1986: An Imagineering Competition - Hub Thread

PerGron

The Ballroom

C40C8CAD-616E-41F0-9F94-DAE0067BE5FD.jpeg
There are few things that get people as excited as alcohol and dancing, yet in the 1920’s when Frankie Keys established the Grand American, one of those two things was illegal. Due to the 18th amendment to the United States Constitution, the production, sale, and transportation of “intoxicating liquors” was prohibited, meaning that if Frankie was to get away with his bootlegging on such a large scale as a hotel, it was time to exploit a loophole in the law.

According to the 18th amendment, the production, sale, and transportation of alcohol were banned, but what was not prohibited by the amendment was the consumption or gifting of alcohol that was already owned. Many government locations and businesses still had alcohol available for foreign dignitaries and overseas businessmen, and lucky for Frankie, he was good friends with a California state senator.

The senator began funneling different types of alcohol kept on reserve to the Grand American, from wines to whiskeys to amaretto. It began in small quantities so as to not raise alarms, but quickly the demand grew and the senator had to get allies in the senate. Soon, he had recruited all but three senators and representatives to his side, organizing massive exodus of alcohol from government institutions across the state, and soon it spread into Nevada, Arizona, and Oregon. The massive amounts of alcohol illegally smuggled into the hotel’s wine cellar became astronomical, but Keys was able to sway influential lawmakers, police officers, and lawyers to his side using the sweet nectar of the gods.

The ballroom was finished in autumn of 1928 and opened as just that, an elaborate and ornate ballroom. It featured a live orchestra on most nights, with tables for sitting and conversing as well as enjoying a quick bite to eat, but the biggest draw was the “free” alcohol. Keys found a way to cheat the system, claiming the alcohol was already his, and he was merely distributing it to his guests, for free. Instead of charging per drink, The Ballroom charged an extravagant fee of $5 per guest, equivalent to about $75 in today’s money, for a night of dancing, but with this came unlimited drinks (within reason). Many of the upper class guests happily obliged, and Frankie pulled in a lot of money from his new operation, essentially legitimizing his bootlegging.

In the coming years, The Ballroom would be celebrated as an incredibly inventive concept, but also as a creative business venture. However, in December of 1933, the 21st amendment was passed, ending prohibition. Between this and the global recession happening at the time, attendance to The Ballroom plummeted, until finally one day in 1935, a fire broke out in the ballroom. It was able to be contained, but 15 people perished, causing Keys to officially close the area for good.

Nobody is sure when or how The Ballroom reopened as no owner of the hotel ever admits to the location even existing, yet today, The Ballroom booms as it once did in the late 1920s. There is no charge for entry, but the drinks continue flowing, for a fee. Guests who speak around to the staff of the ballroom may even gain an interesting insight onto what led to the mysterious reopening of the space.​

Despite its grim and mysterious backstory, for guests not invested in a story and instead searching for a night of fun, The Ballroom still provides, with antique 1920’s theming all about, including a live orchestra or big band every night of the week. The bar is open and the drinks are flowing, enough to keep every guest happy.

As the name implies, there is a dance floor where guests can partake in every dance they’ve ever wanted to try, from the foxtrot to the tango to the Charleston. There are also plenty of seats for conversing and a small menu featuring hors d’oeuvres. There is also a main bar serving classic bar favorites, hosting the largest selection of liquors in all of Blue Sky Disneyland property, paying homage to the large selection provided to Frankie in his easily days.

Throughout the experience, Eagle-eyed guests who are invested in the story of The Ballroom may be able to pick up on some small details, including a picture of a group of guests who appear to vanish as you walk by, as well as scorch marks on curtains, tables, and walls, revealing the fire that once destroyed the room. Bartenders and other cast members are all specially trained to have individual backstories that are just cryptic enough to raise questions. Some bartenders may use 1920s slang while others may reference President Hoover, etc. If guests press enough, they’ll reveal the tragic story, but only in pieces, meaning guests have to actively seek out the backstory. It makes for a fun addition to the space that isn’t required, but is extra immersion.
5076873C-D0F7-4BDF-879F-1947C90F6521.jpeg

The drink menu is vast and for that reason, there isn’t an official menu. Featuring a full bar, guests can purchase any of their favorite drinks or create their own concoctions. However, there is a specialty menu consisting of a few drinks that are staples of The Ballroom. These drinks switch from time to time, but are mainly made up of the cocktails guests would enjoy during the prohibition era, including the Sidecar, Ward Eight, and Tom Collins.

17564F77-1FBC-4B70-A87F-F0E4E9ECBCFD.jpeg

The Ballroom focuses more on theming than it does drinks or food, lending to a menu that pleases everyone with boundless options. Guests are encouraged to leave the bustling hurry of a Disney Vacation and instead enjoy the jazzy 1920’s era ballroom, wrapped up in fun, mystery, and some unconstitutional crimes

NateD1226

NateD1226's Reviews

Disney's Grand American Resort
  • First off, what amazing concept art! DH, you constantly blow my mind with your art!
  • The exterior description was very detailed, which was nice because how big this hotel is
  • The backstory was awesome. It was simple and informing. The only thing is that you made it optional, but then mentioned Franklin in other parts of the project which can be confusing for people who picked not to read it.
  • The lobby is great! My only nitpick is that I think you should've stayed away from the Disney aspect of it as, in my own opinion, it doesn’t really fit the whole vibe and theme this hotel has.
  • The pools were fun and really have going for them. My only (very small realism) nitpick is that Chicago doesn’t have a ball dropping ceremony!
  • These prices?? Am I reading them right!? These prices are way too high for what you are actually giving in the room.
  • The wings themselves are very well described
  • Daisy’s sounds amazing! Just reading the food made me hungry! Then the pricing. $400 is WAY too much (even for Disney). After reading the menu and knowing the price, the food is not really worth paying $400 for.
  • I really loved Golden Flickers. It was simple and detailed while fitting the area quite nicely.
  • The Water Tower Club is great! It really worked well with the whole style of the Chicago wing
  • Overall, this was a solid project in the context of substance. However, the pricing and realism aspect of it could’ve been a bit better.

Creativity: 5/5
Realism: 3/5
Detail: 4.5/5
Presentation: 5/5
Teamwork: 4/5
Total: 21.5/25

spacemt354

Chili's
Project Veto Reviews

Dash
Your project got this round off to such a great start! I really like the location choice and several of the special events you have planned. The pictures you added also add a certain level of understanding for your menu items. The addition of a ballroom also is very fitting for the time period. You raised the 'bar' -- okay I'll see myself out.

Creativity: 10/10
Realism: 9/10
Detail: 5/5
Total: 24/25

Outbound
Wouldn't be a Project Veto without an Outbound project:rolleyes: While I think this would blend in nicely to the Cali wing, I think it's clear that if you make it through going forward, I think it's fair for you to not have to do another. These aren't easy and doing them constantly can wear you down. Still, I appreciate the effort to get this out.

Creativity: 8/10
Detail: 3/5
Total: 20/25

Pi
I like how this one in particular takes the sophistication of the resort and carries it over into the bar setting. This is something I think fits in nicely with an old fashioned NY style, and blends the culture of 'dressing up' into it as well. As much as I personally would like to see that, I'm not sure if everyone would comply with it, but it would certainly be interesting to see. I also think the decor in this one sets it apart from the rest, as it carries over some Disney flair with an aura of dancing and live music. Sort of what Atlantic Dance Hall could be.

Creativity: 9/10
Total: 23/25

Doug
I think the big stand-out to this is the menu itself - one of the most realistic bar menus I've seen in a project before. And that's not even to say the entertainment factor of this locale within the resort. But that brings me to my, perhaps, biggest concern in that it seems like kids or young adults would enjoy this location as well, but being a bar setting I'm not as sure

Nigel
Wow - I love this! Depending on the locale of this resort, I feel like this took a bit of inspiration behind the early plans for Harbortown with the transit, and built the historical approach into a very unique bar experience! The backstory brilliantly facilitates the atmosphere you've created, and since you're underage - I'm not going to hold any menu items against you. I think you created a place where the drinks will pour themselves, in a setting that truly fits the resort. My only qualm? Since I'm giving a pass on the menu, I could have used more detail elsewhere. You set up something great and maybe with a few extra days could have blossomed.

Realism: 10/10
Detail: 4/5

PerGron
This one was heavy on the backstory, no complaints from me there, but there wasn't much on the actual bar? This felt more like the backstory to the bar than the bar itself. Still nonetheless similar to Dash, I like the inclusion of a ballroom in this and the Shining reference, that type of vibe is something I think would blend in really well to this resort.

Total: 22/25

goofyyukyuk

GOOFY'S VETO REVIEWS!
Dash:
First, great work integrating the bar with the backstory of the hotel as a whole! The entire aesthetic of the bar honestly sounds so appealing to me, and I love the creativity behind the Dewdropper Orchestra and bringing in even more of the story with Lars Whirlingirr. As far as the drinks go, I think you absolutely knocked it out of the park with this! They’re all very fitting with the atmosphere of the bar as a whole! Side note- you won me with cheese balls! For me though, the inclusion of the special occasions really put this over the top. Honestly, this sounds like a place I would love to experience over and over! Absolutely fantastic work, and to be honest, the only nit I have to pick is that the idea seems to be a little obvious if that makes sense? But all in all, great job!

Outbound:

Another great idea for pulling the story into the bar in a completely different way! It sounds like so much fun, which is a huge plus for bars like this, and the Seagulls are a really funny touch! I also like the idea of splitting up the bar into Poolside and Pierside… definitely makes sense in my opinion. The drinks are also great, I really love those names! For me, this is a great idea for a bar, but it falls short on the prompt to deliver a bar on par with some of the great bars of Disney like Trader Sam’s from a story standpoint, so that affected the creativity score and detail score.
Creativity: 7/10
Total: 21/25

Pi:

I have to say that the idea to subtly theme the lounge to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit is a brilliant idea! I think you did a great job creating a solid backstory, and like I said, “Os” just made me smile with how creative it is. I appreciate the inclusion of a coat check considering that this is an upscale place, so that definitely makes it more realistic while maintaining the classiness. The Oswald references are fantastic, especially the bar being housed in a vintage trolly and Oswald and Ortensia’s signatures! The layout of the bar makes sense, and I really liked the inclusion of all the dancing. All in all, fantastic work! I absolutely love the creativity here; I just wish there was more detail about the bar itself, and I wonder how realistic it is, overall, that Disney would require someone to pay for a suit jacket to access a bar if they’re not wearing one. That being said, those are minor nitpicks, and I absolutely love this project!

Hulk:

Much like Pi’s I really appreciate the homage to older Disney films, and I think the Ink and Paint Club is a fantastic setting for a bar! I liked it being written in a perspective of someone visiting the club; it really adds to the theatric effect. The way to enter is hilarious to me; I think that would be such a fun and cool way to enter the club, and the addition of another entrance with Bongo recognizing you as a returning guest is great! The backstory makes sense and is just as creative as Pi’s alternative Oswald project! I love the idea of having frosted glass windows showing the toon waitstaff! Such a nice touch! The stage fits really well, and I absolutely love the idea of having these animated characters performing (although Betty Boop as Jessica Rabbit is kinda scary hahaha). I think the projections of 1920s cartoons is a solid idea. I have no clue if you made this menu graphic yourself… it really looks like you did, and it’s absolutely fantastic! The menu itself is so great, with some fantastic name ideas! All in all, I absolutely adore this project! My only major criticism is that it feels like making the characters so front and center almost takes away from the story of the rest of the hotel. With Pi’s, it was really lowkey, but this obviously has the characters in a way more central role. The only other thing is that it seems like a secret bar on this scale probably wouldn’t be made to be secretive because of the potential loss of money. I still love the project, and these aren’t major nitpicks, so great job!
Realism: 8/10

Nigel:

Great idea setting the bar in an abandoned subway station! I really like the story of a mole exposing this underground mafia bar… definitely very creative! The layout is a cool idea too… like I keep coming back to, this is so so creative! I like the addition of the bar shaking when the “subway passes” too! That being said, I wish that there was more detail here. I like the premise of it a lot, but I feel like more substance of a description of a menu and everything would’ve taken this a long way.
Detail: 3/5
Total: 22/25

PerGron:

I like the explanation of the backstory for the bar, but I feel like the story would be lost on most guests to be honest. It’s also really kinda depressing compared to some of the other backstories hahaha, but it’d definitely creative, and I love that this is so deeply explained! I like that it’s centered around a dance floor, and the menu sounds great, I just wish there was more of an explanation of it, but the cocktails seem really nice! I really like the ways that the story is revealed, and I think that they’re really great touches, but compared to other themed bars, I feel like the story is too hidden. All that being said, I really do appreciate the level of detail you took to make a great backstory!
Realism: 8/10

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom