News 2021 Theme Index

matt9112

I’m not entirely sure what you mean by “it’s current state.” If you’re referring to SCREENZ, then yes, Studios has too many and needs to change that. But it also has the best land in Orlando, a couple good AA-based dark rides and the most-AA-focused indoor coaster in town, and some fun shows. And some of those screen rides ARE fun. I’d argue it’s a stronger park then MGM.

Take away tower of terror and yea.
I don’t think people realize how low Disney was capping attendance in 2020 and much of 2021.

Technically they still are right? Reservation system exsisting means they are no?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ve come to love DL more then WDW, and a big part of that is the palpable sense one gets at things like the weekend swing dances that this international tourist destination ruled by a corporate behemoth is nonetheless a key part of an actual, vibrant community. So of course that’s something Disney desperately wants to kill.
There’s that too.

I get the impression in Orlando that it’s more the northeastern/midwestern yuppie suburbs in a 15 year rat race just there to “check boxes”

…maybe because that’s actually what it is for about the last 8 years of Bob-dom

danlb_2000

Premium Member
For at least the last couple of decades, Disney has toyed with the idea of building a “boutique” park, one with high admission prices but limited capacity (think Discovery Cove at Sea World) That idea was ultimately shelved, but the idea of charging guests more for a less crowded experience remained and is manifesting itself in Genie+ along with attendance caps. Of course Covid attendance caps were necessary in the beginning, but there are no need for caps to be in place now. Disney, I think, is continuing the caps as a way to justify to their vision of lower attendance coupled with higher per guest cost. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Universal takes over all of the attendance numbers, in the next few years. Disney will let them be the Golden Corral of theme parks, and they will continue to position themselves as a high end steakhouse.

Arguably The Galactic Starcruiser is a "boutique park" in concept.

esskay

WDW losing attendance to Uni is a good thing in my opinion. We're still several years away from Epic Universe, and if they're already starting to climb the rankings perhaps it'll give the current crop of idiots at Disney HQ the kick in the rear they need to sort the place out.

(Hey I can dream!)

Vegas Disney Fan

Disney isn't worried about "dominating" the theme park business. They are concerned only with maximizing the amount of revenue coming in. They do not care what Universal is doing, anymore than they care what Merlin or Cedar Fair or Six Flags are doing.

I think this is the most accurate post in the thread.

Disneys sole focus is money, they could easily grow attendance by expanding the parks or lowering prices but they’ve shown they’re more concerned with maximizing guest spend with their existing capacity rather than expanding capacity.

Casper Gutman

I think this is the most accurate post in the thread.

Disneys sole focus is money, they could easily grow attendance by expanding the parks or lowering prices but they’ve shown they’re more concerned with maximizing guest spend with their existing capacity rather than expanding capacity.
Yes, famously in business history, corporations are completely unconcerned about losing unparalleled dominance in their field. History is littered with market leaders which happily lost their leading position, companies like…. Ummmmm….

MaximumEd

Yes, famously in business history, corporations are completely unconcerned about losing unparalleled dominance in their field. History is littered with market leaders which happily lost their leading position, companies like…. Ummmmm….
Like every major US auto maker, AOL, BlackBerry, MySpace, PanAm, etc.? I doubt they did it happily, and there are always various reasons, but they did it.

Casper Gutman

Like every major US auto maker, AOL, BlackBerry, MySpace, PanAm, etc.? I doubt they did it happily, and there are always various reasons, but they did it.
They did it because they got flabby, complacent, and arrogant. What they absolutely didn’t do is say, “You know, as long as we make money, who cares if we dominate the market?”

el_super

They did it because they got flabby, complacent, and arrogant. What they absolutely didn’t do is say, “You know, as long as we make money, who cares if we dominate the market?”

The market isn't defined by attendance numbers. It's certainly not defined by estimated attendance numbers from a third party.

Disney can pack their parks with cheap admissions if they want to, but at what cost?

Casper Gutman

The market isn't defined by attendance numbers. It's certainly not defined by estimated attendance numbers from a third party.

Disney can pack their parks with cheap admissions if they want to, but at what cost?
The market isn’t solely defined by attendance, no - but it’s a very significant measurement, and it’s tied to a lot of other significant factors like cultural penetration . We are seeing a significant shift in the market at the moment. DL will return to a leading position in the next charts, but if the rest of the rankings remain stable that’s a big - even a seismic shift. As Uni takes a bigger and bigger chunk of WDW tourists, it matters, even if an ossified Disney pretends it doesn’t. It won’t happen next year or even this decade, but this IS how companies that seemed untouchable find themselves losing the dominance they took for granted. If you think Disney would be happy in a world where they make more money in Orlando but Universal pulls as many (or more) guests, you’re nuts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom