Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We could go back and forth insulting political figures that we don't like or didn't vote for, but I don't think that would make for a very pleasant forum. There are plenty of forums to do that.

I'm not sure how politics is related to the thread anyway. You have layoffs at WDW which was going to happen regardless. We have different views based on how to recover the economy which most likely is based on our political ideology, but that has already been discussed at nauseum.

It shouldn’t be about politics at all...but the reality is that the covid response was completely political (guess why) and the economics of the situation is intertwined with travel, employment, long term investment by Disney, etc etc etc

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That may or may not be true but I have to say overall I enjoy the vast majority of your posts.

I would say the same for you...we don’t necessarily Agree...but I appreciate the takes. If I want to agree all the time..I could just talk to the guy in the mirror.

I think what we’re both proving here is that we need a change in course...in about a year that’s gonna be hard not to recognize when the dust settles. No matter what side you’re on...the polarization is damaging and making the country ineffective. I’d say both sides are on that page.

seascape

I would say the same for you...we don’t necessarily Agree...but I appreciate the takes. If I want to agree all the time..I could just talk to the guy in the mirror.

I think what we’re both proving here is that we need a change in course...in about a year that’s gonna be hard not to recognize when the dust settles. No matter what side you’re on...the polarization is damaging and making the country ineffective. I’d say both sides are on that page.
I wish I could agree that the polarization was going to end. However, watching the Senate hearing today, I doubt that will happen. Treasury Secretary Mnuchin told the Senate to extend the loan program if they wanted. But all the Democrats said he could do it on his own and spent the entire hearing attacking him. That was after all the Republicans said the loan authority ends December 31. The solution is simple, pass a new small bill and provide needed stimulus. We can't afford the House bill with all its extras that have nothing to do with the economy. Both sides have to realize what can and can't be agree on and pass it.

wannabeBelle

Do either one of you think that any kind of stimulus bill would help in terms of not cutting jobs at Disney/ or bringing back CM's sooner to WDW? Marie

JoeCamel

I wish I could agree that the polarization was going to end. However, watching the Senate hearing today, I doubt that will happen. Treasury Secretary Mnuchin told the Senate to extend the loan program if they wanted. But all the Democrats said he could do it on his own and spent the entire hearing attacking him. That was after all the Republicans said the loan authority ends December 31. The solution is simple, pass a new small bill and provide needed stimulus. We can't afford the House bill with all its extras that have nothing to do with the economy. Both sides have to realize what can and can't be agree on and pass it.
Even simpler is to hand out the money that was allocated?
Why is there money left?

seascape

Do either one of you think that any kind of stimulus bill would help in terms of not cutting jobs at Disney/ or bringing back CM's sooner to WDW? Marie
Yes, there was a proposal months ago to give a tax break for travel. Personally, I plan on visiting WDW at least 3 times and 4 if my wife can have both shots prior to the last weekend in January, so it would have no effect of me. I have DVC points that will expire at the end of January. But I am sure other people would be encouraged to go and that would help WDW rehire Cast Members.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Not to dive deep. But there are 2 agendas there that haven’t budged. Both are wrong. I’m talking stimulus. They love going to the microphone and blaming each other...but neither the turtle nor the pantsuit will talk about the parts that they have to deliver to their silent money backers.

I’m of the opinion that full employment was never the goal for Disney...their numbers had crept up for a decade - by far the largest boom in wdw history - and the market and board demanded they slash/automate the first chance they got. It was/is 2020

seascape

Not to dive deep. But there are 2 agendas there that haven’t budged. Both are wrong. I’m talking stimulus. They love going to the microphone and blaming each other...but neither the turtle nor the pantsuit will talk about the parts that they have to deliver to their silent money backers.

I’m of the opinion that full employment was never the goal for Disney...their numbers had crept up for a decade - by far the largest boom in wdw history - and the market and board demanded they slash/automate the first chance they got. It was/is 2020
Full employment is and never has been the goal for any company. In fact there is actually a limit on the number of employees available in the Orlando market. Disney and Universal have the desire to grow their customer base. That means more hotels, restaurants, gift shops and rides. But they can't hire that many more people, so they need to be more productive. That is why we have self checkin. remote food ordering and other labor saving things and WDW had still increased their number of Cast Members to over 70,000 before Covid19. Eventually, they will build more resorts and enlarge all 4 of their themeparks and have over 80,000 cast members but it will take 5 years or more to get there.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, there was a proposal months ago to give a tax break for travel. Personally, I plan on visiting WDW at least 3 times and 4 if my wife can have both shots prior to the last weekend in January, so it would have no effect of me. I have DVC points that will expire at the end of January. But I am sure other people would be encouraged to go and that would help WDW rehire Cast Members.
I love the “incentive” stimulus ideas.

Want to travel? Here you go.

Working a lower paid job, here’s a bonus.

Want to invest in certain products or services? Particularly energy efficiency? No problem.

That doesn’t mean I’m against safety net. There’s no way to save that cost for everyone...but I like more proactive ideas.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Full employment is and never has been the goal for any company. In fact there is actually a limit on the number of employees available in the Orlando market. Disney and Universal have the desire to grow their customer base. That means more hotels, restaurants, gift shops and rides. But they can't hire that many more people, so they need to be more productive. That is why we have self checkin. remote food ordering and other labor saving things and WDW had still increased their number of Cast Members to over 70,000 before Covid19. Eventually, they will build more resorts and enlarge all 4 of their themeparks and have over 80,000 cast members but it will take 5 years or more to get there.
It’s gonna take five years for them to lift another finger.

People think there’s salt on these boards now??
Many have no medium term recollection of what it’s like to get NOTHING. That was all the way back when Iger coronation occurred

JoeCamel

It was a loan program, not a grant program. When Mnuchin was asked about why there was money left, see your question was smart, he said small businesses need grants not loans.
When there is no oversight for loans below 2M and they are forgiven it is a grant program. The rest of the money should go to small business that are hurting not back to the treasury making the deficit look smaller.

Miss Bella

It shouldn’t be about politics at all...but the reality is that the covid response was completely political (guess why) and the economics of the situation is intertwined with travel, employment, long term investment by Disney, etc etc etc
That’s your opinion and water under the bridge at this point. Covid will eventually end regardless of who’s in the White House.

Miss Bella

I don’t think Disney is going to get any kind of bailout. Airlines maybe, but I expect to see many bankruptcies in the travel industry.
I read somewhere that 50% of small business that excepted the loans have gone bankrupt anyway.

TrainsOfDisney

Does anyone know how many 3rd party employees lost their job back in March? I know all of the Epcot entertainers like the Japanese drummers were cut, I’m sure boardwalk entertainers as well.

My thought is the 28,000 / 32,000 number is just counting actual CM’s and that the actual number of employees no longer working for Disney is much greater than that. Especially when you include cp’s and the international programs.

wannabeBelle

Does anyone know how many 3rd party employees lost their job back in March? I know all of the Epcot entertainers like the Japanese drummers were cut, I’m sure boardwalk entertainers as well.

My thought is the 28,000 / 32,000 number is just counting actual CM’s and that the actual number of employees no longer working for Disney is much greater than that. Especially when you include cp’s and the international programs.
I know a few at Disney Springs were also let go, but I dont know a total number. I'll ask around but I'm not sure anyone affected knows. I think you are right on the number being much higher. Marie

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Considering CPs and IPs are transient...I’m not sure if they were ever necessarily in or out of that estimate??

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Disneyland plans to furlough nearly 1,800 additional employees in the wake of COVID-19 reopening guidelines from Gov. Gavin Newsom’s administration that have left California theme parks closed for the “foreseeable future.” Disney announced 1,797 furloughs of Disneyland union and non-union employees due to continuing business impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic as part of the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, known as the WARN Act. Disney filed the WARN Act notifications on Nov. 12 with the furloughs set to start on Nov. 23 and on subsequent dates through Feb. 21"

"The furloughs will impact a wide range of jobs including landscapers, engineers, painters, plasterers and custodians as well as employees working in entertainment, restaurants and attractions."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom