4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I get that.. and I agree with Disney letting people switch right now.

Let’s say people don’t travel outside of Disney hotels, fine. But let’s use an example of The Four Seasons at Disney World. Not Disney owned, but obviously people go there to visit Disney.

Here’s their main page. btw-I’m not arguing, I’m just trying to show that this isn’t going to be the problem that most people appear to think it will be.
View attachment 239477

Nothing about pets, right?

So let’s check the bottom of the page..

View attachment 239478

Nothing about pets jumped out.. we’re planning our vacation.. so let’s keep reading about the amenities..

View attachment 239479

View attachment 239480

Nothing anywhere about pets.
Now, I want to travel with my dog (hypothetically), so I’m going to keep looking.. let me check the FAQs..

View attachment 239481

And there it finally was.. in the FAQs. A description consisting of 3 short sentences.

I have to believe that the great majority of travelers are never even checking for that, and that’s why they don’t notice.

Disney being a “omg something changed!!!” type of place has everyone up in arms. I just hope the ones writing letters and calling to complain about this policy stop for a moment and think first.
Good. We can move on from the everyone stays at dog hotels anyway discussion.

I agree it’s basically hidden in most places. Hotel chains don’t really want the average person to know they accept dogs (see reaction here for reason why) but they know the pet parent type dog owners will know where to go. They are most likely getting the info from a pet travel page anyway. The only reason I think Disney needs to do a better job specifying the exact policy upfront when booking is because people are so obsessive about the place. Disney people are not always rational and the ones that are get forced to act somewhat irrationally when you book ADRs at 6 months and ride reservations 60 days out and so on. Disney is a different animal and people act different towards it.

They also probably need a policy that’s a little more restrictive than most other places. Disney is notorious for having guests abuse things and seek out loopholes. There’s the well documented abuse of GAC or chips in drink cups or fingerprint scanners for multi-day and AP tickets or people parking at resorts or Disney Springs to beat the parking fees or the recent issues with FP+ reservation abuse...I could go on but you get the idea. The online fan community makes this type of abuse worse with sites offering advice on how to beat the system as soon as rules are set. Disney needs to have a more solid, well laid out plan than the Four Seasons or even Loews Universal. This plan has some flaws that are obvious to me. It’s only a pilot so maybe the plan is to adjust as they see reaction.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here’s Caesars Pet Stay program:

PETSTAY POLICIES
PetStay resorts each have the following pet policy:

• Dogs are the only animals allowed under the PetStay program.
  • Dogs staying at any of the participating hotels must weigh 50 pounds or less each and be present at the time of check- in.
  • Up to 2 dogs per room are allowed
  • Dogs are permitted to walk through designated common areas while on a leash and accompanied by the owner.
  • Check in time for PetStay rooms is 4pm. Dog owners must be prepared to accommodate your dogs until your room is ready.
  • Dogs must be in a crate/kennel when left unattended in the room.
  • Dogs must be kenneled or out of the room during housekeeping. (Housekeeping may be scheduled at your convenience, but housekeeping must be allowed to service your guest room at a minimum of every other day.)
  • Kennels are available for rent at many properties. The hotel front desk may be contacted for crate rental fees and availability.
  • To assure the comfort of all of our guests, dogs which are excessively loud will need to be removed and boarded off property at the owner's expense.
  • Credit Card is required for deposit and upon arrival for all Pet Stay rooms.
Hotel room rates for owners traveling with a dog are competitively priced as a per night upgrade for designated pet-friendly hotel accommodations.

BRINGING A FRIEND?
We are happy to offer lodging for up to two dogs per room, so if you're a single dog owner, consider bringing a friend for you and one for your furry pal.

NEARBY AMENITIES
Vegas is a dog-friendly town, and there are a lot of great locations that are just a short walk or drive from your hotel.

DOG PARKS
Within Las Vegas city limits, there are 20 different off-leash dog parks for you to choose from. Some of the closest to the Las Vegas Strip include Charlie Frias Park, which is located on Decatur Boulevard, and the park known as Western Trails, which is just south of McCarran International Airport. Western Trails Park boasts several picnic tables, ample parking and a playground for children. Pet owners are also allowed to walk their pets along the Las Vegas Strip daily between the hours of 5 a.m. and noon.

GROOMERS & BOUTIQUES
One of the most enjoyable aspects of visiting Las Vegas is the opportunity for people-watching. From the expensive clothing worn by high-rollers to the glitz of the showgirls, Vegas is all about glamour, and it can be the same for your dog. There are some fabulous nearby groomers that can give Fido anything from a wash and nail trim to a full pageant makeover complete with painted nails and highlights. You can even schedule grooming service for a time that you want to check out sites in one of the non-dog-friendly areas and return to a clean, happy pup. Add a trip to one of the many dog-friendly food stores and boutiques, and your dog will have the opportunity to deck themselves out in full Las Vegas glamour and eat like a king. A list of nearby groomers and other places of pet-friendly interest will be provided upon check-in.

VETERINARY SERVICES
Las Vegas is home to many qualified veterinarians, and some are located right next to the Strip. Whether you need an emergency service, a groomer or temporary boarding for your dog, there are dozens of local places to choose from. A few of the top-ranked veterinarians within three miles of a Caesars Las Vegas property include the Paradise Pet Hospital and the West Flamingo Pet Hospital, both of which are on Flamingo Road, and the VCA Spring Mountain Animal Hospital on Spring Mountain Road.

To book a room at a PetStay resort in Las Vegas, select the 'PetStay' room type from the listing of available accommodations. Or, dial (800) 427-7247 to reserve today.

So they have a specific room type called PetStay when you book. It looks like this:
EC622462-AA71-468E-B3E1-51FFF093B716.png

If I want to avoid dog rooms at Caesars I just don’t book a room from the PetStay category. It’s that easy. Disney should definitely implement something like this. It doesn’t specify on the page where the PetStay rooms are, but I know from staying there a few times they are all lumped together. If Disney makes these simple changes I think almost everyone would be much more comfortable and both sides are happy. Dog owners would also feel a lot more comfortable knowing they are together with fellow dog people and their neighbor won’t be complaining about Fido being there.

disneygeek90

I get that.. and I agree with Disney letting people switch right now.

Let’s say people don’t travel outside of Disney hotels, fine. But let’s use an example of The Four Seasons at Disney World. Not Disney owned, but obviously people go there to visit Disney.

Here’s their main page. btw-I’m not arguing, I’m just trying to show that this isn’t going to be the problem that most people appear to think it will be.
View attachment 239477

Nothing about pets, right?

So let’s check the bottom of the page..

View attachment 239478

Nothing about pets jumped out.. we’re planning our vacation.. so let’s keep reading about the amenities..

View attachment 239479

View attachment 239480

Nothing anywhere about pets.
Now, I want to travel with my dog (hypothetically), so I’m going to keep looking.. let me check the FAQs..

View attachment 239481

And there it finally was.. in the FAQs. A description consisting of 3 short sentences.

I have to believe that the great majority of travelers are never even checking for that, and that’s why they don’t notice.

Disney being a “omg something changed!!!” type of place has everyone up in arms. I just hope the ones writing letters and calling to complain about this policy stop for a moment and think first.
What you continue to miss, despite all of those screen shots, is that pet friendly hotels do not expect, and in some cases allow, your pet to sit in the hotel room unattended all day. This is still something you seem to be struggling to defend or comprehend.

21stamps

What you continue to miss, despite all of those screen shots, is that pet friendly hotels do not expect, and in some cases allow, your pet to sit in the hotel room unattended all day. This is still something you seem to be struggling to defend or comprehend.

Is there anything written about that in the 3 sentences from the Four Seasons?

Some hotels have the rule, some don’t. Disney isn’t reinventing the wheel. I’m definitely not struggling to comprehend what it’s like to travel with a pet or at hotels that accept pets. There’s times when I check for a pet policy, and times when I don’t. I am struggling to comprehend why people who have never traveled with a pet are suddenly all-knowing about traveling with pets.lol

I’m going to again say that the vast majority of people in this world, who don’t travel with pets, are most likely never searching for pet policies on hotel websites. I don’t think that anyone can disagree with that statement, at least not if they’re being truthful.

SamN'Dean

With respect, this is a curious assertion, coming from the perspective of someone who is clearly obsessed (and aren't all of us on this board, to some degree?) with a company and a resort conceived in human ingenuity, built by human labor, maintained through human industry, and dedicated to generating human happiness and wonder.

Humans are capable of and too often guilty of barbarism and fiendish behavior, yes, but they are also capable of angelic inspiration and saintly good the likes of which no other animal could ever imagine, let alone replicate. I think you owe your own species a bit more honor.

Can hardly eyeroll enough for that stuff you are slinging. Dogs don't lie, cheat, or deceive- those are solely human traits. SOME people are good, but a person is one in a million who can be as loyal and loving as ANY average dog.

Sundown

SamNDean, "loyalty" and "love" are solely human traits as well. The animal really isn't "loving" or being "loyal". But people like to convince themselves by using those terms to describe what they think their animal is doing. But really...it's all personification.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
According to the American Hotel and Lodging Association (AHLA), a 2014 survey showed 60% of hotels allowed pets. Oddly enough, 80% of luxury hotels and 79% of economy hotel chains allow pets.

It's the middle-of-the-road chains that have the least amount being pet-friendly.

Not everyone stays at luxury or economy hotels. It's entirely possible to have never stayed at a pet-friendly hotel. People who mostly stay at luxury or economy hotels could have a perception there are more pet-friendly hotels than really exists.

21stamps

According to the American Hotel and Lodging Association (AHLA), a 2014 survey showed 60% of hotels allowed pets. Oddly enough, 80% of luxury hotels and 79% of economy hotel chains allow pets.

It's the middle-of-the-road chains that have the least amount being pet-friendly.

Not everyone stays at luxury or economy hotels. It's entirely possible to have never stayed at a pet-friendly hotel. People who mostly stay at luxury or economy hotels could have a perception there are more pet-friendly hotels than really exists.

Is 60% the “middle of the road” or overall?

If it’s not “middle of the road”, what is the percentage?

Last edited:

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Is 60% the “middle of the road” or overall?

If it’s not “middle of the road”, what is the percentage?
The 60% is overall.

*EDIT: The AHLA's other classifications include upper upscale, upscale, upper mid scale, and mid scale. That's what I had called "middle of the road". I didn't have that information at the time. It's somewhat hard to access direct information, without being a member.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am struggling to comprehend why people who have never traveled with a pet are suddenly all-knowing about traveling with pets.lol
They aren’t. Most of them don’t care whether a single hotel allows people to travel with pets. They just don’t want it to impact their life or vacation. All other things held constant, the vast majority of people who never travel with pets would probably prefer no hotels to allow dogs but because it’s generally not hurting them and they see the joy it brings the people with pets they live with it and don’t vocally oppose it.

It’s not much different than travel rules for people traveling with kids. If you don’t have kids of your own you don’t really care what people with kids can and can’t do as long as kids don’t get in your way. If a company like Disney begins for example to allow kids in bars/lounges and that impacts those people then they start to care.
Can hardly eyeroll enough for that stuff you are slinging. Dogs don't lie, cheat, or deceive- those are solely human traits. SOME people are good, but a person is one in a million who can be as loyal and loving as ANY average dog.
Agreed. Unfortunately the dogs don’t call the shots...they have human owners. Some of those are the real problem. Dogs are not to blame for any of this.
SamNDean, "loyalty" and "love" are solely human traits as well. The animal really isn't "loving" or being "loyal". But people like to convince themselves by using those terms to describe what they think their animal is doing. But really...it's all personification.
My dogs have all been loyal to me and capable of love...but as I said earlier they were all brilliant too:) You are describing cats;)

SamN'Dean

I would visit that hotel, and I don't even have a dog anymore. I'd just pet other people's as they walk around. :D

I would totally visit that hotel, too! Just imagine- a place where you could pet dozens of dogs and see them playing joyfully- sounds almost as heavenly as a 18+ only pool and lounge area.
(in case anyone at Disney is listening)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The 60% is overall.

*EDIT: The AHLA's other classifications include upper upscale, upscale, upper mid scale, and mid scale. That's what I had called "middle of the road". I didn't have that information at the time. It's somewhat hard to access direct information, without being a member.
If high end and low end are both 80% I would guess the middle of the road is somewhere in the 40% range to get to 60% overall since that class is probably the biggest group. Interesting stats.

MissingDisney

Latest update from PortOrleans.org....

A copy of the waiver document which guests need to sign when they check dogs in to the hotel is available at: http://www.portorleans.org/Disney's-Port-Orleans-Resort-Riverside_Pet-Agreement_13-Oct-2017.pdf

A few interesting new bits of information:

So far, the room assignment department at Port Orleans Riverside has not been given any specific directions from Walt Disney World management to indicate that they must enforce the accommodation of all dogs in building 24 only, so they are still expecting that existing booking for other room categories will be assigned to one of the original four dog-friendly areas (buildings 15, 24, 80 and 95 on the map) although building 24 will definitely be the preferred choice wherever possible. For example, if a guest had booked a Royal River View Room room six months ago, and they now state that they wish to bring a dog with them, they will be assigned a room in building 95 close to the originally marked Dog Relief area on the Dog Friendly Locations map. Similarly, someone who originally booked a Preferred Location room would be placed in building 15.

Any guest who has expressed a wish to be located away from dogs will be assigned a room as far away as possible from those original four designated areas.

As far as common areas go, at the moment dogs will be permitted - under control and on leashes - in all common areas of the resort except for Food & Beverage locations (such as Boatwright's Dining Hall, the food court and presumably the River Roost Lounge) and the fenced pool areas. The lobby and even merchandise shop are fine, as are all the public pathways. This policy is covered by the wording in point 12 of the waiver document.

The maximum seven hour 'alone-time' rule will be mostly left to guests' honesty, but in cases where there is concern the electronic door-lock system can be interrogated remotely to prove how long a room has been left unattended. Similarly, Disney are aware that there may be situations where the required 30-minute return time to attend to a barking dog may potentially be difficult to enforce when guests are away from the hotel.

MuteSuperstar

^Yeesh, what a mess.

But at the very least it does look like they are containing this to certain buildings. I read upthread that they were going to allow them in all rooms, which is totally unacceptable.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Latest update from PortOrleans.org....

A copy of the waiver document which guests need to sign when they check dogs in to the hotel is available at: http://www.portorleans.org/Disney's-Port-Orleans-Resort-Riverside_Pet-Agreement_13-Oct-2017.pdf

A few interesting new bits of information:

So far, the room assignment department at Port Orleans Riverside has not been given any specific directions from Walt Disney World management to indicate that they must enforce the accommodation of all dogs in building 24 only, so they are still expecting that existing booking for other room categories will be assigned to one of the original four dog-friendly areas (buildings 15, 24, 80 and 95 on the map) although building 24 will definitely be the preferred choice wherever possible. For example, if a guest had booked a Royal River View Room room six months ago, and they now state that they wish to bring a dog with them, they will be assigned a room in building 95 close to the originally marked Dog Relief area on the Dog Friendly Locations map. Similarly, someone who originally booked a Preferred Location room would be placed in building 15.

Any guest who has expressed a wish to be located away from dogs will be assigned a room as far away as possible from those original four designated areas.

As far as common areas go, at the moment dogs will be permitted - under control and on leashes - in all common areas of the resort except for Food & Beverage locations (such as Boatwright's Dining Hall, the food court and presumably the River Roost Lounge) and the fenced pool areas. The lobby and even merchandise shop are fine, as are all the public pathways. This policy is covered by the wording in point 12 of the waiver document.

The maximum seven hour 'alone-time' rule will be mostly left to guests' honesty, but in cases where there is concern the electronic door-lock system can be interrogated remotely to prove how long a room has been left unattended. Similarly, Disney are aware that there may be situations where the required 30-minute return time to attend to a barking dog may potentially be difficult to enforce when guests are away from the hotel.
They seem to be working it out some but that’s still a bit of a mess.

I still think the best solution is to make building 24 or whatever buildings are deemed for dogs to be a separate room category which is easily accessed when booking. Then guests with dogs will know exactly what’s going on and whether the rooms are available and those wishing to avoid dogs will know which buildings to avoid. You also avoid anyone complaining about staying in a dog room. If you book that category, you run the risk. I bet they don’t want those rooms going empty if the dog demand isn’t there for specific times.

MissingDisney

Agree...on all points. It would be best for guests as they get exactly what type of room they want, pet friendly or no, and probably easier for housekeeping purposes to streamline procedures for maintenance on those rooms, etc. Heck, it may actually increase customer satisfaction and experience ratings for some. But we all know there’s been times these resorts have been sold out as it is. There is no way they are going to let rooms sit unoccupied just because they’re designated pet friendly rooms and turn away reservations for non-pet booking people. Just don’t see that happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom