Trip Report 2 Broke Guys - on a boat! 😃

Been debating when to post this. Some of you are already aware of our upcoming trip. (First cruise ever!) What came in the mail today inspired me to get started on this pre-TR:

F8C933C4-6FC5-4195-B364-6761D0165C15.jpeg

My very first passport.

Note there is only one. Currently we are joking that I’m going alone because Brian’s got rejected. 😆🤔 I’m sure his will arrive Monday. 🤔

When: September 5 to 9, 2022. Translation:
34D29465-D9FC-405E-80F6-56B8AAF3E95D.jpeg

Who are going: Tony & Brian
146AEA94-9CDA-48DF-9AD0-237D6B5E63E0.jpeg

Who is left out: Kylie, our nearly 14 year old German Shepherd Chow-Chow rescue.
3518D349-FE2F-4AC5-B4AD-E59E82779DC1.jpeg

Although she’s having a bath on the back patio right now, the pic of her is from a recent drive to the Florida Keys. We pretty much bring her on all trips now, including WDW. As she has aged, she doesn’t take being left alone as well, even with a trusted sitter. Even for one night.

So although we are very concerned about her, we’re trying to arrange multiple people visiting the house more often than just the sitter would, and offering the sitter extra money for more quality time. (Guilt money, for sure.)

And that will likely be the biggest out of pocket expense for this trip (except maybe the passports) because, true to form, we are doing this 4 night Bahamas cruise out of Miami (including all drinks, fancy meals, liquor tastings and souvenirs) entirely on Chase Disney Visa Rewards Points. 😀👊🏻👏🏻

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Hello @Tony the Tigger
The vacation plan looks great
I have nothing to offer on cruises other than I hope you two have a great anniversary trip!

I am still bummed we did not get to meet up in May 2020 - hopefully someday in the future...

Max

It's bound to happen eventually!

Slight chance of a quick stop at WDW for my bday at the end of next month (with the mongrel) but I don't know...something tells me it might be too much for her, to then leave her home alone 4 days later for the cruise.

(I have sworn not to mix my bday with our anniversary cruise LOL It's about "us" not "me.")

:angelic:

View attachment 655668
Sending excited well wishes for your anniversary trip from the three of us. I can't believe that Kylie is going on 14!! I will be curious to hear how the whole dramamine thing works out...I generally take the ginger one when travelling, and am still able to enjoy a glass of wine (or two...or three) without any ill effects. I'm looking forward to all of the pics!

I cannot even handle all of that cuteness.

Miss Thing had to go for a routine rabies shot today...$500 later (skin infection, Apoquel, medicated shampoo, etc.) and I found out I'm really bad at collecting dog pee since getting back home!

I wish the vet took #@%*!! Disney Chase Visa points!

Side note: first day with a trainer at the gym today. Methinks it may be a smidge too late for abs by September 5.

ceecee101

Re: excursions: no.

I looked, I was game, I'd see things that sounded nice like a "banana boat ride" (banana? ice cream?) and then I'd watch a video and realize it was actually *perfect* - if I wanted to lose my husband at sea. Thankfully, I don't. No way Mr. Clumsy would be able to hold onto that thing barreling through the water.

I may go for the tube/snorkel/bike package, because even if we don't use it, it's like under $20 per person. At least the option will be there. But honestly, we're not going to roll off the ship at 8AM. It's probably more like 11AM. Give us the beach without children, the drinks without children, and the lunch with or without children, and get us back on board for Mr. Clumsy's nap and a shower before dinner.
My Dad probably did 30+ cruises in his life, his favorite thing was to stay on the ship when everyone else got off to do excursions. Said it was great and staff super attentive on those times!

ceecee101

Once again, all the welcomes to all the peeps, and thanks for so much actionable advice! (Jotting down notes.)

Speaking of jotting down notes, I've selected the sofa in a back room we never use to place everything I learn/think of/remember to bring - because I know I won't remember when it comes time to pack. (So far it's just some BOGO swim shoes for each of us and some BOGO Dramamine - medium strength - from Walgreens the other day.) As it gets closer, I'll start piling clothes up back there. Hmm...I can probably do socks right now :hilarious: .

Speaking of Dramamine...should we rehash that whole thing? I've been reading so much, everyone has different experiences and different things that work. We've never been on a ship this size. I thought they were much less prone to seasickness (in calmer waters) than say, a small fishing boat where someone other than myself got sick in the Keys as I battled to reel in something that was probably just my hook stuck under a rock. (So butch! Almost.)

The three different versions of Dramamine have zero in common other than the name. The strongest (and drowsiest) is one medication, the "less drowsy" is a completely different ingredient, and the "ginger" version is literally just ginger. Being a Virgo, I bought the middle one for both of us. (Mine is chewable because I'm an 8 year old and will be more likely to take it that way.) From what I'm reading, it may be best to start 1-2 days before the cruise, and take it at night to avoid daytime drowsiness/alcohol conflicts. (But then does it work during the day?) P.S. I have fresh baby ginger chews from Publix(?)

What drives me nuts is we might not even need it at all, but I hear if you find out you do need it, it's kind of too late and will take some time to work (except for Sea Bands, which seem like Voodoo, but we're getting those too. Cover all the bases.)

I have never gotten sick on a boat, he has. I get sick on Star Tours, though. (Do not do. Do not try.)
I’ve cruised a few times. Not prone much to seasickness but once it was rough, I used wrist sea bands. Those things for me worked PERFECTLY.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Update: “Less drowsy” is still drowsy! 🥱

At the suggestion of others, I decided to experiment and take one of the “medium spicy” Dramamine tablets ahead of time to see how it would affect me.

It probably wasn’t the best night to do this, but last night before bed and after coming home around 2 AM (long story, but I won) I took one. I slept better than usual, but I’m not loving how I feel right now. It’s not as bad as Benadryl, but I’m definitely dulled, and wouldn’t want to feel like this on the cruise - especially with drinks.

So I think I may roll the dice and start off with the Sea Bands and maybe some ginger, but I’ll have these on me just in case.

All in all, a successful experiment! Glad I did it early.

Also: if you book Palo or Remy on the first night, you can book it twice for dinner per cruise. Since I did have to cancel the bourbon tasting because it conflicted with dinner time, and since it costs about the same, I added dinner at Palo on the first night. (I wanted to save Remy to be special on the last night.)

That means on a 4 night cruise, we’ll have upgraded dinners for 3 of them and only 1 night of rotational dining.

And, this happened earlier but I forgot to mention it, I purchased the keepsake photo book for the trip. The unlimited photo package seemed excessive for 2 people with no kids. The book allows you to choose something like 35 pictures, and they’ll be in a book you get sent to your home after the cruise. I think that’s fine, and I can’t lose them lol.

Finally, decided not to partake of the fish extender exchange.

Heading to NOLA on Monday! (Just me.)

B hinted he would be ok with stopping by The World with the puppy for my bday, and he could get off work. I checked, and a cabin is available at not a terrible price. So there may be a mini-TR in this pre-TR!

joshsprincess921

Once again, all the welcomes to all the peeps, and thanks for so much actionable advice! (Jotting down notes.)

Speaking of jotting down notes, I've selected the sofa in a back room we never use to place everything I learn/think of/remember to bring - because I know I won't remember when it comes time to pack. (So far it's just some BOGO swim shoes for each of us and some BOGO Dramamine - medium strength - from Walgreens the other day.) As it gets closer, I'll start piling clothes up back there. Hmm...I can probably do socks right now :hilarious: .

Speaking of Dramamine...should we rehash that whole thing? I've been reading so much, everyone has different experiences and different things that work. We've never been on a ship this size. I thought they were much less prone to seasickness (in calmer waters) than say, a small fishing boat where someone other than myself got sick in the Keys as I battled to reel in something that was probably just my hook stuck under a rock. (So butch! Almost.)

The three different versions of Dramamine have zero in common other than the name. The strongest (and drowsiest) is one medication, the "less drowsy" is a completely different ingredient, and the "ginger" version is literally just ginger. Being a Virgo, I bought the middle one for both of us. (Mine is chewable because I'm an 8 year old and will be more likely to take it that way.) From what I'm reading, it may be best to start 1-2 days before the cruise, and take it at night to avoid daytime drowsiness/alcohol conflicts. (But then does it work during the day?) P.S. I have fresh baby ginger chews from Publix(?)

What drives me nuts is we might not even need it at all, but I hear if you find out you do need it, it's kind of too late and will take some time to work (except for Sea Bands, which seem like Voodoo, but we're getting those too. Cover all the bases.)

I have never gotten sick on a boat, he has. I get sick on Star Tours, though. (Do not do. Do not try.)
I prefer Bonine as I didn't find it to make me drowsy at all. It's 24 hours so I started taking it the night before (just incase it did make me drowsy) and then every night I would take another one and I had no issues. I started taking it on my Disney trips now also because all of sudden I experience motion sickness on some rides and when taking Bonine I feel perfectly fine. I have yet to try it out on Star Tours tho...that just scares me! It's also a chewable.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Well, I’ve been eating a lot of this all week:

516BD4D5-47AD-427E-A4E3-A834DF031000.jpeg

OK, I’ve been eating a lot of a lot all week, darnit. After all that effort at the gym…seriously detouring my cruise bod goals! 🤣

100% worth it. 😋

Last night, one of the music distributors took a bunch of us out to his favorite restaurant in the area. He chartered a bus and everything. The meal was phenomenal.

And when I went outside to answer Brian’s call, this:

C4A3EAE6-7720-482B-9592-AEC3CA9AFCC6.jpeg

I bent down to say hello, and she jumped on my leg and wouldn’t get down for like 5 minutes. What a sweetie. This was the restaurant:

6561EE3D-79C7-4ABA-B47B-0E92D6912E60.jpeg

Note the kitty photobomb. 🐈‍⬛

Funny thing is I know a guy named Mosca back in Florida (also originally from Jersey like me.)

Anyhoo, the moment we boarded the bus back to the hotel, I checked FB and saw people on our cruise had gotten their room assignments. I checked and so did we!

As you know, we booked a 7A verandah with obstructed view.

***insert pixie dust here***

What we got was a 4A deluxe family room on deck 10 - no more obstructed view, a higher deck, a bigger room by almost 55 sq feet, and the round tub with rain shower head to boot!

Woo hoo!

I said not one word to anyone on the bus ride home as I tried to determine the extent of our good fortune (and/or what was the catch, since I am basically Charlie Brown.) I had heard the potential drawback of deck 10 was the noise level from deck 11 above - but most said that was outweighed by the convenience of easy access to deck 11.

With a little help from @Tiggerish , I think we may be in what she referred to as “an oasis” meaning not really under anything major.

785AB074-8999-4637-9327-66B712DDA7CD.jpeg

…and I’m feelin’ goooooooood 😊

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I know a guy from Jersey named Mosca... :cautious:

The only potential drawback to being thatclose to Deck 11 is that you're further from the adult nightlife on Deck 4. 🤪 Which is why I always go for Deck 7. We also practice "the stair rule"--no elevators! All the stairwork is supposed to offset all the eating and drinking...

I can't wait to find out if you love Skyline as much as I do!

fractal

Detour:

View attachment 658991

My first Vieux-Carré in New Orleans (this trip.)

That and my first jambalaya led to my first nap.

Back to the cruise: a couple of nights ago was the 30 day mark, and we are checked in. 😊

Didn't know what that was, had to look it up. That drink has an interesting history. Now I just have to learn how to pronounce it!

Last edited:

93boomer

Premium Member

View attachment 659760

OK, I’ve been eating a lot of a lot all week, darnit. After all that effort at the gym…seriously detouring my cruise bod goals! 🤣

100% worth it. 😋

Last night, one of the music distributors took a bunch of us out to his favorite restaurant in the area. He chartered a bus and everything. The meal was phenomenal.

View attachment 659763

I bent down to say hello, and she jumped on my leg and wouldn’t get down for like 5 minutes. What a sweetie. This was the restaurant:

View attachment 659764

Funny thing is I know a guy named Mosca back in Florida (also originally from Jersey like me.)

Anyhoo, the moment we boarded the bus back to the hotel, I checked FB and saw people on our cruise had gotten their room assignments. I checked and so did we!

What we got was a 4A deluxe family room on deck 10 - no more obstructed view, a higher deck, a bigger room by almost 55 sq feet, and the round tub with rain shower head to boot!

Woo hoo!

I said not one word to anyone on the bus ride home as I tried to determine the extent of our good fortune (and/or what was the catch, since I am basically Charlie Brown.) I had heard the potential drawback of deck 10 was the noise level from deck 11 above - but most said that was outweighed by the convenience of easy access to deck 11.

With a little help from @Tiggerish , I think we may be in what she referred to as “an oasis” meaning not really under anything major.

View attachment 659765

Like Wow!!! Good for you!! You guys deserve the best! I can’t wait until you go. And here how you like it! We’ve never been on a cruise. 😊

erstwo

Didn't know what a that was, had to look it up. That drink has an interesting history. Now I just have to learn how to pronounce it!
And should you choose to partake - just remember it's a sipper! I almost Vieux-Carré-d myself under the table once. :geek:

View attachment 659760

100% worth it. 😋

View attachment 659763

View attachment 659764

Woo hoo!

View attachment 659765

Yaaaayyyy!!!! So excited for your awesome room! Now sending you all the good vibes for a quiet, awesome room.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Just got home from The Big Easy. Brian and I did not hug and wore masks when he picked me up at the airport.

No, we’re not fighting. I’m learning people who were at the convention went home and tested positive after a couple of negative tests. I was more careful than many - less socializing, masks in crowded meeting rooms, etc.

I just tested negative🕺🏻but I’ll be paying close attention the next couple of days. The employee I brought along also just tested negative.

While waiting for my results with my white strips in my mouth (hey, they each take 15 minutes!) I noticed a few things I hadn’t seen before were available for Castaway Cay day. So I booked this.

5DFCAAEE-8948-4E04-A67B-6B023A4EFE51.jpeg

Seems simple enough, right?

Then, I found my pile of mail for the week - and my eye went to a larger one. Inside were these:

9E2F393F-5B73-49AE-B06B-D3E8A75A68E1.jpeg

Custom door magnets! I love how these came out. The Chip & Dale one is a callback to the t-shirts we wore for our 10 year anniversary.

ETA: apparently everyone puts these on the door to their staterooms.

I’m going to see if I can send her a pic of Kylie and make another one to match. 💕 Then we’ll come back to the room to see her waiting for us.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
And…t-shirts!

Not as cute as last time, but those were official Disney shirts. Disney doesn’t seem to offer the personalization service we used 5 years ago.

Also, because I have to think like this, in the current political climate, I thought more generic was better. 😕

453EA49A-1051-4CB7-86FF-DF2967A4A713.jpeg

Side note: they seem to run pretty big! I’ll have to let Brian wash them because he shrinks everything. 🤣

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
And…t-shirts!

Not as cute as last time, but those were official Disney shirts. Disney doesn’t seem to offer the personalization service we used 5 years ago.

Also, because I have to think like this, in the current political climate, I thought more generic was better. 😕

View attachment 661398

Side note: they seem to run pretty big! I’ll have to let Brian wash them because he shrinks everything. 🤣
Those are really cute. Also love the magnets, esp Chip and Dale.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
And…t-shirts!

View attachment 661398

Last big event tees for comparison:

547E634A-F1B1-400A-9E35-7B9E29D486C0.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom