1986: An Imagineering Competition - Hub Thread

Mickeynerd17

Jokes on you, because you can’t vote you don’t have to live in agonizing fear for 48 hours while thinking more about Nevada and Pennsylvania than the human body is meant to. Cherish your youth
Jokes on you, I don't have to be a voter to feel the fear and stress happening in the country right now.

ok, that's it, i'm gonna lock myself in my closet with my phone and immerse myself with Epcot. This is too stressful. 🤣

spacemt354

Chili's
Disney's Grand American Resort Review

This prompt took everyone out of the Blue Sky Park and towards what I personally think is one of the best prompt topics in imagineering - the Disney Resorts! I like them because the projects aren't the stereotypical ride or land, you have to present the project from the guest experience best through visuals. So for me the best projects in this category are good on details and artwork, to show the guest experience, and this didn't disappoint.

Starting with the grounds map as well as the overhead shot - wow! I'm pretty sure the 3-dimensional helicopter view of the resort gave Hulk HoH, with his DisneySky thread you can see his artwork on display, but I think for this project especially, right off the bat I'm interested in this project.

Then we get into the map of it and as a resort this is very well laid out. What's more American than being inspired by European architecture? lol The Gatsby vibes to this brings a level of sophistication I don't think American Disney Resorts have had since the early days of the Grand Floridian. The backstory was fantastic as well, I'm Italian and my ancestors came from there so it had a special connection with me.

The Lobby is very impressive as a first impression for the guests on the interior, great way to invite everyone in. I also like the description of the various pool areas as well, I think they compliment each other nicely.

Oh wow I can't wait to stay here-... $800 a night :eek:
maxresdefault.jpg

I can see that, maybe, at peak season - the GF can get into the 800 range. Yet, I just think that resort has more to offer slightly justifying the high price. I would think maybe 600-700 tops for this resort. But my initial reaction was Al from Toy Story so I wanted to keep this reaction for the meme. The rooms themselves and the wings sound very exquisite, definitely something more upscale in terms of detail.

In terms of dining, first stop was Daisy's: "The restaurant is open for dinner only and is the most expensive on-property (e.g. $400/person approximately)." So I guess I won't be dining here with the mountain of student loans. I'll just look at the mahogany through the windows. In all seriousness though, for $400/person, the menu could be better. This is a menu I'd expect from a Citricos not Victoria & Albert's. For that price, next time at least throw in caviar as an appetizer or rack of lamb to sound fancy. Or just look up menus from V&A, or other top restaurants around the country. Golden Flickers was really well written I felt - a great secondary restaurant to compliment Daisy's in the Hollywood Wing. But I think my favorite was the Water Tower Club, eloquently described and great selection on the menu.

In the end, I think this is a very solid deluxe style resort. A bit pricey I still think for the offerings. It seems like you're paying for the budget on the design rather than what it actually offers in terms of restaurants in particular (Grand Floridian for example has 1 fine-dining, 3 table-service, a character table-service, 2 bars, and a quick-service). This resort felt more like the offerings of a Yacht or Beach Club (2 restaurants, 1 lounge) nothing wrong with that I just think in terms of accommodations and pricing it could have been more in synch with each other. But other than that I really loved the theme/story and the artwork, as well as the Water Tower Club.

Creativity: A-
Realism: B+
Detail: A
Presentation: A+
Teamwork: A-
-----------------------
Overall: A-

Mickeynerd17

Disney's Grand American Resort Review

This prompt took everyone out of the Blue Sky Park and towards what I personally think is one of the best prompt topics in imagineering - the Disney Resorts! I like them because the projects aren't the stereotypical ride or land, you have to present the project from the guest experience best through visuals. So for me the best projects in this category are good on details and artwork, to show the guest experience, and this didn't disappoint.

Starting with the grounds map as well as the overhead shot - wow! I'm pretty sure the 3-dimensional helicopter view of the resort gave Hulk HoH, with his DisneySky thread you can see his artwork on display, but I think for this project especially, right off the bat I'm interested in this project.

Then we get into the map of it and as a resort this is very well laid out. What's more American than being inspired by European architecture? lol The Gatsby vibes to this brings a level of sophistication I don't think American Disney Resorts have had since the early days of the Grand Floridian. The backstory was fantastic as well, I'm Italian and my ancestors came from there so it had a special connection with me.

The Lobby is very impressive as a first impression for the guests on the interior, great way to invite everyone in. I also like the description of the various pool areas as well, I think they compliment each other nicely.

Oh wow I can't wait to stay here-... $800 a night :eek:
maxresdefault.jpg

I can see that, maybe, at peak season - the GF can get into the 800 range. Yet, I just think that resort has more to offer slightly justifying the high price. I would think maybe 600-700 tops for this resort. But my initial reaction was Al from Toy Story so I wanted to keep this reaction for the meme. The rooms themselves and the wings sound very exquisite, definitely something more upscale in terms of detail.

In terms of dining, first stop was Daisy's: "The restaurant is open for dinner only and is the most expensive on-property (e.g. $400/person approximately)." So I guess I won't be dining here with the mountain of student loans. I'll just look at the mahogany through the windows. In all seriousness though, for $400/person, the menu could be better. This is a menu I'd expect from a Citricos not Victoria & Albert's. For that price, next time at least throw in caviar as an appetizer or rack of lamb to sound fancy. Or just look up menus from V&A, or other top restaurants around the country. Golden Flickers was really well written I felt - a great secondary restaurant to compliment Daisy's in the Hollywood Wing. But I think my favorite was the Water Tower Club, eloquently described and great selection on the menu.

In the end, I think this is a very solid deluxe style resort. A bit pricey I still think for the offerings. It seems like you're paying for the budget on the design rather than what it actually offers in terms of restaurants in particular (Grand Floridian for example has 1 fine-dining, 3 table-service, a character table-service, 2 bars, and a quick-service). This resort felt more like the offerings of a Yacht or Beach Club (2 restaurants, 1 lounge) nothing wrong with that I just think in terms of accommodations and pricing it could have been more in synch with each other. But other than that I really loved the theme/story and the artwork, as well as the Water Tower Club.

Creativity: A-
Realism: B+
Detail: A
Presentation: A+
Teamwork: A-
-----------------------
Overall: A-
I was trying desperately NOT to copy V&A as much as possible, but I had a hard time finding menu items, and had a time crunch, so rip me.

Also, I wanted to communicate that it wouldn't be stuff you find at the supermarket, but actual quality food.

Last edited:

DashHaber

Manhattan Gala Bar and Ballroom

Restaurant Backstory:
During his time climbing the ranks in New York City, Franklin Keys saw many a lavish party. The excesses of the Jazz Age were in full swing, with plenty of drink and tons of folks cutting a rug and throwing their cares away. It was those parties that really opened his eyes up to what one could do when they had plenty of cash in their pocket and were ready to burn away their cares and woes. Even if a number of those parties were ones where he would take care of some bit of business for his boss, they would forever be burned into his memory.

For the Grand American hotel, Franklin decided that it could use a dream of his own. With this lavish bar, he sought to create the kind of party that had become such a dream and symbol for him.

Restaurant Architecture: Located in the New York Wing, guests can discover the entrance to the Manhattan Gala Bar and Ballroom. Through grand entrance doors framed in an arch, guests find a lobby where they can check in. Hanging over the check-in desk is a portrait of Franklin Keys, holding a glass of champagne and looking forward with a smile as if he were giving us a toast. Once checked in, guests will turn into the main bar room and witness the luxury inside.

the-great-gatsby-novel-quiz-043018.jpg

(Reference for Franklin Keys portrait)

Guests enter a large chamber, all designed with a sleek art deco aesthetic. Green, gold, and white are the dominant colors here. Tables sit all around, with a bar counter that sits off to the right-hand side of the room in front of an impressive wall of liquors. Among the tables is a large dance floor, offering plenty of room to cut a rug when the opportunity arises. There is also a spot for the band, as the Dewdropper Orchestra helps guests dream the night away with their jazz and big band performances. On special occasions, guests may even witness Lars Whirlingirr take roost in front of their piano on the second floor and dash out a mad tune on those 88 keys.

Atlas-interior.jpg

goodman.jpg

tumblr_n2k593Sc6T1qjxnmxo2_500.png

(Inspiration for Lars Whirlingirr)

Food and Beverage: At the Manhattan Gala Bar and Ballroom, guests will find plenty to help whet their whistle. Beer is on tap, along with soda and water as non-alcoholic options. Wine is also available, as is whiskey, spirits, and champagne. Of course, there are plenty of cocktails straight out of the 1920s for a guest to enjoy. For example, one could give a try with the Bee’s Knees (a mix of gin, fresh lemon juice, and honey), the Mary Pickford (white rum with maraschino liqueur, pineapple juice, and grenadine), Ward Eight (rye whiskey, lemon juice, orange juice, and grenadine), or of course the Old Fashioned (whiskey, angostura bitters, a sugar cube, and a twist of lemon).

Bees-Knees-1200x628-email-94cb57d3a84640c9923846445241f112.jpg

(The Bee's Knees)

Mary-Pickford-Finished-4.jpg

(The Mary Pickford)

However, there isn’t just the drinks available. Plenty of finger food and snacks can be found here, as well. As guests enjoy their drinks, they can have themselves a treat to help fill their stomachs, such as lobster canapes, shrimp cocktails, and cheese balls.

1557928675507.jpeg

(Shrimp cocktail)

Special Occasions: The atmosphere of the Manhattan Gala Bar and Ballroom is perfect for a party, and there are certain to be special parties throughout the whole year. For instance, the days around the 4th of July bring the Grand American Blow-Out, with big band covers of classic American marches and red, white, and blue streamers all around. October, meanwhile, brings the Manhattan Monster Ball, a Halloween-themed party with ghoulish treats and Lars Whirlingirr doing his best “Phantom of the Opera” impression. The holidays will bring the New York Winter Wonderland, as jazz renditions of classic Christmas tunes fill the air while drinks like the Hot Toddy or Peppermint Schnapps help bring the Christmas “spirits”. All of that leads up to the New Year’s Event, a grand celebration to the end of the year and the promise of new dreams, complete a ball drop in the ball room!

PeppermintSchnapps-CocktailGlass-5c6b3ccbc9e77c00013b3c49.jpg

(Peppermint Schnapps)

roaring-20s-new-years-eve.jpg

(Visual inspiration of New Year's Event)

No matter the time of year, the Manhattan Gala Bar and Ballroom always has something to celebrate.

Outbound

- THE SANTA MONICA -
- POOLSIDE BAR -

Pier.jpg

Welcome to a whirlwind of color and fun! The Santa Monica is a poolside bar adjacent to the Hollywood Dream Pool adult section. Inspired by the famous pier/amusement park, guests are encouraged to sit back and enjoy their time poolside.

One summer in retirement, Frankie traveled back to Hollywood to visit his sister Bella and her family. During the trip, the family visited the Santa Monica Pier. Upon watching the smiles on the faces of his niece and nephew, Frankie realized he needed to bring some of that charm to his hotel.

1604617537812.png
1604616543582.png

Left: Poolside; Right: Pierside

The Bar itself takes a small footprint, with most of the stools and chairs outside the central bar area. Inside the circular area are paintings of the Santa Monica Pier through the ages. Also present are four TVs broadcasting the latest of sports and directional "surfboard" cutouts telling how many waves one is from certain international cities.

There are two areas of the bar: The Pierside and the Poolside. The Pierside is the larger area, a set-aside area just for the bar. Multicolored stools and tables rest along the wooden pier-flooring and audio-machines mimic the sounds of crashing waves. Near the Pier are a series of rocks: one of these rocks is hollow, and every 30 minutes opens to reveal three animatronic Seagulls, who squawk "Surfin' USA" before the rocks close again.

maxresdefault.jpg

The other half of the circular bar hosts the Poolside. This is adjacent to the adults-only pool. Take a seat at one of the many stools lining the bar or you take your drink anywhere else in the pool.

DaylightSpringBreak5-1024x682.jpg

This is assuming COVID ends lmao

In addition to ordering drinks at the pier or pool, guests are permitted to take their drinks to their lounge chairs around the Hollywood Dreams pool area, though they are not allowed within the children's pool, conveniently located on the far side of the complex.

MENU
Drinks at the bar are named after historically famous boardwalk/pleasure pier attractions. These include but are not limited to:

Leap the Dips

The Cyclone
West Coaster
Blue Streak
Giant Dipper
The Tilt-A-Whirl
The Scrambler

The Insanity

giantdipperbeach.jpg

Overall, the Santa Monica Poolside Bar will add a bit more life to the already-thriving Disney's Grand American! Surfs up!

Last edited:

Mickeynerd17

In the 1986 universe, Horizons never closed and it inspired a young kid to become a scientist and he discovered a vaccine back in April.

In the real world, he was made sick after riding Mission: Space and is now working as a cashier at Winn-Dixie.
If I could go to that 1986 universe right now, I would have left years ago just for Horizons, and would have felt grateful about the vaccine. NGL

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
The Lucky Lounge

image.jpg

In the New York Wing right near where guests enter the lobby is the Lucky Lounge. Taking heavy inspiration from Harlem's iconic Cotton Club (A highlight of the roaring 20s for New York's elite with ties to gangs and mafias that hosted many up and coming celebrities as both performers and customers, making it a perfect fit for all three main themes of the resort), the Lounge will be a mix of a jazz club and a dance hall. For an added bit of Disney charm and to make it more unique rather than just a recreation, there is subtle theming to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. Taking queues from the Enchanted Rose Lounge and it's very subtle "inspired by" theming, this lounge's Oswald influences are small scale enough to not mess with the classy upscale feeling.

This is not simply a bar for a few drinks with friends after a day at the parks, this is an experience that people will come specifically for. This isn't an after thought, this is the main event. Dress clothes are heavily recommended, there is a section of the parking lot near the lobby entrance designated just for the Lounge, and the dance floor is sure to be a highlight.

-Story-

3ebe7b3a54958b2026183b3dd8575608.jpg

The story of the bar is kept simple. It was added to the Grand American by Franklin Key in the late 20s to attract the elites to his hotel. He partnered with multiple people to make this happen. Each represents a different side of the hotel's themes and actors playing the characters can be found on busy nights roaming around and entertaining guests. A gangster who has been strong arming the local cops to avoid prohibition laws (often found by the bar), a newly rich NY stock trader who is funding the operation as an investment (often found by the seating area), and a singing starlet who dreams of making it big but has limited options outside of the Lucky Lounge (due to her race and it being the 20s, but that is more implied rather than stated since this is Disney) (Usually found by the dance floor and sings at least once a night). All three are close friends of Key's and have nothing but good things to say.

Another mysterious benefactor known only as "Os" is often referred to as important to the founding and running of the club, but prefers to stay anonymous due to being a silent film star. Though "Os" has donated some props from his films. Disney fans will realize they are talking about Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, but that is, as mentioned earlier, kept subtle. To people who aren't into cartoons or looking for that, then it works as just a mysterious layer to the backstory.

-The Coat Check-

1604628178696.png

As mentioned earlier, fancy outfits are heavily recommended. If you packed nothing but cargo shorts and T-Shirts you got off Redbubble that have Disney Quotes in Helvetica font across the front, hope is not lost. The Coat Check is one of the luxury shops found in the lobby of the resort right next to the Lucky Lounge entrance. It sells upscale clothing at "affordable" Disney prices.

Not looking to spend $80 on a tie or whatever Disney would charge for a high end ensemble?

You can rent clothes!

These prices are kept as cheap as possible (though with a deposit or credit card on file with fines for stains), that way a night out in the finest of evening wear dancing at the Lucky Lounge can be accessible to almost everyone!

-Oswald References-

the-cotton-club-front.jpg
Vintage-San-Francisco-Wood-Trolley-Car-Night.jpg

The main bar is housed inside a vintage trolley. This is a reference to the classic Oswald short "Trolley Troubles." The vintage desing of it will fit in the very classy, jazz-age, art deco Lounge.

There is a suit of armor near the restrooms. While it is a realistic suit (the type 5 star places tend to have for no apparent reason), it is there as a reference to the classic "Oh, what a Knight" short.

Posters for the circus style extravaganza featured in "Bright Lights" can be found in Lounge with Oswald and Ortensia's signature on it. The poster ignores the anthropomorphic, animated leads in favor of the circus style spectacle.

There are other references spread around as well, but this gives an idea of the type of theming that ties Oswald to the Lucky Lounge.

-The Lounge Area-

the-cotton-club-inside.jpg
796c9732e1e77a5ed02243724a4f539b.jpg

There are plenty of quiet spots to sneak away for people who want a more calm and relaxing evening. Including a lot of comfy booths tucked far enough out of the way to feel private, but not too far that guests can't enjoy the live music.

Aside from the booths and (obviously) seats at the bar, there are also a number of small tables and half couches centered around the dance floor and stage so everyone can get a good view.

-The Dance Floor/Stage-

CottonClub.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

There is a large dance floor that is one of the highlights of the Lucky Lounge! On particularly busy nights, there are even cast members in character as guests from the 20s whose sole job is to get the dance floor moving by dancing with each other and inviting guests to join them.

The live music is another exciting feature that helps make the Lounge a highlight of the 1986 resort. There is a jazz band (Key's Kin), a swing band (The Rabbit's Foot), and an elector-swing band to lend a modern twist (The Empty Sock, Sock Hops). Each night at least one band plays, but on very busy nights like Saturdays all three will rotate. On top of the three bands, local artists are invited to perform. Plus, smaller shows like a tap dance duo and the Original Starlet Character singing. Even more risque stuff like a similar number to the PG-13 Burlesque dance from the Edison can be found here late at night.

All in all, this is more than just a bar, it is an experience. One that stands on its own as something incredible and is a destination unto itself!

D Hulk

enhance

Ink & Paint Club
at Disney's Grand American Resort

The Hollywood Wing of Disney’s Grand American Resort is host to a secret lounge, a highly-themed bar on par with Disney establishments such as Trader Sam’s. Imagine a prohibition nightclub run by cartoon characters! The name and inspiration for Ink & Paint Club comes from Disney’s Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but with some crucial changes (like a different rabbit in the spotlight) it fits the Gatsby-esque new setting quite nicely.

We found this place during our stay almost by accident...just as its designers apparently intended. Ink & Paint Club is supposed to be a secret nightclub, hidden away behind nondescript doors in the Hollywood Wing’s lowest levels. However, between references to it in hotel literature and word-of-mouth no doubt started by cast members and spread to guests, we did learn about this “exclusive” joint. This discovery made the experience all the more special!

There are two “secret” entrances located below grade near the Hollywood Wing’s pool area. An indoors entrance is in the hotel’s basement alcoves. Bookcases slide open in a seemingly dead end passageway. No need to say “Walt sent me,” simply rap on a conspicuous wooden panel. A little eye slot opens to reveal Bongo the Gorilla, who beckoned us enter with a deep, gravely voice.

enhance

This was how we first accessed the Ink & Paint Club. Later on, for fun, we hunted for the rumored outdoors secret entrance, eventually finding it down a flight of stairs near the pool, in a back alleyway alcove. The entrance procedure with Bongo was similar, though this time he acknowledged us as returning guests. Presumably by recognizing the RFIDs in our hotel “Keys-Cards.” A lovely touch!

The club’s interior is set in 1929, over a decade earlier than the film version. The backstory is altered to accommodate this. It’s a small detail, the sort most guests likely wouldn’t notice, but a framed wall letter explained the club’s ownership. This particular Ink & Paint Club is apparently the sister venue to the “original” Hollywood, CA location which just opened up a few years earlier. Oswald the Lucky Rabbit owns this establishment, having bought it out from Mickey Mouse in 1928.

Another mounted letter comes from patron R.K. Maroon, a young “hoofer” in Hollywood looking to make it big in the cartooning industry. He mentions a promising young rabbit star under contract...obviously Roger. Just one of the Club’s fun hints of a larger cartoon universe.

Details throughout suggest that vintage cartoon characters run the place. There are pictures of 1920s black-and-white “toons” hobnobbing with famous period celebrities such as Lilian Gish or Charlie Chaplin. Through doorways with frosted glass windows, we can watch and hear the waitstaff - all “rubber hose” cartoon dogs and such, not that we ever saw them in person. That’s not realistic. Instead, a human waitstaff in tuxes saw to our needs, all wearing “Trainee” tags with cartoon supervisor photos, all justifying away the absence of toons.

enhance

Stylistically, this is an Art Deco nightclub with a chanteuse stage, a sunken seating area, and a curved bar with recessed lighting. Low key big band & jazz music provided ambiance. The stage was typically hidden away behind velvet curtains, but every once in a while - say, when someone ordered the specific right drink - the bartenders would trigger an effect and the stage would open up and a brief cartoon nightclub act would play out. Every time, the assembled guests would cheer in unison! I believe they achieved this stage effect with a sort of Musion screen, like animation projected on see-thru glass.

A few of the acts we saw included Mickey versus Oswald on dueling ukuleles, a cartoon duck (an early version of Donald?) playing a pig’s teeth like xylophones, and even Betty Boop performing a brief, Jazz Age flapper song & dance. Some of the patrons - regulars? - sang along. Yes, here in 1929, Boop enjoys Jessica Rabbit’s sultry role. When questioned, the bartender explained how Disney licensed her image from the remnants of Fleischer Studios. (Every character appeared in era-appropriate black-and-white.) We made a valiant effort to order more drinks and trigger more stage effects, but after a while too much gin did us in and we contented ourselves with watching silent projections of vintage 1920s cartoons on a nearby private film screen.

enhance

But the real standout of Ink & Paint Club, by far, were the beverages!

A few non-alcoholic items were on-hand, including standard fountain drinks, a Shirley Temple, a Roy Rogers, and the Koko Cocoa - named for a rival 1920s cartoon clown whose likeness Disney has licensed for this location.

Over a dozen Specialty Cocktails are the club menu’s centerpiece. The glossy, bound menu listed each drink on its own page, complete with illustrations. All drinks were exceptionally well-prepared, following genuine pre-Prohibition cocktail recipes. Cocktail names paid tribute to early Walt Disney Studios, ranging from the obscure Alice Comedies to Walt himself, with a few references thrown in to other early animation icons.

Specialty Cocktails

Plane Crazy
An Aviation Cocktail with Plymouth Gin, Crème Yvette Violet Liqueur, Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur, and fresh Lemon Juice, served up
$17.50

Trolley Troubles
A Side Car with Hennessy V.S Cognac, Cointreau, fresh Lemon Juice, and Agave Nectar with a Lemon Peel and a Sugar Rim
$16.00

Oswald’s Lucky Martini
Classically prepared with Hendrick's Gin or Double Cross Vodka, Lillet Blanc Dry Vermouth and Gourmet Blue Cheese Truffle Olives served with an Ice Sphere
$17.50

Mickey’s Manhattan
Bulleit Rye Small Batch American Whiskey, Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth, Angostura Bitters, and Luxardo Gourmet Maraschino Cherries served with an Ice Sphere
$17.50

Ortensia’s Daiquiri
Bacardi Superior Rum, Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur, fresh Lime and Grapefruit Juice and Organic Agave Nectar, served up
$15.75

Walt’s Mist
Johnnie Walker Black Label Scotch with a Lemon Peel served over Crushed Ice
$14.50

Iwerks’ Gin and Tonic
Hendrick's Gin and Premium Tonic
$14.50

Roy’s Mojito
Bacardi Superior Rum, Organic Mint, fresh Lime Juice and Organic Agave Nectar topped with locally sourced Purified Sparkling Water served over Crushed Ice
$16.00

Inkwell Sour
Pisco Sour with Pisco Portón, fresh Lime Juice, Organic Agave Nectar, Angostura Bitters, and Egg Whites
$15.50

The Mechanical Cow
Brandy Alexander with Brandy, Dark Crème de Cacao, Cream, and Nutmeg, chilled and served up
$13.25

The Steamboat Willie
Irish Coffee with Jameson Irish Whiskey, hot Coffee and two Sugar Cubes topped with a frothy Cream
$13.50

Clarabelle Cow
B-52 with Grand Marnier, Kahlúa, Baileys Irish Cream, and hot Coffee topped with Whipped Cream
$14.50

Horace Horsecollar
Sparkling Mare with Iron Horse Sparkling Wine, St-Germain Elderflower Liqueur, and Aperol Orange Aperitif
$15.25

Julius the Cat
Ginger Rogers with Plymouth Gin, Luxardo Apricot Liqueur, Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth, and a hint of fresh Lemon Juice, served up
$15.50

The Alice
Derby with Bulleit Bourbon, fresh Grapefruit Juice, and Honey, served up
$14.50

Food consisted of bar-style appetizers. None of them amounted to a meal on their own, but they were still filling and well-made, with a focus on Northeastern American dishes which felt straight out of the Roaring Twenties. We tried the Deviled Eggs (choosing to forego the optional bacon bits) and the Smoked Salmon Sandwiches, which came with creamy artichoke. Both were delicious!

enhance

To round things out, and make this feel like a proper meal, we finished with a dessert. The Kingswell Cheesecake and the Buena Vista Strawberry Shortcake both sounded fantastic, but we instead selected the Laugh-O-Grahams. These were s’mores prepared in a haute cuisine fashion, with Felchlin Semifreddo dark chocolate and toasted homemade marshmallows on honey graham crackers with raspberry sauce.

All in all, Ink & Paint Club transported us not only to the ritzy world of Gilded Age America - the entire Grand American excels at this - but it also transported us into a world where cartoons and people live together. Surely the booze helped! Ink & Paint Club was a ton of fun, a real standout of our stay, and I suspect it will become a favorite passholder haunt for years to come!

NigelChanning

The Underground Bar

Deep in the depths of Chicago, there sits a bar owned by Franklin Keys himself. Back in 1921, he created a bar for his illegal operations, which could only be accessed by him and his “special guests”. This bar was built in an abandoned subway station, in which Keys bought the property. This was one of the most secure and hidden places in all of Chicago and only elite members of the mafia had knowledge of it. Eventually, a mole infiltrated the bar from the inside and acted as a bartender looking for a work in the mafia. The mole quickly alerted the authorities after gaining the trust of some of the local crime bosses visiting the bar. Franklin remained a free man, however, and managed to escape from arrest and flee to Hollywood.
10243C29-6062-4E18-861D-437E3CD05756.jpeg

C43CFF24-2EB4-4B4C-8917-E003C5F36040.jpeg

When he created the world famous Grand American Hotel, he added a replica of the famous bar from his days of illegal happenings in Chicago. Any potential business partners could hang out in the bar hoping to strike a deal with Keys as well as dine in a bar full of atmosphere. This was a constant reminder of his rise to power and a remnant of Franklin’s past.

The bar entrance is located near the Chicago Pool and resembles an old fashion subway station. Guests walk down into the station and find a classy bar that acts as Frankie’s many places of business.

BE7301E9-1BBD-4148-8F3D-E34C6A1E2ACE.jpeg

The parked subway train is where the central bar is located.

084B3D29-29C5-4D5D-8CFA-531147594319.png

Around the train are seats and booths that sit on the platform where guests can marvel at the impressive wall of alcoholic drinks and have a more calm experience.

EB99E8E9-779B-4FD3-BE71-4D2A3175F9B5.jpeg

37F73051-D6BE-4396-8288-AA6B2127A985.jpeg

An assortment of drinks are offered to guests of age who might want to spice up their trip with one of the finest collections of beverages found at a Disney Park hotel. Wine, champagne, spirits, and whiskey are available as well as water and various sodas for those looking for a nonalcoholic beverage.

Every 30 minutes, the bar will gently shake as the sound of a subway train grows near. Once the train passes, the shaking stops and everything can return to normal.

If you’re hoping to strike a deal during your stay at the Grand American, this is the bar for you. If not, expect to catch the next train outta town.

Mickeynerd17

I had to lower the grand Floridian Prices slightly to make them sound realistic lol

enhance

Ink & Paint Club
at Disney's Grand American Resort

The Hollywood Wing of Disney’s Grand American Resort is host to a secret lounge, a highly-themed bar on par with Disney establishments such as Trader Sam’s. Imagine a prohibition nightclub run by cartoon characters! The name and inspiration for Ink & Paint Club comes from Disney’s Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but with some crucial changes (like a different rabbit in the spotlight) it fits the Gatsby-esque new setting quite nicely.

We found this place during our stay almost by accident...just as its designers apparently intended. Ink & Paint Club is supposed to be a secret nightclub, hidden away behind nondescript doors in the Hollywood Wing’s lowest levels. However, between references to it in hotel literature and word-of-mouth no doubt started by cast members and spread to guests, we did learn about this “exclusive” joint. This discovery made the experience all the more special!

There are two “secret” entrances located below grade near the Hollywood Wing’s pool area. An indoors entrance is in the hotel’s basement alcoves. Bookcases slide open in a seemingly dead end passageway. No need to say “Walt sent me,” simply rap on a conspicuous wooden panel. A little eye slot opens to reveal Bongo the Gorilla, who beckoned us enter with a deep, gravely voice.

enhance

This was how we first accessed the Ink & Paint Club. Later on, for fun, we hunted for the rumored outdoors secret entrance, eventually finding it down a flight of stairs near the pool, in a back alleyway alcove. The entrance procedure with Bongo was similar, though this time he acknowledged us as returning guests. Presumably by recognizing the RFIDs in our hotel “Keys-Cards.” A lovely touch!

The club’s interior is set in 1929, over a decade earlier than the film version. The backstory is altered to accommodate this. It’s a small detail, the sort most guests likely wouldn’t notice, but a framed wall letter explained the club’s ownership. This particular Ink & Paint Club is apparently the sister venue to the “original” Hollywood, CA location which just opened up a few years earlier. Oswald the Lucky Rabbit owns this establishment, having bought it out from Mickey Mouse in 1928.

Another mounted letter comes from patron R.K. Maroon, a young “hoofer” in Hollywood looking to make it big in the cartooning industry. He mentions a promising young rabbit star under contract...obviously Roger. Just one of the Club’s fun hints of a larger cartoon universe.

Details throughout suggest that vintage cartoon characters run the place. There are pictures of 1920s black-and-white “toons” hobnobbing with famous period celebrities such as Lilian Gish or Charlie Chaplin. Through doorways with frosted glass windows, we can watch and hear the waitstaff - all “rubber hose” cartoon dogs and such, not that we ever saw them in person. That’s not realistic. Instead, a human waitstaff in tuxes saw to our needs, all wearing “Trainee” tags with cartoon supervisor photos, all justifying away the absence of toons.

enhance

Stylistically, this is an Art Deco nightclub with a chanteuse stage, a sunken seating area, and a curved bar with recessed lighting. Low key big band & jazz music provided ambiance. The stage was typically hidden away behind velvet curtains, but every once in a while - say, when someone ordered the specific right drink - the bartenders would trigger an effect and the stage would open up and a brief cartoon nightclub act would play out. Every time, the assembled guests would cheer in unison! I believe they achieved this stage effect with a sort of Musion screen, like animation projected on see-thru glass.

A few of the acts we saw included Mickey versus Oswald on dueling ukuleles, a cartoon duck (an early version of Donald?) playing a pig’s teeth like xylophones, and even Betty Boop performing a brief, Jazz Age flapper song & dance. Some of the patrons - regulars? - sang along. Yes, here in 1929, Boop enjoys Jessica Rabbit’s sultry role. When questioned, the bartender explained how Disney licensed her image from the remnants of Fleischer Studios. (Every character appeared in era-appropriate black-and-white.) We made a valiant effort to order more drinks and trigger more stage effects, but after a while too much gin did us in and we contented ourselves with watching silent projections of vintage 1920s cartoons on a nearby private film screen.

enhance

But the real standout of Ink & Paint Club, by far, were the beverages!

A few non-alcoholic items were on-hand, including standard fountain drinks, a Shirley Temple, a Roy Rogers, and the Koko Cocoa - named for a rival 1920s cartoon clown whose likeness Disney has licensed for this location.

Over a dozen Specialty Cocktails are the club menu’s centerpiece. The glossy, bound menu listed each drink on its own page, complete with illustrations. All drinks were exceptionally well-prepared, following genuine pre-Prohibition cocktail recipes. Cocktail names paid tribute to early Walt Disney Studios, ranging from the obscure Alice Comedies to Walt himself, with a few references thrown in to other early animation icons.

Food consisted of bar-style appetizers. None of them amounted to a meal on their own, but they were still filling and well-made, with a focus on Northeastern American dishes which felt straight out of the Roaring Twenties. We tried the Deviled Eggs (choosing to forego the optional bacon bits) and the Smoked Salmon Sandwiches, which came with creamy artichoke. Both were delicious!

enhance

To round things out, and make this feel like a proper meal, we finished with a dessert. The Kingswell Cheesecake and the Buena Vista Strawberry Shortcake both sounded fantastic, but we instead selected the Laugh-O-Grahams. These were s’mores prepared in a haute cuisine fashion, with Felchlin Semifreddo dark chocolate and toasted homemade marshmallows on honey graham crackers with raspberry sauce.

All in all, Ink & Paint Club transported us not only to the ritzy world of Gilded Age America - the entire Grand American excels at this - but it also transported us into a world where cartoons and people live together. Surely the booze helped! Ink & Paint Club was a ton of fun, a real standout of our stay, and I suspect it will become a favorite passholder haunt for years to come!

Dang, I honestly want to see this in real life. Very cool!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom