News 2021 Theme Index

WDWFanRay

For at least the last couple of decades, Disney has toyed with the idea of building a “boutique” park, one with high admission prices but limited capacity (think Discovery Cove at Sea World) That idea was ultimately shelved, but the idea of charging guests more for a less crowded experience remained and is manifesting itself in Genie+ along with attendance caps. Of course Covid attendance caps were necessary in the beginning, but there are no need for caps to be in place now. Disney, I think, is continuing the caps as a way to justify to their vision of lower attendance coupled with higher per guest cost. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Universal takes over all of the attendance numbers, in the next few years. Disney will let them be the Golden Corral of theme parks, and they will continue to position themselves as a high end steakhouse.

Vegas Disney Fan

Of course Covid attendance caps were necessary in the beginning, but there are no need for caps to be in place now. Disney, I think, is continuing the caps as a way to justify to their vision of lower attendance coupled with higher per guest cost. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Universal takes over all of the attendance numbers, in the next few years. Disney will let them be the Golden Corral of theme parks, and they will continue to position themselves as a high end steakhouse.
The big unknown is if Disney is still capping attendance, based on the pictures I’ve seen it looks just as busy as it was pre-pandemic.

Our last trip was in Nov 2021 and it was definitely capped then but the walkways and lines look nothing like that now.

Andrew25

Still too early to judge, but my visits this year to both resorts will probably show a similar tale to 2021.

Possibly with MK > EP > IOA > DHS > USF > DAK as the rankings.

Epcot has been ridiculously busy this year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I always thought they took a calculated gamble that 1) the labor market demand issues would subside over time, and they didn't want a new baseline for wages that would be much more costly in a normal/recession like labor market, and 2) that COVID uncertainly (and liquidity issues, caused in part by financing Fox acquisition) put the brakes on a lot.
I bet you nailed it right there.

Remember that the CP and IP also amounts to nearly free labor…probably generates profit or close to it

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is all from 2021 and in some ways this report feels like the biggest time capsule TEA has ever released. We're in a very different environment in Fall 2022 than Spring 2021.

I think that's why TEA has maintained the 2019 rankings. It's more than Universal ran their parks mostly unrestricted in 2021 and recovered 90% of their attendance. Disney and other parks less so. Anywhere outside of Florida and China especially.

Not that I find the TEA report uninteresting, I'm just surprised it wasn't published earlier in the year. From what I can quickly gather it used to be published in the Spring pre-pandemic and even the 2020 report occurred in summer 2021.
More than likely…

However the places were pretty much unrestricted from February/March from a health standpoint in 2021. Approaches and nuance varied.

If anything…it is a feather for UOR’s cap as they…not Slaphead…invest in the future in a big way

peter11435

The big unknown is if Disney is still capping attendance, based on the pictures I’ve seen it looks just as busy as it was pre-pandemic.

Our last trip was in Nov 2021 and it was definitely capped then but the walkways and lines look nothing like that now.
They are still capping attendance. That number is still less than pre pandemic max capacity. It feels busier for a variety of reasons

Casper Gutman

I’d really, really love some concrete numbers and proof of Disney’s “capping,” because it absolutely reeks of an excuse Disney is using for a variety of reasons - to explain unfavorable numbers to Wall Street, to make excuses for unpopular systems to guests, etc. I find it very hard to believe that Disney has abandoned every single COVID measure, down to removing hand sanitizer stations, but is keeping the one that would seemingly have the biggest impact on the bottom line. I can easily believe, however, that Disney is micromanaging where guests go without trying to substantially limit their number in order to minimize staffing, because the company and Wall Street hate what they perceive as needless spending much more then they hate hypothetical lost income.

In 2021 I visited both Uni and WDW for more days then I have in many years. Operations between the two seemed very similar, and crowds in both were similarly diminished from their pre-pandemic heights. It’s not like Uni was booming and Disney wasn’t - for instance, the starkest contrast in crowds between 2021 and 2022 in Orlando could be found at HHN.

I’m very tired of the insinuation, pushed both by Disney and some on these boards, that the pandemic was something only Disney experienced. I’d love to see evidence - timelines, numbers, etc - to back up the constant excuses.

Casper Gutman

I do wonder if a lot of the crowding issue is due to Genie+. Theme parks were made for people to be in lines for part of the day. With many in Virtual queues more people are wandering around waiting to join a queue instead of being in one.
This is absolutely a huge part of it. The parks were designed to work in a certain way, with guests in queues. To even make Genie begin to work, you’d need to alter the entire geography of the parks - many more restaurants, interesting stores, live entertainment, casual seating areas - more space in general. The chances that Disney will make such changes are vanishingly small. They are happy running demonstrably broken parks.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

I find that number impressive as well.

They’ve tried to actively scare locals away…and they can’t
I’ve come to love DL more then WDW, and a big part of that is the palpable sense one gets at things like the weekend swing dances that this international tourist destination ruled by a corporate behemoth is nonetheless a key part of an actual, vibrant community. So of course that’s something Disney desperately wants to kill.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom