5th gate anyone.......?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well the thing is, Iger made that a tough sell when he told a bunch of employees to uproot their homes and move to Florida, only to cancel the project they’d be working on. Those people left and are now working for Universal.
Thank god they cancelled that

That area sucks

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Worth a read if you are wondering.

Another media site misinterpreting the agreement. The Reedy Creek Comprehensive plan has had an allowance for a 5th gate since 2010. This is simply what is allowed to be developed under the agreement not necessarily what Disney actually plans to build.

Andrew25

Another media site misinterpreting the agreement. The Reedy Creek Comprehensive plan has had an allowance for a 5th gate since 2010. This is simply what is allowed to be developed under the agreement not necessarily what Disney actually plans to build.
Right, but someone casually scrolling won't recognize that until (if) they read the article lol

NickMaio

Original Poster
Right, but someone casually scrolling won't recognize that until (if) they read the article lol
“In furtherance of its plans to make significant capital investment in the Project during the term of this Agreement, Disney agrees to make at least an initial capital investment of $8 billion dollars within the first ten (10) years of the term of the Agreement, consisting of capital investment in existing infrastructure, new construction and technology investment.”

There is also a promise of a “minimum development” of 5 major theme parks in Orlando.

Ya - - - - that's really open to interpretation.

You "so-called" experts crack me up - - - - it does not matter what news source gets posted here. YOU are never wrong.
Why do I even bother.

For anyone else - give the article a read and do some more googling.
Time will tell - - -
60 billion over 10 years and no 5th park? Ya, that makes perfect sense.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
“In furtherance of its plans to make significant capital investment in the Project during the term of this Agreement, Disney agrees to make at least an initial capital investment of $8 billion dollars within the first ten (10) years of the term of the Agreement, consisting of capital investment in existing infrastructure, new construction and technology investment.”

There is also a promise of a “minimum development” of 5 major theme parks in Orlando.

Ya - - - - that's really open to interpretation.

You "so-called" experts crack me up - - - - it does not matter what news source gets posted here. YOU are never wrong.
Why do I even bother.

Time will tell - - -

We may not be experts, but it doesn't change that fact that this doesn't mean that Disney promises to build a 5 gate, it is only be misinterpreted that way. Disney can easily blow through 60 billion in 10 years without a fifth gate in WDW.

JMcMahonEsq

I have honestly never understood why people would want, or think Disney would want, to build an entirely new 5th gate. Leaving aside costs, what does a 5th gate get you that expanded offerings at the existing 4 parks wouldn't. The only 2 reasons for any business to expand with new offerings would be either to 1) increase customer base or 2) increase spending of your existing customer base.

As far as 2, I can only speak for myself but I only have the ability to take off a certain amount of time per year, and a limited amount of time each time I do take time off. I don't think most people are taking 2 week/3 week vacations. Are people really going to extend their Disney trips even further, with more hotel costs ect., or just go to the new park, and not go to their least favorite one?

As to 1, and i will admit I changed my mind slightly as tying this, I could find reason for building a 5th gate, in a very limited circumstance. In my mind even with some cross, each existing park has something unique about. After MK, Epcot was about the future, AK about animals, HS originally about studios life, old Hollywood, and now I look at it as the main IP focused movie park. Perhaps a 5th gate purpose built around an older/higher intensity demographic? Opens later, higher thrill rides, later night offerings like cocktail parties ect. Its still Disney but maybe you would get more people that feel they age out?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Time will tell - - -

The $60 billion figure you love to throw out is worldwide spending over 10 (or now maybe 20) years. Maybe. If things like the economy doesn't change and projections come to fruition and Disney makes a boatload of money in all aspects of the company's business lines. As it stands, there could be up to $17 billion spent in Florida over 20 years. And $8 billion in 10 years isn't even enough to build another park, between WDI's horrible cost management plus any other plans they may have during that timeframe.

As pointed out, there's been an allowance for a 5th park since the 2010 RCID Comprehensive Plan, and that plan was created in the late 2000's.

Last edited by a moderator:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They hedged their bets and said "laying the groundwork for a 5th gate". The competition from Universal is real and threatening. Unspoken on the expected flat rate of attendance and profit is the diversion of tourist dollars from Disney to Universal.

Deadline isn't some fan site; they have their sources. I don't think we can expect an announcement anytime soon, but it would be awesome if it happened. Expansion at all four parks is well underway, and adding a 5th gate would be the icing on the cake.

"Expansion at all four parks is well underway"? I must have missed all the expansion work a few months back, then. Epcot has no expansion going on. MK has no expansion going on. DHS has no expansion going on. AK has no expansion going on (remember, they already ripped out PW, so they'll have to have 4 rides in the alleged-Tropical Americas land retheme thing vs. the current 3 rides if you want to actually consider that an expansion). Announcements and blue sky ideas are not shovels moving dirt or steel beams being erected.

jloucks

Seriously, if the really wanted to draw more people in. Add more attractions to the expansion pads that already exist or create new pads, fill those damn empty buildings that once housed some really nice attractions, lower the admission fee, get rid of the god awful Genie+ and Lightening Lane, lower the park hopper fee to make it easier for people to leave an overcrowded park and go to one of the others, Stop building new hotels and allow the area just off property to thrive letting more people with budget concerns have the opportunity to visit the parks without having to take out a second mortgage.
All true. ...which is more proof they are not suffering for attendance. At all.

jloucks

The thought was “people will add days”…nope…they just shifted days inside the same 7 day window. That’s how travel works…especially when you need masses to pull profits.

Seems logical too that the International Airport would fill all the extra spots.

So, sure, people might not do two days at MK, but more people would fly in and fill the gaps.

My whole... "you could add 4 new gates, and the parks will still be crowded" theory based on Induced Demand.

None of my arguments disproved the sunk costs demotivator. That is a pretty good excuse to not open new gates. I wonder what the ROI is on a new park?

Conspiracy Theory --> The Orlando infrastructure (airport, transport, labor, etc.) cannot handle a bunch of new gates, so those are where the sunk costs get really prohibitive.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But to twist it into something that is totally unrealistic is so much more “clicky”…isn’t it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom