Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

drizgirl

Oh absolutely. Movie theaters began suffering from that and now to same extent cable. Cable has gotten so expensive and with the new streaming options people are cutting the cord. One thing I will say is that the mouse people do exceptionally well is marketing. They've marketed their product to the point where it's almost a right of passage for parents to take their kids to Disney at least once.

I think the next few years we will see Disney running lean and tight. It's going to take a while for anything in the entertainment business to bounce back. I'm a NYer. Broadway is in the toilet, the met opera house is contemplating shutting down and the list goes on jazz concerts, music fares, you name it.

My company has already had 1 furlough, offered a nice buyout package to get a bunch of folks to jump ship AND the CEO has already said 2021 will not be pretty.
"Leaner, meaner magic". They should go with that.

I'm very curious to see how Disney does going forward. They traffic in nostalgia. And I just think there are so many competing childhood franchises that coming generations won't continue to see it as a rite of passage.

Now if Universal gets Nintendo up and going, I could see that as tapping into more of a shared childhood memory.

Basil of Baker Street

I disagree though...my sons (9 and 14) are both major into video games, videos, etc...but the second we step foot off the plane at MCO, they barely even look at their devices except for a few minutes before bed...and that's by their choice.
I believe you guys are the exception and not the rule. I always comment to my wife the number of people walking around Disney with their face in their phones.

kingdead

I think that Disney might attempt to use cell phones to their abstract by switching over to making the parks a kind of Instagram wonderland--instead of having costumed cast members, encourage fans to do their own cosplay and send it to their followers. This allows Disney to promote an inclusive message--"everyone can be a princess!"--while also allowing them to cut down on cast members. They can also sell special accessories, etc. It's a money spinner!

Mr Mindcrime

I think that Disney might attempt to use cell phones to their abstract by switching over to making the parks a kind of Instagram wonderland--instead of having costumed cast members, encourage fans to do their own cosplay and send it to their followers. This allows Disney to promote an inclusive message--"everyone can be a princess!"--while also allowing them to cut down on cast members. They can also sell special accessories, etc. It's a money spinner!
Don't let @realBobChapek hear this.....

Parker in NYC

We’re just trying to get a boarding pass or make a platypus appear in world showcase!
Platypus aside (actually, that's very important), Disney has us on our phones all the dang time now. I'm guilty of walking about trying to put in a mobile order or get a dining reservation. I have to check myself, especially since I NEVER do that in the city. We just leave that to the tourists so we can bump into them. Ah, those were the days. Sigh.

wannabeBelle

Agree Parker, I have said this too. People are walking around staring at a device you have with you all of the time instead of looking around at the great theme park you are in, taking in the sights you dont normally see every day, enjoying your travel groups time together, etc. I get the phone thing, but there is a whole lot of life outside of that too. Marie

seabreezept813

Agree Parker, I have said this too. People are walking around staring at a device you have with you all of the time instead of looking around at the great theme park you are in, taking in the sights you dont normally see every day, enjoying your travel groups time together, etc. I get the phone thing, but there is a whole lot of life outside of that too. Marie
We had a great trip in 2019. But I spent more time on my phone than I wished refreshing to pick up extra fast passes. It saved us time, but I was frustrated. I used to be able to leave my phone in the safe years ago. Now with cameras on phones, digital fast passes, etc. there’s no way to totally shut off.

Brian

Layoff notices are going out to thousands of WDW part timers today including f&b, merchandise and entertainment. 😔
Notices in which they couldn't even be bothered to include the CM's name in the salutation. It just says "Dear Cast Member."

A dear friend of mine is being laid off after 30 years with the company, and that's how they repay her for those decades of service. Apparently these CMs aren't even worth the hassle of a basic mail merge.

JoeCamel

So what general % of domestic Disney park personnel are terminated?........ 30k being let go is approx what percentage of the US Disney population?
The rumor at the beginning was that 15% of the company would be gone. All divisions will cut, parks are labor intensive so they may be cut more than others.

nickys

Premium Member
Notices in which they couldn't even be bothered to include the CM's name in the salutation. It just says "Dear Cast Member."

A dear friend of mine is being laid off after 30 years with the company, and that's how they repay her for those decades of service. Apparently these CMs aren't even worth the hassle of a basic mail merge.
That is appalling. There is simply no excuse for treating them like that.

I’m so sorry for your friend, and everyone else involved in this horrible situation.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Disgraceful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom