50 MAGICal Enhancements for the 50th ...

Kman101

I would argue it still matters because they have yet to show they've learned anything. For all that's been announced, it only appears to be one (really big) band-aid after another. Hence why we get half-arsed (at best) thematic consistencies with things like TRON and GotG. And replacement where there should have been addition (looking at you, GMR and MaMRR). I'm not convinced we're out of the woods yet. The last 10 years have taught me to be skeptical, I can only hope it's unwarranted.

I can understand that. But that's all personal opinion. My personal opinions aside, they're still doing things again.

spacemt354

Chili's
Outside of NFL and the recently-opened Pandora, what are these "many great additions in the last seven years or so" you speak of?
'Additions' is a broad terms that could be used to define Disney Springs, a ton of Disney Villas, MyDisneyExperience, and refurbed attractions such as Soarin', Star Tours, Test Track, Frozen, etc.

That's not to say it's better than the expansions of the 80s or 90s by a long shot, nor that I feel this is a sustainable trend for the parks when they've closed a decent amount of rides as well -- but for some they don't need a new ride every time down. A new place to walk through or dine can be just as nuanced and fun to some guests as a new attraction.

Kman101

'Additions' is a broad terms that could be used to define Disney Springs, a ton of Disney Villas, MyDisneyExperience, and refurbed attractions such as Soarin', Star Tours, Test Track, Frozen, etc.

That's not to say it's better than the expansions of the 80s or 90s by a long shot, nor that I feel this is a sustainable trend for the parks when they've closed a decent amount of rides as well -- but for some they don't need a new ride every time down. A new place to walk through or dine can be just as nuanced and fun to some guests as a new attraction.

People just don't seem to want to give credit because they don't like what the money was spent on. Do I agree or like everything or agree with placements of some things? No. But they've spent money. And yes, to those who argue about the decade of stagnation, they have to play catch up. The past is the past and this is where we are now.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

My point in all this is - Refurbs are not additions, nor are rip-and-replace projects like FEA. I don't think that adding a new D-or-higher attraction in one of the four theme parks every three years is unreasonable, along with keeping other rides and attractions fresh and/or looking good.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
People just don't seem to want to give credit because they don't like what the money was spent on. Do I agree or like everything or agree with placements of some things? No. But they've spent money. And yes, to those who argue about the decade of stagnation, they have to play catch up. The past is the past and this is where we are now.

I do agree. They are playing catch-up from "the lost decade", sadly, but they are spending quite a tidy sum of money right now, certainly not an amount that should be dismissed.

djkidkaz

Agreed. They don't seem to like trees anymore at the MK. The new hub would have greatly benefited by having a couple of actual trees for shade too. Not sticks with some leaves.

The hub I give them slack on because they needed to do everything possible to make as much viewing space for fireworks as possible. Even with the additional space it can still be gridlock there. Throw in some trees and now you are just removing spaces people are willing to stand in. The rest of MK could definitely use more trees and areas of shade. Hopefully this is something corrected with updates to the park for the 50th.

Kman101

My point in all this is - Refurbs are not additions, nor are rip-and-replace projects like FEA. I don't think that adding a new D-or-higher attraction in one of the four theme parks every three years is unreasonable, along with keeping other rides and attractions fresh and/or looking good.

I can agree with this. And the part about adding every three years or so is something they neglected to do, imo, after they finished with Toy Story Mania and that's why we are where we are at now. They coasted and are now, literally, paying for it. And they still can't get it completely right.

spacemt354

Chili's
I'm not disagreeing with that - just trying to put in perspective where the op might have been coming from.

Kman101

The hub I give them slack on because they needed to do everything possible to make as much viewing space for fireworks as possible. Even with the additional space it can still be gridlock there. Throw in some trees and now you are just removing spaces people are willing to stand in. The rest of MK could definitely use more trees and areas of shade. Hopefully this is something corrected with updates to the park for the 50th.

I know :( lol I just think the 'park' area would look visually better with actual trees. But I get why they don't have them. And the lack of seating is horrible. Other parks have benches, sort of. I know they added some to the concrete walls but still ... I don't mind the new hub but it's lacking in trees. Like the concept art for the new theater. Someone added trees to the side and it made it look ten times better.

djkidkaz

The expansion in the 80s and 90s was a different time. The parks in Florida were a way for Eisner to make his mark on the Disney company. Walt built Disneyland and it really ended up falling too Eisner to figure out what to do with WDW, it was his baby, more so than even the movies and such. In the last 25 years the company has grown and has all these different divisions like video games, ESPN, more parks than ever, mobile, etc. In my opinion Iger was building for the future. Iger is not a visionary like a Walt or even an Eisner to some degree. But he knows the safe bet is to buy content like Pixar, Star Wars, ESPN. Brands he thinks will be valuable long after he's gone. I think now he is feeling more comfortable with the parks and the success he has had with Shanghai and is starting to figure out how to use all that content he spent years buying and how to leverage it in things like the parks.

The parks don't appear to be a passion project for Iger like they were with Eisner or Walt but with Universal breathing down WDW's neck, it kind of forced his hand to make some changes.

KrazyKat

I know this is nitpicking but in the original concept art for NFL, it looked like the Mad Tea Party was going to be refurbished to look like Paris's version but of course that never happened. Wish they would do it as an enhancement for the 50th. The current version looks so old and dated.
3350515934_4996107d05_n.jpg

Last edited:

Disone

I can agree with this. And the part about adding every three years or so is something they neglected to do, imo, after they finished with Toy Story Mania and that's why we are where we are at now. They coasted and are now, literally, paying for it. And they still can't get it completely right.
One minor point, we seem to be judging the success of these projects based on our opinions as to whether or not we like the projects. You can't do that! At this point you cannot say they have or have not gotten it right. Take Guardians of the Galaxy at California Adventure as an example of that. So much protest against the closure of Tower of Terror at California Adventure And yet when the attraction finally does open, it's somewhat of a hit. But I'll still stop there we still can't say it's successful. 4 years from now will it still be a hit? If it is then we can say it was successful. The same logic must apply to every single one of the attractions and the entire group of attractions they have just announced for Walt Disney World. Mickey and Minnie's Runaway railroad might be so good we'll all wonder why they didn't do it sooner. It could also end up to be a total Trainwreck, see what I did there, I will make us miss the Great Movie Ride like never before. Cool down everybody. The time for judgment isn't here yet.

Monorail_Orange

I can understand that. But that's all personal opinion. My personal opinions aside, they're still doing things again.
What you say is true. I want to be clear that I don't disagree with what you said in the first post I replied to, other than that the "lost decade" matters as to putting them in the bind they're currently in.

Kman101

One minor point, we seem to be judging the success of these projects based on our opinions as to whether or not we like the projects. You can't do that! At this point you cannot say they have or have not gotten it right. Take Guardians of the Galaxy at California Adventure as an example of that. So much protest against the closure of Tower of Terror at California Adventure And yet when the attraction finally does open, it's somewhat of a hit. But I'll still stop there we still can't say it's successful. 4 years from now will it still be a hit? If it is then we can say it was successful. The same logic must apply to every single one of the attractions and the entire group of attractions they have just announced for Walt Disney World. Mickey and Minnie's Runaway railroad might be so good we'll all wonder why they didn't do it sooner. It could also end up to be a total Trainwreck, see what I did there, I will make us miss the Great Movie Ride like never before. Cool down everybody. The time for judgment isn't here yet.

Did you miss my post saying about the same thing you just did? Lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom