2017 NCAA Football Thread

DisneyDoctor

Nick Saban better write good ol' Kirk Ferentz a BIG thank you letter. OSU undoubtedly makes it if they don't get blown out by Iowa. It's good to be a Hawkeye.

Dad 2 M & M

A few notes......

The committee had to know if Ohio State was #4, there would have been a tremendous outcry (more than in this thread for Bama) for showing favoritism towards OSU.......AGAIN x 2. The 1st CFP Baylor and TCU were passed over for OSU; last year's playoff saw non conference champ OSU again get the nod. The committee couldn't do that again and had enough to justify putting Bama in.

For those speaking of expansion, take a look at the current secondary prices for the BIG 6:

bowls 2018.jpg

The only 2 game listed for above face IS the two (Sugar/Rose) CFP games....how would expanding fix this?

And Bama isn't going to be going, they're going to win.....not maybe....and there will be some belligerent peeps if Bama pounds the next 2 games......

If Georgia can beat Okie....the Championship will be in the Mercedes Stadium (that place is REALLY a bust as far as the hype and what it actually is) and will be a border war for the ages. The tickets will approach mid $3k...no matter if it is Clemson or Bama

P.S. Go ahead and grove that fastball down the middle of the plate "but OSU won it in '14, so the committee was right"......at least Clemson returned the favor and is giving Bama the chance to take the trophy away .... OSU ran away and hid...oops they did make it last year as the non-conference champion and almost held Clemson..............

21stamps

Original Poster
A few notes......

The committee had to know if Ohio State was #4, there would have been a tremendous outcry (more than in this thread for Bama) for showing favoritism towards OSU.......AGAIN x 2. The 1st CFP Baylor and TCU were passed over for OSU; last year's playoff saw non conference champ OSU again get the nod. The committee couldn't do that again and had enough to justify putting Bama in.

For those speaking of expansion, take a look at the current secondary prices for the BIG 6:

View attachment 249446

The only 2 game listed for above face IS the two (Sugar/Rose) CFP games....how would expanding fix this?

And Bama isn't going to be going, they're going to win.....not maybe....and there will be some belligerent peeps if Bama pounds the next 2 games......

If Georgia can beat Okie....the Championship will be in the Mercedes Stadium (that place is REALLY a bust as far as the hype and what it actually is) and will be a border war for the ages. The tickets will approach mid $3k...no matter if it is Clemson or Bama

P.S. Go ahead and grove that fastball down the middle of the plate "but OSU won it in '14, so the committee was right"......at least Clemson returned the favor and is giving Bama the chance to take the trophy away .... OSU ran away and hid...oops they did make it last year as the non-conference champion and almost held Clemson..............

Honest question, and as an aside- I don’t think OSU deserved to be there this year..

Do you actually think Bama is deserving?

I don’t. And I don’t think it’s fair or accurate to compare the Alabama team of 2017 to the OSU team of 2014.
OSU leaped TSU because of strength of schedule.

Dad 2 M & M

Honest question, and as an aside- I don’t think OSU deserved to be there this year..

Do you actually think Bama is deserving?

I don’t. And I don’t think it’s fair or accurate to compare the Alabama team of 2017 to the OSU team of 2014.
OSU leaped TSU because of strength of schedule.
I'll answer the question 1st - no, I don't think Bama was deserving.
The 2014 Ohio State example was to illustrate the committee has already leaned in OSUs favor twice, and not the merit of either award allowing OSU into the CFP.
#4 came down to Bama and OSU; there really wasn't a legit third choice....not USC NOT Wisconsin. There is no doubt in my mind Notre Dame would have gotten in had they not lost to Stanford the week prior (they had ND ahead of OSU going into Championship weekend).

Anywho, OSUs loss to Iowa was enough to justify Bama getting in......and circling back to my answer above...Bama deserved to get in MORE than OSU....

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

21stamps

Original Poster
Buckeyes report recruiting violation involving Micah Parsons, College GameDay visit
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...involving-micah-parsons-college-gameday-visit

This is so dumb. But rules are rules.

And the NCAA will threaten Ohio State with the Death Penalty and force the university to surrender all wins for the 2017 season. What a bunch of horse hockey....

It's not like any cash may have changed hands. <<cough cough Cam Newton>>

Exactly.

LAKid53

Premium Member
This is so dumb. But rules are rules.

Exactly.

You'd be surprised to learn that I thought the NCAA slamming OSU for a bunch of players swapping autographed jerseys for tattoos was completely wrong.

Go after the bug stuff - academic fraud, betting on yiur own team, trying to break another player's neck, etc. But not kids cashing in on their OWN signatures....

Dad 2 M & M

And the NCAA will threaten Ohio State with the Death Penalty and force the university to surrender all wins for the 2017 season. What a bunch of horse hockey....

It's not like any cash may have changed hands. <<cough cough Cam Newton>>
OSU could learn from those cough cough peeps....them cough cough peeps' investment paid off in crystal

LAKid53

Premium Member
Former FSU DC Charles Kelly headed to Tennessee. Don't the the screen door hit you on the way out.....

21stamps

Original Poster
I'm alum.....

so yeah, go for it Knights

;)

I’m an Ohio State fan-atic.. and I didn’t think they should be in the playoffs.. if someone is a football fan they should respect the game over emotions.

Even when it’s a tough pill to swallow. lol

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Just found out they're doing a halftime show for the game monday....and they probably should of picked someone better.

Dad 2 M & M

I’m an absolute disagreement with this.

However, I’m also in absolute disagreement with how the committee was set up. The playoffs need to be expanded.

Ignoring the repeated issue with Bowl Game tickets ALREADY selling for well below face value.......

.....There are 12 Conferences, so why not expand to 12, 1 - 4 get 1st round bye?

That would solve a lot of things, especially not letting more than 1 per conference in the Playoff.....never will the committee make that SEC mistake again. Stupid to expect Bama to just Roll over...they REALLY made Clemson look bad...at least Okie looked respectable

Additional problem with the 12 Conference Champions would be FSU would just move to the Sun Belt or American East.

Expanding to 12 and Merits to consider:

Format
Teams Ranked 1 - 4 Get 1st round bye...and consider 1 - 4 would almost certainly be from the Power 5 Conferences

Teams 5 -12 play opening weekend as follows:

Team 5 hosts (on their campus) Team 12
Team 6 hosts (on their campus) Team 11
Team 7 hosts (on their campus) Team 10
Team 8 hosts (on their campus) Team 9

2nd Round - Host site would be 4 of the 6 New Years day 6 Bowl sites

Team Ranked 1 would host lowest remaining seed
Team Ranked 2 would host 2nd lowest....etc

Semi Final sites would be the 2 Remaining New Years 6 Bowls....making ALL conferences relevant and ALL 6 New Years Day 6 Bowls relevant AGAIN

Many issues with this:
- Having to schedule the 1st before round the week of Christmas...if the 1st round is NOT scheduled the before week of Christmas, the Final would/could be as late as MLK week....
- 4 rounds of Playoffs.......I couldn't see teams 9 - 12 fan base traveling for more than a game or two (assuming a low seed advances). Some fans would travel until the end, but the numbers would diminish in the middle rounds as some would chose not to, or couldn't afford

21stamps

Original Poster
Ignoring the repeated issue with Bowl Game tickets ALREADY selling for well below face value.......

.....There are 12 Conferences, so why not expand to 12, 1 - 4 get 1st round bye?

That would solve a lot of things, especially not letting more than 1 per conference in the Playoff.....never will the committee make that SEC mistake again. Stupid to expect Bama to just Roll over...they REALLY made Clemson look bad...at least Okie looked respectable

Additional problem with the 12 Conference Champions would be FSU would just move to the Sun Belt or American East.

Expanding to 12 and Merits to consider:

Format
Teams Ranked 1 - 4 Get 1st round bye...and consider 1 - 4 would almost certainly be from the Power 5 Conferences

Teams 5 -12 play opening weekend as follows:

Team 5 hosts (on their campus) Team 12
Team 6 hosts (on their campus) Team 11
Team 7 hosts (on their campus) Team 10
Team 8 hosts (on their campus) Team 9

2nd Round - Host site would be 4 of the 6 New Years day 6 Bowl sites

Team Ranked 1 would host lowest remaining seed
Team Ranked 2 would host 2nd lowest....etc

Semi Final sites would be the 2 Remaining New Years 6 Bowls....making ALL conferences relevant and ALL 6 New Years Day 6 Bowls relevant AGAIN

Many issues with this:
- Having to schedule the 1st before round the week of Christmas...if the 1st round is NOT scheduled the before week of Christmas, the Final would/could be as late as MLK week....
- 4 rounds of Playoffs.......I couldn't see teams 9 - 12 fan base traveling for more than a game or two (assuming a low seed advances). Some fans would travel until the end, but the numbers would diminish in the middle rounds as some would chose not to, or couldn't afford
To do this you would need to get rid of rivals weekend to make time. That will never happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom