42% off what about owners

toolsnspools

Wow, you do know that villas that get paid cash for get mousekeeping daily, apparently not, $74 a day at the current menu prices is easily able, this has gotten ridicolous now, going back to disboards where posters actually bother to read what is written, and reply with at least informed information.

Do you mean bother to read that the food is at cost, and not at menu price? I could spend $74 a day on french fries at menu price. That doesn't mean it cost them $74 for the fries. My point is that they make money on you even if you can get both discounts, and a room that is making money is better than a room that is empty.

Enjoy the disboards. :wave:

dizzney

im a dvc owner. and love it btw!!!!!! i get the rules and deal with 'em as i know 'em.

the ONE thing that may be a bit upsetting is this: as i've heard from long timers in the program( have no idea how much truth....)

in my restaurant, there's an old couple that comes by in their travels. they claim to be okw owners and that their park passes used to be included in their ownership.

obviously the proof is in the fine print. but if dvc really does reduce their non obligatory benefits, then that sucks. really sucks. THERE SHOULD BE SOME EXTRAS. i believe there are extras for annual pass holders...., and even fla residents.... ect, ect.....

i'm fine with my investment, but at times (like these) the benefits seem to be only towards chasing an extra one $. not the one that is def coming back.

flame away....

As a point the DVC owners that bought when OKW first opened got park passes free for the first few years, they lost it in 99 (????) it was an incentive to buy in when no one knew about DVC. I know when we bought in 99 it was not offered with BWV.

As for the 42% off etc, not only does Disney continue to own a eprcentage of the resorts BUT when we are DVC owners, use RCI, they have availibility in the home resort whose points we use, Also when we bank points they get availibility too.

I have no problem with that as it keep my maintenance down as another poster mentioned.

I do know that my DVC purchases are definitely well worth the cost when factored out compared to WHATEVER discount Disney runs. Our BWV points have already more than paid for themselves and our more recent BLT purchase is on its way, and we have BWV til 2042 and BLT til 2059! Way better than the discounts if you ask me.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Wow, you do know that villas that get paid cash for get mousekeeping daily, apparently not, $74 a day at the current menu prices is easily able, this has gotten ridicolous now, going back to disboards where posters actually bother to read what is written, and reply with at least informed information.

Well, door and and whatnot to you then.....:wave:

slappy magoo

I can't believe there was such a fury being made on the boards and I wasn't a part of it. I grow up so fast, don't I?

Something else to add to the discussion points being bandied about - the discount on rooms at OKW & SSR (which again, really isn't that much different to you or I renting out our points) isn't just a means to fill up those resorts during slow times. It is the DVC equivalent of those annoying "Stay 3 nights in the Poconos for ONLY $99 (plus what is supposed to be a 90 minute tour that will turn into a high-pressure 6-hour sales pitch to get you to buy a time share at our resort and we'll make you feel like a total d-bag if you don't buy)" dealyos. Disney doesn't do the high-pressure, but if someone who's used to staying at values or mods can get a deep discount on what is comparable to a Disney Deluxe resort, they may be more interested in buying. But it's more difficult to do that sort of thing at the other DVC resorts where there is more demand for rooms, and/or there are fewer rooms available for cash rentals. Being at SSR (or close to SSR at OKW) also means you're close to the DVC sales offices and preview centers. Not knowing what Disney's profit margins are, I wouldn't call it a "loss leader" per se, but it is a means to entice potential new buyers.

828tnt, there are extras still - a lot of people find the discount on annual passes to be a major perk - and there are some shopping and dining discounts, some discounts on dinner shows, etc. And there are some discounts & incentives for when you actually buy. I have a former coworker who bought into OKW early on, when it was the only DVC resort, and I believe he said he got a 5 year pass to the parks with his purchase, as opposed to a drop in price on the points, or a free cruise, or free one-time-use points. But yeah, getting a few years of passes would've een a nice perk, but those deals are always going to vary depending on what the market is currently bearing. As of now, DVC sells fine without such great offers, so, there we are.

slappy magoo

To you and andrew 54 reread post 17, there will be never anything in this for me as I go at a time when there will never be any discounts.

And DVC owners who can go during these traditionally discounted periods use fewer points than people who go during peak times. For example, a studio in Old Key West during Premier season is 18 points Sun-Thu, but only 9 points same nights of the week during Value Season.

Why...that's a FIFTY PERCENT REDUCTION IN POINT-PRICE!!! Same deal with Standard view studios at Boardwalk Villas, and that's not even a OKW or SSR room! ZOUNDS! Standard room 1BRs at Boardwalk twixt those time periods in 2011 will be 42 points versus 20 points! That's even more than 50 percent! Holy Guacamole! Call the DVC Discount Police, some1z gettin robbd!

Granted, not every room category gets such a deep discount, but they all get discounted in Value Season compared to Premier Season. Techincally speaking. Just like people who stay in those rooms paying cash in off-seasons will get deeper discount offers than those going during premier seasons.

So, you see, DVC members who go in the off season DO get a reduction in "point price" compared to people, like you, who only go when there aren't discounts.

Feel better, Whiny McWhinesalot?

If Disney continues to offer SSR/OKW at 42% off (plus free dining) for certain times of the year (to UK residents)shouldnt the owners at these resorts be offered 42% off the points required during the same times. :shrug:

FIXED! :wave:

And...no.

disneyrcks

hello....I just joined and this is my first reply! We joined DVC almost two years ago and it was the best investment that we could have made. We frequently visit family in orlando and stay at disney for a few days when we are there. We also love disney so we would do special trips just for us. Always stayed value (and were very happy) but when we heard the DVC presentation we new it was for us....so far we have been able to stay two to three times per year at different places (SSR, BWV,OKW and AKR for our honeymoon in august). It has saved us money and allowed us to have more vacations per year....like the discounts offered for non DVC we also get points discounts which allows us to take more vacations or hopefully bank towards a big vacation. I understand it is not for everyone but it works for some:)

slappy magoo

hello....I just joined and this is my first reply! We joined DVC almost two years ago and it was the best investment that we could have made. We frequently visit family in orlando and stay at disney for a few days when we are there. We also love disney so we would do special trips just for us. Always stayed value (and were very happy) but when we heard the DVC presentation we new it was for us....so far we have been able to stay two to three times per year at different places (SSR, BWV,OKW and AKR for our honeymoon in august). It has saved us money and allowed us to have more vacations per year....like the discounts offered for non DVC we also get points discounts which allows us to take more vacations or hopefully bank towards a big vacation. I understand it is not for everyone but it works for some:)

Welcome to the boards. Enjoy! The DVC subforum isn't visited as much as others so you should introduce yourself elsewhere. This is like going to a holiday party at your boss' house and saying "I'm here!" to the guy who's parking cars. :D

DougK

Welcome to the boards. Enjoy! The DVC subforum isn't visited as much as others so you should introduce yourself elsewhere. This is like going to a holiday party at your boss' house and saying "I'm here!" to the guy who's parking cars. :D

Slappy, you're a funny guy!

sweetpee_1993

Eh, I can think of one guy sending me threatening private emails who'd probably beg to differ - and then threaten to "discuss it with you face to face" for disagreeing with him - but thanks!

Please tell me you're kidding. Threatening nasty messages from an online forum? How juvenile. I suppose not everyone can have a life so they resort to such. But still. Really? Wow. Just wow. Well, hope that doesn't become too much of a nuisance for ya. :cool:

disneyrcks

thank you slappy and I will eventually introduce myself around the boards but as I have observed for sometime most people are very....passionate about what others write, so before I say "hi I am Jessica and new here" I want to make sure I can back it up with proof and evidence lol ;)
I was wondering if anyone can help me out...we are staying at AKL for our honeymoon in August and we booked 9 days using our points...we were gonna take a 4 day cruise prior but now my cousin is having a destination wedding on the same ship in November so we decided to take the full two weeks at Disney......I have been looking for some of the discounts that I have seen people discuss in this thread but I haven't had any luck. We are paying out of pocket for the other 5 days so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I hope everyone had a great 4th of July weekend! :)

lilclerk

I have been looking for some of the discounts that I have seen people discuss in this thread but I haven't had any luck. We are paying out of pocket for the other 5 days so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I hope everyone had a great 4th of July weekend! :)
Welcome to the boards and congrats on your honeymoon!
http://bookwdw.reservations.disney....CMP=WDW_Homepage_FY10Q3ChoiceGenericOfferTile

Those are the general public discounts. If you have an annual pass, there's a couple on the AP site as well, but they're not much better than the regular discounts.

tjkraz

If Disney continues to offer SSR/OKW at 42% off (plus free dining) for certain times of the year. shouldnt the owners at these resorts be offered 42% off the points required during the same times. :shrug:

The answer to this question is simple: No. And the reason is because it would be illegal for Disney to do so.

Disney Vacation Club resorts are TIMESHARES. We all own a small share of TIME at a resort hotel. If you eliminate banking and borrowing, and every member used their points in a given year, the resort would be at 100% occupancy year-round (less an allowance for room maintenance.)

Furthermore if DVC were to discount points by 42% (to use your number), 42% of owners would not be able to reserve the room to which they are entitled.

It's called overselling a timeshare and it is illegal.

the rooms that are empty have had dues paid on them, plus selling the rooms at 42% off AND FREE DINING costs more in every day mousekeeping who is paying for that is it the owners dues or what, and at the current rate of the DDP thats over $300 dollars a day for four people,

Most rooms that are made available to CRO for cash guests are done so because DVC owns the points represented by those villas. As such, DVC pays the dues on the points.

"Free dining" (or any other incentive program) is subsidized by the cash CRO collects for renting that room. Instead of earning $400 per night for a DVC Studio ($300 room rate + $100 for DDP), Disney agrees to accept $300 with the dining plan being "free." Member dues are not impacted when Disney offers a "free dining" incentive to guests.

disneyrcks

Welcome to the boards and congrats on your honeymoon!
http://bookwdw.reservations.disney....CMP=WDW_Homepage_FY10Q3ChoiceGenericOfferTile

Those are the general public discounts. If you have an annual pass, there's a couple on the AP site as well, but they're not much better than the regular discounts.

Hi lilclerk! I just wanted to say thank you...we are AP holders and followed the information you gave us and were able to book the Polynesian for a very reasonable price! We couldn't be more excited it is our first time at Poly! Thank you for the info :)

ps I hope the quote went through ok...i am new and keep messing that part up when I reply lol

Griffin

Why? I've seen calculations that show that the discount on a DVC room can be as deep as 75% off when factored over the life of the membership.

Don't forget, Disney offers these limited availability offers to the public to fill vacant rooms. There is no need to do that with DVC members....

good point....:goodnevil

MKCP 1985

If Disney continues to offer SSR/OKW at 42% off (plus free dining) for certain times of the year. shouldnt the owners at these resorts be offered 42% off the points required during the same times. :shrug:

The (other) owners can rent their interest in those rooms for whatever discount price they want, or can even give them away if they'd like.

:lookaroun

What?

dreamfinder

The (other) owners can rent their interest in those rooms for whatever discount price they want, or can even give them away if they'd like.

Exactly. If a DVC member decided to rent their points to someone for 5 dollars a point, they can. Essentially they would just be covering their expenses (dues) rather than not using the points and still having to pay. Disney is doing the same thing. They are taking the costs of owning those points that make up their share of the resort, which are the dues and the daily housekeeping, and then basically just covering those costs. They may not be making money on the rental, but they aren't losing money on it either. Disney just happens to have a vastly greater number of points than any given member, so they can offer discounts like this to fill those points. You could rent your points for the 10 bucks a point, and then throw in a $200 dining gift card as an incentive to make sure your points get rented and not the other guy. Same thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom