15 February 2003 Site Update: Mission Space Capsule interior photo

WDW John

Originally posted by WDWfan2209
I keep clicking on the ink but I'm not getting the photo. Someone help!

Something's up. People are having trouble following the link and an earlier post today had the picture in it but it has been removed. I would speculate that Steve is getting a little stong-arming done to him and that is why the picture is gone and the link un-followable.

We'll have to see what comes about.

John

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by WDW John
Something's up. People are having trouble following the link and an earlier post today had the picture in it but it has been removed. I would speculate that Steve is getting a little stong-arming done to him and that is why the picture is gone and the link un-followable.

We'll have to see what comes about.

John

The file is visible to 99% of people. Could you have a look at http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?threadid=19753
thanks.

ToTBellHop

Do me a favor and watch Apollo 13. I realize the Space Shuttle is different from the Apollos, but the size of our monitors is the exact same size as the views you would have gotten on the Apollos--space travel is not like Star Trek yet, with a giant 30 foot window in the front. This is as authentic as it gets. Also notice that the OTS restraints are not OTS in the sense we normally think of them--RnR style. These are more like backpacks, with one wrapping around each arm, being joined with a lock in the center (most backpacks have these, as well, and people just don't wear them. I think disney did a knock-up job with making this ride look authentic...now I hope they deliver on the overall experience (which, I believe, they will). While this means soft opening is still months away, at least we know that Disney has figured out how to make this ride work...hopefully that will allow for pretty quick construction of the other centrifuges--may be open sometime this summer, after all. Anyway, I know I'm impressed with the authenticity...you can tell Disney worked with former NASA astronauts on this.

WDW John

I agree

Originally posted by DogsRule!
These are more like backpacks, with one wrapping around each arm, being joined with a lock in the center (most backpacks have these, as well, and people just don't wear them.

It looks to me like they are similar to five-point racing harnesses. They would hold you firmly to the seat but give your arms the freedom to move around normally, unlike on RnR where your arms only have very limited movement.

On a side note, I'm excited to see Horizons being turned to M:S. I always liked Horizons but it focused on 3 topics; vaguely, space development, sea development and desert development. It always seemed to me that a lot of the sea stuff was covered in The Living Seas and that much of the desert stuff was covered in The Land.

Changing the focus strictly to space will provide a more enhanced environment to learn about that one specific topic. Yeah, learn. I realize that many people are disappointed with Test Track, saying it's just a weak 'thrill ride', but I know I learned a thing or two there and had a lot of fun. I also make sure to go on it a few times during my stay.

Just because M:S will be a simulated ride doesn't mean it can't be educational.

One other thing, a few people have said something along the lines of "Who wants to be educated on vacation?". The type of education you get at EPCOT is not the same as the type of education you get sitting in a class room for 6 hours a day. It is presented in a much simpler and more interesting way than say, Trigonometry.

John

SirNim

:eek: :eek:

COOL!!!

*rubs eyes with his fists*:dazzle:

:slurp:

:dazzle: :dazzle:

That's Awesome!!!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is nothing like I expected. I expected 2 in front and 2 in back like normal rides. This is Awesome. Keep us updated with everything you got thanks

ToTBellHop

people say it looks cramped...but if you consider that each of the four centrifuges will have 10 pods this large (must be 12-14 feet long) you get an idea of the scale of this ride...if you figure on 10 feet between pods (24 feet for each pod, then, we'll say), you get a circumference of 240 feet...diameter of about 80 feet...it'll be pretty impressive looking w/ four of them, but I can't imagine how many Cast Members it will take to run this with that many pods, a standy, Fastpass, and a Single Rider line...plus the post-show...gonna take a lot...

WDWKing

Frankly, I'm just a little disappointed. From the looks of it, it seems that the only viewing experience one will have is from a monitor. I mean, besides the g-force, I might as well be playing a computer game. Before I saw this photo, I was picturing a decent sized pod where 2 people face each other (4 total) and screens immerse you in the environment, with a little console infront of everyone (joysticks, some little buttons, etc.) Oh man, Disney better not have @#$#% up by destroying Horizons for this.

Nightwing

I think the pic looks great! I can't wait to see how they get you into the pods. I hope it really well themed to set the mood for the ride! Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by MonkeyHead
Here's my problem...

Your viewscreen is about the size of a large computer monitor, and its sitting about 4 feet away from you.

Not exactly what I'd call immersive. Oh well, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Read the article don't just look at the pictures, thats for playboy. It says the monitors and controlls move forward, this also ends the OTSH debate.

Daannzzz

Great Pics. I was just looking to see how washable the interiors were.
I may be able to ride this only once as I get sick doing a teeter totter with my great nephew!!! I am not particularly excited by this ride but I do beleive a lot of people don't understand that it will not be like sitting in a room in front of a video game!!!! There are dynamics going on with this gizmo that you have not yet felt in your life.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by WDWKing
Frankly, I'm just a little disappointed. From the looks of it, it seems that the only viewing experience one will have is from a monitor. I mean, besides the g-force, I might as well be playing a computer game. Before I saw this photo, I was picturing a decent sized pod where 2 people face each other (4 total) and screens immerse you in the environment, with a little console infront of everyone (joysticks, some little buttons, etc.) Oh man, Disney better not have @#$#% up by destroying Horizons for this.

You could not have two people facing each other if you want the centrifuge to work. In order to simulated zero gravity in a centrifuge, guests must be on their backs. This cockpit is set up the exact same way as it is in a Space Shuttle. It is confined, because you don't waste space in something so high-tech trying to do something so dangerous. They are simulating a real, NASA-style space flight here...not a Jules Verne joy ride in space. The purpose of a space shuttle is not go give astronauts beautiful, panoramic shots of earth...and frankly, giant windows on a vessel designed to withstand temperatures in excess of 3000º while going up to 19000 mph would not be safe. Disney is being realistic with this--don't expect to see Mickey Mouse doing a space walk on this one...

Sansaarai

Account Suspended
Originally posted by ArchiDanDisney
Read the article don't just look at the pictures, thats for playboy. It says the monitors and controlls move forward, this also ends the OTSH debate.

Talk about not reading something...........

What I find interesting is that the riders seem isolated from each other. The walls that seperate each rider look to large. I wonder how we will interact on the ride.

JRead

"It says the monitors and controlls move forward, this also ends the OTSH debate."

--- hmm. I can see where the control panels/ monitors would pivot in to make them closer. But there's something troubling me. Will they have the ability to see inside each vechicle via video? What if something happens in an individual car (fire, smoke, loose harness)? With no seperation between you and the electronics that would suck. Also, say the ride loses power, with these things pivoted in there would be no way to get out since they'll block the entrance/ exit based on the photo.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by JRead
"It says the monitors and controlls move forward, this also ends the OTSH debate."

--- hmm. I can see where the control panels/ monitors would pivot in to make them closer. But there's something troubling me. Will they have the ability to see inside each vechicle via video? What if something happens in an individual car (fire, smoke, loose harness)? With no seperation between you and the electronics that would suck. Also, say the ride loses power, with these things pivoted in there would be no way to get out since they'll block the entrance/ exit based on the photo.

I wouldnt be concerned about any of that. Disney take safety above anything else. You can be sure there will be every safety mechanism in place to ensure your safety during the ride.

JRead

I wasnt really concerned, just thinking aloud really about contigencies that I'm sure somebody is responsible to address. Think about it though, nobody has ever created a complex system like this which will be required to run this often. There are other things too, like with the screen so close I feel bad for any one who barfs.

figment99

absolutely amazing. . . I can see that the imagineers have spent a _lot_ of time on this. Look at the detail. . . and despite all the naysayers I've been seeing recently on this thread, just from oogling over the picture it looks to be a wonderful ride.

BTW, anyone know where each "officer", such as the pilot, navigator, etc, sits in that row?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom