20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

WDWsmith2001

walls huh?

I tned to believe "tiggerman" it sounds just wierd enough to be plausible. But I'm still depressed. Seems the magic is eroding.

isnet396

The loading of Horizons concerning the wheelchairs simply involved in temporarily stopping the ride, and transferring someone in a wheelchair from it to the vehicles....sorry for my misunderstanding with the wall....Here's one thing i don't get though...Obviously its the water thats causing the damage to the side WALL :p . Why cant they just take the water out?

Ian

Al

Originally posted by mktiggerman
the floor and sidewalls of the 20k lagoon are eroding and falling apart from years of slack maintenance. If the lagoon were to be drained, the sidewalls would collapse (the water supports them) causing a major collapse into the tunnel (mainly to the locker rooms, costuming, and cash control). If they were to put ride vehicles back in, the ground would collapse into the tunnel, flooding it. Honestly, I don't foresee anything being done w/ this area, and any repair would more than likely mean closing off the entire back half of MK that is above the tunnel.

this is what I've been told by Fantasyland Management, and Maintenance Management, which I 've confirmed through my neighbors which are Imagineers.

Also, to add evidence to this, last year, the character festival had to be closed for approx 10 days because a rock collapsed into the tunnel and caused flooding in the female locker room.

im sure they could fix it, but i heard that it would cost a hellofa lot of money.

Al

if they were to seal off the lagoon and the warehouse, then they could build ontop on the warehouse site, and just leave the lagoon there, (because i guess it does look quite nice). if the new ride has a aqua theme then they could put the sign in the lagoon (i mean like just to the side, with maybe water running down).
If not, then like i said it could just be there for decoration (they could call it Captian Nemos bay, and just drop a few props in).

If they could free up a bit of room up around the warehouse for the que etc, then i think it may work.

:D :D

DonickCo

Originally posted by mktiggerman
the floor and sidewalls of the 20k lagoon are eroding and falling apart from years of slack maintenance. If the lagoon were to be drained, the sidewalls would collapse (the water supports them) causing a major collapse into the tunnel (mainly to the locker rooms, costuming, and cash control). If they were to put ride vehicles back in, the ground would collapse into the tunnel, flooding it. Honestly, I don't foresee anything being done w/ this area, and any repair would more than likely mean closing off the entire back half of MK that is above the tunnel.

this is what I've been told by Fantasyland Management, and Maintenance Management, which I 've confirmed through my neighbors which are Imagineers.

Also, to add evidence to this, last year, the character festival had to be closed for approx 10 days because a rock collapsed into the tunnel and caused flooding in the female locker room.

So the tunnel is under the lagoon.
is so, how much of it?
and where?

Irrawaddy Erik

TiggerMan is correct with what he is saying. It's we are taught in training in fantasyland and have been told from several mantenence friends that 20K is basicly being held up by the water. The area back stage in unbelivably gross the water has all kinds of chemicals and trash floating it it. Plus I remeber that rock slide that just happened this past year. I was in the tunnels and a lot of people were very scared that the whole thing was going to go.

Just a little bit of info

Sketch105

Original Poster
20k was such a great ride. Its sad to hear that Disney is stuck in a rut with the crumbling show building and everything. Everytime I go, I sit by the lagoon and sigh sadly. Such a wonderful attraction, which left so many memories. Thanks to all of you who replied to my original post, I really appreciate it. I haven't been able to find people who were so enthusiastic about this ride.

I was really hoping Atlantis would have been a huge hit, so we could see some sort of change in the lagoon..but its sad that that is not the case.

One day...maybe under different management. But right now, the sight of those subs

...rotting away in the graveyard,
...sitting at the Disney MGM studios water tank
...or (even creepier) lying at the bottom of a coral reef in the Bahamas
its sad to see such a great attraction forgotten like that.

Does anyone know where i can get old merchandise from it?

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
Bahamas?

...or (even creepier) lying at the bottom of a coral reef in the Bahamas

There is one lying at the bottom of a coral reef in the bahamas? I'd love to go scuba diving there!

Rider

Re: Bahamas?

Originally posted by Mr Disney

There is one lying at the bottom of a coral reef in the bahamas? I'd love to go scuba diving there!

That's the point :)

The one in MGM.... it wasn't a ride vechical (too small) it was the model they used in filming. And it is no longer there, I went over Christmas and didn't see it.

adr315

Originally posted by Sketch105

Does anyone know where i can get old merchandise from it?

At any of the "Art of Disney" stores (in Downtown Disney, and Epcot) they sell replicas of the classic attractions posters that they have at MK under the railroad at the entrance. They have a 20K one, for $25 i believe. Its the same 20K poster seen in Eisner's office in the "One Man's Dream" movie at MGM......

timoteo

False informantion

I would not believe most of what has been said regarding 20,000.

The lagoon is not over the utilidors or their entrances. The subs were gas powered engines that were too costly too operate and maintain. The fumes were causing problems with workers and the lagoon also needed painting and rehab too often. It was the cost per rider ratio that killed it. If pooh is 5 cents per guest to operate then 20,000 leagues was like 50 cents per guest. Water and gas engines. Think about it. The lagoon can be drained and has been drained. Flooding in the utilidors has not been caused by the lagoon walls.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Re: False informantion

Originally posted by timoteo
Flooding in the utilidors has not been caused by the lagoon walls.

when was the last time you were there? A rockslide into the utilidor caused the Female Showers to be shut down once already, as well as the old queue area to be shut down.. all in the past year

Michael Darling

Forgive me for not rememering (I was 3 the last time I saw 20k operating) but where was the queue area? Was all of it contained where the "Fantasyland Character Festival" is now? Where was the loading area, and why did I cry so much on the ride? :lol:

AdLibSean

Re: Whats the problem?

Originally posted by isnet396
I don't see a real problem in draining the lagoon...they probably have the ability to anyway for insuance reasons (The tank at the living seas must drain completely within 2 minutes for the same reason)....they'd probably fill the lagoon with something or make it part of the queue for a new attraction anyway

Ian

(I don't think there is anyway The Living Seas tank can COMPLETELY drain in 2 mins, plus, whats gonna happen to all the fish? ANYWAY, thats not was this post is about.)

So what are they going to do? Are they just going to leave it be UNTILL it collapses? Its probably only a matter of time. I don't understand if they have all of these qualified people employed who are structural engineers and stuff, who haven't come up with a solution to drain the lagoon AND not flood the tunnels. Necessity breeds invention and uhmmm I THINK THIS IS NECESSARY. Although wouldn't it just be like human nature to wait for something to happen before a looming problem is addressed. Ok I'm off my soapbox...

agdbeanie

If it was really a case of the lagoon collapsing into the tunnel area below they could just block off that area underneath and take care of business. I don't really think that this is the issue. I think that they just don't know what to do with this area and they don't have a sponsor for a new ride or whatever so they use it for character greetings which are low cost and always draw a big crowd of kids.

Irrawaddy Erik

Originally posted by agdbeanie
If it was really a case of the lagoon collapsing into the tunnel area below they could just block off that area underneath and take care of business. I don't really think that this is the issue. I think that they just don't know what to do with this area and they don't have a sponsor for a new ride or whatever so they use it for character greetings which are low cost and always draw a big crowd of kids.

well they cant block off that area b/c it holds costuming, the mens and womens locker rooms, the Main zoo, the mousecateria and the fantasyland opperations/merchandice base along with several other things

Domboy

has anyone got a plan of the utilidors so we can see which area is affected?

As I dont work there I have no idea :)

Probably asking something someone has already posted so soz :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom