Trip Report 2 Broke Guys - on a boat! 😃

Been debating when to post this. Some of you are already aware of our upcoming trip. (First cruise ever!) What came in the mail today inspired me to get started on this pre-TR:

F8C933C4-6FC5-4195-B364-6761D0165C15.jpeg

My very first passport.

Note there is only one. Currently we are joking that I’m going alone because Brian’s got rejected. 😆🤔 I’m sure his will arrive Monday. 🤔

When: September 5 to 9, 2022. Translation:
34D29465-D9FC-405E-80F6-56B8AAF3E95D.jpeg

Who are going: Tony & Brian
146AEA94-9CDA-48DF-9AD0-237D6B5E63E0.jpeg

Who is left out: Kylie, our nearly 14 year old German Shepherd Chow-Chow rescue.
3518D349-FE2F-4AC5-B4AD-E59E82779DC1.jpeg

Although she’s having a bath on the back patio right now, the pic of her is from a recent drive to the Florida Keys. We pretty much bring her on all trips now, including WDW. As she has aged, she doesn’t take being left alone as well, even with a trusted sitter. Even for one night.

So although we are very concerned about her, we’re trying to arrange multiple people visiting the house more often than just the sitter would, and offering the sitter extra money for more quality time. (Guilt money, for sure.)

And that will likely be the biggest out of pocket expense for this trip (except maybe the passports) because, true to form, we are doing this 4 night Bahamas cruise out of Miami (including all drinks, fancy meals, liquor tastings and souvenirs) entirely on Chase Disney Visa Rewards Points. 😀👊🏻👏🏻

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
OK, so what are we doing on this trip?

Again, it's "only" four nights. I put that in quotes because as some of you know, our trips to WDW are often only 2-3 nights at a time. We haven't done a full week of anything in many years. It seems to work for us that way and "leaves us wanting more." (And this cruise configuration was pretty much the only option where we would actually be onboard on our special day.)

I didn't want to overbook us, such that we'd be running around from here to there, and/or constantly trashed with wine tasting after wine tasting lol.

We wanted to get a chance to explore the ship, relax, get some sun, and of course, enjoy some nice dinners. Play it by ear.

So naturally, when it came time to book our plans, I was up at midnight making sure we got everything important! Our travel agent (first time using one) was going to get up at 6AM the next day to do it, and that didn't seem like a risk I'd be willing to take. So I did it myself. Most likely one and done with a travel agent. Sacrificing total control for a $25 onboard credit and some half-hearted advice did not turn out to be worth it to me (so far.)

Being first-time cruisers, we are low men on the list for booking stuff. Literally last to pick. My one really big want - the one I would have been bummed about missing - was Remy (the restaurant) on our actual anniversary night, the 8th. So I knew I would go for that first, then Palo any night, and maybe brunches at both if they were available. Money is no object, we have points for days. Here's how we did:

Figgy1

Premium Member
OK, so what are we doing on this trip?

Again, it's "only" four nights. I put that in quotes because as some of you know, our trips to WDW are often only 2-3 nights at a time. We haven't done a full week of anything in many years. It seems to work for us that way and "leaves us wanting more." (And this cruise configuration was pretty much the only option where we would actually be onboard on our special day.)

I didn't want to overbook us, such that we'd be running around from here to there, and/or constantly trashed with wine tasting after wine tasting lol.

We wanted to get a chance to explore the ship, relax, get some sun, and of course, enjoy some nice dinners. Play it by ear.

So naturally, when it came time to book our plans, I was up at midnight making sure we got everything important! Our travel agent (first time using one) was going to get up at 6AM the next day to do it, and that didn't seem like a risk I'd be willing to take. So I did it myself. Most likely one and done with a travel agent. Sacrificing total control for a $25 onboard credit and some half-hearted advice did not turn out to be worth it to me (so far.)

Being first-time cruisers, we are low men on the list for booking stuff. Literally last to pick. My one really big want - the one I would have been bummed about missing - was Remy (the restaurant) on our actual anniversary night, the 8th. So I knew I would go for that first, then Palo any night, and maybe brunches at both if they were available. Money is no object, we have points for days. Here's how we did:
Well? How did you make out?

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Itinerary:

Day 1 - Miami, ship departs 3:45PM (we're hoping to board early enough to extend our day as much as possible, but late enough to not be in the crush of a line.)
8PM - Bourbon tasting*

Day 2 - At Sea
12:10 Remy brunch

Day 3 - Nassau, Bahamas (we decided, as of now, to stay onboard rather than explore Nassau. The Bahamas is a notoriously anti-gay place, and we figured it would be a good time to explore the less crowded ship, and things like the Aquaduck water coaster (which apparently has a long line most of the time.)

11AM - Palo brunch
8PM - Palo dinner

Yep, it's Palo day! Gotta bring a few nicer shirts! Note: assume any time there are wine pairings available with a meal, they will be happening.

Day 4 - Disney Castaway Cay (and our actual 15 year anniversary day.)

Yes, we know Castaway Cay is part of the Bahamas, but it's Disney's part. We will partake and seek out a spot on the adult beach. Beyond that:

6:40PM Remy dinner (wooooooo hoooooooo!!!) Yep, right at midnight, locked that down. Only time available, didn't care. Should be a fan-tabulous day. There is a champagne bar on board (!) near the restaurant (I think) so we may either begin or end there with a celebratory toast (although those wine pairing dinners can get you, so we have to be careful.)

*Been meaning to check this, and I just did - looks like we have to reschedule the bourbon tasting, because we chose second seating for dinner - which is around the same time. I'll get on that and update you guys!

So we'll be in the "rotating dining" for the first two nights, and then Palo day 3 and Remy day 4.

Woo hoo again!

Beyond that, we hear there are tours of the ship, karaoke, trivia, various demonstrations, shows, movies...oh yeah, bars, where we often meet our new BFFs...

There will be plenty to do. Oh yeah, and the gym. I'm sure I'll get there at least once. The Spa is on the table, but I never really love anything I see on the menu. We'll consider it for sure. If there was ever a time to go all out, it's on this trip. 41 days and counting...hoping for B's passport in the mail today!

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Re: excursions: no.

I looked, I was game, I'd see things that sounded nice like a "banana boat ride" (banana? ice cream?) and then I'd watch a video and realize it was actually *perfect* - if I wanted to lose my husband at sea. Thankfully, I don't. No way Mr. Clumsy would be able to hold onto that thing barreling through the water.

I may go for the tube/snorkel/bike package, because even if we don't use it, it's like under $20 per person. At least the option will be there. But honestly, we're not going to roll off the ship at 8AM. It's probably more like 11AM. Give us the beach without children, the drinks without children, and the lunch with or without children, and get us back on board for Mr. Clumsy's nap and a shower before dinner.

Last edited:

erstwo

I'm late to the party, but as a Platinum Disney cruiser....

You are guaranteed AT LEAST a Navigators Verandah (the very cool port hole verandah)...(sorry for yelling, I couldn't figure out underlining). Basically, you might get a better class of stareroom. No way to tell until you check in. 🤞that you'll get an upgrade.

Not only will a twenty not work, bringing it up with the person who checks them in won't either. Staterooms.are assigned before sail date.
Can we all call ahead and request an upgrade for them??? Does DCL take into account the popular opinion of who deserves and upgrade? 🤔🧐😁

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Day 2 - At Sea
12:10 Remy brunch
Remy brunch is the best thing ever. And you're doing the champagne pairing, which is (IMO) the best value for money on board, so you're maximizing the experience.
Day 3 - Nassau, Bahamas (we decided, as of now, to stay onboard rather than explore Nassau.
Good decision.

I went to Nassau on spring break my freshman year of college. Got my purse snatched. Native New Yorker, and nothing like that ever happened to me here. I never get off the ship at Nassau.
There is a champagne bar on board (!) near the restaurant (I think) so we may either begin or end there with a celebratory toast (although those wine pairing dinners can get you, so we have to be careful.)
I see you're sailing on the Disney Dream. The champagne bar, Pink, is on Deck 4, which is nowhere near the restaurants on Deck 13, but is an easy ride on the aft elevators. 😊 In between Palo and Remy is a bar called Meridian, and it is one of my favorite spaces on that ship. Its tied with Skyline. I know you'll check them both out.

Did you know there are 12 bars on the Dream? 😀

Last edited:

cgersic

Oh. My. Goodness!!! For so many reasons!! Kylie is 14?! Seems like yesterday she was a little pup. Your first cruise? For your anniversary? With 12 bars???
What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society
Kidding aside, I've followed you on here for many years and just can't wait to see what a brilliant time you two have on your first cruise. Congratulations to Brian for pushing on and kudos to you for the support that you are for him. Can't wait for this report!

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I'm sure you already did this and I missed it but make sure the crew knows you two are celebrating an anniversary. On my Magic cruise in 2018, I put down I was celebrating my birthday. The day of, I woke up to find a personalized birthday card outside the door with a $50 gift card to the spa! So not only did I turn 26 in Key West, I got to end the cruise with a nice massage that was not part of the plans. Not saying that will happen for y'all but doesn't hurt to "Dream" ;)

For Castaway Cay, I would try to be off the ship early enough to grab a spot at the adult beach. It can fill up pretty quickly, especially if it's a gorgeous day. Plus you get a personal server to bring you drinks, can't go wrong with that! And the lunch they serve is pretty good as well. Even if you only stay for an hour or two, it's such a great experience. We did the snorkeling experience which was a lot of fun but, since I couldn't wear my glasses under the goggles, I didn't see quite as much as I wanted.

lostpro9het

Day 3 - Nassau, Bahamas (we decided, as of now, to stay onboard rather than explore Nassau. The Bahamas is a notoriously anti-gay place, and we figured it would be a good time to explore the less crowded ship, and things like the Aquaduck water coaster (which apparently has a long line most of the time.)

Wise! IF, we get off in Nassau its only to sprint to Pirate’s Republic Brewing for a few pints before sprinting back. Its a very short walk from the pier.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Once again, all the welcomes to all the peeps, and thanks for so much actionable advice! (Jotting down notes.)

Speaking of jotting down notes, I've selected the sofa in a back room we never use to place everything I learn/think of/remember to bring - because I know I won't remember when it comes time to pack. (So far it's just some BOGO swim shoes for each of us and some BOGO Dramamine - medium strength - from Walgreens the other day.) As it gets closer, I'll start piling clothes up back there. Hmm...I can probably do socks right now :hilarious: .

Speaking of Dramamine...should we rehash that whole thing? I've been reading so much, everyone has different experiences and different things that work. We've never been on a ship this size. I thought they were much less prone to seasickness (in calmer waters) than say, a small fishing boat where someone other than myself got sick in the Keys as I battled to reel in something that was probably just my hook stuck under a rock. (So butch! Almost.)

The three different versions of Dramamine have zero in common other than the name. The strongest (and drowsiest) is one medication, the "less drowsy" is a completely different ingredient, and the "ginger" version is literally just ginger. Being a Virgo, I bought the middle one for both of us. (Mine is chewable because I'm an 8 year old and will be more likely to take it that way.) From what I'm reading, it may be best to start 1-2 days before the cruise, and take it at night to avoid daytime drowsiness/alcohol conflicts. (But then does it work during the day?) P.S. I have fresh baby ginger chews from Publix(?)

What drives me nuts is we might not even need it at all, but I hear if you find out you do need it, it's kind of too late and will take some time to work (except for Sea Bands, which seem like Voodoo, but we're getting those too. Cover all the bases.)

I have never gotten sick on a boat, he has. I get sick on Star Tours, though. (Do not do. Do not try.)

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Can we all call ahead and request an upgrade for them??? Does DCL take into account the popular opinion of who deserves and upgrade? 🤔🧐😁

You might be on hold for 8.5 hours. ;)

I went to Nassau on spring break my freshman year of college. Got my purse snatched. Native New Yorker, and nothing like that ever happened to me here. I never get off the ship at Nassau.

Eff Nassau!

I'm sure you already did this and I missed it but make sure the crew knows you two are celebrating an anniversary.

I mean, I told the travel agent. I don't know if they just check a box for "anniversary" vs. "milestone anniversary" vs. "milestone anniversary of the first gay couple to get married in a certain county in NJ with a license number of 00001. 🤣 In all seriousness, I don't like to ask for anything, and I don't expect anything. I would love a little surprise, don't get me wrong, but that would have to happen naturally. (That said, we will be tipping heaaavily. Yes, you can tip on points, too!)

I am looking at getting some kind of personalized tees made up for day one(?) similar to what we did for our 10 year. (Better get on that before it's too late.) Also thought about door magnets...I hate to go there, but in the current climate, thought about drama if we put what would appear as "gay Chip and Dale" on the door and anyone dared touch it or comment on it in a certain tone.

For Castaway Cay, I would try to be off the ship early enough to grab a spot at the adult beach. It can fill up pretty quickly, especially if it's a gorgeous day.

Noted.

Plus you get a personal server to bring you drinks,

Noted in bold!

IF, we get off in Nassau its only to sprint to Pirate’s Republic Brewing for a few pints before sprinting back. Its a very short walk from the pier.

If anyone talks us into walking the plank that day, that sounds like a solid option. Of course, Brian would have to find me first, wherever the banana ice cream is.

Now, if they put some banana ice cream at the gym...

Now, if they put some banana ice cream into an alcoholic milkshake...:oops:

Wicked Sisters

In the Parks
No
I just wanted to congratulate Brian on his perseverance and hard work in fulfilling his dream of working in healthcare. I retired a couple of years ago after 41 years in the NHS mainly in the children‘s department. It was such an enjoyable career and I wish Brian all the best.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
In regards to the Dramamine my husband gets motion sick and often takes it for rides at Disney. He is a bigger guy and has found that if I takes half of a pill it works fine but it can leave him feeling a little sleepy and irritable sometimes, especially if he drinks some alcohol. He used to take a whole pill and it left him even more sleepy and irritable. He says he can't imagine that someone smaller than him would need a whole pill, but that is just his thoughts on it. That being said he has only taken Dramamine once on our cruises and that was the first day we ever sailed on a cruise but that night he said he couldn't even feel the ship moving at all and has never taken it again even when things got a bit rough one time. So with that in mind you might want to test it before you go and see how you feel and if you need to take a whole pill or not. Maybe you'll decide just to have it on hand if you need it. That's my two cents, feel free to take it or leave it.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Many folks tend to tolerate Dramamine Less Drowsy or Bonine (generic name: meclizine) better than regular Dramamine (generic name: dimenhydrinate)

Both can enhance the effects of alcohol (not in a good way😬) so I would recommend being cautious about mixing motion sickness pills and 🍸 especially before knowing how your body tolerates the medicine.

Your PCP and/or pharmacist would be good resources to see if there’s a particularly good choice for based on medical/medication history.

PacNWTigger

Best dogs ever.jpg

Sending excited well wishes for your anniversary trip from the three of us. I can't believe that Kylie is going on 14!! I will be curious to hear how the whole dramamine thing works out...I generally take the ginger one when travelling, and am still able to enjoy a glass of wine (or two...or three) without any ill effects. I'm looking forward to all of the pics!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom