1986: An Imagineering Competition - Hub Thread

TheOriginalTiki

We haven't even posted yet...
Yea, that's my bad. I was formatting the post so I could easily drop it while in the middle of recording a podcast but accidently hit "post reply". Was going to delete it right away but you saw it pretty much immediately haha. Might as well just keep it up at this point since the cat's out of the bag. By all means, don't feel rushed to post the project.

Outbound

Yea, that's my bad. I was formatting the post so I could easily drop it while in the middle of recording a podcast but accidently hit "post reply". Was going to delete it right away but you saw it pretty much immediately haha. Might as well just keep it up at this point since the cat's out of the bag. By all means, don't feel rushed to post the project.
oh lol I understand. That pesky CTRL+Enter... 🤣

DashHaber

Final Power of Veto Competition: The Bluth Philosophy
View attachment 516839

Welcome to your FINAL Veto project. This will be one of the single most important challenges to win of the entire season. If Head of Household @PerGron wins, they'll name one of the other houseguests to cast the sole vote between the other two left in the final four for who to eliminate. If anyone besides PerGron wins they'll automatically vote between the two non-HoH houseguests for eviction. The stakes have never been higher.

For this project, you will take Don Bluth's philosophy of being able to push kids to the extreme as long as there's a happy ending on the other side and apply that to three different scare mazes within the Blue Sky resort. These could be spread within the two parks or all in the same park...the only requirement is that each of them must be in a different land.

What were specifically looking for ISN'T an extreme Haunted house in the style of Halloween Horror Nights or even the hell-ish Hong Kong Disneyland maze. These mazes should emphasize being family friendly, but at the same time contain enough thrills and chills to keep families without children coming back. Essentially were looking to create family friendly PG-13 mazes that still have a bit of an edge to them.

Good luck houseguests. This project is due SUNDAY, December 6th at 3PM Eastern/NOON Pacific.​
Oh, now this will definitely be an interesting Veto round!

AceAstro

Final Power of Veto Competition: The Bluth Philosophy

What were specifically looking for ISN'T an extreme Haunted house in the style of Halloween Horror Nights or even the hell-ish Hong Kong Disneyland maze. These mazes should emphasize being family friendly, but at the same time contain enough thrills and chills to keep families without children coming back. Essentially were looking to create family friendly PG-13 mazes that still have a bit of an edge to them.​
With two examples of what not to do, do you have an example of what we should aim for (so that we aren't too scary or not scary enough)?

PerGron

The House of the Future Proudly Presents:
ZERZURA: THE LOST CITY
Zerura.png

spacemt354

Chili's
Zerzura Review

Off the bat the name reminded me of this mid-2000s classic ;)
Zathura-270x400.jpg

Once again the backstory is a highlight to me - after watching our friend @Pi on my Cake 's recent video - many of the backstories in this season would constitute as 'subtle' but given we are all Disney nerds here I think we're the audience its intended for. I like the tie in at the end to Dr. Erie as well. The map is fantastic and even over this season I've noticed great improvement with this. Was pretty impressed with its format this round.

I love the ride system choice for Arabian Flights using the Donkey Kong tech - would offer some brilliant views and I think would be a nice combo of dark ride and coaster like intended. At this point I will admit I'm kinda done with the whole realism thing since this is blue sky lol - if this was in another situation I may call into question the scale, but for this? I'm not going to worry about it. I am just a big fan of the globe trotting nature of this attraction.

Curse of the King's Tomb was a nice complimentary dark ride with some Indy vibes as well. I like the setup and especially the queue design which would be a highlight! Now onto the Camelmover - reading this at first I thought this was real camels similar to the dog sled train ride @AceAstro tried to pull off in a veto. Needless to say I continued reading and figured out it wasn't lol. I guess a better visual for this would have helped, as I had a hard time picturing it working in my head, but nevertheless an out of the box clever idea. The animal exhibits were once again exceptionally detailed and I especially keep liking the inclusions of the true root names as well as the colloquial ones.

Dining and Retail seem to be secondary in this land, but given there was 4 people and you've been working for now 11 weeks straight, I think that's forgivable. Diving into them the Italian influence is appreciated as that tends to be an overlooked style for restaurants, so appreciate how the menu follows suit. The Turquoise Cafe is another fine addition, not much else to say on it though - it serves its purpose to fill out the land. In terms of retail it feels very Adventurelandy in design but that goes with the territory and the theme, so overall a solid combination here.

Creativity - A
Realism - A
Detail - A
Presentation - A
Teamwork - A
---------------------------
Overall - A....great work everyone! Good luck in the Veto (or Vito if you're Italian)

TheOriginalTiki

With two examples of what not to do, do you have an example of what we should aim for (so that we aren't too scary or not scary enough)?
Well, honestly part of the challenge is that scare mazes usually do go over the top. Disney hasn't dabbled in many of them at all but even they tend to be a little too intense (to the point that I honestly find some of their stuff more thematically disturbing than HHN type stuff haha) so in that respect I really don't have a great example. This project is all about carving out your own unique niche in the scare maze genre.

DashHaber

If it helps, I had a bit of this challenge when I did the Sleepy Hollow Chilling Tour way back in the first round. For me, I put more of a focus on creating a spooky atmosphere rather than scares. When I did get to the actual scares, I tried to design them so they could get a reaction without being too major.

goofyyukyuk

@TheOriginalTiki @JokersWild @mickeyfan5534 @goofyyukyuk just wondering when we can expect reviews for Yùn Chèng and Zerzura? I’m curious what y’all thought and I know you mentioned a pre-recorded podcast for them but I was just wondering when we could expect to get those reviews
The plan is to do the big podcast at the end of the competition but before the winner is announced I think? I’m not positive on that... I haven’t had any time to write reviews bc of school and finals, but I love love love the projects you all have done and I can’t wait to talk about them on the podcast!

JokersWild

@TheOriginalTiki @JokersWild @mickeyfan5534 @goofyyukyuk just wondering when we can expect reviews for Yùn Chèng and Zerzura? I’m curious what y’all thought and I know you mentioned a pre-recorded podcast for them but I was just wondering when we could expect to get those reviews
My plan is to write reviews for both tonight. Normally I’d wait until the podcast, but I feel bad that we weren’t able to talk much about your land last week.

DashHaber

Now, coming to the Blue Sky Disney Resort is a trio of scare mazes. Making Christmas!, Visions of War, and Forgotten Future bring new thrills and chills to guests, as part of a brand-new seasonal Halloween celebration: Jack Skellington's Nights of Frights!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom