2/16 Spaceship Earth Update

George

Liker of Things
Epcot82Guy said:
I just saw your name addition there Yensid, so sorry for the unnecessary answers. But, for anyone else -

Each was meant to be an abstract emblem.

Imagination was a four-piece vortex in pink. It showed the constant movement of the mind.

Land, Seas - obvious as MouserMerf pointed out.

Energy - again, above.

Motion had a small ball heading through what would be vertical lines showing movement like transportation.

SSE had a similar concept except it was the globe in orange.

Horizons had the graduated lines on the bottom with a wedge to appear as a roadway going off in the distance toward the horizon.

I also agree that I would love logos. I actually knocked together a set of new ones relevant to the pavilions today. It was pretty easy, so Disney could do a bangup job. That would be a neat way to bring the pavilions into the old and new. I would love to see a large broze outline of each in front of each pavilion. It could change out when the pavilion itself changed.

I used to have these puzzles with the emblems/logos of the original EPCOT pavilions along with TLS and Horizons (the kind with a lot of little squares, that have one missing and then you push them around and try and recreate the desired image). We moved about a two months, everything is unpacked and they are gone. My guess is these are not replaceable. *sigh*

wannab@dis

PirateJeffWDW said:
from like 1983 or something.
Yes, and it looks like it too. I just don't understand wanting to go backwards and bring back the logos. :veryconfu They were nice, but they are extremely dated. They LOOK like the 80s and should stay there.

dxwwf3

wannab@dis said:
Yes, and it looks like it too. I just don't understand wanting to go backwards and bring back the logos. :veryconfu They were nice, but they are extremely dated. They LOOK like the 80s and should stay there.

Don't you think it would be pretty cool for Disney to reinvent the logos for the current attractions to be something new and to honor the past? Some people have created Test Track and Mission Space logos on the internet and they look pretty neat. It doesn't have to be a big deal or something ment to last long, but I personally do not see a downside to doing something minor that the fans will get a kick out of and the non-fan guests won't mind.

Now if you are talking about making the old symbols (added with new ones) a big deal now and putting them everywhere, that's a different story. But I don't get the hatred for anything that honors the past while moving forward.

wannab@dis

dxwwf3 said:
Don't you think it would be pretty cool for Disney to reinvent the logos for the current attractions to be something new and to honor the past? Some people have created Test Track and Mission Space logos on the internet and they look pretty neat. It doesn't have to be a big deal or something ment to last long, but I personally do not see a downside to doing something minor that the fans will get a kick out of and the non-fan guests won't mind.

Now if you are talking about making the old symbols (added with new ones) a big deal now and putting them everywhere, that's a different story. But I don't get the hatred for anything that honors the past while moving forward.
But would it really make a difference in the parks? Is that not just wasted money since the ROI would be negligible if any? I dare say that 5 out of a 100 guests at Epcot would understand/recognize the symbols today. I would also guess that most would just wonder why those old looking picture things are there. I understand you would like to 'honor the past' but I kinda think it's more of a memorial. And I personally don't think we need memorials at WDW. :D

Just my opinion, but I think people around here sometimes forget that everyone out there is not a DisGeek that has pictures of logos (or old attractions) on their desktop. ;)

wannab@dis

marni1971 said:
Lets get rid of Leave a Legacy then.

And whilst we`re at it, about that wand... :lol:
I knew someone would say something about LaL. :lol:

I don't believe either of those can be considered memorials... but, eh, I can understand your views on LaL. The wand, I just don't see it. It doesn't have a 'dated' look by no means and, for me, is fairly timeless since it includes the Mouse's hand.

polarboi

I agree that the original logos look dated and that adding them back into the park would only hurt Epcot in the eyes of the average guest.

However...

I do like the idea of coming up with an updated logo system, something fresh and modern, and using it on the park maps and in front of the attractions. What a fun way to honor the old (for those who remember it) while keeping things modern and tying Future World together again.

Because I love Epcot, but if there's anything it needs, it's a sense of a unifying theme for the average guest. People understand what the Magic Kingdom is all about, and the Studios and Animal Kingdom are pretty blatant as well. But ask your average guest what Epcot is all about, and they can't tell you. World Showcase seems self-explanatory, but is Future World about the Future? Is it about Discovery? Or is it just "that place with Soarin' and Test Track and Mission:Space"?

I think a fun unifying theme might liven things up a bit. :)

-p.b.

wired

marni1971 said:
Lets get rid of Leave a Legacy then.

And whilst we`re at it, about that wand... :lol:

Off Topic - But funny.

Over the last several years since LaL was put up, five times I was at Disney with a different GF, and they all wanted to get their "memory" of our relationship engraved. So I went along with that. Now I never really told them about the others... So now I am married (again...eek!) and my current wife calls LaL my wall of women. And would you believe she still wanted to have hers and mine up there.... So 6 tiles with all different women... I think she wanted to do that just because when you search my name they call come up and she wanted her there also.....

Just thought I might share a funny story... So though the wand can go, LaL still holds a little piece of my heart... :p :wave:

wired

dxwwf3

wannab@dis said:
But would it really make a difference in the parks? Is that not just wasted money since the ROI would be negligible if any?

So is taking the time to have a small painting of Toad giving the deed to Owl, the CBJ heads in Pooh at Disneyland, the creation of the Mission to Mars joke in the AE preshow, taking the time to write out "Energy, You Make the World Go 'Round" on the script for the Jeopardy announcer in Ellen's Energy Crisis, and the Horizons symbols in Mission Space.

These don't "make a difference in the parks" to the average guest, but Disney still did spend the time and (small amount of) money to do something for the enjoyment of their fans. Not everything Disney does has to see an immediate return in profit. Sometimes they can do little things like this to make some people's visit that much more magical.

dxwwf3

wannab@dis said:
It doesn't have a 'dated' look by no means and, for me, is fairly timeless since it includes the Mouse's hand.

It does look dated to me honestly. It looks like something from the 70's, especially the "Epcot" font. Oh well :wave:

wannab@dis

dxwwf3 said:
So is taking the time to have a small painting of Toad giving the deed to Owl, the CBJ heads in Pooh at Disneyland, the creation of the Mission to Mars joke in the AE preshow, taking the time to write out "Energy, You Make the World Go 'Round" on the script for the Jeopardy announcer in Ellen's Energy Crisis, and the Horizons symbols in Mission Space.

These don't "make a difference in the parks" to the average guest, but Disney still did spend the time and (small amount of) money to do something for the enjoyment of their fans. Not everything Disney does has to see an immediate return in profit. Sometimes they can do little things like this to make some people's visit that much more magical.
Very valid points.

I guess I was looking at it more from a 'new project' perspective. You know... "hey, let's go make a bunch of new signs using the old logos and add them to the park."

If, as someone else mentioned, they decided to do this and updated the logos with a more modern look, but somehow included a tribute to the old utilitarian feel, then I guess it would be a nice addition. (Utilitarian may not be the best way to describe the old logos, but they did have a 'certain feel' that doesn't strike me as current or modern.)

wannab@dis

dxwwf3 said:
It does look dated to me honestly. It looks like something from the 70's, especially the "Epcot" font. Oh well :wave:
:lol: I swear, we're never going to agree on some things. But, at least, we can disagree without getting upset with each other. That's a positive, right? :lookaroun

dxwwf3

wannab@dis said:
Very valid points.

I guess I was looking at it more from a 'new project' perspective. You know... "hey, let's go make a bunch of new signs using the old logos and add them to the park."

If, as someone else mentioned, they decided to do this and updated the logos with a more modern look, but somehow included a tribute to the old utilitarian feel, then I guess it would be a nice addition. (Utilitarian may not be the best way to describe the old logos, but they did have a 'certain feel' that doesn't strike me as current or modern.)

Wow I got you to somewhat agree with me :eek:

:lol:

I wasn't looking at it from a "new project" perspective at all. Just nice little touches that make make people like us smile and make average guests think that it is just a nice looking symbol that sort of unites FW.

wannab@dis

dxwwf3 said:
Wow I got you to somewhat agree with me :eek:

I wasn't looking at it from a "new project" perspective at all. Just nice little touches that make make people like us smile and make average guests think that it is just a nice looking symbol that sort of unites FW.
Somewhat is key there. ;)

dxwwf3

Hey like I've said before, for the most part, I'm mostly pro-change. POTC changes, The Living Seas with Nemo, Soarin', The Land interior (wasn't always wild about until it actually opened), and the list goes on and on. So right there you definitely won the Land interior :). Even though I'm not wild about Sunshine Seasons, you were right and I was wrong about what happened there in the grand scheme of things.

About all of my problems/complaints come from two places:

1. Disney has done a heck of a job and taking away about half of my top 15 attractions within the past few years. And the '94 New Tomorrowland was my favorite thing Disney had ever created. Body Wars is still technically my favorite Epcot attraction and so on. So while it may seem that I am upset about all change, it really is mostly because of the attractions themselves, not that fact that they are old.

2. As a fan (and not a shareholder) I hate unnecessary change much more than stagnation. Doesn't mean I'm right, but that is sort of my pet peeve. If there is almost no hope for a replacement or a change to be an improvement or at least equal that of which it is replacing, then that really grinds my gears. Now in that department we've had some successes...and some failures.
But since the successes seem to be occurring more often, I'm much more open to change now than I was a few years ago.

Wow when did this post become a marathon? I think you get the point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom