1986 - The House of the Future: Week 2

Outbound

This is why an extra day is so useful... because I was interpreting PerGron's pitch as more like this:

1601320788380.png

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
View attachment 501333

Maybe trim away the steampunk. It would only be present in a few attractions and interior, but the exterior would be more traditional "Adventureland" Ottoman architecture.
I like it. Simplify the steampunk to just the bare minimum for ride vehicles.

I also feel like the Maori don't fit in Madagascar (unless that's Maori history/geography I don't know). If we aren't doing a Polynesian island, it might be best not to have them.

Which that would give us the much simpler pitch:

"Ottoman Explorers crashed on a mysterious island near Madagascar while searching for Atlantis and now have a settlement."

Have a ride or two and a show on the island. The sub ride searching for Atlantis. And perhaps an extra ride or small area "under water" where guests can walk around Atlantis like @Mickeynerd17 was suggesting.

The Atlantis idea seems to be exciting people. Shifting a bit more focus to that might not be a bad idea. Assuming we can do it without making the land feel too split.

spacemt354

Chili's
My two cents? Let @PerGron decide the direction. While his vision might not be what others are anticipating, it's the most developed concept we have - and will keep things from getting too confusing.

Using his backstory as a premise - we can then use smaller regions to incorporate other concepts that have been discussed, while still maintaining the central origin story.

spacemt354

Chili's
I'd love to go the Ancient Aliens route for Atlantis - but if it's not fitting the established vision I'd be willing to scrap the concept and tie it in with the Davis Sirens concept if that's what fits better in the land.

Whatever it is though - Wednesday and Thursday are swamped for me - so my main contributions will have to be today and tomorrow.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
My two cents? Let @PerGron decide the direction. While his vision might not be what others are anticipating, it's the most developed concept we have - and will keep things from getting too confusing.

Using his backstory as a premise - we can then use smaller regions to incorporate other concepts that have been discussed, while still maintaining the central origin story.
That's not far off from what we're doing. We're just trying to get a grasp on the story and setting so we can develop ideas for it.

Mickeynerd17

I like it. Simplify the steampunk to just the bare minimum for ride vehicles.

I also feel like the Maori don't fit in Madagascar (unless that's Maori history/geography I don't know). If we aren't doing a Polynesian island, it might be best not to have them.

Which that would give us the much simpler pitch:

"Ottoman Explorers crashed on a mysterious island near Madagascar while searching for Atlantis and now have a settlement."

Have a ride or two and a show on the island. The sub ride searching for Atlantis. And perhaps an extra ride or small area "under water" where guests can walk around Atlantis like @Mickeynerd17 was suggesting.

The Atlantis idea seems to be exciting people. Shifting a bit more focus to that might not be a bad idea. Assuming we can do it without making the land feel too split.
Perfect. I feel this should be the direction we go with.

Whatever we do decide to go with though, it NEEDS to be decided today, or I'll not have enough time to build this.

Outbound

Perfect. I feel this should be the direction we go with.

Whatever we do decide to go with though, it NEEDS to be decided today, or I'll not have enough time to build this.
You have my immense respect for building this in less than 48 hrs. If you can't to focus on writing or only want to focus on an attraction or two, that's perfectly understandable.

spacemt354

Chili's
That's not far off from what we're doing. We're just trying to get a grasp on the story and setting so we can develop ideas for it.
Did he not post the story last night or this morning? I could have sworn I read it somewhere here.

That might be something to find and post to the brainstorming thread @Mickeynerd17 created so it doesn't get lost, and then we can divide up from there.

NateD1226

Did he not post the story last night or this morning? I could have sworn I read it somewhere here.

That might be something to find and post to the brainstorming thread @Mickeynerd17 created so it doesn't get lost, and then we can divide up from there.
Posting it in the other thread as well but here it is

Alright, so I’ve reworked my proposal, just because I really really don’t like two separate disjointed lands, so I’m gonna do my best to not go that route haha.

So I’m much more of a story guy than I am land design, so I’ve taken a bit of @D Hindley and @Outbound concepts and combined them into a general story. I agree, multiple biomes may be a bit much, but I still think having one United land is crucial.

So our story would feature some Arabic merchants sailing to India (or vice versa we could have som Tamil merchants sailing to Arabia) who get marooned on a mysterious island. This island has a bank of fog around it or something that prevents sailors from discovering and charting it. The wildlife here would be incredibly unique, as would the biomes. Rather than multiple disjointed biomes, it would be biomes found on islands within the Indian Ocean. I took a lot of inspiration from Madagascar, having forests of giant trees while huge rock pillars jut out around it.

We could have a population of Maori settlers who already settled the island, bringing some Polynesian influence. They took in our marooned merchants and taught them about the land. About how it was like nowhere else on Earth. The trees grow upside down (they could be like Madagascan Baobab trees) and how the caves underground are rich in jewels and riches. Of course, our merchants want to start harvesting it all, but the settlers say that we are only to take what we need or else the island “punishes you”. That means cut down trees only for shelter and boats, harvest rocks only for building and hunting, kill only what you need.

Over time, more and more people would settle the island and (taking influence from Jules Verne with maybe a bit of a steampunk style) ships and machinery comes to the island. Despite the Settlers warnings, they tear apart the island, harvesting its resources, so the island has punished them. It traps them in time, allowing no technology to develop. Soon, people begin to leave, so when we find it, it is a mostly abandoned village with some people remaining.

We would find the village with old abandoned mining vehicles, marooned steamships, etc. The few people that remain have turned the island into a tourist stop, giving tours of the mysterious jungles and biome of the island, while merchants set up shop, etc. etc.

This concept is a bit different than my first, but it would also keep my story in tact, work in Outbound’s mysterious jungle ideas, and also get to play in a biome that aren’t straightforward jungle/desert while all being unified.

it’d work like Pandora where you don’t need the whole story to grasp what’s going on, but the story will be rich and nuanced for those looking for it.

If this fails, I’ll lay off, but I really don’t want the jungle and desert different lands haha

Mickeynerd17

You have my immense respect for building this in less than 48 hrs. If you can't to focus on writing or only want to focus on an attraction or two, that's perfectly understandable.
That's mainly what I did last time focusing on the castle and hub, but I did get alot of HarborTown too.

This time I'm focusing on the land and the E-ticket, with the E-ticket being of highest priority for my contributions. My biggest dream this competition it to last long enough to build the entire park. Then I can finish it up and publish it as a downloadable map to add to my portfolio. (I'll include everybody as credit😀👍)

We'll see if I make it, but that's the long term goal.

As a note regarding the Atlantis subs, I already have a model of subs to use here:
IMG_20200515_215400_356.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
I'm not exactly sure I understand it either. I find it really confusing. Like I understand the pitch but there seems like so many elements I can't keep track of.
The post here should help

Is there something for an Adventureland that you'd really want to do? The good and bad about Adventureland is you can toss a bunch of themes together and it can still fit under the umbrella of Adventure - so if there's something you want to do I'm sure it can happen.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Posting it in the other thread as well but here it is

Yes. We have that initial story. The only thing really added since then was some refining and possibly Atlantis (originally just as a backdrop for a siren ride which tied into the themes of the land, but possibly as more since people seem to enjoy it).

But there is a lot going on with that story and by my count we have 4 or 5 E-Tickets being discussed. So, we were just discussing ways to refine and simplify. Still the same basic story. Even @PerGron said he was gonna post a more refined version when he had time today.

But if that's not what we want to do and we just want to go all in on the initial pitch and not try to refine or focus it, then we can.

But no one is trying to reinvent anything.

My biggest suggested changes were to cut some Maori influence and tie Atlantis to the backstory instead of them just being merchants. Both things I'm fine not doing.

I know we're tight on time this round, but we still have 4 hours before we even hit the 24 hour mark and we already have multiple possible anchor attractions ib various stages of development and a rough layout and a backstory (that may or not be refined)

spacemt354

Chili's
Yes. We have that initial story. The only thing really added since then was some refining and possibly Atlantis (originally just as a backdrop for a siren ride which tied into the themes of the land, but possibly as more since people seem to enjoy it).

But there is a lot going on with that story and by my count we have 4 or 5 E-Tickets being discussed. So, we were just discussing ways to refine and simplify. Still the same basic story. Even @PerGron said he was gonna post a more refined version when he had time today.

But if that's not what we want to do and we just want to go all in on the initial pitch and not try to refine or focus it, then we can.

But no one is trying to reinvent anything.

My biggest suggested changes were to cut some Maori influence and tie Atlantis to the backstory instead of them just being merchants. Both things I'm fine not doing.

I know we're tight on time this round, but we still have 4 hours before we even hit the 24 hour mark and we already have multiple possible anchor attractions ib various stages of development and a rough layout and a backstory (that may or not be refined)
No reason we can't refine it - but I didn't remember the story and I'm sure I wasn't the only one because the post was buried in this thread.

Now that it's there in the main thread we all are looking at the same basic premise and can all help refine it

spacemt354

Chili's
Some refining notes:

- I mentioned it this morning, but Adventureland itself doesn't need an overarching story that has to touch everything like a Pandora. The fact that we're including one already puts us a step ahead of most Adventurelands, so PerGron can handle it just as long as there's enough room for attraction creativity, which I think there will be.

- In terms of attractions, I saw 4. Atlantis, a Jungle Cruise spin-off, a stunt show, and a 'Consequence' ride. I mentioned a Treasure Island attraction but it got no traction so I'm willing to scrap it, or perhaps transform it into a treasure hunt interactive event throughout the land. 3 E-tickets should be a max, but perhaps the Jungle Cruise spin-off could be a D or C-Ticket, the stunt-show in a different category, so we'd have 2 E-tickets maximum. I think that is decently realistic.

- @D Hindley seems to want the shops @Mickeynerd17 will take minecraft according to posts.

- In terms of the landscape - I think it's too varied at the moment - a good discussion to have would be what background we want, PerGron offered up a few images, as did some others I think on an island (if we're making this an island) then a change in landscape shouldn't be so drastic but easy on the eyes.

- I feel for people such as Nigel, pix, b-wolf, Pufflefan. If you all have anything to add I'd say tonight is the time to say it to ensure you have the opportunity to get to do what you want. Again Adventureland is very malleable so everyone should be able to do what as long as its relatively close to the established backstory to still have it fit under the 'adventure' umbrella.

NateD1226

- In terms of attractions, I saw 4. Atlantis, a Jungle Cruise spin-off, a stunt show, and a 'Consequence' ride. I mentioned a Treasure Island attraction but it got no traction so I'm willing to scrap it, or perhaps transform it into a treasure hunt interactive event throughout the land. 3 E-tickets should be a max, but perhaps the Jungle Cruise spin-off could be a D or C-Ticket, the stunt-show in a different category, so we'd have 2 E-tickets maximum. I think that is decently realistic.
There was also a flat ride idea that was thrown out by Dash and Pi so that can easily balance out the whole attractions list

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Some refining notes:

- I mentioned it this morning, but Adventureland itself doesn't need an overarching story that has to touch everything like a Pandora. The fact that we're including one already puts us a step ahead of most Adventurelands, so PerGron can handle it just as long as there's enough room for attraction creativity, which I think there will be.

- @D Hindley seems to want the shops @Mickeynerd17 will take minecraft according to posts.

- In terms of the landscape - I think it's too varied at the moment - a good discussion to have would be what background we want, PerGron offered up a few images, as did some others I think on an island (if we're making this an island) then a change in landscape shouldn't be so drastic but easy on the eyes.

- I feel for people such as Nigel, pix, b-wolf, Pufflefan. If you all have anything to add I'd say tonight is the time to say it to ensure you have the opportunity to get to do what you want. Again Adventureland is very malleable so everyone should be able to do what as long as its relatively close to the established backstory to still have it fit under the 'adventure' umbrella.
@Mickeynerd17 had thrown out the idea of a second Atlantis based ride (possibly an EMV) that could intersect with the Siren ride. Other than that and Dash's flat ride a while back I think that's all the attractions that have been discussed.

I like the Treasure Island idea and I love the intentional literature tie in. I wasn't sure if it would fit with the themes and environments we already have though. But if we are moving away from the Thunder Mesa style (all the attractions tie into one common backstory) we were talking about wanting yesterday and opening up to a more eclectic Adventureland (which I think is the direction we're drifting more towards) that would be a cool inclusion.

@Mickeynerd17. I'm gonna message you in a bit and set up a Team Sirens/Atlantis chat. So we can start getting some specifics. If anyone else wants to join, let me know! We'll make sure to update here regularly to stay connected

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom