20 years of Splash Mountain

The Empress Lilly

Indeed! I like the route the train takes now and the view of the Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah scene.
I love that too!

Hey, that's another one for the 'improved over time' thread. The WDW railroad was build a bit of a bore. Nothing to look at anywhere, except near the river. Yes kids, the fabled orginal WDW was not without its mistakes or rides build on the cheap.

Thunder, and later Splash even more so, gave us something to look at.

pumpkin7

happy birthday splash! let's hope it gets a nice refurb soon for it's birthday because it sure does look its age. poor thing.

Thrill Seeker

Considering Thunder just had one and Country Bears is getting one, that leaves Splash as the only attraction in Frontierland that hasn't gotten a major refurb (no, I don't count 2011's 1 month one that brought the lap bars). I'm hoping in early 2013 we'll see Splash and GMR close for major refurbs.

Tom

Beta Return
Considering Thunder just had one and Country Bears is getting one, that leaves Splash as the only attraction in Frontierland that hasn't gotten a major refurb (no, I don't count 2011's 1 month one that brought the lap bars). I'm hoping in early 2013 we'll see Splash and GMR close for major refurbs.

Splash needs some serious love. Even if it were closed during my next trip, or two, I would make the sacrifice if it meant it was getting some serious attention. Clean every scene. Replace every broken AA/Animated Character. Fix 100% of the original effects. Add new effects.

GMR could use some replaced scenes to freshen it up a bit. Can't really ADD to it (except to put something where the tornado was supposed to go), but scenes like Tarzan could probably be better utilized.

sgtmgd

It would be nice if they retheme Splash to something more modern such as a Pixar film. Wall-E World: The Dead Planet.

Respect your opinion but I couldnt disagree more..Spalsh Mountain is still a fantastic ride..yes the its in need of a refurb has been beat to death over and over and is true..but to re-theme Splash Mountain..a signature ride at the marquis park doesn't make sense to me. The ride is fantastically themed and IMO (which doesn't count for beans) one of the best..well last E ticket rides in all the parks .

wiigirl

75.gif
Happy anniversary Splash! Splash is one of my faves!

Mine too! :D

Timekeeper

It's nice to know that all of the mold and mildew in the logs that attach themselves to my person every time that I ride is at least vintage, and not something recently cultivated. You just don't get the same aroma and body with the newer spores.

Alektronic

Splash needs some serious love. Even if it were closed during my next trip, or two, I would make the sacrifice if it meant it was getting some serious attention. Clean every scene. Replace every broken AA/Animated Character. Fix 100% of the original effects. Add new effects.

GMR could use some replaced scenes to freshen it up a bit. Can't really ADD to it (except to put something where the tornado was supposed to go), but scenes like Tarzan could probably be better utilized.

They will NEVER shut down a ride just to work on the show, if the ride needs work then they could work on the show concurrently. They think they can just work on the show at nights without shutting down the ride.

The Empress Lilly

I'm totally expecting a lenghty refurb of Splash in the near future.

mollydtt

I'll do bitter. :cool:

I still resent Splash for breaking the theme and placemaking of Frontierland. FL is inhabited by humans, not cartoons*. It is the West, not the South.

Splash should've been made the headline of a new land, together with Pooh! Then we'd still have Toad, plus hope of something WRE in FL, plus thematic integrity.

* Well dead cartoons, most of them move less than a possum playing dead.

First of all, I have to preface this with the fact that I LOVE Splash Mountain, ailing animatronics and all...

Plus, I believe that the original reason Splash Mountain got built was in order to bring more people to Critter Country. Since, I'm not looking at my Disney history books, I can't fill in the blanks, but I'd guess that some attractions left and others came which made the area seem more "west".

Anyway, I loved Song of the South, and love the music from Splash Mountain, so I'm just a big fan of it, no matter where it is.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
They will NEVER shut down a ride just to work on the show, if the ride needs work then they could work on the show concurrently. They think they can just work on the show at nights without shutting down the ride.

Which would be fine, IF they actually fixed the show scenes. But they don't, and Splash is a disaster now.

Biff215

I haven't seen those working in a long time, unfortunately. :( Nowadays, I rarely get more than a "good misting" on Splash.

In all seriousness, I think we can agree Splash needs some serious work. However, being the only real water ride at the park, it would be horrible if it were closed in the most visited summer months. Most first time visitors would be all over guest relations; I'm sure it would be a nightmare. So I'm hoping they finally close it down in or around the Christmas season.

Cannons seemed to be working fine in June when I was there. The main one doesn't fire every drop, more like every few drops. It definitely fired as it got us pretty good. There is no such thing as too wet in the heat of June, IMO.

I certainly agree that Splash could use some work, but I still enjoy the ride even without everything working. Shutting it down for at least a few months in the winter would be a no brainer. If it weren't for the busy holiday seasons (Christmas and then Easter), it probably would have been done already.

Tom

Beta Return

They could....back in the day when they actually performed nightly maintenance. Now, to get Splash in working order, it has to come down. But you're right, just like with the Yeti, as long as guests keep getting in line, they'll keep it operating as-is.

Clever Name

If they ever shut down Splash for an extended period, they will completely retheme the attraction. The CEO's tire of the getting the same question at the annual sharholders meeting about re-releasing Song of the South. The movie is totally insensitive on many levels. Disney needs to put this behind them and move forward with an environmental theme.

Tom

Beta Return
If they ever shut down Splash for an extended period, they will completely retheme the attraction. The CEO's tire of the getting the same question at the annual sharholders meeting about re-releasing Song of the South. The movie is totally insensitive on many levels. Disney needs to put this behind them and move forward with an environmental theme.

Oh, I completely agree. They should rearrange all of the critters so that they're hugging trees and picking trash out of the flume and making compost. At the end, instead of the showboat, you can ride through a mock-up of Disney's ultra secret Straw Recycling Facility. They could lose the entire story, and turn it into something fantastic, like a much less entertaining version of Living with the Land.

Meanwhile, they should also remove all the oil derricks from the Norway ride - they're quite offensive.

Clever Name

Oh, I completely agree. They should rearrange all of the critters so that they're hugging trees and picking trash out of the flume and making compost. At the end, instead of the showboat, you can ride through a mock-up of Disney's ultra secret Straw Recycling Facility. They could lose the entire story, and turn it into something fantastic, like a much less entertaining version of Living with the Land.

Meanwhile, they should also remove all the oil derricks from the Norway ride - they're quite offensive.

ellie-badge

Have you ever actually seen the movie? I didn't find it insensitive at all.

Also, may I inquire as to why you think inserting Wall-E, a futuristic robot from the year 2805, would be perfectly acceptable in Frontierland?

WDWmazprty

Are you kidding?! Insensitive? how? Just because the setting takes place in a time of American history where there was slavery doesnt make the movie insensitive. I could see maybe if it promoted slavery, but of course thats not the case.
You might as well say EVERY movie that has anything to do with slavery is an insensitive movie. Besides, the movie even isn't about that. Its about the use of the imagination to tell stories and learn lessons. I realize everyone has the right to their opinion, but to call the movie insenstive is a little too much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom