News 2021 Theme Index

dreday3

Is this based on attendance?
If so, wasn't Disney capping for Covid still for a good chunk of 2021 and Universal was kind of like...come on in?

Not that I don't believe more people would go to IOA over AK, just asking.

Unbanshee

Is this based on attendance?
If so, wasn't Disney capping for Covid still for a good chunk of 2021 and Universal was kind of like...come on in?

Not that I don't believe more people would go to IOA over AK, just asking.

Yes, the attendance report is based on attendance. The bottom line is that any restrictions on attendance (and thus standing in this report) were self-imposed by Disney. If their parks are shown to be faltering or losing ground to Universal, they only have a mirror to point at

dreday3

Yes, the attendance report is based on attendance. The bottom line is that any restrictions on attendance (and thus standing in this report) were self-imposed by Disney. If their parks are shown to be faltering or losing ground to Universal, they only have a mirror to point at

Well sure. If they imposed attendance caps, why would they blame anyone else. I don't even think anyone is blaming anyone? I was just thinking this out logically, not emotionally.

Although I do believe at this point more people would choose IOA almost over every park besides MK.

JoeCamel

tea.jpg

TheMaxRebo

This is all from 2021 and in some ways this report feels like the biggest time capsule TEA has ever released. We're in a very different environment in Fall 2022 than Spring 2021.

I think that's why TEA has maintained the 2019 rankings. It's more than Universal ran their parks mostly unrestricted in 2021 and recovered 90% of their attendance. Disney and other parks less so. Anywhere outside of Florida and China especially.

Not that I find the TEA report uninteresting, I'm just surprised it wasn't published earlier in the year. From what I can quickly gather it used to be published in the Spring pre-pandemic and even the 2020 report occurred in summer 2021.

Universal definitely seemed to get their park operating closer to "normal" much faster than Disney (can argue Disney still isn't there) so I am sure that impacted 2021 numbers, so will be really interesting to see how 2022 looks. I do think Universal has taken some of the market share, but have they truly overtaken the non-MK parks, or just closed gap?

wdwfan4ver

Big question is will it remain that was in next year's ranking, especially with Covid restrictions gone.
Personally I doubt it also. I look at WDW's 50th and the other thing I look at is Guardians of the Galaxy Rollercoaster opened this year playing a roll. Universe didn't open any new attraction in any of their 2 existing theme parks in Florida.
Universal definitely seemed to get their park operating closer to "normal" much faster than Disney (can argue Disney still isn't there) so I am sure that impacted 2021 numbers, so will be really interesting to see how 2022 looks. I do think Universal has taken some of the market share, but have they truly overtaken the non-MK parks, or just closed gap?
I think when WDW's 50 anniversary ends will answer that and people finish up with the 2020 trips that they had to delay. 2023 is going to be the big year.

I expect people to be done with their making up for their 2020 trip when 2023 starts. I am saying that because there were people in the same boat as I was starting the year. Airline in 2020 had sale for airline tickets before covid became know in US and for me, those tickets were going to expire in September of 2022 after the trip was canceled.

MaximumEd

Although I do believe at this point more people would choose IOA almost over every park besides MK.
Not sure I believe that. There’s a ton of families with small kids that would choose any WDW park over anything Uni offers. I’m not one of them, as we enjoy both.

Casper Gutman

I know I'm kidding myself, but a small part of me hopes that Universal might learn something from IoA becoming more popular than the main park to improve. While I've never visited the park itself, but from what I've seen USF I would not be interested in visiting it in it's current state unlike IoA or when it opens EU.
I’m not entirely sure what you mean by “it’s current state.” If you’re referring to SCREENZ, then yes, Studios has too many and needs to change that. But it also has the best land in Orlando, a couple good AA-based dark rides and the most-AA-focused indoor coaster in town, and some fun shows. And some of those screen rides ARE fun. I’d argue it’s a stronger park then MGM.

peter11435

Congratulations to Universal! Major improvements all around. Amazing how they’ve overtaken Disneyland and most of WDW! It won’t be long before they overtake MK at this rate.
That’s not what’s happening here at all. Disneyland was closed for 1/3 of 2021 and all Disney parks were operating with capacity restrictions when open. Comparing Disneys numbers to Universals this time around is comparing apples to submarines.

wdwfan4ver

I know I'm kidding myself, but a small part of me hopes that Universal might learn something from IoA becoming more popular than the main park to improve. While I've never visited the park itself, but from what I've seen USF I would not be interested in visiting it in it's current state unlike IoA or when it opens EU.
The first time ever I went to Universal is this year. I don't think the whole park is an issue.

There are sections of USF that need help, but that can be said about Disney also. I know there is screen overkill at USF, but Escape from Gringotts used them well. Diagon Alley to me is better than Galaxy's Edge, Toy Story Land and even Pandora in theme. Diagon alley also to me is better than Hogsmeade although Hogsmead is a very good land.

USF is getting more help than you think. Also USF is already have one change. Shrek 4D is gone and is being replaced by something else although I don't know what for sure. The replacement is appears to be something minions related.

Also Simpsons theme park rights contract expires in 2028. I think Universal is not going to renewal the rights. I am sure Universal is going to consider stuff for replacing Simpsons once Epic Universe opens. The fact is USF still has a good amount of years left with Simpsons.

Last edited:

eddie104

The first time ever I went to Universal is this year. I don't think the whole park is an issue.

There are sections of USF that need help, but that can be said about Disney also. I know there is screen overkill at USF, but Escape from Gringotts used them well. Diagon Alley to me is better than Galaxy's Edge, Toy Story Land and even Pandora in theme. Diagon alley also to me is better than Hogsmeade although Hogsmead is a very good land.

USF is getting more help than you think. Also USF is already have one change. Shrek 4D is gone and is being replaced by something else although I don't know for sure. The replacement is appears to be something minions related.

Also Simpsons theme park rights contract expires in 2028. I think Universal is not going to renewal the rights. I am sure Universal is going to consider stuff for replacing Simpsons once Epic Universe opens. The fact is USF still has a good amount of years left with Simpsons.
Universal is a lot better at replacing rides than Disney at the moment as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom