Trip Report 2 Broke Guys - on a boat! šŸ˜ƒ

Been debating when to post this. Some of you are already aware of our upcoming trip. (First cruise ever!) What came in the mail today inspired me to get started on this pre-TR:

F8C933C4-6FC5-4195-B364-6761D0165C15.jpeg

My very first passport.

Note there is only one. Currently we are joking that Iā€™m going alone because Brianā€™s got rejected. šŸ˜†šŸ¤” Iā€™m sure his will arrive Monday. šŸ¤”

When: September 5 to 9, 2022. Translation:
34D29465-D9FC-405E-80F6-56B8AAF3E95D.jpeg

Who are going: Tony & Brian
146AEA94-9CDA-48DF-9AD0-237D6B5E63E0.jpeg

Who is left out: Kylie, our nearly 14 year old German Shepherd Chow-Chow rescue.
3518D349-FE2F-4AC5-B4AD-E59E82779DC1.jpeg

Although sheā€™s having a bath on the back patio right now, the pic of her is from a recent drive to the Florida Keys. We pretty much bring her on all trips now, including WDW. As she has aged, she doesnā€™t take being left alone as well, even with a trusted sitter. Even for one night.

So although we are very concerned about her, weā€™re trying to arrange multiple people visiting the house more often than just the sitter would, and offering the sitter extra money for more quality time. (Guilt money, for sure.)

And that will likely be the biggest out of pocket expense for this trip (except maybe the passports) because, true to form, we are doing this 4 night Bahamas cruise out of Miami (including all drinks, fancy meals, liquor tastings and souvenirs) entirely on Chase Disney Visa Rewards Points. šŸ˜€šŸ‘ŠšŸ»šŸ‘šŸ»

Last edited:

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Itā€™s been on ours as wellā€¦I forget how long ago I put the little blurb on my page here about planning our first cruise. The covid pause and then resumption left us perfectly timed for this particular celebration!

Weā€™re also considering it kind of a test/gateway. If all goes well (seasickness, etc.) I could see us planning a longer trip to the Mediterranean for sure.

**All the welcomes to all the peoples!!** Thanks for reading.
I have horrible motion sickness. I never could stomach Dramamine but the last couple of times I've flown or had the misfortune of being a passenger on a road trip, Motion Eaze has worked wonders (see spoiler). All you do is shake the bottle and dab a few drops behind your ears. It has a nice eucalyptus scent that you breathe in that calibrates (for lack of a better word) your body.
71pMvOfrMyL.jpg

Club Cooloholic

The occasion:

Our 15 year wedding anniversary.

Letā€™s see, almost 15 years married, Kylie is almost 14ā€¦yep, the math checks out. šŸ˜‚

Disney has played a huge part in marking our milestones over the years - from our first trip together while dating, to a hefty number of our anniversary celebrations.

One of the best ever was year 4 at the Flying Fish (CafƩ) with wine pairings, which was really the beginning of our appreciation for dining experiences. (The pairings were gifted by a good friend, and we are still friends with our sommelier from that evening.)
View attachment 655141View attachment 655142View attachment 655143View attachment 655144

God, I miss that potato-wrapped snapper.

Another was year 10 at Victoria & Albertā€™s on the eve of a pretty big hurricane that kept us in Orlando for a few extra days. That trip was also all on Chase Disney Visa points.

View attachment 655153View attachment 655154View attachment 655155

How to top that?

How about our first Disney cruise? šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ‘šŸ»
So what I learned from these pics is that you two ended up finding that Florida Fountain of Youth Ponce was looking for all those years ago.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
So what I learned from these pics is that you two ended up finding that Florida Fountain of Youth Ponce was looking for all those years ago.
There are funny things to mess around with regarding our ages. We were both born in 1971, butā€¦

My birthday is 8/31. So I will be 51 on this cruise, but he will still be 50 until early December.

So I was ā€œa year olderā€ when we got married.

I was born before WDW opened. He was born after.

Bonus points: I picked September 8 of 2007 to get married because I knew it would be easy to remember 9-8-7.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
As a sometimes lurker in the Chit Chat thread I want to say that I hope you and Brian have an awesome trip because you both have been through so much these past couple years and you both deserve a fun and relaxing vacation.

Thank you for saying that. We're doing really well, and I didn't even get to post the latest on Chit-Chat yet, but to briefly catch everyone up:

Brian took the opportunity to change his career when COVID happened and enrolled in nursing school. It was supposed to have been an 18 month program, but he failed the final exam of the last class by 2 points. He re-enrolled, took the whole class over again, aced the class, but got the exact same test score again. He transferred to a different school (as many others in the class had done) and as of a couple of days ago passed with an A. (It's not completely over yet, they offer some weeks of prep for the state test, but he'll graduate after the prep time.) The first school was very strange, half the class failed, and we learned they weren't even accredited for nursing. The second school is. Everything happens for a reason, in my book.

In the meantime, he has been working the last few months with a home-health aide, seems to be good relevant experience, and the full-time income is taking some pressure off the household. (Whew!) We are hoping he will be able to sit for the State exam in August, right before the cruise (giving us one more thing to celebrate!)

During all this, we lost Brian's brother a few months back.

I will say this, to his credit, he just keeps on powering through. On the day he got his test results from the first school, he was enrolled in the new school. He took all the tests, midterms and final, in less than two weeks. There is no quit in my guy.

And it kind of brings him full circle because he originally wanted to work in healthcare going all they way back to college.

So things are looking good!

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Thank you for saying that. We're doing really well, and I didn't even get to post the latest on Chit-Chat yet, but to briefly catch everyone up:

Brian took the opportunity to change his career when COVID happened and enrolled in nursing school. It was supposed to have been an 18 month program, but he failed the final exam of the last class by 2 points. He re-enrolled, took the whole class over again, aced the class, but got the exact same test score again. He transferred to a different school (as many others in the class had done) and as of a couple of days ago passed with an A. (It's not completely over yet, they offer some weeks of prep for the state test, but he'll graduate after the prep time.) The first school was very strange, half the class failed, and we learned they weren't even accredited for nursing. The second school is. Everything happens for a reason, in my book.

In the meantime, he has been working the last few months with a home-health aide, seems to be good relevant experience, and the full-time income is taking some pressure off the household. (Whew!) We are hoping he will be able to sit for the State exam in August, right before the cruise (giving us one more thing to celebrate!)

During all this, we lost Brian's brother a few months back.

I will say this, to his credit, he just keeps on powering through. On the day he got his test results from the first school, he was enrolled in the new school. He took all the tests, midterms and final, in less than two weeks. There is no quit in my guy.

And it kind of brings him full circle because he originally wanted to work in healthcare going all they way back to college.

So things are looking good!
You are the embodiment of a positive attitude. You guys deserve this cruise! Sending positive vibes for a stateroom upgrade or some other Disney magic by a CM.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I'm late to the party, but as a Platinum Disney cruiser....

We have a stateroom guarantee for a ā€œnavigatorā€™s verandahā€ room. Theyā€™ll assign us whatever is left as we get closer to departure, from what I understand. It will have a verandah with a partially obstructed view. (Hey, that kind of view worked well for us at Animal Kingdom Lodge, right?)
You are guaranteed AT LEAST a Navigators Verandah (the very cool port hole verandah)...(sorry for yelling, I couldn't figure out underlining). Basically, you might get a better class of stareroom. No way to tell until you check in. šŸ¤žthat you'll get an upgrade.
A twenty won't work here but I would definitely casually bring it up.
Not only will a twenty not work, bringing it up with the person who checks them in won't either. Staterooms.are assigned before sail date.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom