5th gate anyone.......?

denyuntilcaught

That area has been somewhat available before EPCOT was built. There must be a reason why they haven't used it by now. But if they did, wouldn't that make that area one big theme park where MK would run into it, and it would run into EPCOT which already runs into DHS?
I guess that raises a question I've had - why did they build DHS where they did and not in this plot? I get why DAK wasn't - the acreage can't compared I'd imagine - but DHS?

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I guess that raises a question I've had - why did they build DHS where they did and not in this plot? I get why DAK wasn't - the acreage can't compared I'd imagine - but DHS?

Just spit balling... DHS was built as a half day park... Typhoon Lagoon was also built as a half day park (both parks opened in 1989 within a month of each other). Caribbean Beach had opened the year prior and they opened five addtional hotels in the immediate area in the three years after DHS opened. If I had to guess, they built DHS where it was because they knew they wouldn't have any problems filling the Magic Kingdom Area hotels and wanted to add a bunch of stuff around EPCOT to ensure the hotels in that area were just as desirable as the Magic Kingdom area hotels (and they probably don't have as much room to build as many hotels in the Magic Kingdom area).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just spit balling... DHS was built as a half day park... Typhoon Lagoon was also built as a half day park (both parks opened in 1989 within a month of each other). Caribbean Beach had opened the year prior and they opened five addtional hotels in the immediate area in the three years after DHS opened. If I had to guess, they built DHS where it was because they knew they wouldn't have any problems filling the Magic Kingdom Area hotels and wanted to add a bunch of stuff around EPCOT to ensure the hotels in that area were just as desirable as the Magic Kingdom area hotels (and they probably don't have as much room to build as many hotels in the Magic Kingdom area).
They were attempting to augment the property to keep people there for their whole stay and develop a consistent, loyal fan base

Worked pretty well too

Goofyernmost

Never been a problem for Disneyland/DCA... or USO/IOA... or TDL/TDS... or DLP/DAW...
That's two, however, three can make a big difference in being able to alter the theme so they seem like something different. Otherwise they can keep the same themes as MK and just call it an expansion of that park. That's were most of the people go anyway and that would help spread the crowd out a bit. That wouldn't be a 5th gate though that would just be a useful expansion of an already existing park.

Goofyernmost

Don't have a clue but they most have known back then that it was available. I have to admit though that to me it doesn't seem like Epcot and DHS are that close together, but, they are within walking distance for a lot of people, my feet hurt to much to do unnecessary walking.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I guess the other question is how soon can Orlando handle another theme park? A new theme park takes a MASSIVE amount of employees (especially when you factor in all of the additional hotels, shops, and restaurants that would be built with it). Based on recent discussions, it seemed like Orlando area parks were struggling getting employees (is that still the case)? Epic Universe is going to suck up a huge amount of the available employee base in the area. How many options would Disney have for more employees if they wanted to open a 5th gate?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Awwww no 5th gate??

No. Disney is thinking outside the box. They will forgo the 5th Gate. And go straight to building the 6th.

That way they'll be able to increase revenue by offering a 6-park ticket. Furthermore, they will package the other multi-park tickets in such a way that you will need to purchase one that includes the nonexistent 5th Gate.

It's genius!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
No. Disney is thinking outside the box. They will forgo the 5th Gate. And go straight to building the 6th.

That way they'll be able to increase revenue by offering a 6-park ticket. Furthermore, they will package the other multi-park tickets in such a way that you will need to purchase one that includes the nonexistent 5th Gate.

It's genius!
If we go by Universal rules and count water parks as gates Disney already has a 5th and 6th gate making this fictional park the 7th gate. ;)

Goofyernmost

I'm getting confused. Are we currently up to 8? Four theme parks, two water parks, two miniature golf equaling eight. There are also 4 actual golf courses so that would bring it up to 12. Hoop Dee Doo Review could also be consider a separate, pay to go there, in a completely separate location. So we're at 13. It's more of a stretch but heck we may be looking at speculating a possible #14th gate. I'm starting to lose it. 🤪🤯🤔😵‍💫🥴

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom