1986: An Imagineering Competition - Hub Thread

NigelChanning

I think the use of Comic Sans really pulls this one together!
4B1EFEE1-6DE9-4C30-9621-5983FC08C7BF.gif

DashHaber

Coming soon to theaters, based on the beloved attraction at Blue Sky Disneyland, is Disney’s latest adventure film…

Sirens of Atlantis

Plot Synopsis:
In 1910s Boston, Jake Malone dreams of traveling across the seas. He is enchanted by the potential in exploring the wide blue ocean, even despite his parents (who insist he stay home and follow the family business ever since his uncle was lost at sea) and the warnings of Ephraim Todd (a seasoned sailor who had survived a terrible wreck, with him claiming that it was caused by sea monsters). Still, Jake sees his chance when he discovers that an eccentric explorer named Prof. Archibald Harsley is putting together a crew. Prof. Harsley believes that he has found the way to Atlantis, with untold treasures and knowledge awaiting those brave enough to find it. Jake eagerly leaps at the chance to sneak out and join the submersible crew, though Ephraim joins to make sure Jake returns home safely.

Journeying down through the depths, the crew discover the ruins of Atlantis, but are more shocked by another discovery: mermaids! Greeted by a whole collection of mermaids led by Queen Amora, Harsley and his crew (except for Ephraim) give in to temptation and enjoy the bounty of their treasures and beauty. However, one mermaid named Kud’l takes a fancy to Jake and they begin to bond as they learn of each other’s worlds. Falling for this landlubber, Kud’l reveals the truth: Amora is luring the men to be sacrificed to Krakethor, the Devourer of the Depths! Angered by her own city being sunk due to human greed and destruction ages ago, Amora seeks to raise Krakethor from his slumber and bring destruction to the surface world. With this news, it’s up to Jake and Ephraim to get the crew out and stop this legendary monster from waking up and bringing a path of destruction!

Starring cast:
Tom Holland…Jake Malone
Idris Elba…Ephraim Todd
Hugh Grant…Prof. Archibald Harsley
Eva Green…Amora
Aimee Lou Wood…Kud’l

Directed By: Joe Johnston

Written By: Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio

Music By: Michael Giacchino

NigelChanning

The Muppets Take Broadway

E7E14322-C046-4B4E-A56F-61FC3B5C85C3.jpeg

After the opening of Blue Sky Disneyland, one of the standout shows was “The Muppets Present: Hamilton” in Harbor Town U.S.A, which took the beloved tale of America’s beginning by Lin Manuel Miranda and gave it a Muppet spin. All of your favorite songs, moments, and characters get their fair share of classic Muppet hilarity. Disney noticed that the theatrical performance was one of the most popular shows in one of their parks and felt as if the Muppets weren’t exactly ready to retire their Broadway antics.

Coming soon to Disney+ is a brand new series inspired by shows like Glee that takes Muppet shenanigans and blends them with beloved Broadway shows that will leave you laughing, crying, and maybe even dangling on the edge of your seat. With Kermit as director and a star studded cast of colorful characters like Fozzie, Gonzo, and Animal, you never know what might happen!

Plot Synopsis:

After Kermit the Frog accidentally purchases a dirty old theater in Manhattan, it’s up to the rest of the gang to make it worth the money. Each week, the Muppets attempt to re-create a Broadway musical, but not without it’s mishaps. Take a look into the production, off stage drama, and musical numbers that come with each episode!

Every Friday, an episode will release in this 8 episode series that I’m sure will attract families, Broadway fanatics, and Muppet lovers alike! Just try not to pay attention to Statler and Waldorf, who gave each musical 1 star on Trip Advisor. Many episodes even feature a hilarious celebrity appearance!

Episode 1: Show Business

Kermit rallies up the gang in order to pull off their first production: “Wicked”. Kermit takes his place as director, Miss Piggy decides to forgo the script and thinks she’s playing Dorothy Gale, and Rowlf takes the wrong bus and ends up in Long Island, New York where he bumps into Idina Menzel.

Music Numbers: Popular, What is this Feeling?

Episode 2: Lions, Tigers, and Bears

The Muppets attempt to perform the hit musical, “The Lion King”, when, much to Kermit’s dismay, Gonzo brings in a host of Safari animals to get the cast into character as their respective animal roles. Fozzie contemplates moving to the Savannah (until he finds out he belongs in the woods), Uncle Deadly gets into character as Scar (and plots the demise of his co-workers), and Rolf takes the wrong bus and ends up in New Jersey where he meets James Earl Jones.

Music Numbers: Circle of Life, Be Prepared

Episode 3: The Casting Error

During rehearsals for the musical, Annie, Kermit accidentally casts Sweetums in the title role and doesn’t have the heart to tell him that he didn’t get the leading part. Meanwhile, Miss Piggy edges on the brink of insanity after supposedly being cast as an extra. Rolf gets himself stuck at a shelter where he’s temporarily adopted by a wealthy family, much like Annie herself.

15D8718E-D6AE-4B65-80DA-B7C5F3DBEA71.jpeg

Music Numbers: Tomorrow, It’s the Hard Knock Life

Episode 4: Budget Cuts

During the Muppets attempt to perform Newsies, Kermit is informed of a budget cut to the show. Without wanting to alarm everybody, Kermit secretly places some cost cutting measures around the production. Set pieces are replaced by cardboard cutouts, lights are replaced by fireflies, and ticket prices are boosted through the roof.

Music Numbers: Seize the Day, King of New York

Episode 5: Highs and Lows

Kermit and the gang put on a production of In the Heights, except for the fact that Kermit needs to take a sick day. Luckily, Pepe the Shrimp takes his place as the rest of the crew struggles to keep up with his method of operation. Not wanting to bother Kermit, the Muppets try and keep up a happy face during Pepe’s dictator-like control of the show. Meanwhile, Rolf misunderstands a text from Gonzo and ends up in the real Washington Heights, where he gets a pep talk from Lin Manuel Miranda himself.

Music Numbers: In the Heights

Episode 6: State of Review

After a seemingly successful performance of Oklahoma!, a critic accuses the show of being boring. Kermit, in a state of disbelief, takes a field trip to Oklahoma in order to gain more insight on how the show could ever be boring. Except for the fact that they inadvertently travel to exotic Brazil, still thinking it’s the musical’s title location.

Music Numbers: Oklahoma Overture, Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin’

Episode 7: Gary Blotter

Due to licensing issues, the Muppets can no longer perform “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child”. But, due to a suggestion by Fozzie, the Muppets could create their own knock off musical inspired by the famous series. The creative team settles on the name “Gary Blotter and the Doomed Adolescent” as the name for the show. Unfortunately, Joe from Legal tells them that, for legal reasons, Gary Blotter must be an existing book series first. Now, with little time to spare, Kermit writes a book under the alias “K.J Growling” and ends up accomplishing and publishing the novel. Finally, Gary Blotter meets the stage with a bright cast of characters like DumbleDwarf and Gary Blotter: the Boy who did not die.

Music Numbers: Welcome to WogHarts, An Hour and a Half of Whimsical Sound Effects

Episode 8: The Cats Dilemma

The final production done by the Muppets was intended to be Phantom of the Opera, but due to a miscommunication, the Muppets have resorted to performing the hit musical/movie: Cats.

Fozzie hires a host of Muppet cats to fill the studio as they wreak havoc and cause chaos, much to Kermit’s dismay. The Muppet Labs duo take their shot at creating a human/cat hybrid serum for the show in order to sell the idea that the cast members are actually cats. Unfortunately, the final product ends up looking like the CGI mess from the 2019 movie.

8023DA3B-492B-4C4A-B2E9-3A5CC9FA12C0.jpeg

Music Numbers: Macavity: The Mystery Cat

The Muppets Take Broadway is sure to sweep audiences off their feet and leave you laughing for days in this new Disney+ comedy!

Outbound

IT'S A SMALL WORLD
ON DISNEY+

1606585562667.png

Join the Animals of the Worldon a family-friendly journey across nations and cultures. Each nine-minute episode explores a specific nationality's vibrant culture. Perfect bite-sized segments to keep young children entertained.

The show is hosted by the Animals of the World, adapted from Blue Sky Disneyland's Small World: One Song attraction. These represent animals around the world in a cartoony, "stuffed animal" appearance, as imagined by the mind of a child.

IMG_1836-e1544108923341.jpg

The art style adapts Mary Blair's iconic concept art in beautiful 2D animation. Here are the segments --

Introduction (1 Minute)
The It's A Small World song plays with a short introduction to the culture of the day.

Location, Location, Location! (2 Minutes)
Explores the location of his country or culture, including physical geography and cultural / language differences.

Word of the Day! (1 Minute)
Learn a word of the language. Followed by one of the animals doing something silly.

How to Cook! (2 Minutes)
The children teach us how to cook a common snack in that culture. Simple recipes that could easily be made at your home.

Sing and Dance! (2 Minutes)
Learn a common folk-song as the children walk us through step-by-step the song and appreciate dance. After we have learned the steps, we all sing and dance along.

So Long Song (1 Minute)
The Animals of the World, accompanied by the Children of the World, sing a variation of the "So Long Song" in accordance with the culture of the day. They quickly recap everything we learned before saying goodbye.

And that's my project! It's on the shorter side, but for an idea this simple I don't think there's any more to describe.​

goofyyukyuk

Great work everyone! It’s shaping up to be very close in the judging, and we’re hoping to keep the live evictions rolling tonight in our review podcast. As usual, we’ll announce the winner of the veto project tonight, but to keep things moving quickly, could everyone let us know in their diary rooms if they would save someone if they won the veto, and if so, who? See you all tonight!

spacemt354

Chili's
Disney+ Reviews

Dash
A solid entry and nice plot synopsis along with the cast. Not much to say aside from that but I think this type of show would benefit on Disney+ since it could start with a more niche audience before expanded to something more mainstream.

Creativity: 9/10
Realism: 9/10
Detail: 2/5
Total: 20/25

Ace
I love the trailer - that gets high creativity points there, In regards to the show itself, it also seems akin to Atlantis where it can start smaller and work its way up. Unfortunately though there was nothing other than the trailer so the detail can't be much higher.
Creativity: 10/10
Realism: 9/10
Detail: 1/5
Total: 20/25

Nigel
Considering the Muppets show on Disney+ and the propensity of the Muppets to branch out into different genres I'd say this is more than realistic for it to show up on the platform! That said, personally I would have liked to have seen a different direction than Muppets as more of a creative leap given all the content we have to choose from in the park. Still though, this was very well thought out and nicely done and a standout this round!
Creativity: 8/10
Realism: 10/10
Detail: 4/5
Total: 22/25

Outbound
I liked the concept here, it's plausible but at the same time I'm not sure the #1 option out for a Disney+ show. Nevertheless, despite the length, I think this is a solid idea.
Creativity: 9/10
Realism: 8/10
Detail: 2/5
Total: 19/25

PerGron
Despite all the lights on you, holidays and all, this was a masterpiece of creative writing. From working out the storyboard 13 episode season to the cast, to filling out in detail the sequence of the season, I tried to look for elements to take off. Creativity I can't knock, detail I can't touch, realism I really can't alter either because everything is fleshed out and whether or not its a hit will determine its realistic shot of a season 2 and not the realism of this season. Great work.
Creativity: 10/10
Realism: 10/10
Detail: 5/5
Total: 25/25

spacemt354

Chili's
I guess I should give a final statement, huh?

It was a pleasure playing with you all. I had a great time and honestly I didn’t think I’d have to be writing this but, that’s how the game is meant to be played. I wish you all the best and I hope to see y’all the next time SA rolls around!
Like I mentioned on the podcast you're a true imagineer around here! Top 5 finish is nothing to fret about and you've got great spirits. See you in SA!

TheOriginalTiki

Final Power of Veto Competition: The Bluth Philosophy
Pinocchio_Maze_of_Madness.jpg

Welcome to your FINAL Veto project. This will be one of the single most important challenges to win of the entire season. If Head of Household @PerGron wins, they'll name one of the other houseguests to cast the sole vote between the other two left in the final four for who to eliminate. If anyone besides PerGron wins they'll automatically vote between the two non-HoH houseguests for eviction. The stakes have never been higher.

For this project, you will take Don Bluth's philosophy of being able to push kids to the extreme as long as there's a happy ending on the other side and apply that to three different scare mazes within the Blue Sky resort. These could be spread within the two parks or all in the same park...the only requirement is that each of them must be in a different land.

What were specifically looking for ISN'T an extreme Haunted house in the style of Halloween Horror Nights or even the hell-ish Hong Kong Disneyland maze. These mazes should emphasize being family friendly, but at the same time contain enough thrills and chills to keep families without children coming back. Essentially were looking to create family friendly PG-13 mazes that still have a bit of an edge to them.

Good luck houseguests. This project is due SUNDAY, December 6th at 3PM Eastern/NOON Pacific.​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom