1986 - The House of the Future: Week 2

JokersWild

He also has a YouTube channel with some drawing lessons

He was a really cool guy, very humble and motivating - even if we end up going a different route stylistically, his feedback will definitely be something to learn from given the shorter timeframe, it'll help us organize our thoughts

Please for my sake post these posts to the Imagineering workshop or @Outbound’s Presentation Parade before they’re inevitably buried under 20 pages of brainstorming. Both of your posts are really great resources.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I slept on it - and given the short turnaround the island I think will offer the most for everyone to do.

While there is a backstory to it from @PerGron - might I suggest it not bleed into the land too much ala Pandora? There could be references to colonial greed, mining, etc - but I think that backstory could be like the Wilderness Lodge, where if you look it up, there is so much to that tale, but someone designing Wispering Canyon Cafe doesn't have to abide by it.

That will enable the 14 of us to be a bit more open to creativity, and might continue the flow of content more swiftly.

In a perfect world I wouldn't jump immediately into the Mysterious Island concept, but in order to have time to develop the written content I think it's our best bet.
That is fair. We still have 7 more hours of our extended time frame. So, personally, I think we have plenty of time to visit a few ideas before we move too far ahead.

But the Mysterious Island concept is always a strong concept for Adventurelands and this is enough of a new angle on it to stand out. So, I'm definitely not against it. And like you said, there's enough wiggle room here to do some cool stuff.

spacemt354

Chili's
That is fair. We still have 7 more hours of our extended time frame. So, personally, I think we have plenty of time to visit a few ideas before we move too far ahead.

But the Mysterious Island concept is always a strong concept for Adventurelands and this is enough of a new angle on it to stand out. So, I'm definitely not against it. And like you said, there's enough wiggle room here to do some cool stuff.
What are some of the other options?

(Aside from @pix 's Pacific Northwest - which I'm willing to hear out, but sounds like it'd be best saved for Frontierland)

PerGron

I slept on it - and given the short turnaround the island I think will offer the most for everyone to do.

While there is a backstory to it from @PerGron - might I suggest it not bleed into the land too much ala Pandora? There could be references to colonial greed, mining, etc - but I think that backstory could be like the Wilderness Lodge, where if you look it up, there is so much to that tale, but someone designing Wispering Canyon Cafe doesn't have to abide by it.

That will enable the 14 of us to be a bit more open to creativity, and might continue the flow of content more swiftly.

In a perfect world I wouldn't jump immediately into the Mysterious Island concept, but in order to have time to develop the written content I think it's our best bet.
Should we go with my plan, I’ll let my backstory not be forefront, but I’m keeping my field guide of wildlife.

If @DashHaber or @pix wants to, I’d love to work on the jungle cruise successor with them

spacemt354

Chili's
Actually one thing I'd add - evolving on a theme we set up in Harbortown - the library entrance, perhaps each land could include some form of literature representation.

A spiritual successor to Pirates would be the 1950 Disney film Treasure Island, based on the Robert Louis Stevenson novel. It would be akin to the Swiss Family Treehouse in the Magic Kingdom - a literature reference, but doesn't overwhelm a backstory by any means.

To me Adventurelands (and granted I've only been to 2) are to use my favorite word...eclectic. You can find something new around every corner. I think an original Mysterious Island (Nambe TBD) would facilitate that spirit of adventure while at the same time being different from previous incarnations.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
What are some of the other options?

(Aside from @pix 's Pacific Northwest - which I'm willing to hear out, but sounds like it'd be best saved for Frontierland)

Beyond that one, there was the Asian Adventureland that was proposed. A field of myths that hasn't been explored too much. Plus, could have a good opportunity to blend in Mulan if we wanted an IP. It was suggested, but got lost in the shuffle because at the same time someone pointed out the time crunch. Then a vote was called. Then a vote was called off. And the PG made his pitch and we went all in on that.

Just had another thought, how about something involving China or Japan? The natural landscape there is absolutely beautiful and would make for some really good rides ( fire dragon coaster ).

View attachment 501177
View attachment 501180

With more time that we have now, some of the players who weren't online between 7:30 and 9:30 EST last night might have some ideas. We went from prompt being posted to the concept we're running with in about 2 hours. Now that we have some breathing room and aren't in a panic, some more options are possible to brainstorm. Especially since we have enough figured out about the island that even if more brainstorming just wastes time, we can still pretty easily come back to the idea and do our vague goals for the day. We already have 2 anchor attraction pitches worked out.

But if we do just want to keep going all in on the Island, I'm good with that. We had some good momentum going with it in the hour and a half before the deadline got extended.

DashHaber

Should we go with my plan, I’ll let my backstory not be forefront, but I’m keeping my field guide of wildlife.

If @DashHaber or @pix wants to, I’d love to work on the jungle cruise successor with them
By all means. I'd be up for fleshing out Taonga River Journey with you. Sounds like you've got a knowledge for creatures that would definitely be appreciated.

PerGron

As more expansion of my idea, If we wanted to tie literature into it, we could also tie in the mythology of Atlantis.

Atlantis was on the lost continent of Lemuria, right about where our island is situated geographically. We could have legend that this island was a broken off part of Lemuria that remained (explaining why it’s not a volcanic island) and we could tie in Atlantis (be it the Disney film or just the story in general) if we wanted to. We could have the siren ride tie into Atlantis as thats what we’re looking for

DashHaber

As more expansion of my idea, If we wanted to tie literature into it, we could also tie in the mythology of Atlantis.

Atlantis was on the lost continent of Lemuria, right about where our island is situated geographically. We could have legend that this island was a broken off part of Lemuria that remained (explaining why it’s not a volcanic island) and we could tie in Atlantis (be it the Disney film or just the story in general) if we wanted to. We could have the siren ride tie into Atlantis as thats what we’re looking for
The sirens ride or that E-ticket thrill ride would probably be a good spot to feature Atlantis, if we use it at all.

spacemt354

Chili's
Beyond that one, there was the Asian Adventureland that was proposed. A field of myths that hasn't been explored too much. Plus, could have a good opportunity to blend in Mulan if we wanted an IP. It was suggested, but got lost in the shuffle because at the same time someone pointed out the time crunch. Then a vote was called. Then a vote was called off. And the PG made his pitch and we went all in on that.

With more time that we have now, some of the players who weren't online between 7:30 and 9:30 EST last night might have some ideas. We went from prompt being posted to the concept we're running with in about 2 hours. Now that we have some breathing room and aren't in a panic, some more options are possible to brainstorm. Especially since we have enough figured out about the island that even if more brainstorming just wastes time, we can still pretty easily come back to the idea and do our vague goals for the day. We already have 2 anchor attraction pitches worked out.

But if we do just want to keep going all in on the Island, I'm good with that. We had some good momentum going with it in the hour and a half before the deadline got extended.
I'm good with waiting - I'm good with PerGron's concept - whatever we go with we just have to have it broad enough where everyone can do something.

As much as the deadline extension is appreciated if we don't have a concept by tonight it would essentially be no different time-wise than trying to come up with a concept last night.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
The sirens ride of that E-ticket thrill ride would probably be a good spot to feature Atlantis, if we use it at all.
I was definitely picturing Atlantis as a possibility when I pitched it. But I didn't think the Disney movie would be a good fit, so I didn't mention it to avoid comparisons lol. But a Lemuria and actual myth version could be integrated pretty smoothly. I'm not sure that fits the literature goal that well though. Atlantis is more of its own concept at this point than tied to any distinct book or classic trope.

Actually one thing I'd add - evolving on a theme we set up in Harbortown - the library entrance, perhaps each land could include some form of literature representation.

A spiritual successor to Pirates would be the 1950 Disney film Treasure Island, based on the Robert Louis Stevenson novel. It would be akin to the Swiss Family Treehouse in the Magic Kingdom - a literature reference, but doesn't overwhelm a backstory by any means.

To me Adventurelands (and granted I've only been to 2) are to use my favorite word...eclectic. You can find something new around every corner. I think an original Mysterious Island (Nambe TBD) would facilitate that spirit of adventure while at the same time being different from previous incarnations.

I love the literature tie as a another subtle thing (much like the subtle water connection) to tie the park together. I worry Treasure Island itself might be a bit too European. I'm not sure what cultures we actually did wind up going with as our goal though. It seemed like a few were mentioned. And now with Atlantis we have Greek in here too

PerGron

I was definitely picturing Atlantis as a possibility when I pitched it. But I didn't think the Disney movie would be a good fit, so I didn't mention it to avoid comparisons lol. But a Lemuria and actual myth version could be integrated pretty smoothly. I'm not sure that fits the literature goal that well though. Atlantis is more of its own concept at this point than tied to any distinct book or classic trope.

I love the literature tie as a another subtle thing (much like the subtle water connection) to tie the park together. I worry Treasure Island itself might be a bit too European. I'm not sure what cultures we actually did wind up going with as our goal though. It seemed like a few were mentioned. And now with Atlantis we have Greek in here too
My thoughts with Greek is the Ottomans controlled Greek for quite some time historically (same with Arabia), so it’d make sense that these two cultures could be woven in as an Ottoman settlement pretty well

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
My thoughts with Greek is the Ottomans controlled Greek for quite some time historically (same with Arabia), so it’d make sense that these two cultures could be woven in as an Ottoman settlement pretty well
1601312963028.png

Ottoman architecture for Atlantis could be pretty striking. Blend Under the Sea elements with it. Pearls for the domes (bubbles if we decided more whimsical). Coral or seaweed encrusted towers. Lots of options there.

spacemt354

Chili's
So I had a more nuanced interpretation of Atlantis - I'm not sure if anyone watches Ancient Aliens on the History Channel - I have a fascination with it even if it might be pure sci-fi --- anyway...Atlantis was thought to be the pinnacle of the ancient world with the ability of energy manipulation - I'd run with it in a more sci-fi Adventureland fashion (think an actually good Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
So I had a more nuanced interpretation of Atlantis - I'm not sure if anyone watches Ancient Aliens on the History Channel - I have a fascination with it even if it might be pure sci-fi --- anyway...Atlantis was thought to be the pinnacle of the ancient world with the ability of energy manipulation - I'd run with it in a more sci-fi Adventureland fashion (think an actually good Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)
Oooooohhhh intriguing. I was picturing Atlantis as more just a backdrop for Marc Davis gags between Sirens and Explorers. But that is an interesting possible angle to blend into the backstory and world building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom