1902 Carthay Circle

Voxel

President of Progress City
Maybe something more along the lines of this:
8DB01BF7-CDDE-4C0E-8FB2-A6F421D4AEAA.jpeg

D Hulk

Anyone have any ideas for the icon or weenie?
From wiki's list of mythical places:

Axis Mundi, the World Pillar, Cosmic Axis, the Center of the Earth. A concept shared across many ancient civilizations, it's the connection between Earth and Heaven, and a symbol for all of man and nature's earthly accomplishments combined.

Often visualized as a tree, a pillar, tower, mountain, vine, ladder, or in modern times even a DNA strand. The challenge - DAK's Tree of Line is actually a great example of an Axis Mundi.
630a3ccd26924268a39f5c2c2d66c6bf--vortex-chakras.jpg

I'd go with someting like this:
howe-2.gif

but GIANT
To do one of these things constantly changing shape from a vine to a ladder to DNA to a tower - and give it Axis Mundi's mythical/philosophical meaning - ooh wee! :eek:

PerGron

Personally I'm still not sold on Wakanda - it just feels like an unneeded inclusion of a contemporary IP because it's a new cool film...in this park that's being designed (to what can really be an entire park without IPs). However, if I'm in the minority on that there's a template for the land I designed last year here
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...ects-announcements.924471/page-6#post-7788593
3700166503603069477%253Faccount_id%253D9

5663370446115898411%253Faccount_id%253D9

I'm with you. I feel like Wakanda is just jarring when we're focusing on mythology and literature when we select our lost worlds, having one from an action film (yes I know the comics, but we'd be pulling from the film, let's be real) just doesn't fit in my opinion. I think selecting another African lost world would work the best. However, if we DO select Wakanda, I have some ideas that might fit it.

WowFactor

To do one of these things constantly changing shape from a vine to a ladder to DNA to a tower - and give it Axis Mundi's mythical/philosophical meaning - ooh wee

Ooh wee! Indeed.
I thought of kinetic sculpture because of its constant hypnotic change. It gives me a kind of mysterious, organic atmosphere. I imagine this as a part of something bigger (I don't know what yet) surrounded by fog during the day and mystical lights at night

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

Tagging some new folks into the mix for some fresh perspectives

Do you like this general idea for this park's entrance land, or how would you plus it?
@TJJohn12
@David2319
@Brer Oswald
I read through some of the posts just now, and I'm really impressed. The concept is unique, the ideas are really intriguing, and I love that Hong Kong is getting some love:).

Something to look into is how does everything work together. Akin to how the Force binds everything in the Star Wars Universe, theme, story, and sightlines are what's key to look into here. Like a movie, everything should contribute to the story: music, sets, costumes, lighting, character themes & arcs, cinematography, etc. Look at a themepark that way; from the eyes of a storyteller. The entrance is going to set the tone for the entire park. Visually there can be many things to look at in the distance. In Tokyo DisneySea you have a volcano, a cruiseship, and those are just the really big objects. The tiny details count. You also feel like you are in Europe, you see New York, and you can even turn a corner and be in Venice! And for the areas that clash visually with the entrance, they are hidden behind the mountain, and it's like you are stepping into another world. I don't know how long everyone is planning to do this for, but this should be very cool just from what I've skimmed over in a few minutes.

Hong Kong Disneyland Resort's layout is quite odd. If everyone is up to master planning a better resort that would do miles for HKDL.

I wonder if making the new park deep, and nearly touching the ocean would be something worth exploring. Tokyo DisneySea from a sightline/theming perspective is by far the best park in the world and it's a real treat to take it in. The ocean at DisneySea is mesmerizing and contributes further to the realness you feel in the park, and its story, but Hong Kong Disneyland also has mountains. You implement those two things well and you'll have something very special.

The Antartica idea might be something worth surrounding things with like Mysterious Island does. I feel like it might give that vibe off, and a sort of steampunk land could be cool. Nevertheless, extremely original.
For the entrance (sorry for ignoring the question;)) I don't think there's one 'right' answer and honestly I don't know, but something that gives off a feeling of exploration, something that makes you intrigued by what's in store, by what you're stepping foot into. It needs to tie-in with the lands that it shares a sightline with (basically, a volcano, old New York, and Venice work well together), and have smooth transitions if you want to make the park feel stitched together. Which I think the photo below that @WowFactor mentioned really does. Paint the Night has it, the Sochi olympics had it, and I think the park you guys are creating should too:).
I'd go with someting like this:
howe-2.gif

but GIANT
I feel like that's PERFECT for the park's entrance plaza. Like DisneySea's globe.

deere839

how about for the entrance do some sort of interactive game kind of like the pirate game in Magic Kingdom but base it off Indiana Jones and the temple of doom it would be nice to see more indiana jones coming to the Disney parks and this way it would be a cheap and fun thing to do for the guest in the park without waiting in the lines could also be thrown into other lands like finding an artifact in the land and scan your game card you get at the start.

spacemt354

Chili's
I read through some of the posts just now, and I'm really impressed. The concept is unique, the ideas are really intriguing, and I love that Hong Kong is getting some love:).

Something to look into is how does everything work together. Akin to how the Force binds everything in the Star Wars Universe, theme, story, and sightlines are what's key to look into here. Like a movie, everything should contribute to the story: music, sets, costumes, lighting, character themes & arcs, cinematography, etc. Look at a themepark that way; from the eyes of a storyteller. The entrance is going to set the tone for the entire park. Visually there can be many things to look at in the distance. In Tokyo DisneySea you have a volcano, a cruiseship, and those are just the really big objects. The tiny details count. You also feel like you are in Europe, you see New York, and you can even turn a corner and be in Venice! And for the areas that clash visually with the entrance, they are hidden behind the mountain, and it's like you are stepping into another world. I don't know how long everyone is planning to do this for, but this should be very cool just from what I've skimmed over in a few minutes.

Hong Kong Disneyland Resort's layout is quite odd. If everyone is up to master planning a better resort that would do miles for HKDL.

I wonder if making the new park deep, and nearly touching the ocean would be something worth exploring. Tokyo DisneySea from a sightline/theming perspective is by far the best park in the world and it's a real treat to take it in. The ocean at DisneySea is mesmerizing and contributes further to the realness you feel in the park, and its story, but Hong Kong Disneyland also has mountains. You implement those two things well and you'll have something very special.

The Antartica idea might be something worth surrounding things with like Mysterious Island does. I feel like it might give that vibe off, and a sort of steampunk land could be cool. Nevertheless, extremely original.
For the entrance (sorry for ignoring the question;)) I don't think there's one 'right' answer and honestly I don't know, but something that gives off a feeling of exploration, something that makes you intrigued by what's in store, by what you're stepping foot into. It needs to tie-in with the lands that it shares a sightline with (basically, a volcano, old New York, and Venice work well together), and have smooth transitions if you want to make the park feel stitched together. Which I think the photo below that @WowFactor mentioned really does. Paint the Night has it, the Sochi olympics had it, and I think the park you guys are creating should too:).

I feel like that's PERFECT for the park's entrance plaza. Like DisneySea's globe.
Welcome back David! After your trip to Asia I think your insight and perspectives will be extremely useful to everyone! Thanks for the thoughts and hope to see you around often! :)

spacemt354

Chili's
how about for the entrance do some sort of interactive game kind of like the pirate game in Magic Kingdom but base it off Indiana Jones and the temple of doom it would be nice to see more indiana jones coming to the Disney parks and this way it would be a cheap and fun thing to do for the guest in the park without waiting in the lines could also be thrown into other lands like finding an artifact in the land and scan your game card you get at the start.
That could be pretty cool - definitely take use of interactive games/walkthroughs if we want this park to be about 'exploration'

spacemt354

Chili's
I don't have much more to add right now - so I say let's keep the discussion on this entrance land and park icon - I'll tag a few more into the mix if they'd like to share any opinions.

DISNEY'S LOST WORLDS (HONG KONG DISNEYLAND'S 2ND GATE)
screen-shot-2018-08-13-at-14-22-37-png.303273

Theme Park Premise
"Guests are explorers departing on research expeditions to discover mythic lost civilizations throughout the world, with each "Lost World" being a place where myths live in harmony with nature."

Think this approach could preserve a lot of the nature, myth and culture we've been discussing, but in a more directed and exciting way. Like Disney's Animal Kingdom, animal exhibits line the ruins and make the settings feel lived-in. Lots of worldwide settings are still represented, but in a less "edutaining" way.
The entry land could be a base camp in a remote village where we leave on our adventure. Makes guests the center of the story. Full of artifacts already recovered.

Entrance Land Concept
A village where explorers leave to discover the lost worlds, home to artifact museums, libraries, supply warehouses and other exploration aides.

Some have discussed doing Old Hong Kong as the entry, to satisfy local nostalgia. Ocean Park basically already has this land. Instead I propose something inspired by vintage Southern China mixed with a bit of Thailand - that's the most popular international destination for Chinese tourists so it holds a familiar appeal. Also a bit of a Himalayan foothill village vibe.

While we're discussing dividing most lands into a "local village" and the "lost world" beyond it, this entry land will be just the former. A nearby "lost world" land serves as its counterpart.

Do you like this general idea for this park's entrance land, or how would you plus it?
@tomast
@ChrisFL
@mharrington

spacemt354

Chili's
DISNEY'S LOST WORLDS (HONG KONG DISNEYLAND'S 2ND GATE)
screen-shot-2018-08-13-at-14-22-37-png.303273

Theme Park Premise
"Guests are explorers departing on research expeditions to discover mythic lost civilizations throughout the world, with each "Lost World" being a place where myths live in harmony with nature."

Think this approach could preserve a lot of the nature, myth and culture we've been discussing, but in a more directed and exciting way. Like Disney's Animal Kingdom, animal exhibits line the ruins and make the settings feel lived-in. Lots of worldwide settings are still represented, but in a less "edutaining" way.
The entry land could be a base camp in a remote village where we leave on our adventure. Makes guests the center of the story. Full of artifacts already recovered.

Entrance Land Concept
A village where explorers leave to discover the lost worlds, home to artifact museums, libraries, supply warehouses and other exploration aides.

Some have discussed doing Old Hong Kong as the entry, to satisfy local nostalgia. Ocean Park basically already has this land. Instead I propose something inspired by vintage Southern China mixed with a bit of Thailand - that's the most popular international destination for Chinese tourists so it holds a familiar appeal. Also a bit of a Himalayan foothill village vibe.

While we're discussing dividing most lands into a "local village" and the "lost world" beyond it, this entry land will be just the former. A nearby "lost world" land serves as its counterpart -

@kap91
@Imagineerland
@KentB3

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom