20,000 Leagues: Prime Real Estate!

tdonald

Original Poster
When will Disney realize that 20,000 LUtS's grave is a perfect spot for a big new attraction? :brick:If you look at it from Google Maps, you'll see how much space there is behind Pooh's Playful Spot and Ariel's Grotto for something. If they needed even more room, they could always build it outside the berm( like with Space Mountain), because there isn't even anything there(not to mention possibly moving the berm, ala Splash Mountain).
I know they've thought about Fire Mountain and that hasn't gone anywhere. With DCA getting a Little Mermaid ride, talk is of putting a clone or similar attraction there. I would personally love Fire Mountain, though I don't think that'll happen, or a land or semi-land about villains (I don't think they need a whole park).
Plus, though the Haunted Mansion's refurb was great, and the Laugh Floor is popular, when was the last big E-ticket ride in the Magic Kingdom:...Um...let's see...:veryconfu...Splash Mountain (16 years ago!)
Any ideas or rumors?

the-reason14

What I hear is that the MK is doing fine as far as attendance goes. And WDI is concentrating more on the other theme parks that need more rides/attraction. Specifically AK and MGM, TSM is about to open and E:E's been open and these are great additions and steps in the right direction. But I think to alot of folks, AK, and MGM are just half day parks. I think disney is concentrating on making them full day parks like MK is. So as of now, while yes, MK hasnt had an E ticket for years(more like decades) and the pooh playground imo is a crappy and dumb substitute for space. It is waht it is, and that is probably going to be there for awhile, probably until MK needs a big draw.

EPCOT Explorer

I would just be concerned building a huge mountain like the afore said fire mountain so close to the fireworks launch site and behind the castle.If you want *really* prime real estate look to the Skybucket stations and the Tomorrowland race way.:lookaroun

tdonald

Original Poster
Actually, I think Epcot is probably most in need of a big E-Ticket sometime in the next few years. Crowds need to be drawn away from a certain mega-ride (*cough*soarin'*cough*), and Epcot always seems a little less crowded than it is, due to large pathways. And if you compare Epcot's attendance to AK's and DHS's...well, it should be MUCH more, not a little more than the so-called "half-day" parks. :shrug:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I would just be concerned building a huge mountain like the afore said fire mountain so close to the fireworks launch site and behind the castle.If you want *really* prime real estate look to the Skybucket stations and the Tomorrowland race way.:lookaroun

Don't you DARE touch the Skybucket building! :mad:

(Just a play on people defending their favorite attraction!)

jedimaster1227

Any ideas or rumors?

The land has a purpose. You won't see it for a few more years (at least on the current timetable) but when it is built, it will be spectacular. Mind you, this attraction will NOT be a mountain.

The attraction to be built there will be indoors, so fireworks won't likely be an issue.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Patience. Something is coming but there are currently more squeaky wheels that need grease on the WDW machine.

aladdin2007

I dont know when, I dont know how but somethings starting right now under the sea wish I could be, part of your world..... Ok so maybe not right now, but Ariel has a point. hint hint. :wave:

Fun2BFree

I keep seeing this "E-Ticket" term. What exactly is E-Ticket?:shrug:

Thanks in advance!!!

It dates back to the old ticketing system, where rides were assigned categories, with A tickets being the least important (e.g. shooting gallery) and E tickets the most (e.g. Pirates). Even though that ticketing system has since been replaced, the terminology has survived. Examples of modern E tickets include Expedition Everest and Soarin'. :wave:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I keep seeing this "E-Ticket" term. What exactly is E-Ticket?:shrug:

Thanks in advance!!!

Attractions used to be rated with a letter scale.

There were "A" tickets through "E" tickets. The "A" tickets were like the Omnibus on Main St. with each progressive letter becoming a more involved attraction . The "E" tickets were the most expensive, technological breakthrough attractions. The blockbusters, the crowd pleasers, the mega attractions.

The term has really lost a lot of it's meaning now, since even the most mundane attraction can still cost in the millions. :shrug:

MattyFresh

Maybe I am missing something.....or quite possibly not as in the loop as some of you are. But what is the idea behind fire mountain??

EPCOT Explorer

Don't you DARE touch the Skybucket building! :mad:

(Just a play on people defending their favorite attraction!)

Obnoxous post thread,Doug?;)

LOL

The land has a purpose. You won't see it for a few more years (at least on the current timetable) but when it is built, it will be spectacular. Mind you, this attraction will NOT be a mountain.

The attraction to be built there will be indoors, so fireworks won't likely be an issue.
Indoors?...Intreguing...

Doombuggy13

I guess I'm confused about why they did away with 20K Leauges. This was one of the best attractions ever and it broke my heart when it was closed. I always was under the impression that it was closed because it was too difficult for handicapped people to enter the subs. But disneyland is operating the same style ride with thier Nemo attraction. Could someone tell me the real reason this wonderful attraction was closed?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I guess I'm confused about why they did away with 20K Leauges. This was one of the best attractions ever and it broke my heart when it was closed. I always was under the impression that it was closed because it was too difficult for handicapped people to enter the subs. But disneyland is operating the same style ride with thier Nemo attraction. Could someone tell me the real reason this wonderful attraction was closed?
There was no single reason why it closed ,rather it was a combination of many factors. It was incredibly expensive to operate, it was an absolute maintenance nightmare, there were ADA issues and it had a very low guest per hour capacity.

JLW11Hi

Though I would love to see something new come to MK, I like the current plan of action, giving all the new big ticket attractions to the parks that really need them, and letting MK have all of the much needed rehabs of the classic attractions there.

After a while, the other parks will hopefully be up to speed and MK's lot of attractions will be back up to pristine quality (like the Mansion!) Then I think everyone will be ready for something big and new in the Magic Kingdom.

Fun2BFree

According to Jeff Kurtti's "Since the World Began" book:

'Due to labor-intensive operation and maintenance, however, Walt Disney World's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea had to be closed until further notice in 1994.'

And of course, it'll never reopen like that again. I'm looking forward to whatever WDI will serve up.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
When will Disney realize that 20,000 LUtS's grave is a perfect spot for a big new attraction?
About 14 years ago. Try a thread search for lots of info, discussions and comparissons on this plot of land. And also the real reasons it shut, and how it happened.

As Jedi said, all is in hand - it just isn`t ready yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom