2016 Osborne Lights replacement - what will Disney do?

Luxe

If SoA was replaced by Cars Land I would be incredibly happy. I get that people complain and want "original" lands/attractions at each specific resort but why change something that works? It seems to be successful at DL so putting in a different version at WDW sounds great to me! Personally I can only afford to visit WDW once a year at most. It would cost me a lot more to take a trip to the west coast just to see Cars Land. Adding it to what WDW already offers is great for the average visitor!

I think it's just the rich people who can afford to go to every Disney theme park in the world who complain about duplicating lands :p

RSoxNo1

This is what I have on my rumor tracker:

September 11, 2015: The Disney Parks Blog confirmed that this year's run for the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights will be the final run for the seasonal event. The lights will be on display in the Streets of America from November 6, 2015 through January 3, 2016.

Per the blog, Disney will no longer be able to show the lights as they make way for the new additions coming to Hollywood Studios.

July 24, 2015: Disney has updated their official site with dates for the 2015 Osborne Lights. The Lights will run from November 6th, 2015 through January 3rd, 2016.

June 30, 2015: WDWMagic.com user danlb_2000 has reported that Disney has filed the first permit for the installation of the Osborne Lights for 2015.

March 11, 2015: RunDisney.com has indicated that the 2015 Half Marathon will run through the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights.

October 28, 2014: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 has reported that he does not expect the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights to return in their current form in 2015.

August 10, 2014: On Episode 62 of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish podcast with Jim Hill, he mentioned that the Christmas lights will remain, but it may be rebranded to the Great Christmas Light Fight. They may be taking the Osborne name off the show and have considered a Frozen theme. They could also be looking at other names in focus groups.

June 12, 2014: WDWMagic.com user JimboJones123 has reported that Hollywood Studios Management has been informed that the Osborne Lights will be returning in 2014.

December 23, 2013: On Episode 53 of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish podcast, Jim Hill discussed the future plans for the Osborne Lights. In this he suggested that they could be replaced by competing families participating in the Great Christmas Light Fight. The replacement would still take place in Streets of America.

July 9, 2013: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 reported that the marketing department is preparing for a Christmas campaign in 2014 that will not include the Osborne Lights.

June 15, 2013: User WDW1974 posted on WDWMagic.com that the content of Robert Niles' article is correct and significant changes to the "production side" of Hollywood Studios are imminent. As part of these changes, it is expected that the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights will be ending it's run at Hollywood Studios after the 2014 Holiday Season.

*Q*

September 11, 2015: The Disney Parks Blog confirmed that this year's run for the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights will be the final run for the seasonal event. The lights will be on display in the Streets of America from November 6, 2015 through January 3, 2016.

Per the blog, Disney will no longer be able to show the lights as they make way for the new additions coming to Hollywood Studios.

July 24, 2015: Disney has updated their official site with dates for the 2015 Osborne Lights. The Lights will run from November 6th, 2015 through January 3rd, 2016.

June 30, 2015: WDWMagic.com user danlb_2000 has reported that Disney has filed the first permit for the installation of the Osborne Lights for 2015.

March 11, 2015: RunDisney.com has indicated that the 2015 Half Marathon will run through the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights.

October 28, 2014: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 has reported that he does not expect the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights to return in their current form in 2015.

August 10, 2014: On Episode 62 of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish podcast with Jim Hill, he mentioned that the Christmas lights will remain, but it may be rebranded to the Great Christmas Light Fight. They may be taking the Osborne name off the show and have considered a Frozen theme. They could also be looking at other names in focus groups.

June 12, 2014: WDWMagic.com user JimboJones123 has reported that Hollywood Studios Management has been informed that the Osborne Lights will be returning in 2014.

December 23, 2013: On Episode 53 of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish podcast, Jim Hill discussed the future plans for the Osborne Lights. In this he suggested that they could be replaced by competing families participating in the Great Christmas Light Fight. The replacement would still take place in Streets of America.

July 9, 2013: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 reported that the marketing department is preparing for a Christmas campaign in 2014 that will not include the Osborne Lights.

June 15, 2013: User WDW1974 posted on WDWMagic.com that the content of Robert Niles' article is correct and significant changes to the "production side" of Hollywood Studios are imminent. As part of these changes, it is expected that the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights will be ending it's run at Hollywood Studios after the 2014 Holiday Season.

Wow, nicely kept! If you keep such great track of all of the rumors and buzz like that, you should totally put together a website with everything.

OliveMcFly

I saw it mentioned that they could move to Sunset. I kind of like the idea. You could have classic Christmas music such as Bing Crosby playing. I wonder how they could decorate Tower.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I am excited about all the announced projects. However, I loved LoW and the Osborne spectacle. I hope that a decade from now WDW will be more than a pale shadow of its former self with regards to Christmas decorations.

surfsupdon

The year the Lights were on hiatus to create LMA from Residential Street....MGM Studios put their character meet and greets in special Christmas costumes. They assumed that was an acceptable alternative to not having the Lights.

Nope. It wasn't. Huge void that Christmas Season at Disney!

HauntedMansionFLA

Any rumors of what type of Christmas offerings DHS might be offering for 2016?

disney4life2008

MansionButler84 said:
The only move the lights will make is into a dumpster like SpectroMagic.

Lol its so true. I actually think the lights are gaudy. And considering mid america follow similar themes on their own homes im over it. I would rather have attractions in that area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom