1st Timer looking for Classic Disneyland Things to Do

75disney

QUOTE="Figments Friend, post: 7840737, member: 15152"]Thought I would bump this thread up with some additional thoughts and tips, as it appears a few of us will be there around the same time.
( Waves to @TheOrangeBird01 and @Antaundra )

Only a little more then a week to go!
Are you excited yet...?
:)

For those that don't already know, Monday August 21st is the first day the locally priced Annual Passes become valid for admission again after being blocked out for most of the Summer season.
Southern CA resident and Southen CA Select APs are the less expensive options for locals, and once they become unblocked the crowd levels at the Parks definitely rise.

Lots of people will be coming in to see the new additions, so plan accordingly!
Get your 'Fantasmic!' FPs as soon as you walk in the gate either via MaxPass or the good ol' traditional way with your power walking feet.
I'm told the FP distribution kiosks are now near the entrance to the Mark Twain Riverboat dock.
I've also been told that FPs for both showings of 'F!' are often completely gone by 11am.
So you have been forewarned.

Also, you might want to consider hopping over to DCA on Monday / Tuesday evening to avoid the AP crowds likely coming in for the nighttime shows.
This is actually going to be my plan while I'm out there, as I'll be soaking up Disneyland fully in the days prior to the local CA Resident APs

Thanks for the tips. Just realized last night that our trip dates occur just as the AP block ends. I am expecting larger crowds now. Luckily we have four days in the parks so we should be able to do everything that we want. I might hold off doing Fantasmic until mid-week though. We will need a good game plan and teenagers who wake up so we can do rope drop!
(Had some personal computer issues when writing this post. My apologies to Figment's Friend)

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Hello there 75disney!

Four days will give you plenty of time to do what you would like to do.
I'd focus on the things you really want to experience and the 'must dos' on your own personal list.
During the daytime shouldn't be all that bad ( local AP holders have jobs and school obligations, too! ) but there will probably be a spike in crowds in the evening....at least, that is what I've seen happen during a couple of my experiences.

Whatever happens, have a fantastic time and enjoy the ambiance!

-

SuddenStorm

Find a spot in the hub, preferably when the band is performing somewhere, grab a dessert item, and just sit and enjoy being there. Don't text, don't stress about your next Fastpass, the fact that Indy is broken down, and the 75 minute return time for Matterhorn. Just sit and enjoy being at Disneyland.

While you're waiting for Fantasmic, do the same. NoS/Frontierland/the island/Critter Country are all beautiful at night, and they have excellent music that plays while you wait for the show.

Figments Friend

Yes indeed.

I agree.
As I mentioned in a earlier post, a big part of the Disneyland experience is just enjoying the moments of being IN that environment.
I'm talking about actually taking time out from running between Attractions and stopping to enjoy the carefully constructed themed environment around you.
You shouldn't be running around like that anyway...this is Disneyland, people, not WDW!
;)

They have this thing called a 'bench' at Disneyland.
It's a wonderful thing...and you don't have to get a FastPass for it.
What is even better - they have a 'front porch' at the Palm Parlor on Main Street where you can sit in rocking chairs or a large bench beside the walkway.
It's a marvelous spot to sit and watch the world go by...horse trollys, hurried tourists, balloon sellers, costumed Cast, marching bands, and if you are lucky even a parade!

A Disneyland visit is not about hitting as many Attractions as you can in as short a time as possible.
Visitors really need to try to get that WDW-esque mentality out of their head once stepping through the turnstiles of Uncle Walt's 'Original Park'.
It really shines as an experience when you slow down and savor the environment around you....every little bit of it as it presents itself to you.
Break up your Attraction pursuits with relaxing doses of pure Disneyland - Mark Twain cruise, Main Street vehicles, Sitting on a Bench ( like Walt used to! ).

The most memorable moments usually happen then, when you least expect it.

-

Last edited:

TheOrangeBird01

Original Poster
Does anyone know if you can still trade Vinylmation at D-Street in Downtown Disney? I know Disney World got rid of trading back in 2015, but I'm not sure if Disneyland still does.

Figments Friend

Possibly.
I'm bumping this thread in the hopes a more informed local resident might know for sure.
The 'Vinylmation' trading hobby I haven't since happen personally for a long time.
They are still sold at Disneyland though as I've spotted them as I travel around the properties, so I assume it's still a 'thing'.

For those of you heading out this week to visit DLR - have a fantastic time!

-

TheOrangeBird01

Original Poster
Possibly.
I'm bumping this thread in the hopes a more informed local resident might know for sure.
The 'Vinylmation' trading hobby I haven't since happen personally for a long time.
They are still sold at Disneyland though as I've spotted them as I travel around the properties, so I assume it's still a 'thing'.

For those of you heading out this week to visit DLR - have a fantastic time!

-

Just a couple more days until the parks for me! For today, we're going on a tour of the Walt Disney Studios and I couldn't be more excited.

Californian Elitist

Just a couple more days until the parks for me! For today, we're going on a tour of the Walt Disney Studios and I couldn't be more excited.

WDS has a beautiful campus. I love going up there. If you're not planning to eat at the cafeteria, I recommend checking out Bob's Big Boy. It's an old school diner with lots of charm. It's only a few minutes away from WDS.

jocarol

One last bit of advice -- if there are lines to get through security, try going all the way over to one of the edges, not right through the middle. I spent an hour waiting to get through security waiting in the middle back in June (I got there about 30 minutes before park opening). Meanwhile my teenage son slept late, got up, had breakfast, met his friends, went around the side, and got through before I did.

TheOrangeBird01

Original Poster
Did you save Disney rewards points?!

Yes we did. About ten years of collecting points and we had an experience like no other. I had an amazing time.

And of course of all the places in the world, the Walt Disney Studios is the only place that still trades Vinylmation. Of course I left my traders at home and had to pass up on two D23 exclusive Imagineering vinyls that I've been coveting for forever.

Wah wah.

Oh well. What can you do. I'll post pictures after my trip concludes and maybe make a blog post on it. I'll keep you guys posted!

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Yes we did. About ten years of collecting points and we an experience like no other. I had an amazing time.

And of course of all the places in the world, the Walt Disney Studios is the only place that still trades Vinylmation. Of course I left my traders at home and had to pass up on two D23 exclusive Imagineering vinyls that I've been coveting for forever.

Wah wah.

Oh well. What can you do. I'll post pictures after my trip concludes and maybe make a blog post on it. I'll keep you guys posted!

I'm officially more than half way to our point savings goal of the tour!!! Glad you had a great time!!! Can't wait to see pics!

NormC

Thanks for this thread!
We arrive at the Disneyland Hotel Monday at around noon. It will be my kids first visit and I haven't been since 90, my wife in 87. We are hoping to hit the park and do HM and POTC first. POTC is our traditional first ride when we arrive at WDW. We are planning on being in the parks Monday and Tuesday. Hollywood and a beach on Wednesday. DCA on Thursday with dinner at Carthay for my oldest daughter's birthday followed by World of Color. Friday will be whatever park the kids choose. On the weekend we will still have one day left on our 5 day hoppers so we will decide based on what we didn't get to ride yet or whatever the kids want to do and the other day will be sightseeing and hotel pool. A five day hopper was probably more than we needed but it will allow for lazy days. We do have the MaxPass option as well. Do we all need the phone app for this?

Antaundra

Thanks for this thread!
We arrive at the Disneyland Hotel Monday at around noon. It will be my kids first visit and I haven't been since 90, my wife in 87. We are hoping to hit the park and do HM and POTC first. POTC is our traditional first ride when we arrive at WDW. We are planning on being in the parks Monday and Tuesday. Hollywood and a beach on Wednesday. DCA on Thursday with dinner at Carthay for my oldest daughter's birthday followed by World of Color. Friday will be whatever park the kids choose. On the weekend we will still have one day left on our 5 day hoppers so we will decide based on what we didn't get to ride yet or whatever the kids want to do and the other day will be sightseeing and hotel pool. A five day hopper was probably more than we needed but it will allow for lazy days. We do have the MaxPass option as well. Do we all need the phone app for this?
No you can link all of your tickets to one app and book fastpasses as a group. You also have the option to book separate fast passes for separate tickets all trough one app. It's a good thing you have 5 days the socal APs get unblocked this week so expect massive crowds by mid afternoon. You definitely want to rope drop and get as much done as early as possible.

Figments Friend

Looking for a tasty treat?
Be sure to try the limited edition 'Fantasmic!' blackberry beignets currently being sold at The Mint Julep Bar located in New Orleans Square.
They are deliciously good!

I tried them the other day and they were a nice surprise.
Just be sure to shake the bag first before eating to get the purple sugary goodness all over the treats.

Warning - the purple coloring will turn your lips and fingertips the same color!
Some may find this a fun bonus...others might not.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom