News 2021 Theme Index

Dan Deesnee

I wonder if all the "Disney doesn't care about Epic Universe" people still think that.

Universal is a huge threat to Disney's future dominance, and Disney knows that. The MK expansion and AK expansions were shown in desperation.

AK expansions will be a letdown and probably not open in time to combat Epic U. MK expansion will be late and also disappoint. Then we get regime change at Disney upper levels. By 2027-2030 we likely have skilled, smart people back in control and get new lands, etc that are extraordinary and worthy of WDW.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
DAK and Epcot had largely been immune from any park pass caps yet were still overtaken by both USO parks. (compared 2019 to 2021)

Also weren't AP's available for most of 2021? So doesn't that factor in worse for Disney?

I guess they're making more money per guest with the current scheme, but is that sustainable? Eventually it has to grind down your available guest pool.
APs we’re 100% available for URO

they were available only 9/8-11/22/21
Or 20.5% of the year.

A reminder to praetorians: there is always a shell game being fed to you.

How do they not sell passes and lag on attendance? Inexcusable. They are catching hell for this. Even if everyone is paying more (true)…they still have 55,000 employees and are leaving money on the table. The bell was just rung on Wall Street for your Emperor’s stock.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

I wonder if all the "Disney doesn't care about Epic Universe" people still think that.

Universal is a huge threat to Disney's future dominance, and Disney knows that. The MK expansion and AK expansions were shown in desperation.

AK expansions will be a letdown and probably not open in time to combat Epic U. MK expansion will be late and also disappoint. Then we get regime change at Disney upper levels. By 2027-2030 we likely have skilled, smart people back in control and get new lands, etc that are extraordinary and worthy of WDW.
I think that's wishful thinking. I don't see them going in that direction where they spend spend spend.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not saying I like it but it would seem Disney is using park reservations/Genie+ to make up for lost revenue due to fewer guests in the parks.
They are making more per guest off heavy prices increases…which is NOT the same thing.

They’re happy at the rise in revenue, profits…but are also being commanded by the big investors to “fix it”

That’s the deal…has been for 30+ years

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I think Orlando is at a “crossroads” these next 2 years. Disney is dumping their strategy toward loyal visitors (mostly)…and Comcast is building a massive development…

But I doubt Disney is worried enough to build and like - yesterday - to combat the threat….
They’ll wait it out and do something when they’re forced to by hard math.

Think those “blue sky” things are a “lever” as a secondary reason? The primary it to sham their loyal audience.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Since they’re unofficial…no one can be locked down on them.

I do know Disney tracked first clicks and then switches to look at two separate data sets years ago.
As to now? Non-committal. My password doesn’t work anymore 😡
Thank you as always … this time i may be more confused than before i asked hahaha j/k. So you were some big shot for the TWDC ;). Sounds like you may have some interesting stories. Would love to hear some of them.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
APs we’re 100% available for URO

they were available only 9/8-11/22/21
Or 20.5% of the year.

A reminder to praetorians: there is always a shell game being fed to you.

How do they not sell passes and lag on attendance. They are catching hell for this. Even if everyone is paying more (true)…they still have 55,000 employees and are leaving money on the table. The bell was just rung on Wall Street for your Emperor’s stock.
You were a little early w the bell ringing lol

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is that true? It's certainly true in 2022 but I thought in 2021 pretty much every park was selling out every day. Am I misremembering that?
The “semi-conspiratorial” theory is that reservations aren’t about staffing at all…it’s to direct crowds amongst the labor for maximum yield.

Nothing was “sold out” last year. Not a single day…likely.

It was for yield on labor when their two primary sources of cheap labor were not really available.

On one hand: “nahh…can’t be”
On the other: I believe it 1000%

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thank you as always … this time i may be more confused than before i asked hahaha j/k. So you were some big shot for the TWDC ;). Sounds like you may have some interesting stories. Would love to hear some of them.
Big shot? Hell no. I was a baby…youngest in the building - I do believe (of very close)…for a short tenure.

But there was access to data. You can’t analyze pricing and sales (my lane) without access to the data

CaptainAmerica

The “semi-conspiratorial” theory is that reservations aren’t about staffing at all…it’s to direct crowds amongst the labor for maximum yield.

Nothing was “sold out” last year. Not a single day…likely.

It was for yield on labor when their two primary sources of cheap labor were not really available.

On one hand: “nahh…can’t be”
On the other: I believe it 1000%
Long-term, maybe.

But not in 2021. The parks weren't "sold out" to their fire capacity or whatever, but I absolutely believe that they were sold out relative to their ability to staff. T&S F&B and hotel rooms are the easiest example. Sure, Disney wants to minimize labor expense, but they're not going to deliberately take the trade-off of losing $60 per head breakfast checks at Garden Grill and Crystal Palace just to minimize workforce costs.

Limiting labor to save operating costs makes sense, but limiting labor to forego revenue in excess of operating costs does not.

mightynine

By 2027-2030 we likely have skilled, smart people back in control and get new lands, etc that are extraordinary and worthy of WDW.
That will only happen if they get leadership that is not currently inside the company, IMO.

There's no one there excited about running a theme park division or really even a creative company. Do you think Chappie really gets excited about telling stories? Or is D'Amaro really concerned about continuing the legacy of the theme parks?

And if this board of directors is involved in selecting the next leader...woof.

And before someone comes in with the "Disney's primary goal is to reward the stockholders" line, there was a time where the company realized keeping its customers happy was extremely important and they still somehow managed to reward the stockholders at the same time.

Funny how that works?

Tha Realest

That will only happen if they get leadership that is not currently inside the company, IMO.

There's no one there excited about running a theme park division or really even a creative company. Do you think Chappie really gets excited about telling stories? Or is D'Amaro really concerned about continuing the legacy of the theme parks?

And if this board of directors is involved in selecting the next leader...woof.

And before someone comes in with the "Disney's primary goal is to reward the stockholders" line, there was a time where the company realized keeping its customers happy was extremely important and they still somehow managed to reward the stockholders at the same time.

Funny how that works?
Yep. Also, TWDC is a:
-retail products company
-cruise line
-theme park operator
-hotel/time share operator
-movie studio
-on again, off again game developer

And, increasingly, to the detriment of those core competencies…

-a tech streamer

That last one is going to either sink the company or, if wildly successful, make the other components less desirable in terms of ROI.

Good luck finding anyone externally who could manage this array of businesses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom