300,000,000 Dollar Rehab for EPCOT

stale32441

Originally posted by jmarc63

they wouldn't not have to do anything to the china canal. there is enough room for two pavilions between Germany and china one was proposed for africa at one time. the outpost would be removed if there were a need to . I'm not shure if it would need to unless it was in the middle of the parcel. also Disney does what they want not considering if it is well served or placed if it is in the way it will go.

look at Horizions/MS as an example

If outpost is moved (or just removed), I see that they have the room for a country, but I do not see how they could fit TWO countries there. There are transitions between countries, a bridge, gates, etc. (as Im sure you know), and I just cant imagine two countries there. Especially keeping eveything away from the Illuminations loading area.

Rehabilitated

I'm sorry but I've never seen a thread with so many postings and so little information. Take a look at an aerial view of Epcot's World Showcase. Each plot of land in between the existing countries (denoted by roads on either side connecting to Perimeter Road) is meant for a country.

Yes, Germany was being considered for a Rhine River attraction however the opinion early in development was that there were too many boat rides already (whatever!). If I can ever find my pre-opening Epcot guide I'll post all the cool things they considered. Remember that the next to open countries according to the pre-opening guide were to be: Equitorial Africa, Spain, Israel, and Norway.

$300MM is a large sum to re-invest in the park. What does it mean? We'll have to see, but personally I think Epcot has already come a long way since it opened in 1982, without announcements of a large re-investment. So perhaps this could be big - at least dare to dream. Counter to this, however, was their announcement of $300MM (or thereabouts) to update the transportation system - what happened to that?

Separate admissions to World Showcase? Hmmm... Three easy ways to handle this are A) evening ticket for a lower cost, with the park open until 9pm is it worth it to come in at 6pm and truck all the way across to Future World to get back by the time they could close the gate at 9:30pm? B) ticket checkpoints at each attraction in Future World ala the London Underground - rather obtrusive, or C) installing a ticket checkpoint between Future World and World Showcase effectively separating them into two parks.

In 1990 when I worked at Disney World I helped conduct a survey in Epcot asking which people would like more between five enhancements, one of which was a Switzerland with Matterhorn (sorry, can't remember the other 4 and can't find my Disney stuff).

hallowboy11

Re: Epcot 300 million is Not Gonna Happen

Originally posted by zarathustra
You're all living in a fantasy world. There's no way, under Eisner and Pressler, that Disney is going to spend that kind of money. Just look at the number of attractions (Beastly Kingdom, Fire Mountain) that have been squashed for being too expensive.

Believe it or not, I think that the money is going to be there soon. No matter what happens to Eisner and Pressler in the next few months, Disney has to do something to get people back to the parks. Now, it actually really depends on Universal. If Vivendi ends up selling to Barry Diller (President of Universal Entertainment), they're going to be spending bukous of $$$ on UO and IOA. If that happens, we should see a HUGE improvement down on World Dr.

stale32441

Originally posted by Rehabilitated
I'm sorry but I've never seen a thread with so many postings and so little information. Take a look at an aerial view of Epcot's World Showcase. Each plot of land in between the existing countries (denoted by roads on either side connecting to Perimeter Road) is meant for a country.>>

Rehabilitated

I dont understand what this means?

What roads? The is no road between Mexico and Norway, or AA and Japan. In fact the only roads that come off of Avenue of the Stars are the gates that Tap pulls off on. Please elaborate..

Poncho1973

I have no idea if money is appropriated or not. That is not what I'm commenting on. I'm specifically talking pavilion spacing.

Let me see if I can clear this up a little...

There is plenty of space for TWO pavilions where the Outpost is. The Outpost is completely removable and the comment about a perfectly good ice cream stand had to have been a joke. Those huts are nothing more than something to fill the gap once you get past the bridge. You could put two regular sized pavilions there (like Italy or France types) or one jumbo and one small (Japan or AA and Morocco types).

The roads comment is deceptive. There aren't roads that divide the countries into plats or anything. When a pavilion is put in they need roads to service it. They did NOT just put roads in to "divide" the land. They are functional. So if there is room for two countries in one spot of land, they didn't put a plat dividing road in there just to show where a country WOULD go.

There is plenty of room between Germany and Italy for another country. If you had a pavilion that sat "deep", you could put a full-sized pavilion between Italy and AA without any crowding. There is plenty of room between Japan and Morocco for another. You could put one large or even two small pavilions between Morocco and France. With some minor relocation you could also put another country between France and UK. This would involve some of the Int'l Gateway backstage area and the garden in UK, but nothing major. There is room for a small pavilion between Mexico and Norway, but not a lot. Something the size of Morocco would be pushing it.

I could NEVER see this happening AT ALL, but I was told (by someone whose opinions are taken with a grain of salt) that the frontage area between the rose walk and the main bridge to the World Showcase had at one time been designated a place for yet another pavilion. I think that is garbage... but I give it to you as information only.

Everything else is an absolute possibility.

:)

jcmayid

Originally posted by WigglyWiggins
Id be interested to find out how disney would work this alternate gate thing if it ever became more than just a rumour. i just dont think disney would like non paying guests to see the fireworks....

Actually, I heard this already elsewhere. There will be a second entrance. Also, they are going to seperate world showcase with FutureWorld. Meaning you'll be able to go to World Showcase and not have to pay a full price admission, and vice versa with FutureWorld. I think it's cool if all you want to do is go have an Italian Dinner at Italy and watch fireworks afterward, after a long day at Animal Kingdom, and not have to pay a hefty price. I think this is going to bring more people into Epcot. Also think this will be great for the opening of Mission Space. BTW, Compaq is now out, and HP took over, since HP bought out Compaq.

GoofyMike29

Original Poster
how will the staff be able to stop people from entering future world if they only paid the admission for world showcase?
Will there be turnstiles setup in order to prevent this from happening?

GoofyMike29

Original Poster
An answer to my own question was posted at screamscape.com...

"... One idea is to try and bring more people into World Showcase in the evening by either offering a discount or even free entry into the WS area of the park and the installation of some kind of gate between WS & FW to keep everyone else out..."

Horizons1

Ya know i think they should bring back the original JII,I know it just had a rehab but i read somewhere on Figments Imagination that to bring it back it would take quite a bit of money and i think they could do it for 300mill.

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by Rehabilitated
Counter to this, however, was their announcement of $300MM (or thereabouts) to update the transportation system - what happened to that?

While Disney probably isnt spending a 300 million on transportation, my guess is they are spending quite a bit. For example new buses cost approximately $250,000 to $300,000 a piece. (Yes, Disney is leasing them for now but at the end of that lease they either have to purchase them or lease new ones). I think there are like nearly 50 of them now.

Add to that the refurbishment of the older buses, Upgrades to bus terminals at each of the parks, and repaving of roadways .

Then take into consideration the cost to repaint each of the monorails and the development of new control consoles for each train and the money spent continues to rise. They have also recently performed a lot of maintenance on the monrail beams themselves both for safety and esthetics

Then there is water transportation. Each of the ferry boats has been undergoing serious refurbishment over the last two years. They have also performed a reasonable amount of refurbishment to some of the other smaller craft as well as performing some serious dock maintenance especially at the Magic Kingdom.

300,000,000 dollars is really not a lot of money when you consider that it is spread between every mode of transportation available at Disney and then consider the rising costs of such things.

leeocean

Originally posted by epcotwsmd4me
As long as they put more of those fiberoptic concrete panels in the paths so I can laugh at kids trying to stomp on them I'm all for it!

Oh, and more of the water areas for the little kids as well. That's just great free entertainment!

But on the other hand, some steam cleaning of some of the carpets in the Land would be nice and cheap too. Maybe they should just replace it with astroturf. Much easier to clean and harder to stain...

Hopefully...

HEY! I am one of those kids! You are right - it is great entertainment.

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by jcmayid

Actually, I heard this already elsewhere. There will be a second entrance. Also, they are going to seperate world showcase with FutureWorld. Meaning you'll be able to go to World Showcase and not have to pay a full price admission, and vice versa with FutureWorld. I think it's cool if all you want to do is go have an Italian Dinner at Italy and watch fireworks afterward, after a long day at Animal Kingdom, and not have to pay a hefty price. I think this is going to bring more people into Epcot.

I'm really not liking the sound of this seperation of Futureworld and World Showcase. And if you were in one park all day and just wanted to dine at Epcot, wouldn't just having a regular park hopper pass accomplish this?

Peace ya'll! :wave:

Cliff

AFGHANISTAN would make a good new country.

w/ a new CircleVision 360 movie.

Ha!....That's absurd....They already have 2 of those in the park.

How 'bout a new mountain with a rollor coaster that runs trough deep tunnels. Have some dirty old Toyota pickups on display out front. Yeah....Female castmembers covered completely from head to toe. Audio animatronics of dead animals in the street. Absolutely no NO music anywhere in the new land. "forced perspective" socker stadium off in the distance. ( i.e Eifel Tower)Simmulated poppy fields......etc.

There would, of course, be an Aladin character greeting area for the kiddies as well.

Wow, Imagineers could really run wild with this new land.

That's what I would do with the 300 mil.

CT : - )

Katherine

Originally posted by 10021982
AFGHANISTAN would make a good new country.

w/ a new CircleVision 360 movie.

Ha!....That's absurd....They already have 2 of those in the park.

How 'bout a new mountain with a rollor coaster that runs trough deep tunnels. Have some dirty old Toyota pickups on display out front. Yeah....Female castmembers covered completely from head to toe. Audio animatronics of dead animals in the street. Absolutely no NO music anywhere in the new land. "forced perspective" socker stadium off in the distance. ( i.e Eifel Tower)Simmulated poppy fields......etc.

There would, of course, be an Aladin character greeting area for the kiddies as well.

Wow, Imagineers could really run wild with this new land.

That's what I would do with the 300 mil.

What??? Are you joking?

gjpjtj

Originally posted by 10021982
...Female castmembers covered completely from head to toe. Audio animatronics of dead animals in the street. Absolutely no NO music anywhere in the new land. "forced perspective" socker stadium off in the distance. ( i.e Eifel Tower)Simmulated poppy fields......etc.

LOL:lol: :lol: :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom