20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

DonickCo

i overlayed a Sat photo

Attachments

• 2k.tun.jpg
    2k.tun.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 553

tangaroa

Sorry for dragging this topic back from the depths...

I certianly don't believe any of this hogwash that the walls of the lagoon are being held up by the water.

The weight of the water would be pushing outwards on the walls of the lagoon (and surrounding utilidors). The maximum amount of weight and pressure the water is going to exert on the walls of the lagoon (and the point that a collapse would be most likely) would be when the lagoon is fully filled. Draining the lagoon would REDUCE the pressure on the walls and danger or a collapse.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they drain the lagoon shortly after 20k closed? If the walls were in such a bad shape, and a danger to the utilidors, they wouldn't have refilled it.

There's no need right now to drain the lagoon either. It's much prettier than a big hole in the ground.

WDWFREAK53

I agree that it looks much better than a whole in the ground...but it's such a HUGE piece of Fantasyland and something needs to go in there. Fantasyland seems so empty down in that area. Plus, if you build something there that the kids will like, that would take some of the lines away from Peter Pan and Pooh. I would not make this attraction an E-ticket attraction though, maybe a semi-thrilling family ride...(Mary Poppins maybe???)and I think they should TOTALLY redo the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway...the smells and sounds from it are horrible...turn it into a Herbie attraction!!!

DarkMeasures

Two years since a post in this topic but I find it funny about what everyone has previously said because all of it is untrue.

1. The Lagoon has been drained and no major damage from this.
2. No dangerous gases
3. No utilidoor flooding

Well now the Lagoon will be gone in a couple months and I laugh.

But I saw some interior pics from above water. Wooden walls, wooden catwalks, nothing special.

Atta83

DarkMeasures said:
Two years since a post in this topic but I find it funny about what everyone has previously said because all of it is untrue.

2. No dangerous gases
3. No utilidoor flooding

But I saw some interior pics from above water. Wooden walls, wooden catwalks, nothing special.

:sohappy: :sohappy: Thank you.....

Well its better to be safe than sorry. It could have maybe collapsed if they werent careful enough, but nothing did happen so now the question is...whats going to be put in that prime area...?

matrtj

What now though?

They are redoing the 20k ride in DisneyLand as a Nemo theme - shame they coundn't have done it with this one as well.

Anybody heard what is going here?

Fordlover

DarkMeasures said:

2. No dangerous gases
3. No utilidoor flooding

I have a good friend that works for a pool company, he told me the problem doesn't come from draining a large man made body of water, it's once the water is gone. The problem comes when the pressure of the water against the walls is removed. This can cause a wall to collapse inwards if left long enough without water. Most man made pools/bodies of water are engineered well enough to consider the pressure/weight of the water. I didn't think the lagoon was deep enough to have wall problems, but when you gonna show us the pictures of the interior of 20K?

Wonder how many of the people that posted in here are still here after 2 years.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I`m still here!

The equal pressure theory dosn`t work on 20k - it had been totally emptied at least once for a refurb / painting of the pool and nothing happened then...

There are a couple of interior pics floating around - nothing special (bit too dark to see but you can understand the catwalk system)

Fordlover

just how deep was the lagoon back when it was filled with water? I only saw it in person when I was 12, and in pictures on here. I was guessing somewhere around 4-7 feet. Not a whole lot of pressure on the walls, but all together alot of water weight, however I'm sure that was well considered durring the engineering of the ride... I haven't seen ANYTHING half-done at Disney.

Is the warehouse part of the ride being torn down? I'm certain they are or already have gutted the interior if they are planing to reuse it at some point.

I'd be interesting to see some back stage pictures. Also if they have gutted the warehouse, it'd be great time to take a picture, as I'm sure they have VERY good lighting installed for the construction workers.

DarkMeasures

Everything is now completly gone, even the wareghouse. If Disney were to use the space behind Village Haus also, Fantasyland could now double in size.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They could build a Space Mountain on the plot and still have room left for a dozen shops and a meet n greet :)

matrtj

What's the betting we only get the dozen shops and a meet n greet?

Not even a plaque saying '20,000 leagues finaly sunk 2004' or 'R.I.P. 20k' ....

M

EpcotFanatic04

I hate to pick on Mkt (Rob), but he was TOTALLY wrong about this.

The lagoon is GONE now, and it was done very slowly, the drainage took from April 19 until almost mid June. It could've been done MUCH more quickly. They drained it slowly...and nope it didn't crumble.

I really don't see the purpose in draining a perfectly pretty (though idle) lagoon in favor of a garden. The Lagoon was (although I haven't, obviously, SEEN the "upcoming" garden) PROBABLY much, much prettier. The waterfalls from the Cave of 20K (turned off a few years ago) and Ariel's Grotto created a nice feeling.

Now it'll be some flowers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom