2020-Gaming discussion

Mike S

Other M I thought was my fav besides super metroid. But I'm horrible with 1st person shooters, so the prime series weren't my thing.
inconceivable.jpg

Underdog

Minecraft Dungeons dropped today and while I didnt really care for the OG Minecraft, I may give this one a shot.

Picked this up on the Switch and I'm enjoying it so far. I've seen the 'Diablo light' comparisons in a few reviews. I do think they've keep some things simplified but, there is still enough here to be engaging, if you don't have a problem with the 'grind & loot' cycle in dungeon crawlers have. While I have seen some frame rate hitches, I have not seen the glitches and bugs that others are reporting. I do think the versions on MS and Sony's consoles are prettier, but the Switch is not so bad that I regret my purchase.

I'm getting my $20 out of it and might consider the DLC levels if priced accordingly. Considering that the main game is priced that way IMO, I think the DLC will continue the pattern.

Underdog

I'm really angry with the gaming industry because all of the things that are tied to gaming are people that are thinking only about the money. Actually, I'm a person who knows a lot about the gaming industry and I think that games like Counter-Strike have been improved a lot from this time.

Can you help me understand your frustration? What has or hasn't happened specifically that has upset you? It's a business and the goal is to make money, but there are always companies and practices that seem more exploitative that others.

The_Jobu

So... thoughts on Sony's Presentation?
(I think I'll think a bit more before I provide my personal hot take... :) )

Cant say much till we see the price.

I was thinking that this current gen would be my last console and I'd switch to PC, but the way streaming services have been messing with movies and tv, I cant give up physical. Glad to see the ps5 still has a disc option. I'm guessing the price will be steep so I'm planning to pick up a Switch for the time being and maybe grab the ps5 after its been out a few years.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I'm really angry with the gaming industry because all of the things that are tied to gaming are people that are thinking only about the money. Actually, I'm a person who knows a lot about the gaming industry and I think that games like Counter-Strike have been improved a lot from this time.

If you're trying to say that CounterStrike is a good example of the gaming industry not being all about the money, you picked the wrong game to throw out there....

Anyways, I watched part of the PS5 reveal and Im hyped for Gran Turismo, that Sackboy spinoff and whatever the heck that Twisted Metal/Fortnite thing was supposed to be.

Tony Perkis

Maybe we not kneejerk to leaks going forward?

Underdog

Cant say much till we see the price.

I was thinking that this current gen would be my last console and I'd switch to PC, but the way streaming services have been messing with movies and tv, I cant give up physical. Glad to see the ps5 still has a disc option. I'm guessing the price will be steep so I'm planning to pick up a Switch for the time being and maybe grab the ps5 after its been out a few years.

I was very hesitant and I'm still hesitant to say I am for sure buying one of the next ones. I didn't see anything from Microsoft that said day 1 purchase. Sony's first party offerings have me feeling a bit more inclined to go that way. Especially after I re-watched the GT7 video. Seeing it run at 60 FPS changed my perspective a bit. Ratchet and Clank looked good too. I have no issue with the hardware looks, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for the looming 'all digital' future that is coming. I still like owning my media for some games.

Mike S

Critic reviews or players?

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster

By the time actual players get to review it on metacritic the score will be 5.

Tony Perkis

By the time actual players get to review it on metacritic the score will be 5.
And user ratings are rightly dismissed. They’re overrun with people giving it 1s and 10s based on never playing it or just being dumb.

If a user review is reliant on your own personal politics or worldview, it’s quickly dismissed in my eyes. And unlike professional reviews, they aren’t held to an honest standard.

Some people will have valid criticisms and dislikes, and that’s cool. But user ratings, especially in popular entertainment, are generally useless when generating a consensus.

Mike S

And user ratings are rightly dismissed. They’re overrun with people giving it 1s and 10s based on never playing it or just being dumb.

If a user review is reliant on your own personal politics or worldview, it’s quickly dismissed in my eyes. And unlike professional reviews, they aren’t held to an honest standard.

Some people will have valid criticisms and dislikes, and that’s cool. But user ratings, especially in popular entertainment, are generally useless when generating a consensus.
Lol, as if this problem doesn’t exist at all with today’s “journalists.” They’re totally pure and don’t let their personal politics get in the way at all 😉

Tony Perkis

Lol, as if this problem doesn’t exist at all with today’s “journalists.” They’re totally pure and don’t let their personal politics get in the way at all 😉
They’re still held to a much higher journalistic credibility standard than some yokel who has a Facebook account and can post their own user ratings.

Which is why I immediately invalidated/ignored people complaining when the leaks occurred.

Dismissal of professional reviews and acceptance of user ratings largely leads to nothing more than confirmation bias.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

Are you honestly saying that professional reviews, most of which are PAID to give good scores, are held to honest standards? LOL. Sites like IGN are notorious for giving high scores on account of developers paying them to do just that. Also how many reviewers actually finish the game they're playing? Probably not a lot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom