50 MAGICal Enhancements for the 50th ...

Cesar R M

The rube spends more per day, And thats all that matters with the quarter to quarter mentality running rampant at TDO.

In actuality the AP'er probably spends more overall over 365 days but that does not boost the PRGS or PCGS as much as the rube does
I assume that the Rube will not go into all shows, therefore reducing the "load" because they do not know everything WDW has to offer.
While the AP'er will know all the secrets and try to do as much they can and enjoying all the services, including transportation and out of parks stuff.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I assume that the Rube will not go into all shows, therefore reducing the "load" because they do not know everything WDW has to offer.
While the AP'er will know all the secrets and try to do as much they can and enjoying all the services, including transportation and out of parks stuff.

Thats also probably true

Fox&Hound

Very true. But overall, who brings in more money - The first time rube or the annual passholder? I know in many cases passholders could spend more, over a year, than the family that takes their once-a-year/lifetime vacation, but I'd love to know what the breakdown actually is. Different demographics, different levels of spending.

I wouldn't be surprised if overall attendance drops for 2017-2019 and then dramatically increases in 2020-2022, and then levels off after that. There's definitely buzz with Pandora, and the opening of SWL in 2019/2020 will most certainly draw a ton of people, but after that what becomes the "next draw"? I know Martin and others have made mention of longer-term plans, but I also see the parks devolving in to "Come see the movie IP!!!" more and more, and that has a much shorter shelf life than well-designed, original concepts like, say, IASW, HM, PotC, ToT, Splash Mt, Space Mt... I'd even throw Muppetvision 3D into that mix (but that could be personal bias since I love it). Yes, they can keep things like Star Tours fresh by updating it every 3-5 years, but will they? Their track record doesn't suggest they will. How long of a shelf life does GotG have? The bulk of Marvel characters that do have a long shelf life, Disney cannot use in the swamps.

I just do not understand this mentality that says there should be something new everytime I go to WDW. I went as a child in the 80's, throughout the 90's, but from 2000-2010 it did feel a bit "stale". But we have seen so many great additions in the last seven years or so. I am still enjoying the newness of NFL. I think SWL and Toy Story Land and all of the new additions will be fresh for a long time. I don't think they really need a new attraction if they have new additions that are only a few years old.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I just do not understand this mentality that says there should be something new everytime I go to WDW. I went as a child in the 80's, throughout the 90's, but from 2000-2010 it did feel a bit "stale". But we have seen so many great additions in the last seven years or so. I am still enjoying the newness of NFL. I think SWL and Toy Story Land and all of the new additions will be fresh for a long time. I don't think they really need a new attraction if they have new additions that are only a few years old.

Maybe it's how many times I've been to WDW, but the newness of NFL wore off for me after the first visit. It's really not that great, to be honest. Detailed? Absolutely. What MK needed? Probably not.

Outside of NFL and the recently-opened Pandora, what are these "many great additions in the last seven years or so" you speak of?

wdwfan4ver

Maybe it's how many times I've been to WDW, but the newness of NFL wore off for me after the first visit. It's really not that great, to be honest. Detailed? Absolutely. What MK needed? Probably not.

Outside of NFL and the recently-opened Pandora, what are these "many great additions in the last seven years or so" you speak of?
I'm guessing the poster was thinking of Star Tour: Adventure Continues, Soarin' around the World, Frozen Ever after, and The latest version of Test track.

My own take is Star Tours: The adventure continues isn't an addition, but was a great upgrade considering how outdated the original Star Tours was getting by 2009 D23. I really don't have anything nice to say about Frozen Ever After. The latest version of Test track shouldn't be considered an addition, but an upgrade although I like the older version better. Soarin' around the World for me isn't an addition outside of adding another theater to the attraction.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm guessing the poster was thinking of Star Tour: Adventure Continues, Soarin' around the World, Frozen Ever after, and The latest version of Test track.

My own take is Star Tours: The adventure continues isn't an addition, but was a great upgrade considering how outdated the original Star Tours was getting by 2009 D23. I really don't have anything nice to say about Frozen Ever After. The latest version of Test track shouldn't be considered an addition, but an upgrade although I like the older version better. Soarin' around the World for me isn't an addition outside of adding another theater to the attraction.

Which is my point - Nothing has been added in the past decade outside of NFL and Pandora. And really, that has been the MO of the entire IPger regime until the past few years.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
People would be surprised how many APers aren't local, and come into town and stay at Disney's resorts at least twice a year and those people spend more than the average tourists because they are Disney addicts and spend money like crazy people on everything LE.

As a one time non-Local AP'er who USED to visit 3x per year Till Disney managed to hack us off with a series of unmagical experiences.

No i would not be surprised.

Bocabear

Which is my point - Nothing has been added in the past decade outside of NFL and Pandora. And really, that has been the MO of the entire IPger regime until the past few years.
YES!! and during that time MANY attractions were closed and shuttered... The additions were absolutely necessary, and unfortunately we are not still about the same ride count with the additions after all the closures....

Kman101

I think NFL was needed to some degree. I get what you're saying, sort of. I don't completely agree. People forget that WDW was expanding and growing in the 80s and 90s. Yes I want them continue to expand and grow but it's never going to be like it was.

NFL added a restaurant and a high capacity dark ride. The ride could be better inside and instead of Meet and Grope with Belle, it should have been another ride. They were basically making up for lost capacity with it. So I do think it was needed. (They swapped out one dark ride for another and added a ride that in essence replaced 20K). The fact is they still need more high capacity attractions. Coasters aren't exactly what I think they need. Mine Train also should have been longer, but that's neither here nor there.

And yes, we all know they stagnated for a decade. That decade is gone. They finally did add things with NFL and Pandora, it's just not exactly what some people wanted, just because it isn't what some wanted that doesn't negate they did these things. That they spent money and added things. And that they're continue to spend money for the forseeable future. Yes, they should have done something for those ten years they stagnated but they didn't and they are now. I don't see why it matters anymore TBH.

Monorail_Orange

Yes, they should have done something for those ten years they stagnated but they didn't and they are now. I don't see why it matters anymore TBH.
I would argue it still matters because they have yet to show they've learned anything. For all that's been announced, it only appears to be one (really big) band-aid after another. Hence why we get half-arsed (at best) thematic consistencies with things like TRON and GotG. And replacement where there should have been addition (looking at you, GMR and MaMRR). I'm not convinced we're out of the woods yet. The last 10 years have taught me to be skeptical, I can only hope it's unwarranted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom