I'd say I respect him.:ROFLOL:

You know, I have never said anything like what you are writing above. It sounds like someone with major insecurity issues that has decided instead of improving themselves to take shots at someone they know nothing of.

Maybe you just aren't capable of engaging in the type of intellectual back and forth that some of us here enjoy, so maybe you should shut your pie hole and stick to conversations where you don't feel so inferior.:wave:

Now please, come back with something witty... Oh wait. I can't see it unless it is quoted anyway. ;)

Case. Closed.

Next?

~GFC~

Thrill

You're joking about land right?

I just put this very rough map together real quick and highlighted just a few spots you can easily fit a HS size park. If you look at the scale of the parks on the map you will note all 4 parks could easily be built again somewhere.

Also the roads that breakup land is all owned by Disney. So they can move any rode in the way of a 5th gate.

ImageShack.us

The bulk of that land is comprised of nature reserves or is otherwise unsuitable for construction.

WDW1974

I appreciate the kind words. I only wish the ones directed at my friend '74 were as kind.

Here is the thing. It's as simple as this.
When reading a discussion forum like this one, the smart move is to pretty much completely disregard how someone says something, and focus on what they are saying. Who cares about someone's posting style or if they seem arrogant? Complaining about such things is a complete waste of time, especially when there are more important things to discuss.

Whatever you think of '74's style (which is good enough for some major media outlets...) you should all be aware that his information is top-notch, his sources impeccable and his analysis is spot-on. You can disagree with his methods, but anyone who looks at the substance of his posts, and is being objective, can see that he is telling the absolute truth.

That truth may not always be pretty, but such is life...:shrug:

I think I love ya, man ... in strictly the platonic way ...:D

And thanks for the backup, but all that will likely do is have more insecure whining posters on your back and calling for your head.

Why can't people use their brains? Just think and read and learn ... is it really that hard?

Oh, and what's wrong with my methods?:eek: You've been playing it Mr. Cool and laidback:cool: and you still get flack and get attacked and people still don't want to listen to RATIONAL talk.

BTW, did you see there are now THREE threads going on the fifth mystical theme park? My European trip can't come soon enough!:)

~GFC~

njdan

well a 5th park would be nice but I think the refurbs and updates disney is doing( fantasyland, avatarland in Fl and carsland and all other updates in Ca.) is a heading the right way. I think some other updates might be better before they add a new park.

trr1

For a better view of available land take at the RCID Comprehensive Plan. There aren't as many large parcels of developable land as you might think.

you are correct

pages 12,13,and 14 show
page 12 Maximum Development – Through 2020
page 13 Projected Land Area To Be Developed Through 2020
page 14 Future Land Use Map Through 2020
page 35 Composite Suitability Ratings
page 42 Undeveloped Lands
page 53 Energy Conservation Features

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom