50th Anniversary Cinderella Castle Paint Project

Figment1986

Will the casely be getting the gold treatment, or getting painted to fix any fading that has happened since they painted the lower half last....

(I remember seeing the roofs painted and it had a huge difference....)

ToTBellHop

Cinderella Castle is getting gold gilded, but I don't think it will be completely cold, more like 25% gold, like Sleeping Beauty Castle will be.

I don't know if anyone has ever seen it, most likely you have, but on the Travel Channel, I think during the Imagineering episode about WDW you can see a phiber optic Cinderella Castle. I really think they should do that to the castle, it would make it soo much more high-tech and innovative. I know it would mean rebuilding the exterior of the castle or doing a lot of work on it but the model looked sooooooo awesome!!

yellowrocket

Maybe they will go in and strip off the blue paint to get rid of the pink that is underneath. The pink was left over from the Cake Days and everytime I'm there, I end up on the backside of the castle (near the wishing well) to see if the pink is still there where the blue/gray has worn off... sure enough... it's always there.

I really wish they had stripped off the pink instead of just painting over it. I can't look at the castle without thinking "there's a big ol' layer of pink paint underneath that!!"

MagicalMonorail said:
So the castle IS being repainted a different color? Why is only the bottom half being painted?

This article is actually about a month to 2 months old. Maybe I shoudl have posted something. Anywho in one of my issues of Architectural Record they did a small article on the painting of the lower half of the castle. They showed at least 5 schemes. The Schemes themselves are designed to work in tandem with a new lighting system that will help illuminate the castle for the 50th anniversary of Disney parks. Whether or not they do that will be strictly up to disney. But based on the images the article provided, it should look very incredible with the gold trim and everything planned to be added to the castle for the actual celebration next year.

wannab@dis

ArchiDanDisney said:
... in one of my issues of Architectural Record they did a small article on the painting of the lower half of the castle. They showed at least 5 schemes.

Can you post a scan of the article images??

AdLibSean

Blehhhhh :hurl: If something isn't broke why fix it? I know I'm probably the only one, but I'm so stingy about the castle being at its normal form at all times. I don't like when they mess with it. I know this is gonna be a thread drift and I'm sorry, but I have a big problem with this. It's DisneyLAND'S 50th, not every Disney park on the globe. As much as I LOVE WDW, let DL have the spotlight for once. Come up with something so that people WANT to travel to CA to see Disneyland. The parks should be giving DL the gifts, not the other way around. Hope I haven't touched on an already touched subject. There I'm done.

ToTBellHop

While I agree that Disneyland should be getting the spotlight, I'm not surprised that wdw is getting a big celebration, too, nor that this is such an exceedingly-long celebration. They are probably hoping to get two vacations from a lot of people out of this. I know I am going to the Disneyland Resort for the 50th in 2005, and when I go back to WDW in 2006, it will still be during the Golden Celebration, which is nice. And I do give Disney credit for the synergy of this Celebration--it will be the best Celebration I have ever seen, anyway.

KevinPage

This sounds great to me. I liked the idea of the birthday cake for the 25th, but when I saw it in person, it wasn't good. Inflatable pieces and wires holding up parts :hurl:

ToTBellHop

emmanuel_10583 said:
:mad: :fork: :mad: UUURRRRHHHH !!!!!!!! This is soooo annoying, i organize my trip (07/07/04-07/12/04) pay , pay alot to get pictures of the castle with scaffolding. Now instead of having like 10 AMAZING pictures of the castle i'm going to have a couple UGLY ones just because of this STUPID scaffolding. UUUUURRRRHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fork: :mad: :fork:

Eh, life goes on. You should expect refurbishments no matter how much you pay if when traveling to a Disney Resort one year before the largest celebration in Walt Disney Parks and Resorts history...I see you as lucky...you get to take pictures of a half blue, half gold castle. That only comes...four times...every 50 years! (once before and once after the Golden Celebration at both Disneyland and WDW)

MagicKingdomGuy

Without trying to sound like to much of a a$$....

If Disney did the refurb at night (which is logisticlly impossible, between the time it takes to set up the equiptment and paint, etc.) people would be happy, however there would be still a noticable difference between what was just painted and what hasn't, and people would be complaining how the castle looks like a rainbow of different colors.

In retrospect, I think most people should be happy the refurb/painting is getting done, instead of letting it go untreated for years at a time.

However, I do feel sorry for you if it is going on during your vacation...it has happened to me before.

ISTCNavigator57 said:
I see you as lucky...you get to take pictures of a half blue, half gold castle. That only comes...four times...every 50 years! (once before and once after the Golden Celebration at both Disneyland and WDW)

I agree. Your pictures will be totally unique! When we were at WDW in May 2001 they were assembling the Sorceror's Hat in MGM. While some people were probably annoyed by the walls around it and this big blue thing in various stages of development we saw it as a total photo op! Took lots of pictures of it and once we got home those pictures made for some really interesting scrapbook pages. It's something few got to see, and will likely never see again! :)

s25843

emmanuel_10583 said:
:mad: :fork: :mad: UUURRRRHHHH !!!!!!!! This is soooo annoying, i organize my trip (07/07/04-07/12/04) pay , pay alot to get pictures of the castle with scaffolding. Now instead of having like 10 AMAZING pictures of the castle i'm going to have a couple UGLY ones just because of this STUPID scaffolding. UUUUURRRRHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fork: :mad: :fork:

and you really did not "Pay Alot to get Pictures of the Castle", you paid alot to go to Disney and have the expirence of Disney, and also, if you think about it, you and 60,000 other guests every day will have the same inconvience of having to see the scaffolding on the castle...

ToTBellHop

how minimal can scaffolding be to paint the lower 100 feet of the Castle? ;) This is a major project. It'll look really strange this Christmas, with the lower half having some gold and the top half the same way it's been since 1998...but come next May...peeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdy! Gold is a good color :)

DisneyFan 2000

General Grizz said:
This sounds pretty cool.

Spaceship Earth should be painted gold. . . :lookaroun

You should really shut up... First your Florida Adventure idea and now this!!!

LOL, only foolin' with ya Grizz! :p

ToTBellHop

THIS JUST IN! The Mickey Wand is to be dismantled over Spaceship Earth while they paint it gold. For Disney's Golden Celebration, a new attraction will open inside:

Disney's Gold Gilded Golf Ball

lol.

DisneyPan

You know, I didn't even think about being annoyed when I went while they were painting the castle into a b-day cake. I have pics of the castle half blue and pink with a crane next to it. I was just really excited to be there at the Magic Kingdom. When I look at the pics I think, "Wow, that's when I went while they were getting ready for the 25th. Cool!"

StuntDoomBuggy

Don't Get Angry, Folks, Disneyland's Castle Is Going To Be In A Big Gift Box While They Transform It For The 50th! Imagine Seeing A Big Box At The End Of Main Street!

Anyway, Is There Anything Else They Will Do To The Castle? I Mean, Disneyland's Is Getting The Bling Treatment, lol!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom