2019 Box Office tracking

Jedijax719

Aladdin is assuredly going to reach $1 billion WW now. It will end up with around $350-$360 million domestic. That's $20-$30 million more just from North America alone giving it $980-$990 million WW. It's taking small drops each week in the international markets, so it is likely to earn at least $30-$50 million more overseas.

And to think that many thought this would tank in the months or weeks leading up to release.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
All of a sudden, summer camps all around the world receive tens of millions of dollars worth of movie ticket donations to Endgame and Spider-Man...

Darkprime

Far From Home is at $847M. 1 billion is all but guaranteed. So if that leaked contract is true (about FFH needing to make a billion to keep the deal with Marvel) then were getting at least one more Spider-Man from Marvel.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Toy Story is on it's way to the 750m WW mark, Aladdin is on it's way to the billion dollar club, and despite The Lion King gaining a 59% on the first round of critic reviews on Rotten Tomatoes pre-sales are even higher. The theaters I frequently work with are averaging 50% to 75% more tickets OW for Lion King than they had for Toy Story 4. The actual national numbers are likely lower or closer to the 50% side. While the reviews and criticisms seem middling to mediocre ... that's not being reflected in the hype levels. That can turn after OW but you never know.

On the Endgame watch we're just 7m to go with probably a month of domestic theater time and 2 or 3 more international re-releases scheduled. Still a lot, but also still barely within striking distance.

seascape

The final numbers from the weekend are now in and Endgame is only $6,752,672 behind Avatar. I believe now that almost all the experts believe it is only a matter of time before Endgame passes Avatar.

On the worldwide box office Disney has now passed $6.5 billion. Endgame and Captain America have already passed the 1 billion mark. Aladdin is going to pass it as it only 38.5 million away, Toy Story will also pass it and so will Lion King. That will make 5 before then end of the summer. BTW, that equals the highest number of movies that reached the 1 billion make in a year. 2019 will be a record year as Spiderman, a movie produced by Disney's Marvel Division and there are still 2 more Disney movies that should make more than 1 billion. Think about that, 7 Disney made and distributed movies in one year with worldwide grosses over 1 billion and another movie that grosses over 1 billion that they produced for Sony.

Ripken10

The final numbers from the weekend are now in and Endgame is only $6,752,672 behind Avatar. I believe now that almost all the experts believe it is only a matter of time before Endgame passes Avatar.

On the worldwide box office Disney has now passed $6.5 billion. Endgame and Captain America have already passed the 1 billion mark. Aladdin is going to pass it as it only 38.5 million away, Toy Story will also pass it and so will Lion King. That will make 5 before then end of the summer. BTW, that equals the highest number of movies that reached the 1 billion make in a year. 2019 will be a record year as Spiderman, a movie produced by Disney's Marvel Division and there are still 2 more Disney movies that should make more than 1 billion. Think about that, 7 Disney made and distributed movies in one year with worldwide grosses over 1 billion and another movie that grosses over 1 billion that they produced for Sony.
I agree...except it should say Captain Marvel;-)

Darkprime

It would be great if EndGame can pass Avatar before the bluray re-release. Just so they can put "number 1 movie in the world" on the front cover.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It would be great if EndGame can pass Avatar before the bluray re-release. Just so they can put "number 1 movie in the world" on the front cover.
They'll still be able to put that anyways since it surpassed the initial release of Avatar. Plus since they now own Avatar they can put whatever marketing spin on it they want.

So even if it falls short (which we know it won't at this point) they'll still put "Number 1 Movie in the World".

seascape

My wife and I are going to see Lion King tomorrow thanks to D23. Does anyone know if they pay the ticket price ir is AMC not counting it? I also think I will sign up for the Indiana Jones showing at Disney Springs on September 21 as ai will be at WDW for my anniversary vacation.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
My wife and I are going to see Lion King tomorrow thanks to D23. Does anyone know if they pay the ticket price ir is AMC not counting it? I also think I will sign up for the Indiana Jones showing at Disney Springs on September 21 as ai will be at WDW for my anniversary vacation.
Someone does ultimately pay for the tickets (in this case D23), how that money gets counted can vary. Typically any pre-screenings do not count toward opening weekend if it's before the actual first listed screenings but it does count for the overall total. (I've noticed those $$$ being slipped into that first Monday or Thursday most often - no idea if that's standard or studios just want to make sure that money gets into the first week.)

Indy_UK

Do people not think Aladdin will get a colossal drop this week when Lion king is released? $40 million is a lot still to make?

Amazing numbers for Disney but now they've got to try to keep it up each year. Obviously Fox will be part of that of that with probabaly 10 movies in total which they'll aim as much as possible for $1 billion each.

Jedijax719

Aladdin won't take a colossal drop this week. It may take a slightly bigger drop than it has. But it had a great hold when TS4 came out. I suspect that it will do well this coming weekend ($4-$5 million) due to double features with TLK.

Darkprime

I do think the mixed reviews probably hurt the films chance at a $200M opening but when I saw the film yesterday around mid-day the theater was basically full. People seemed to enjoy it too. $150M should not be disappointing for Disney I still think it could go as high as $180M.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
End Game is only 5.7M from beating Avatar. Only 12 days to digital release and several overseas markets still left to report in on the rerelease.

I wonder if Comic-Con might give it a bit of a boost, especially if they have an Avengers reunion panel tomorrow.

jt04

If I'm adding right Disney/Marvel will have about 15000 screens in NA this weekend. We might never see such an event again for decades.

That's a lot of popcorn.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom