2015: The year of the EPCOT makeover?

It's OK if you disagree, I'm just stating why I prefer the current TT. I actually liked the old version, but I knew it wasn't very theme appropriate and it looked outdated towards the end of its life. I thought the track was fine, that's why I'm glad they kept it the same. I think the only room that was better before are the heat/cool/corrosive chamber rooms. The first ABS brake test, you could see the track ahead of you, so you could tell it was going to skid off the course. Now they outlined a straight track in yellow and you can't see that it's actually going to skid off.
can you atleast agree there is nothing really happening on the ride you just drive around neon lights? I dont understand your argument at all, according to you since the previous iteration wasn't themed correctly and you can see part of the 2nd abs test you think the whole ride should be torn out and replaced with neon glow in the dark light bars, and no narration or explanation as to why you are accelerating and braking quickly. there is no cohesiveness you are just riding around a dark track quickly then launched out into a circle at 65mph the ride has no story now.

At least before you had a story as a test dummy and you were testing a vehicle instead of being a means to an end to sell Chevrolet cars.

Little Green Men

No the previous iteration didn't belong in Future World is what I'm saying. The current storyline is creating a concept car and going into a simulated computer environment to test the design. The current version tells you from the beginning the four tests you will be undergoing and there is narration at parts. The first test is capability. The car goes by a screen with a rain storm to show that they're testing how the car will handle on a slippery road, which it skids off of. Then it tests to see how fast the car can swerve to avoid a lightning bolt. The future city to the left is a nod to World of Motion.

Efficiency is the weakest test, the scanning of the car and the hyper-spectrum imaging don't really add anything. The aerodynamic test is better but its still just a mirror. The third and fourth tests are basically the same as before, only now instead of cardboard cutouts, we pass neon signs for a more high tech look, instead of a cheap look. The responsiveness test explains the 18 wheeler near collision as accident avoidance technology, before it was just a truck showing up in the test facility. The finale is less industrial looking, instead of an effect that hadn't worked in years of a car crashing a barrier before the test cars did as well, they have the test icons light up as you pass to show what you've done, and what you're final test is. Then you go through the arches and outside the computer into the real world for the power test.

After the ride they say that you can do more with your designs in the post-show, they didn't really reference the post-show before. I think a post-show of just GM cars is more commercial than having three areas before even seeing the cars. The final score area, the commercial design area, and the racing game area before the show room. Before it was just an assembly plant where you could see the cars in the distance.

I understand you don't like the new version, and that's fine, but it does still have a storyline and it does work better in Future World.

No the previous iteration didn't belong in Future World is what I'm saying. The current storyline is creating a concept car and going into a simulated computer environment to test the design. The current version tells you from the beginning the four tests you will be undergoing and there is narration at parts. The first test is capability. The car goes by a screen with a rain storm to show that they're testing how the car will handle on a slippery road, which it skids off of. Then it tests to see how fast the car can swerve to avoid a lightning bolt. The future city to the left is a nod to World of Motion.

Efficiency is the weakest test, the scanning of the car and the hyper-spectrum imaging don't really add anything. The aerodynamic test is better but its still just a mirror. The third and fourth tests are basically the same as before, only now instead of cardboard cutouts, we pass neon signs for a more high tech look, instead of a cheap look. The responsiveness test explains the 18 wheeler near collision as accident avoidance technology, before it was just a truck showing up in the test facility. The finale is less industrial looking, instead of an effect that hadn't worked in years of a car crashing a barrier before the test cars did as well, they have the test icons light up as you pass to show what you've done, and what you're final test is. Then you go through the arches and outside the computer into the real world for the power test.

After the ride they say that you can do more with your designs in the post-show, they didn't really reference the post-show before. I think a post-show of just GM cars is more commercial than having three areas before even seeing the cars. The final score area, the commercial design area, and the racing game area before the show room. Before it was just an assembly plant where you could see the cars in the distance.

I understand you don't like the new version, and that's fine, but it does still have a storyline and it does work better in Future World.

I live in south florida I goto Disney more than 10 times a year, I have rode test track 2.0 probably 5-8 times this year alone. I have NEVER, I mean NEVER heard any of that. I dont know if its because the speakers on my ride vehicle arent working or if during the pre que design the exposition isnt delivered well enough, but I have NEVER heard any of what you just explained. OK after watching this video

I now see you are referring to the 2 short sentences they say in a generic voice before each test. That is very missable if you arent paying attention or have loud people in your car or your car speakers are quiet. And I have to say that is the most I have seen extrapolated from 2 sentences of ride dialog for each test lol Kudos to you for having such a great imagination. Should hire you to be a imagineer. How did the crash barrier effect never work? It wasnt that bad of an effect and how is it any different to what they do now. you charge at a wall and it opens at the last second.

Last edited:
Some of it is narrated, other parts just implied.
I guess I am dim then because most of it goes over my head lol. That is why I enjoyed the previous version because even as a child I could understand the point of the ride. I bet if you asked the average guest about their experience they wouldn't touch on the same details you put into it.

gljvd

Disney should call up Microsoft and get a few hololens prototypes to put out.

I think letting guests play around with these at inovations would be a huge draw, set up some mock kitchens and living rooms and let people play with them.

Microsoft owns Minecraft now so just skin minecraft with Disney themes and boom instant success

erwinalber4

Not trying to be rude but I also live in Florida, former cast member, and current passholder and I'm at the parks just about every week. Everything @GrandCanyonConcourse said is true in regards to Test Track's story. I get that you don't like the new overlay and that's fine but it does have a story and fits far better in Future World. Yeah of course you can ask the average guest about their experience on the ride and they may have no clue as to what it was about but honestly you can say the same for just about every other ride in the parks and get the same response if the average guest is not paying attention and too busy taking selfies and updating Facebook and all of that on the ride. Oh and taking flash pictures too. And also for the reasons you stated if there's poor audio and loud guests that can affect it too.

Not trying to be rude but I also live in Florida, former cast member, and current passholder and I'm at the parks just about every week. Everything @GrandCanyonConcourse said is true in regards to Test Track's story. I get that you don't like the new overlay and that's fine but it does have a story and fits far better in Future World. Yeah of course you can ask the average guest about their experience on the ride and they may have no clue as to what it was about but honestly you can say the same for just about every other ride in the parks and get the same response if the average guest is not paying attention and too busy taking selfies and updating Facebook and all of that on the ride. Oh and taking flash pictures too. And also for the reasons you stated if there's poor audio and loud guests that can affect it too.
Whatever guys, If you want a dull boring ride far be it from me to stop you. I plan on moving to california soon where apparently disney still appreciates their customers and doesnt off load terrible ride experiences that are nothing more than long winded commercials for car companies. Enjoy the steady but slow degradation of WDW.

Oh and after taking a quick look at these comments, the majority of people aren't very happy with this redesign, but if the pixie dust is that strong here maybe I should just post elsewhere. http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/test-track/reviews.htm

And what is futureworld now and days? Test Track, Space and Innoventions? Because There isnt anything that futuristic about, imgination, the land, Captain EO or The Living Nemo Seas, Your arguement is pointless since the "theme" you guys keep argueing for doesnt even exist any longer. At least with the previous iteration we had something to look at and a entertaining pre que. Now we have 2 fake concept cars and a bunch of flat screens thats the whole que. You guys are just extremely easy to please it seems.

Last edited:

erwinalber4

Whatever guys, If you want a dull boring ride far be it from me to stop you. I plan on moving to california soon where apparently disney still appreciates their customers and doesnt off load terrible ride experiences that are nothing more than long winded commercials for car companies. Enjoy the steady but slow degradation of WDW.

Oh and after taking a quick look at these comments, the majority of people aren't very happy with this redesign, but if the pixie dust is that strong here maybe I should just post elsewhere. http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/test-track/reviews.htm

And what is futureworld now and days? Test Track, Space and Innoventions? Because There isnt anything that futuristic about, imgination, the land, Captain EO or The Living Nemo Seas, Your arguement is pointless since the "theme" you guys keep argueing for doesnt even exist any longer. At least with the previous iteration we had something to look at and a entertaining pre que. Now we have 2 fake concept cars and a bunch of flat screens thats the whole que. You guys are just extremely easy to please it seems.
I'm not sure where you're getting that I want a "dull boring" ride. I never said anything more than that Test Track has a story and it does. Now although I do enjoy the ride, I will agree it could've been better in some aspects of course. I enjoy the experience as a whole I love designing cars and seeing how they stack up against others and the post show elements are far superior in my opinion. I enjoyed the previous version too but I'm failing to see how the 90s car garage theme is any better with the exception of the hot and cold chambers. I do miss the rough road test too but if we're talking about theme and immersion driving past giant blocks of different road types in a warehouse doesn't do anything more for me than what is there now. Same for the old road sign cutouts. Nobody is wrong here as the question of which is better is strictly opinion. Enjoy California.

Little Green Men

Its storyline is described online as well like on the Disney website and Wikipedia. Maybe now that you know the storyline you can enjoy it more? DL is very nice, it definitely has some improvements, but WDW does have its advantages as well. Have fun there!

bennyw01

Correct me if I am wrong - however back in May when I was there and watched aerial filming above EPCOT one morning from my window at the Wyndham - wasn't this for a new version of Soarin?

Communicore

And what is futureworld now and days? Test Track, Space and Innoventions? Because There isnt anything that futuristic about, imgination, the land, Captain EO or The Living Nemo Seas, Your arguement is pointless since the "theme" you guys keep argueing for doesnt even exist any longer.
Of course!! There's no more theme in this Epcot "theme park"!

RadiatorSpringsRacer

I have to agree that the new Test Track, in addition to still being thrilling as ever, is a definite thematic improvement over the original - for reasons I stated recently.

I can see why not everyone loves the new one, but at the same time, it says "Future World" more now than before. Never mind the aesthetics...the rider learns, if only briefly, about the process of engineering the next great vehicle of tomorrow and why each element of the process is so important. Is it worth putting in the plasma burner for more power if it'll take away some efficiency? Will the car look meaner with more windshield rake or a different-looking grille? Those wheels look really nice, but will they improve the handling?

Overall, I like it very much, but it's not strictly perfect. The main problem I see, for instance, is the total lack of explanation for why your surroundings suddenly look realistic in the final test.

rioriz

I have to agree that the new Test Track, in addition to still being thrilling as ever, is a definite thematic improvement over the original - for reasons I stated recently.

Overall, I like it very much, but it's not strictly perfect. The main problem I see, for instance, is the total lack of explanation for why your surroundings suddenly look realistic in the final test.

They will have the same problem in Shanghai as the Tron Coaster too leaves the building for an outdoor run...boggles my mind why tho

sedati

They will have the same problem in Shanghai as the Tron Coaster too leaves the building for an outdoor run...boggles my mind why tho
I thought that part was getting a "Tron Cover" an organic shaped structure for the high speed portion.

rioriz

tron-coaster-close-up1-big.jpg
I thought that part was getting a "Tron Cover" an organic shaped structure for the high speed portion.
It has a cover that will be porous

sedati

tron-coaster-close-up1-big.jpg

It has a cover that will be porous
... not sure if sarcasm or yet another example of forums not knowing how construction works.
From the artwork, it at least seems to be getting some sort of glass covering. Hard to say unless you know something most don't- the project has had so little revealed.

rioriz

... not sure if sarcasm or yet another example of forums not knowing how construction works.
From the artwork, it at least seems to be getting some sort of glass covering. Hard to say unless you know something most don't- the project has had so little revealed.

Don't know more than most But following the project closely...if covered by glass or not I am interested why the coaster has to go outside at all...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom