News 2021 Theme Index

Casper Gutman

If I recall, the two resorts closed and reopened very close to one another. What is a good source for the actual history of Covid restrictions - masking, capacity restrictions, etc.? I visited all four Disney parks in 2021 (rare for me) and, while crowds were in fact lower (as they were at Uni), in other ways ops showed little regard for the pandemic, absolutely packing folks into small spaces. To what extent did the caps really effect attendance, and to what extent were they a rhetorical maneuver to make lower attendance appear voluntary - a sort of, “You can’t fire me, I quit”

lazyboy97o

Original Poster
If I recall, the two resorts closed and reopened very close to one another. What is a good source for the actual history of Covid restrictions - masking, capacity restrictions, etc.? I visited all four Disney parks in 2021 (rare for me) and, while crowds were in fact lower (as they were at Uni), in other ways ops showed little regard for the pandemic, absolutely packing folks into small spaces. To what extent did the caps really effect attendance, and to what extent were they a rhetorical maneuver to make lower attendance appear voluntary - a sort of, “You can’t fire me, I quit”
The way some discuss COVID you’d think Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando Resort were operating in completely different jurisdictions.

Tha Realest

I don’t think people realize how low Disney was capping attendance in 2020 and much of 2021.
It’s impossible to know, because it their attendance caps used a completely opaque decision process. To the extent they dropped in comparative attendance, it’s a self-inflicted wound. There were no governmental hurdles to opening fully - they wanted to be cheap by 1) not paying workers more, and 2) not over-scheduling based on reservations.

peter11435

It’s impossible to know, because it their attendance caps used a completely opaque decision process. To the extent they dropped in comparative attendance, it’s a self-inflicted wound. There were no governmental hurdles to opening fully - they wanted to be cheap by 1) not paying workers more, and 2) not over-scheduling based on reservations.
The attendance cap was largely a self inflicted wound. They weren’t forced by outside jurisdictions to cap so low. However being cheap was not the reason. If they could have simply increased staffing levels easily and doubled attendance and therefore revenue they absolutely would have.

JoeCamel

The attendance cap was largely a self inflicted wound. They weren’t forced by outside jurisdictions to cap so low. However being cheap was not the reason. If they could have simply increased staffing levels easily and doubled attendance and therefore revenue they absolutely would have.
True, after tossing the staff they found it hard to rehire in a world of stimulus and covid but there was a way to remedy that and they failed to take it. Maybe unions had a role in their failure to jack wages to a point they could hire enough as TDO can't make that long term cost commitment to wages higher than it's competitors so it has issues with staffing

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I am guessing VelociCoaster had a lot to do with that.
Probably the one-two punch of that and Hagrids. Velocicoaster pulling in the enthusiasts, Hagrids pulling in the families (especially those that delayed due to COVID).

2024/2025 will be interesting. Will growth at Uni in 2024 be soft as people delay trips until Epic Universe opens? And how much will Epic Universe cannibalize attendance at the other two Universal parks (and at the Disney parks for that matter)...

CaptainAmerica

Beyond the usual price increases, Genie+/ILL is probably the main reason why per-guest spending is up.
And room discounts have largely disappeared.

When people talk about prices, they have bad habit of comparing rack rates to rack rates, but rack rages (usually) aren't what guests actually pay.

Not to mention the kneecapping of the AP program (causing favorable guest mix).

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Ive always wondered how these #s are calculated.... if I go to Mk in the morning and say Epcot at night do i count for both attendance numbers?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In other words…

Harry Potter > SW:GE and Pandora
Well they are…

But that is not the takeaway.

1. Universal was less restrictive on pandemic policy as the public support of restrictions turned. They read that right. Credit to them.
2. They were WAY more welcoming as far as hours, pricing, increases, et.
There’s a cumulative affect when you show
You want people. Week travelers aren’t buying an annual pass…but the mere fact they’re available on the website reinforces a welcoming psychology.

You know what company invented that and used to be real good at it?
Bob is an idiot.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ive always wondered how these #s are calculated.... if I go to Mk in the morning and say Epcot at night do i count for both attendance numbers?
Since they’re unofficial…no one can be locked down on them.

I do know Disney tracked first clicks and then switches to look at two separate data sets years ago.
As to now? Non-committal. My password doesn’t work anymore 😡

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
DAK and Epcot had largely been immune from any park pass caps yet were still overtaken by both USO parks. (compared 2019 to 2021)

Also weren't AP's available for most of 2021? So doesn't that factor in worse for Disney?

I guess they're making more money per guest with the current scheme, but is that sustainable? Eventually it has to grind down your available guest pool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom