5th gate

njDizFan

Never get involved in a land war in Asia
Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line
Never get into a war of words with the Spirit(unless you are the Mom with an edit button)

ChrisM

Who cares about someone's posting style or if they seem arrogant? Complaining about such things is a complete waste of time, especially when there are more important things to discuss.

I have no truck with you, Lee, but in the realm of communication both the medium and the manner do matter. And in a medium such as this, which is fashioned a bit more like a community (in which relationships and personalities tend to matter) and less like a bulletin board (which is more about the simple process of exchanging information) the manner matters even more.

Whatever you think of '74's style (which is good enough for some major media outlets...) you should all be aware that his information is top-notch, his sources impeccable and his analysis is spot-on. You can disagree with his methods, but anyone who looks at the substance of his posts, and is being objective, can see that he is telling the absolute truth.

Top notch information and impeccable sources with a certainty. Analysis? That strays more into the realm of the subjective and away from "fact".

Thrill

With current technology. Give it 20 years and unsuitable can become suitable.

Theoretically, they can probably do some terraforming. However, the water has to move somewhere, and it's still a highly expensive process, to my knowledge. It's not worth the money to convert swampland into land strong enough for construction, because all that does is open the opportunity to spend hundreds of millions, or, more likely, a couple of billion, on a park which will take quite some time to recoup its investment, if it ever happens. A decent park would probably cost at least $1.5 billion. And that's a low estimate, based on the fact that they are dropping almost that to expand California Adventure, which opened for $500 million and had some expansion in between. By comparison, Tokyo DisneySea cost $4 billion, and has had quite a bit of expansion since opening.

That doesn't account for the cost of cannibalization, which would require billions in expansion investment at the 4 current parks.

Given the costs of building a new park, converting swampland is especially not a worthy investment when they have large expansion pads at the existing parks, which are ready for construction.

majortom1981

Are you referring to that former restaurant and pavilion that makes Disney dump truck loads of cash by being utilized year round for special events and private functions?

From what has been stated on these boards they are not used for functions that much. Most of the time they go unused and closed. Also they are being used for functions because they are closed. NOt the other way around. They have space inside their hotels and other places in the parks to move these functions to.

Anyway the pdf linked in this topic states how much land they can build on easily (they feel easily anyway) and where it is. It comes out to about 2000 acres or so . They also have a moderately suitable section which i did not include.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
From what has been stated on these boards they are not used for functions that much. Most of the time they go unused and closed. Also they are being used for functions because they are closed. NOt the other way around. They have space inside their hotels and other places in the parks to move these functions to.

Anyway the pdf linked in this topic states how much land they can build on easily (they feel easily anyway) and where it is. It comes out to about 2000 acres or so . They also have a moderately suitable section which i did not include.
They are used all the time. Both are used extensively for the food and wine festival as well as for flower and garden. Those alone account for 4-5 months of the year. They are rented out for a good chunk of the rest of the year as well. Whether we like it or not, there is a big demand for special event space inside the parks and Disney is more than willing to provide it.

menamechris

They are used all the time. Both are used extensively for the food and wine festival as well as for flower and garden. Those alone account for 4-5 months of the year. They are rented out for a good chunk of the rest of the year as well. Whether we like it or not, there is a big demand for special event space inside the parks and Disney is more than willing to provide it.

It is still shameful. Especially Odyssey. At least the other unnamed pavilion is out of the way. The restaurant is one of the first things you see as you move into World Showcase.

flavious27

No. You missed nothing.

I bet this is how all the 5th gate rumors start up again and again lol

I have been out of the loop for the last couple of months, you know, work and life and all. I saw the announcement of avaland and that was about the last time I was on the boards.

jt04

I have been out of the loop for the last couple of months, you know, work and life and all. I saw the announcement of avaland and that was about the last time I was on the boards.

They are also expanding the MK. Almost a billion dollars between that and Avatar. Plus another billion plus for the new RFID/NextGen technology.

What is with the talk of a 5th gate recently, did I miss something?

That's what I was thinking lol. I'm not saying there is a 5th gate in the works, but this is the longest time in WDW history of them not adding a new park. MK to Epcot was 11 years, then 7 more until MGM, then 9 more until AK. It's been 13 years since AK was built. Obviously, it is unrealistic to expect WDW to keep adding a new park every 10 or so years but I thought this was interesting.

Skipper03

Is there a 5th gate in planing?I heard about the Night Kingdom rumors but Disney never offcialy announced it.So could we see a 5th gate any time soon?Beacuse i think we need a new park beacuse Animal Kingdom is what 12,13 years old? WE NEED SOMETHING FRESH!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my....

Crockett

Banned
That's what I was thinking lol. I'm not saying there is a 5th gate in the works, but this is the longest time in WDW history of them not adding a new park. MK to Epcot was 11 years, then 7 more until MGM, then 9 more until AK. It's been 13 years since AK was built. Obviously, it is unrealistic to expect WDW to keep adding a new park every 10 or so years but I thought this was interesting.
Throw in the current economic recession, and that adds yet even more reasons to believe this will be the biggest drought between park addage in WDW history.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom