15 February 2003 Site Update: Mission Space Capsule interior photo

Sansaarai

Account Suspended
Originally posted by DisneyKrazed
I've think I have said this before but I don't know how the rider interaction can be with the over the solder harnesses. They don't allow your arms full range of motion and theres only a few positions you can put them in. If you can reach the controls and interact with the ride it will deffinatly be uncomftorable. Thats my only complant with the ride. Besides the fact that over the sholder harnesses provide less protectiong then lab bars. Lap bars hold you in by your waist. OTSH keep you down by your sholders. It make your sholders hurt.

Have you been on the ride?

I don't think Disney would make the ride unconfortable to use given the millions of dollars the company put into this ride.

Brooke

Directory Listing Denied
This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

thats what it says when i click on the link

:(

MonkeyHead

Here's my problem...

Your viewscreen is about the size of a large computer monitor, and its sitting about 4 feet away from you.

Not exactly what I'd call immersive. Oh well, guess we'll have to wait and see.

mickey04

Originally posted by Brooke
Directory Listing Denied

thats what it says when i click on the link

:(

Go to the "Contents" menu on the left hand side of the screen and under "News and Rumors" click on "Mission: Space" that worked for me. ;)

mickey04

Originally posted by mickey04
Go to the "Contents" menu on the left hand side of the screen and under "News and Rumors" click on "Mission: Space" that worked for me. ;)

Never mind, now that's not working either. :(

Sansaarai

Account Suspended
Originally posted by MonkeyHead
Here's my problem...

Your viewscreen is about the size of a large computer monitor, and its sitting about 4 feet away from you.

Not exactly what I'd call immersive. Oh well, guess we'll have to wait and see.

The monitors and controls move toward you once the ride is engaged.

Reading is fun!

Centrifugeer

I've think I have said this before but I don't know how the rider interaction can be with the over the solder harnesses. They don't allow your arms full range of motion and theres only a few positions you can put them in. If you can reach the controls and interact with the ride it will deffinatly be uncomftorable. Thats my only complant with the ride. Besides the fact that over the sholder harnesses provide less protectiong then lab bars. Lap bars hold you in by your waist. OTSH keep you down by your sholders. It make your sholders hurt.

In addition to the capsule being spun at the end of a centrifuge arm, the capsule also has two axis of motion - pitch and roll. If only a lap bar were used, riders would be banged around in the capsule while being subjected to the pitch and roll motions. After many years of study, one thing that Disney has figured out is that guests with concussions and contusions do not make for happy guests. :)

pheneix

>>>The monitors and controls move toward you once the ride is engaged.<<<

I'm not entirely sure that was his point. No matter how close you are to the monitor, it doesn't really the fact that I might as well be playing Jedi Starfighter right now, because at least the visual part of the experience would be the same. Pop in a nice surround sound system and now the audio part of my experience is just as immersive as Mission Space.

The true joy of flying into outer space (at least how it was described to me) is seeing the Earth move away from you as the stars come into full view outside of your window (which is a hell of a lot bigger than a 19-inch monitor). It is a feeling that no one can take away from you, and it is a feeling that I am immensely dissapointed that Disney will not attempt to recreate in detail.

I really don't care how much G-force induced nausia I am forced to go through on this ride*, but if all the immersion I get from the ride is from that, a joystick, and a 19-inch monitor display that shows me computer readouts and maybe a few "simulated" images of what I am "supposed" to see outside if it were not a "training" mission, then Space Mountain would have done a better job of re-creating a truly immersive outer space experience than Mission Space.

* Now before you say, "why do you like roller coasters then," I should add that on a roller coaster, you are able to see the world hundreds of feet below you as you crest a lift hill, get to hear the roar of a coaster as it travels 60+ mph on it's course, get to feel the wind against your face as you fly through the air, and get the holy hell scared out of you as you duck from "head chopper" elements. If you're really lucky, a nice company may also build their ride inside of a gigantic building that is an architectural marvel in itself and use all of the senses to their fullest extent to make you think that you are flying in a rocket through outer space. Once you hop into a simulator you lose all of that, and if you don't believe me go ride Space Mountain at the Magic Kingdom and then go check out Cyber Space Mountain at Disneyquest. They are worlds apart.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by pheneix

I really don't care how much G-force induced nausia I am forced to go through on this ride*, but if all the immersion I get from the ride is from that, a joystick, and a 19-inch monitor display that shows me computer readouts and maybe a few "simulated" images of what I am "supposed" to see outside if it were not a "training" mission, then Space Mountain would have done a better job of re-creating a truly immersive outer space experience than this ride.

From people I have spoken to that have ridden this, it isnt about what you can see, hear, or even the GForces. Its about a total experience that is unique, and beyond comparison in any other park. The feeling of riding this is apparently awesome. :)

Sansaarai

Account Suspended
Its kinda funny that in the last month there has been a backlash against Mission: Space on WDWmagic. I remember when everyone was drooling over this ride.

CTXRover

Originally posted by pheneix
[B.

The true joy of flying into outer space (at least how it was described to me) is seeing the Earth move away from you as the stars come into full view outside of your window (which is a hell of a lot bigger than a 19-inch monitor). It is a feeling that no one can take away from you, and it is a feeling that I am horrified that Disney may not attempt to recreate.
[/B]

I have no idea what you may see on the "monitors", but I have a feeling that Disney MAY create depth in what you see by using something very similar to what is used in the Alien Encounter attraction at DISNEY-QUEST. (Then again maybe not)

I think it is incredible the detail in the pods. When you combine what has been said that these pods not only circle around a centrifuge but also rotate on their axis along with the fact that the individual pods have moving parts, no wonder this is one-of-a-kind attraction! I personally can't wait for it!

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by Sansaarai
Its kinda funny that in the last month there has been a backlash against Mission: Space on WDWmagic. I remember when everyone was drooling over this ride.

Well, I think some of us are becoming more & more critical of M:S as we get more info about this thing. Sure.. this is a 200mil ride... A lot of people hope that its not a 200mil flop and riddled with problems like test track. I am not saying its going to be... still way too early in the game to judge it. :) :wave:

WDW John

I'm also having trouble...

Directory Listing Denied

What gives? I've tried to get in a few different ways and get this message every time?

Can someone post the photo in this thread for those of us who are having trouble?

Thanks,

John

no2apprentice

Fantastic picture! Great work, Steve! It's completely different from what I was expecting, as far as the type of seating.

And, let's face it, the control panels may not be as detailed as the "real thing", but Disney still has to keep them "idiot" proof. If some idiot has access to a possible "souvenir" within arms reach, they'll try to break it off.:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom