1st Timer looking for Classic Disneyland Things to Do

Antaundra

I've sat at the waters edge with a party of 15 and a party of 12. They just push smaller tables together. Both of those occasions we didn't request sitting next to the water because we knew we were a large party and didn't want to be an inconvenience, but we were sat there regardless. I think they only sit large parties close to the water because they're out of the way and the wait staff can more easily maneuver through the smaller tables.

75disney

I am going to piggy back off of Orange Bird (great avatar by the way) and thank everyone for the tips. We arrive on 8/20 for our first trip back since 1999 and my kids first time. Obviously everything has changed. DL is so different than WDW; you really do need to slow down and appreciate all the little details. Is the Penny Arcade on Main Street? I miss that at WDW.

Phroobar

I am going to piggy back off of Orange Bird (great avatar by the way) and thank everyone for the tips. We arrive on 8/20 for our first trip back since 1999 and my kids first time. Obviously everything has changed. DL is so different than WDW; you really do need to slow down and appreciate all the little details. Is the Penny Arcade on Main Street? I miss that at WDW.
The Penny Arcade is still there. I would suggest going on Casey Jr. and Storybook boats since you don't have them at the MK. Make sure to talk to Shunken Ned over in Adventureland and Aladdin's other lamp. Also get a lot of quarters and pennies for smashing at the machines all over the resort.

thomas998

Make sure you watch the Main Street Electrical Parade... It will be ending August 21 - possibly forever, no one really knows for sure on this one.

Also note if you want to watch the world of color it has two showing on Friday and Saturday and only 1 on the other days... If you want to do it hit the fastpass when the park opens near the Little Mermaid.... after that go get a fastpass for Radiator Springs... People love Radiator Springs but if you can't get a fastpass for it I would personally skip it as it isn't that great unless you are just a huge fan of Cars.

I would also hit make sure you hit the Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain on your first day as I'm not sure when they are scheduled to take those two rides down for the Halloween overlay but it is sometime in mid-August. As for rides you don't want to miss try and add Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin and Finding Nemo Submarines to your list... Yeah the submarine ride is kind of cheesy but its as close as your going to get to the old 20,000 leagues under the sea ride that MK used to have.

mickEblu

Are you staying onsite? If not, then visit DL on the day that they are not doing a magic morning hour for hotel guests and do the same for DCA. On the days you go to DCA I would get RSR or GOTG FPs first thing. At DL get Space FPs followed by Indy. All of the other FPs should be available for most of the day, at least until the late afternoon. I would say ride Matterhorn first then in the morning (since standbyunes have averaged 60 min since they introduced FPs) but that's another ride that's so much better at night. However, With 2 days at DL you could probably do it once in the day and once at night

Oh ya on one of the days you do DCA get WOC FPs first thing so you can get a good viewing section. Unless you are doing a dessert or dining package for WOC.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

For others who will be in town -

The final showing of the 'Main Street Electrical Parade' ( in its current form ) is Sunday, August 20th.

There are two showings that night, with the final 'run' being the later showing of the evening ( 9:30ish but double check in advance! )
This will bring crowds of locals into the Park, but it shouldn't be too crazy as the CA resident only cheaper Annual Passes are blocked that day ( Deluxe and up is valid, however ).

I'll be there...saying 'goodbye'.
Hoping for something special to take place that night for the final showing.

-

Last edited:

TheOrangeBird01

Original Poster
I'm hoping there will be special merchandise for the actual ending on the last couple of nights. I won't be in DL on Sunday but hopefully there will be something for the nights before it.

BrianLo

Don't overlook the Fantasy Faire shows. They are incredibly charming, sort of reminiscent of the Muppet shows in Liberty Square. Incredibly easy to overlook, but worth it.

I think your two best-bet rope drop tips for DL would be Matterhorn TL side and Alice. Both would be quite difficult to do now without FP. All the other big rides have FP nowadays and can surely be secured at some point with that. I would consider Max Pass, with your first FP of the day through the gates Peter Pan.

I really like DCA, obviously you are going to both, but I think you'll find there is much more to it than you are expecting.

Curious Constance

Don't overlook the Fantasy Faire shows. They are incredibly charming, sort of reminiscent of the Muppet shows in Liberty Square. Incredibly easy to overlook, but worth it.

I think your two best-bet rope drop tips for DL would be Matterhorn TL side and Alice. Both would be quite difficult to do now without FP. All the other big rides have FP nowadays and can surely be secured at some point with that. I would consider Max Pass, with your first FP of the day through the gates Peter Pan.

I really like DCA, obviously you are going to both, but I think you'll find there is much more to it than you are expecting.
Peter Pan fastpass?

Is the Penny Arcade on Main Street? I miss that at WDW.

Yes, Penny Arcade is still there. At the front is a fortune telling machine, and directly behind it are six cail-o-scopes where you insert a penny for a short that plays automatically while you look through the viewfinder. In the back of the arcade are two mutoscopes, which for a penny you can use the crank to watch a short "film" cycle through a rolodex-type mechanism. The mutoscope times out pretty quickly so don't dawdle on the crank too long. At the very back of the store is an awesome German Welte-style orchestrion (self-playing orchestra) from 1907. It plays songs at timed intervals. At the side of the arcade you can peek into the bakery and watch the goodies being prepared, while the smells wafts through the area. The theming of the entire shop is beautiful.

75disney

Yes, Penny Arcade is still there. At the front is a fortune telling machine, and directly behind it are six cail-o-scopes where you insert a penny for a short that plays automatically while you look through the viewfinder. In the back of the arcade are two mutoscopes, which for a penny you can use the crank to watch a short "film" cycle through a rolodex-type mechanism. The mutoscope times out pretty quickly so don't dawdle on the crank too long. At the very back of the store is an awesome German Welte-style orchestrion (self-playing orchestra) from 1907. It plays songs at timed intervals. At the side of the arcade you can peek into the bakery and watch the goodies being prepared, while the smells wafts through the area. The theming of the entire shop is beautiful.
Thank you. I am so excited to stop in and let my girls play for a few minutes! Although it may cost me a bit more than a few pennies once we all get a sniff and look at those bakery goodies!

TheOrangeBird01

Original Poster
Is it a good idea to start with the Fantasyland Dark rides at rope drop and then go over to Space Mountain for a Fastpass and then ride stand by Matterhorn? We'll be doing the extra magic hour for that day if that changes anyone's opinion.

Curious Constance

Is it a good idea to start with the Fantasyland Dark rides at rope drop and then go over to Space Mountain for a Fastpass and then ride stand by Matterhorn? We'll be doing the extra magic hour for that day if that changes anyone's opinion.

You might want to start the day with only the busy Fastasyland rides like Alice and Peter and Dumbo if you plan on doing that, then move on to Space FP and Matterhorn before they get too busy.

The other rides in Fantasyland can be ridden most times of the day with a short wait.

Although the first 2-3 hours in the park are generally amazing. You'll see 5 minute waits for Splash Mountain, BTMRR, Pirates, HM, etc. You'll be racing around trying to hit them all before the crowds show up!

shortstop

An important thing to note for Peter Pan... even if you get there at rope drop, it likely won't be an immediate walkon, unless you are near the front of the front. At least this is my experience. Perhaps someone else can confirm/deny.

Curious Constance

An important thing to note for Peter Pan... even if you get there at rope drop, it likely won't be an immediate walkon, unless you are near the front of the front. At least this is my experience. Perhaps someone else can confirm/deny.
True story. All people flock to Peter Pan first thing. I saw a line back out through the castle drawbridge not long after opening!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom