4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As far as common areas go, at the moment dogs will be permitted - under control and on leashes - in all common areas of the resort except for Food & Beverage locations (such as Boatwright's Dining Hall, the food court and presumably the River Roost Lounge) and the fenced pool areas. The lobby and even merchandise shop are fine, as are all the public pathways. This policy is covered by the wording in point 12 of the waiver document.
This is interesting. Look at #9 on the original rules posted:
CA48F029-06C1-4B54-B59C-2F7643798BB0.jpeg

I read that to be any only service animals would be allowed in common guest areas. Sounds like they are relaxing that except for pools and food. It’s probably a good thing for dog owners since without it there was virtually nowhere to take your dog. Anyone with a phobia or severe allergy will definitely need to stay away from those resorts.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agree...on all points. It would be best for guests as they get exactly what type of room they want, pet friendly or no, and probably easier for housekeeping purposes to streamline procedures for maintenance on those rooms, etc. Heck, it may actually increase customer satisfaction and experience ratings for some. But we all know there’s been times these resorts have been sold out as it is. There is no way they are going to let rooms sit unoccupied just because they’re designated pet friendly rooms and turn away reservations for non-pet booking people. Just don’t see that happening.
If it was a separate room type you could still book it without a dog I guess if the rest of the Resort was sold out. I agree that for housekeeping alone it would be worth isolating rooms.

MuteSuperstar

Latest update from PortOrleans.org....
The maximum seven hour 'alone-time' rule will be mostly left to guests' honesty, but in cases where there is concern the electronic door-lock system can be interrogated remotely to prove how long a room has been left unattended. Similarly, Disney are aware that there may be situations where the required 30-minute return time to attend to a barking dog may potentially be difficult to enforce when guests are away from the hotel.

Well isn't that wonderful. So someone paying almost 300 a night for a room who just wants to take a peaceful nap can't be guaranteed that they won't have to listen to a barking dog for an hour or more while Disney scrambles to find the owners who could be anywhere on property.

21stamps

View attachment 239521
I read that to be any only service animals would be allowed in common guest areas. Sounds like they are relaxing that except for pools and food. It’s probably a good thing for dog owners since without it there was virtually nowhere to take your dog. Anyone with a phobia or severe allergy will definitely need to stay away from those resorts.

Do you want them to say “You don’t need to leash your pet.”?
My dog is rarely on a leash, he doesn’t need one.. I’m assuming he’s not the only dog who will not run away.. a rule like that tells owner’s like me that ‘you must leash your dog regardless of if you feel they need to be on a leash or not’. It’s a standard rule.

They aren’t. Most of them don’t care whether a single hotel allows people to travel with pets. They just don’t want it to impact their life or vacation. All other things held constant, the vast majority of people who never travel with pets would probably prefer no hotels to allow dogs but because it’s generally not hurting them and they see the joy it brings the people with pets they live with it and don’t vocally oppose it.

It’s not much different than travel rules for people traveling with kids. If you don’t have kids of your own you don’t really care what people with kids can and can’t do as long as kids don’t get in your way. If a company like Disney begins for example to allow kids in bars/lounges and that impacts those people then they start to care.

Agreed. Unfortunately the dogs don’t call the shots...they have human owners. Some of those are the real problem. Dogs are not to blame for any of this.

My dogs have all been loyal to me and capable of love...but as I said earlier they were all brilliant too:) You are describing cats;)

I’ll just agree to disagree on this one. Especially because I enjoy taking my kid to lounges and bars (that serve food), at Disney and anywhere else we go.. hometown and vacays. I don’t smuggle him in 21+ places though. But that’s another thread .. ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here’s another question, are these 2 bullet points an attempt to limit this policy to smaller dogs?

3. I understand and agree that the hotel retains the right to exclude my pet if, in the hotel's sole discretion, my pet is considered dangerous by reason of size, disposition or is likely to frighten or harm other guests of the hotel. I agree that at all times while on hotel property I will ensure my pet complies with all relevant laws and regulations. I agree that if I do not adhere to these policies, I will be required to board my pet at my own expense.

7. I agree that I must have a pet carrier available for each pet in case of an emergency and/or if I need to use transportation services.

I never had a pet carrier for any of my dogs. Do people with bigger dogs have carriers they could bring? This alone could eliminate a large number of dog owners with medium to large sized dogs. I also wonder if they will consider requiring unattended dogs to be kept in the carriers like some other resorts do. It would probably save on wear and tear in the rooms and also on the accident issue. Doesn’t help with barking.

21stamps

Here’s another question, are these 2 bullet points an attempt to limit this policy to smaller dogs?

3. I understand and agree that the hotel retains the right to exclude my pet if, in the hotel's sole discretion, my pet is considered dangerous by reason of size, disposition or is likely to frighten or harm other guests of the hotel. I agree that at all times while on hotel property I will ensure my pet complies with all relevant laws and regulations. I agree that if I do not adhere to these policies, I will be required to board my pet at my own expense.

7. I agree that I must have a pet carrier available for each pet in case of an emergency and/or if I need to use transportation services.

I never had a pet carrier for any of my dogs. Do people with bigger dogs have carriers they could bring? This alone could eliminate a large number of dog owners with medium to large sized dogs. I also wonder if they will consider requiring unattended dogs to be kept in the carriers like some other resorts do. It would probably save on wear and tear in the rooms and also on the accident issue. Doesn’t help with barking.

I think a lot of owners have either a carrier or a crate. The crate can be used for a carrier.

#3 is standard disclosure.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Do you want them to say “You don’t need to leash your pet.”?
My dog is rarely on a leash, he doesn’t need one.. I’m assuming he’s not the only dog who will not run away.. a rule like that tells owner’s like me that ‘you must leash your dog regardless of if you feel they need to be on a leash or not’. It’s a standard rule.
No not the leash part. I was reading the rule as originally written to be no dogs in any public Guest areas (since that’s what it says). This clarifies that dogs are allowed in public guest areas like the lobby, shops and all paths throughout the resort as long as they are on a leash just not restaurants and pool areas. The rule as originally written would be pretty restrictive for dog owners. This seems a little less restrictive. Again, good for dog owners.

21stamps

No not the leash part. I was reading the rule as originally written to be no dogs in any public Guest areas (since that’s what it says). This clarifies that dogs are allowed in public guest areas like the lobby, shops and all paths throughout the resort as long as they are on a leash just not restaurants and . The rule as originally written would be pretty restrictive for dog owners. This seems a little less restrictive. Again, good for dog owners.

Originally dogs were not allowed in the lobby? How would people check in or out or get to their rooms?

I just read the disclosure.. this is what I was talking about a few days ago.. the damage etc. it’s all standard. How do we know that this is “revised” and wasn’t presented to guests on day one?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’ll just agree to disagree on this one. Especially because I enjoy taking my kid to lounges and bars (that serve food), at Disney and anywhere else we go.. hometown and vacays. I don’t smuggle him in 21+ places though. But that’s another thread .. ;)
Nothing to disagree on. All that I’m saying is it’s human nature to not care a whole lot about things that don’t impact you. The same goes for dogs or kids.

MissingDisney

137642B3-6131-483A-A53A-E380A2B771D6.jpeg

I think a lot of owners have either a carrier or a crate. The crate can be used for a carrier.

#3 is standard disclosure.

This is what we travel with for our dog. They come in various sizes. It twists and folds so small I can literally put it in my purse when not in use and pop it open in 2 seconds anywhere to give him some alone time when he’s overwhelmed.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
View attachment 239521

Yup, I definitely made the right call. :)

21stamps

Isn’t the lobby a public Guest area? I didnt make up the rule, just reading what was written.

I went back to page 1 and read the following...
I don’t see anything conflicting in it. The “more info” may be what’s throwing people off. Generally, in examples like I showed with the Four Seasons.. a little bit of info is enough.. anyone with a dog will call for more info to find out exact rules and regulations. That’s extremely normal. As are signed disclosures that aren’t typically displayed on a website.

Dogs staying in a Disney resort Guest rooms must be well behaved, leashed in resort public areas and properly vaccinated.

Guest with dogs will be able to use Magical Express, Minnie Vans and internal buses at Fort Wilderness and Port Orleans, but dogs must travel in a pet carrier. Dogs will not be allowed on monorails or watercraft.

For more information about the new dog-friendly trial program, including other restrictions and policies, guests may contact 407 W-DISNEY. DVC Members should contact Member Services at 800-800-9800.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
View attachment 239527

This is what we travel with for our dog. They come in various sizes. It twists and folds so small I can literally put it in my purse when not in use and pop it open in 2 seconds anywhere to give him some alone time when he’s overwhelmed.
Ok. That makes sense. I was picturing a giant version of one of those cat carriers. I bet my kids would love playing in that too, looks like a tent they have. Maybe I’ll just get another dog...they really want one. I’m still not bringing it to WDW;)

21stamps

Ok. That makes sense. I was picturing a giant version of one of those cat carriers. I bet my kids would love playing in that too, looks like a tent they have. Maybe I’ll just get another dog...they really want one. I’m still not bringing it to WDW;)

No!! Don’t picture those horrible things! My dog has a carrier that isn’t allowed on a plane..a one shoulder satchel, then he has the carrier that I showed in an earlier photo.. it’s extremely soft and travel friendly.. lastly, he also has a carrier that is a rolling carry-on. The only difference between that and a non-pet carry-on is the plushness of the inside and the hook for the collar/vest, you would never be able to tell the difference if you encountered us in an airport. Dog carriers come in many awesome varieties.
View attachment 239527

That’s really neat!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yup, I definitely made the right call. :)
Yep, better to be safe than sorry.

I understand your situation is completely different but for me I wouldn’t mind seeing dogs in the lobby or gift shops. I have the maturity of an average 2nd grader so I actually think it would be hilarious if one took a huge dump right in the middle of the store:) I don’t have to clean it up;)

SamN'Dean

No, it would actually be a draw for people to bring their pets with them. To the average person, there's no draw in bringing your pet on your vacation to stay in your room while you're at Epcot. It actually just adds more stress of having to leave to take them out, feed them, etc. while also hoping they don't come back to a destroyed room.

I don't have a problem taking care of my animal, even while I'm on vacation- that's just being responsible.

I recall the days when there used to be a kennel, right in the front of each and every park. When my first Golden Retreiver was very young, we would stay off site and bring him to the kennel when we visited Epcot or MK. Every 2 or 3 hours, I would go to the entrance- take him for a nice long walk, let him have some sunshine and run around, rub his belly and let some of the joy that he got from seeing me reflect into the joy I got from seeing him. I was happy to stay on Hwy192 if it meant he'd be with me that night.
That "Best Friends" place is a poor substitute for having easy access to my pet from the park. We tried it once, and won't be back.

Getting rid of the kennels- THAT was the Big mistake that Disney made, that they are only now very ineffectively trying to make up for.

MissingDisney

It basically the same concept as those kids pop up tents/tunnels but the screens and sides are definitely more durable and as scratch-proof as possible. When we go to relatives houses or travel in the truck for long periods, I bring a cozy pad that fits perfectly inside. Best part-it was only like $30 and is noise free. No banging bars or latches while traveling or for him to hit against while sleeping. We leave it “popped up” in the basement family room and he actually loves it and goes into it when we have a lot of people over to “get away”.

SamN'Dean

Then I guess Disney had better get rid of all bees. Last time I got stung by a bee, my skinny leg blew up like a football. It was Benadryl 24/7 for days. (I don't remember those days, but I'm aware they existed.) NO BEES at Disney World, because my necessity is not having severe allergic reactions.

:rolleyes:

Since some people apparently can't see beyond their own circumstances, maybe an anecdote will help (although I doubt it, since they've been repeatedly, stubbornly ignored on this thread.)

I don't *need* to bring my dog everywhere. Most of my WDW trips are 2 to 3 nights. We have a local sitter who will come to the house 3 times a day. The dog stays in her own home, and we wonder if that isn't better than being in a kennel.

The sitter is great overall, but not always perfect. She can fall asleep and let the dog stay longer than 8 hours overnight before she goes in the morning. (And yes, I am checking on my home alarm app while we are at the parks.)

Sometimes when we return home, we find out puppy has gotten sick. She's also very happy to see us for the first 10 minutes, and then as standoffish as a cat for the next day.

Some other times, we bring her with us to Orlando. In that case, to date, we couldn't stay on property. We'd stay at a Red Roof or a La Quinta. WE NEVER ONCE left her in the room. Not for 10 minutes. One of us would go for food, or we would order in. We would do no Disney the first night so she could settle in. When we did go to the parks during the day, we took her to Best Friends Pet Care. If we were going to be gone most of the day (we're getting older and that doesn't happen as often) we will go visit her once or twice during the day (see my trip reports.)

While I may feel bad leaving her in the kennel during the day, this is the fact: when we turn onto Bonnet Creek Parkway, she knows where we are and gets all excited. She knows she will see other dogs. She knows we will play with her out back for a good 30 minutes to tire her out before she goes into her indoor/outdoor space (bigger than a cage or crate.) Side note: it's better to tire her out first by playing outside, because she'll be more tired than anxious.

Until the recent hurricane episode, we never left her overnight. We'd pick her up at night, take her back to the room with us, and have a "normal" night's sleep. Sometimes we'd break up her day at BFPC with an ice cream treat; sometimes with a bath. :eek:

She never got sick under those circumstances.

So, while you can see positives and negatives for both situations, my interpretation is that she is less stressed and anxious when her daytimes at boarding are broken up by nighttimes with her family all in the same room.

Now, she may be different from other dogs, she had some separation anxiety when we first adopted her (at 7 months) because the previous family that adopted her thought she was too much trouble and brought her back. Once she got comfortable with us (about 7 years ago) that separation anxiety greatly decreased, but it's in the back of my mind, as in, "I hope she doesn't think we're never coming back for her."

She is also a bit unusual in that she rarely - and I mean rarely - ever barks in day to day life. Notable exceptions: cats, and doorbells. Other than that, there can be other dogs barking in the yard next door, and she does not bark.

So I, as a dog owner, feel perfectly responsible to her, and to other guests, by bringing her to Port Orleans at night and taking her to BFPC during the day. I dare anyone to contradict that with something real.

Nor are you sleeping in those bedsheets the next night. They get changed, remember?

Moreover, they are having sex in those bedsheets. (Sloppily, after Food & Wine Around The World) and their children wipe their snotty noses on those bed sheets (don't tell me it doesn't happen - because it can...see how silly that argument sounds?)

:banghead:

An excellent summation of a great trip. You've inspired me to give Best Friends another shot, although that would be with our next dog, as Dakota is getting too old for jaunts to Orlando.

SamN'Dean

Agreed. Unfortunately the dogs don’t call the shots...they have human owners. Some of those are the real problem. Dogs are not to blame for any of this.

Of course not. I blame Disney. While the Best Friends place is nice enough, the fact is it was created to provide a service that Disney used to provide themselves (kennels), before they decided to have a separate company do it instead, and I feel sure there was a monetary reason there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom