1st Timer looking for Classic Disneyland Things to Do

mickEblu

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely check out the one in Fullerton. I prefer NYC style, but am happy to go for a good Neapolitan. My experience has been kind of like what Jon Stewart said that California pizza was like a focaccia with a salad on top.
Just found this article in Wired about how hard it is to make NYC pizza outside of NYC. I've heard quite a few people, including Robb Alvey at TPR, recommend Scott's Pizza Tours, they seem to hit some of the best places.
Now, where can I find a good bagel in SoCal? ;-)

Lol I can't help you with the bagel. Not sure I've ever had a great one. Haha @ John Stewart No no there are some great pizzas in LA, they re just harder to find.

Thanks for that link. I'll take a look.

Californian Elitist

Lol. Had Andres last night.

I've been going there since I was a little girl. So tasty. Though I admit, I used to love their lasagna, but I had some truly authentic Italian food during my trip to Europe earlier this year, and now Andre's lasagna is not the same. My lasagna dish in Ireland officially ruined it lol. It's not nasty, but it tastes nowhere near as good as the other dish.

mickEblu

I've been going there since I was a little girl. So tasty. Though I admit, I used to love their lasagna, but I had some truly authentic Italian food during my trip to Europe earlier this year, and now Andre's lasagna is not the same. My lasagna dish in Ireland officially ruined it lol. It's not nasty, but it tastes nowhere near as good as the other dish.

Lol ya I like Andres for what it is. My family makes fun of me for it but whatever. I ve actually never been there. My father in law introduced me and buys takeout from there about once every 2-3 months when we eat at dinner at my in laws.

mickEblu

I compare Andres to McDonalds. In that, when I go to McDonald's it's not because I want a good burger but because I want McDonalds. That McDonalds taste. That's how I feel about Andre's. It's like a niche taste that I appreciate once in a while.

Californian Elitist

Lol ya I like Andres for what it is. My family makes fun of me for it but whatever. I ve actually never been there. My father in law introduced me and buys takeout from there about once every 2-3 months when we eat at dinner at my in laws.

Do yourself a favor and go one day. Everyone is so nice, and it's set up like some of the quick service restaurants at DL, cafeteria/buffeteria style. Prices are cheap, tax is already included, and the gelato is delicious.

75disney

Is it a good idea to start with the Fantasyland Dark rides at rope drop and then go over to Space Mountain for a Fastpass and then ride stand by Matterhorn? We'll be doing the extra magic hour for that day if that changes anyone's opinion.
Had the same thought. Figured Peter Pan at rope drop (my teen better be up and moving on time), Alice in Wonderland, then Matterhorn. Since we will be near Tomorrowland, figured Soace Mountain fast pass and start the attractions there next?

Daddyoh

OBO1, What really did it for us when we last visited Disneyland was TOONTOWN, it's under the bridge just past a Small World. It is a walk through village of Mickey's,Minnie's,Donald's, Goofy's and the Chipmunk's houses,you almost can feel yourself being injected into a Disney cartoon. If I would choose a second is Cars Land once again your in the movie, absolutely incredible. Have a good time, I am envious, would LOVE to hear what you think when you return.:D

Rich T

Regarding Pizza: It's not a CA exclusive, but I love Mod Pizza. If you've never been to one, it's exactly like going to Chipotle's except you're telling them what you want on your pizza instead of a burrito. The final product comes out of the oven five minutes later and it's GREAT! :)

Regarding DLR: All of Fantasyland, Pirates of the Caribbean, Indy, Space Mountain and Radiator Springs Racers. Be sure to have at least one meal at Flo's around sunset sitting on the outdoor patio with the view of the ride. Have a great time! :)

Reggie Colorado

Is it a good idea to start with the Fantasyland Dark rides at rope drop and then go over to Space Mountain for a Fastpass and then ride stand by Matterhorn? We'll be doing the extra magic hour for that day if that changes anyone's opinion.

Yes, if you start with Pan, you can knock out most if not all of the FL rides within the extra magic hour and make it to TL before FP distribution becomes available at the park's official opening. (Be aware that not all FL rides will open right at the start of the extra magic hour). Pan, Dumbo, and Alice are the really slow loaders, so they should be the priorities. (You can probably wait to ride Casey Jr., Storybook, and Tea Cups until later in the day.) On your way to the rest of TL, the subs are another glacially slow loader, so you might want to consider knocking them out early (if you plan to ride them). If you go for the Space Mountain FP, try to ride Matterhorn or Star Tours within the first hour of the official opening since they will be nearby.

Figments Friend

I'm sure it's been mentioned already and if it hasn't they should just shut the forum down, but absolutely must do the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough.

Fully agree.
It's a Disneyland exclusive, charming, and the AC is terrific on a warm day.
The diorama scenes are lovely, the medieval atmosphere is quite nice, and you actually get to go up inside of the actual Castle!
What is not to love about it...?

So many Guests pass this by...or just simply don't know about it, but it really is a relaxing experience.

One of my favorite 'secret spots' in the Park is the little room set aside for mobility impaired / handicapped Guests to view a video presentation of the Walkthrough.
Sit on a padded royal throne surrounded by woven tapestries and jeweled treasures in a glass cabinet with dim lighting and air conditioned comfort.
A excellent quiet spot to escape the masses on a busy day!

This room is seperate from the actual Walkthrough entrance, to your left as you face the backside of the Castle while standing in Fanasyland.
:)

-

Figments Friend

Thought I would bump this thread up with some additional thoughts and tips, as it appears a few of us will be there around the same time.
( Waves to @TheOrangeBird01 and @Antaundra )

Only a little more then a week to go!
Are you excited yet...?

For those that don't already know, Monday August 21st is the first day the locally priced Annual Passes become valid for admission again after being blocked out for most of the Summer season.
Southern CA resident and Southen CA Select APs are the less expensive options for locals, and once they become unblocked the crowd levels at the Parks definitely rise.

Lots of people will be coming in to see the new additions, so plan accordingly!
Get your 'Fantasmic!' FPs as soon as you walk in the gate either via MaxPass or the good ol' traditional way with your power walking feet.
I'm told the FP distribution kiosks are now near the entrance to the Mark Twain Riverboat dock.
I've also been told that FPs for both showings of 'F!' are often completely gone by 11am.
So you have been forewarned.

Also, you might want to consider hopping over to DCA on Monday / Tuesday evening to avoid the AP crowds likely coming in for the nighttime shows.
This is actually going to be my plan while I'm out there, as I'll be soaking up Disneyland fully in the days prior to the local CA Resident APs unblocking.

-

TheOrangeBird01

Original Poster
Thought I would bump this thread up with some additional thoughts and tips, as it appears a few of us will be there around the same time.

Are you excited yet...?
-

I'm beyond excited.

Would you recommend getting a World of Color Fastpass on my DCA days? If yes, should I get that before or after trying to ride RSR and M:B?

RMichael21

Are you excited yet...?

For those that don't already know, Monday August 21st is the first day the locally priced Annual Passes become valid for admission again after being blocked out for most of the Summer season.
Southern CA resident and Southen CA Select APs are the less expensive options for locals, and once they become unblocked the crowd levels at the Parks definitely rise.

Lots of people will be coming in to see the new additions, so plan accordingly!
Get your 'Fantasmic!' FPs as soon as you walk in the gate either via MaxPass or the good ol' traditional way with your power walking feet.
I'm told the FP distribution kiosks are now near the entrance to the Mark Twain Riverboat dock.
I've also been told that FPs for both showings of 'F!' are often completely gone by 11am.
So you have been forewarned.

Also, you might want to consider hopping over to DCA on Monday / Tuesday evening to avoid the AP crowds likely coming in for the nighttime shows.
This is actually going to be my plan while I'm out there, as I'll be soaking up Disneyland fully in the days prior to the local CA Resident APs unblocking.

-
I will add onto this, as I was at DLR the first two days these passes became unblocked in June and it was PACKED! Especially the very first day (Sunday, June 25th), DCA was a madhouse. No attraction had under a 30-45 minute wait with the big ticket attractions well over 60-90 minutes. GotG hovered between 90 and 180 minutes all day and RSR never dropped below an hour.

The next day (a Monday) was better crowd wise, but the parks still became very crowded starting at around 11am.

Figments Friend

I'm beyond excited.

Would you recommend getting a World of Color Fastpass on my DCA days? If yes, should I get that before or after trying to ride RSR and M:B?

I would say go for getting your 'Racers' and 'Mission' FPs first.
'World of Color' I wouldn't consider a top priority as FPs for that nightly show don't go as quickly as they do for those other two Attractions.

Glad to hear you are pumped for your upcoming trip.
Disneyland is very special and very different then what you are probably used to.
Savor the excitement!

-

Figments Friend

I will add onto this, as I was at DLR the first two days these passes became unblocked in June and it was PACKED! Especially the very first day (Sunday, June 25th), DCA was a madhouse. No attraction had under a 30-45 minute wait with the big ticket attractions well over 60-90 minutes. GotG hovered between 90 and 180 minutes all day and RSR never dropped below an hour.

The next day (a Monday) was better crowd wise, but the parks still became very crowded starting at around 11am.

Thank you for this.
I'm totally expecting both Parks to be pretty busy on the first two days of unblocked local APs, exspecially come evening.

Of the two, I'd assume Disneyland Park will be the most packed considering the AP holders will want to take in the new railroad sights and see the new version of 'Fantasmic!'.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom