2020-Gaming discussion

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

1onH.gif

I love how far the technology has come. I remember when this was considered state of the art and mind-blowing.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
You know what would be awesome during this whole pandemic thing? If Nintendo announced the N64 online thing next month as part of whatever virtual conference theyre apart of.

Mike S

Unreal Engine 5 supports everything Unreal 4 supported, including Switch.
UE5 gets its first public release early in 2021 with franchise juggernaut Fortnite transitioning across from UE4 later on in the same year. Unlike UE4, however, the new iteration of the engine isn't a clean break from the past. It has the same system targets as UE4, meaning it'll run on anything from the most high-end PCs to old Android and iOS devices, encompassing current-gen consoles too - including Switch. Obviously though, you can't expect the same level of fidelity as the fully-fledged next-gen experience revealed today.

Honestly I’m pretty surprised. I thought for sure it wouldn’t. Why do they imply Switch isn’t next gen though? It’s clearly way beyond the 8th gen handhelds and is the successor to the Wii U. It’s very clearly the first 9th gen machine that hit the market even if it was 3 years ago. By the way Nintendo talks it’ll spend plenty of time competing with the PS5 and XBSX too.

Underdog

Unreal Engine 5 supports everything Unreal 4 supported, including Switch.

Honestly I’m pretty surprised. I thought for sure it wouldn’t. Why do they imply Switch isn’t next gen though? It’s clearly way beyond the 8th gen handhelds and is the successor to the Wii U. It’s very clearly the first 9th gen machine that hit the market even if it was 3 years ago. By the way Nintendo talks it’ll spend plenty of time competing with the PS5 and XBSX too.
Generally, since Nintendo has decided to bow out of the horsepower game, they aren't included in the 'generational' talks, since historically each generation have been large increases in hardware performance.

However, I agree with you on generations spanning time and as well as hardware.

Mike S

Generally, since Nintendo has decided to bow out of the horsepower game, they aren't included in the 'generational' talks, since historically each generation have been large increases in hardware performance.

However, I agree with you on generations spanning time and as well as hardware.
Yeah that’s why I brought up it’s big jump over the 3DS and Vita which are both considered to be 8th gen machines. Also there’s only a 1 year difference between the gaps between the 3DS and PS4/XBO launches and the Switch and PS5/XBSX. The first was about a 2 1/2 year difference and the other was about 3 1/2 as both launched much earlier in the year rather than around Christmas like PS and XB. Between the Switch and PS5/XBSX there was obviously nothing else for all that time making it seem more broken up.

Last edited:

The_Jobu

My brother is still getting it too. I just don’t see how they thought some of those decisions were good. I won’t say anything here, even in a spoiler tag, since I don’t know who’s read them or not.

Yah, there were hours of footage, whole game leak is unprecedented. I saw more than enough to say "no thanks".

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Still getting the game. Naughty Dog is batting 1.000. I don't trust overreactions based on a plot read.

Same here. There's no way I'm not getting it. Need to replay TLoU 1. Then Father's Day weekend, I can kick the kids out of my office and hunker down for a weekend binge.

Also, I've been trying to play some games, but man, either I'm checked out or my tastes are much different than before. Started up Assassin's Creed: Origins. Meh so far. Started up DMC 5. That's fun. But pretty straightforward. Not a compelling story. Started up Hitman. That's fun, but nothing to sink my teeth into.

It reminds me how driven I am about story (especially RPGs) and maybe I should just focus on that, which in turn would see me buying/playing a whole lot less.

Tony Perkis

Same here. There's no way I'm not getting it. Need to replay TLoU 1. Then Father's Day weekend, I can kick the kids out of my office and hunker down for a weekend binge.

Also, I've been trying to play some games, but man, either I'm checked out or my tastes are much different than before. Started up Assassin's Creed: Origins. Meh so far. Started up DMC 5. That's fun. But pretty straightforward. Not a compelling story. Started up Hitman. That's fun, but nothing to sink my teeth into.

It reminds me how driven I am about story (especially RPGs) and maybe I should just focus on that, which in turn would see me buying/playing a whole lot less.
I’ve only played “Luigi’s Mansion 3” and “MLB 20: The Show” during this whole ordeal, with some segments of “Resident Evil 4” for the Switch mixed in. I was meaning to finally finish “Red Dead Redemption 2”, but that didn’t happen. I’m still in the modern city there. I kinda want to start “Animal Crossing”, but that seems like too much of a commitment.

Regarding TLOU2, I got the main bits spoiled for me, because people are generally awful, but as much as the work environment likely sucks, Neil Druckmann has never written a bad game. I don’t care about contextless criticisms from people who whine about plot developments without playing the whole thing.

And I don’t value the opinions of people who simply watch a game walkthrough. Those people should shut their mouths about the quality of games.

Mike S

And I don’t value the opinions of people who simply watch a game walkthrough. Those people should shut their mouths about the quality of games.
What if the criticism is over the story? As an example by watching a walkthrough I know Metroid: Other M isn’t for me based on it’s stupid plot and characterization of Samus even though Metroid is my favorite series. You don’t need the context of playing it yourself just for story beats as you don’t play through cutscenes.

Tony Perkis

What if the criticism is over the story? As an example by watching a walkthrough I know Metroid: Other M isn’t for me based on it’s stupid plot and characterization of Samus even though Metroid is my favorite series. You don’t need the context of playing it yourself just for story beats as you don’t play through cutscenes.
Strong disagreement, and this is where walkthrough watchers lose me. There is a disconnect I don’t trust from people who simply watch gameplay.

If the story sucks, it sucks, but at the least I’m going to have an invested interest in seeing how characters got from A to B as opposed to be a third party bystander watching from the sidelines.

Mike S

Strong disagreement, and this is where walkthrough watchers lose me. There is a disconnect I don’t trust from people who simply watch gameplay.

If the story sucks, it sucks, but at the least I’m going to have an invested interest in seeing how characters got from A to B as opposed to be a third party bystander watching from the sidelines.
Well I did watch the full game and even that looked lackluster compared to past entries. Exploration minimal and the whole thing seemed like a lazy pseudo retread of Fusion from its location and areas.

Tony Perkis

SOmeone takes this way too seriously
I actually don’t. I play 5 games a year, at most. I just don’t value the opinions of gameplay watchers, sorry to be mean. It’s the one new things from the YouTube generation that I don’t get.

Thanks for your concern, though.

So your argument is the story may suck but as long as someone who's merely watching tells me it sucks, their opinion is invalid? Ok....then.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Started up Assassin's Creed: Origins. Meh so far.

Agreed. I just finished Odyssey and was pumped Origins played pretty much the same so I booted it up, started getting getting the mechanics down and killed a guy and it launched a long dramatic cutscene I wasn't expecting. After that early cut scene its pretty meh until about 10 hours in, I said to myself ok, lets put this on hold.

Playing the Yakuza Collection for the PS4. Shocked just how good these games are and how they tell this pretty incredible story. The gameplay is pretty much the same in each game but the stories and characters make the series special.

Joesixtoe

Other M I thought was my fav besides super metroid. But I'm horrible with 1st person shooters, so the prime series weren't my thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom